UCIPA - Steelhead Brewing Co.

UCIPA
No picture uploaded.

Steelhead Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: IntriqKen on 08-20-2006)
Reviews by BeerEngineer:
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

General - My first time to Steelhead Brewery I had the UCIPA. I saw on BA that it was retired so I asked the bartender about it. I guess that a couple years ago they had to stop making it, he didn't give the reason why. What they ended up doing was finding the 2006 GABF Silver Medal recipe and re-brewing it. I had a sampler of it, along with picking up a growler of it.

Appearance - Really nice amber color with no haze at all. Completely clean beer for sure! The head was OK on the tap, but out of the growler the next day it was nonexistent as expected.

Aroma - The aroma is awesome, there is a blast of citrus to it with a touch of pine. A nice malty backbone is detectable but not overpowering.

Taste - This is a pretty good IPA. In my opinion it's not really worthy of a Silver Medal at GABF anymore, but maybe in 2006 it was. It's got a nice hit of citrus in the forefront with a malt ending. A bitterness that is moderate in today's standards but was very refreshing.

Mouthfeel - A little bit on the thin side of the spectrum for an IPA but acceptable still. No alcohol warming or carbonation tingle, just a smooth drinking IPA. Refreshing for the 100 degree weather that we were having outside when I drank this.

Overall - Ok, nothing to write home about but a good example of an IPA. Seems like it is missing something for an IPA based on the current status of IPAs in this country. Everything seems to have over 80 IBU with a bitterness that will pucker your mouth. This was refreshingly lighter on the hops. It's a good introduction to hoppy beers for people who don't enjoy them because it is pretty smooth drinking. I'd have this again, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find it. If I find myself in Irvine again I'll order one, otherwise I don't think that I'll be drinking much of this.

BeerEngineer, Jun 30, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +36.7%

IPA at this location is named for the college across the street from the Brew Pub - University of California at Irvine - UCIPA
Enjoyed this on tap at the brewpub.
Pours a cloudy soft amber orange with a moderate off-white head that melts to very sticky lacing.
Aroma is sweet honey malt and intensely bright orange hops.
Taste is lightly honey-sweet at first then citrus hops take over....orange....orange peel to lemon peel to grapefruit drying on the finish. Grapefruit becomes more intense, taking over, as the beer warms.
Mouthfeel is full and smooth with a tingling carbonation brightness. Nice.
Slightly cloying aftertaste but the continuing citrus hop drying makes you look for another swallow.

IntriqKen, Sep 03, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

shade13, Jul 25, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

I used to enjoy this UCIPA all through 2006 with my BA bud IntriqKen but something changed. Maybe the yeast that they use? Not sure but it used to be a fresh bright hoppy IPA. Last night it was chalky, lightly Sweet Tart chalky and underwhelming. Bummer. Granted I finished my pint and it wasn't awful, mind you, but this tastes like amature brew. This is coming from the biggest brewpub junkie that you'll ever meet and I truly hope that the next batch rekindles the awesome UCIPA that I used to enjoy in 2006 of yore!

blitheringidiot, Feb 14, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

Man, I'm pissed they ditched the Bombay IPA for this. Hops shortage?

Pours a bright amber orange. Almost no head. Smells faintly of citrus. Taste is mostly citrus with maybe a bit of grapefruit ... not very strong tasting anyway. Almost no aroma. Thin mouthfeel ... blargh.

Overlord, Aug 12, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

t0rin0, Feb 20, 2013
UCIPA from Steelhead Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.