Fat-Ten-Er #2 - New England Brewing Co.

Fat-Ten-Er #2
No picture.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: MooltiPass on 11-16-2013

Dry-hopped with Galaxy and Citra hops.
4.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Like almost all New England beers this one has an unbelievable hop aroma. Very similar to Ghandi bot. Not quite on the same par, but very very close. (151 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

32oz NEBCO growler poured into a G-Bot branded snifter glass (beer geek...yes, understood)

A - Pours a hazy, ripe apricot color with about a single finger of white head. Absolutely DIPA perfection. (5.0)

S - Intensely aromatic and incredibly juicy. Peaches, mango, orange, tangerine, grapefruit along with a hint of pine resin waft from the glass. There is also confectionery sweetness that may be due to an addition of dextrose. (4.75)

T - Much like th aroma, the tropical fruit and citrus medley found in the nose dances on the palate. The mild pine makes for a gentle and drying bitterness that compliments the beer very well. (4.75)

M - Medium body, delicate carbonation and a dry finish makes for one dangerously drinkable DIPA. I do, however, wish it possessed a more aggressive carbonation to better open tickle the palate. (4.5)

O - This is very reminiscent of the highly sought after Sip Of Sunshine from Lawson's. As such, I will give Fat-Ten-Er #2 the ever so slight edge because the raw bitterness is softer than that of SoS. What's more (and although great for what it is), I even enjoy this more than their flagship DIPA, Gandhi-Bot. NEBCO certainly knows hops and this is no exception...the fact that do not can this beer is my only gripe. (4.75) (1,266 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L: Hazy copper that pours with an orange hued head that turns white and leave a stringy lacing
S: The citrus aromas you'd expect from a galaxy hopped beer are first apparent but then the more funky and fruity citra hops dominate late. Very complex aromas.
T: Grapefruit, orange and pine flavors mix it up beautifully with a very mild sweetness. The flavors are extremely mouthwatering in the literal sense.
F: Some might consider it a little too bitter but I think it's spot on and fits NEBCO's style. Despite the bite, it had a very nice mouthfeel that is not soft and prickly thanks to a great carb. Drinks smooth without booziness but there's no mistaking this as a DIPA.
O: Definitely one of NEBCO's best. I have to say that I disagree with the Gandhi-bot comparisons. They are both amazing beers but their flavor profile are not at all similar. (849 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Growler. Perhaps my favorite brewery finally entering my mouth again after leaving the state of Connecticut. A Double IPA with Galaxy and Citra hops? Sign me up, bro. Pours a murky yellow color. Head was thin and soft with lacing. Aroma is pungent and perfumey. Packed with all the tropical fruit those hops can bring forth. Citra and Galaxy are very easy to pick up. Hops bomb dedicated to these two varietals. The flavor actually didn't please me quite as much as the aroma did. The intensity is slightly lower. A glass full of exotic hop-fruit flavors. It finishes just a bit too quick. Not as bitter as I was expecting, either. It was clearly very tasty and my standards for NEBCO are far too high. It's still turned out to be a downright delicious beer, however I could have seen it really popping with a few tweaks. (821 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Date: 10/29/14
Location: New England Brewing Co.
Draught/Bottle: Growler
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Gold to light amber in color. The High carbonation that is bone whit in color is trying to cling to every part of the glass. Just tilting it to the light and I see the beer release CO2. Nice head decent retention, fair amount of cling.
Aroma: The citra hops supply much to the aroma as I get a lot of grapefruit, pineapple and some lemon. The galaxy absolutely absolutely adds more citrus aroma but it also gives it a drier/earthier aroma then Fat-Ten-Er-#11. A light biscuit smell from the pale hops is evident even when the beer is still cool.
Taste: The citrus is large in the flavor. More citrus fruits, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and a hint of lemon. The beer is perfectly balanced between hop sensations dank, dry and resinous. The blend is perfect.
Mouthfeel: Medium High to High body. Medium High carbonation. So much of this beer sits on my tongue well after the finish that it seems to add weight to the beer. Its a touch drying and resinous. (1,062 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +6.6%

I'm going back and reviewing some of my favorite beers I've had since my previous ratings now mean nothing. Fat Ten Er #2 is one of my top 3 favorite NEBCo beers. The other two being Coriolis and Locust Reign. I wish that one day I could compare all 3 side by side, but unfortunately, that tasting has only occurred in my dreams. (331 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from growler into NEBCO Gandhi-Bot glass.

Hazy orange. Thin white head. Sticky lacing. Looks just like the Bot.

Stinks of peaches pineapples mangos and kiwis. Both dank and sweet at the same time.

My mouth gets a lot of the same flavors w the residual bitter sweetness I expect from a bomb DIPA. Finishes very similar to Gandhi Bot. Again dank bitter and sweet collide in perfect harmony.

The mouthfeel is perfect. Not too thin or too chewy. Just smooth and silky. Little bubbly. Just great.

Overall top 5 DIPA I have ever had. Not as much going on as HT but right up there w it and GBot. I side by sided GBot and HT and gave the nod to GBot so idk where I'd put this beer but it's right up there and it's simply amazing. Hides the alcohol so well and just tastes amazing. Hope they make it a staple. Matt and Rob, everything they touch turns to gold. Their mantra is so true, "Drink It. It's Good!" (911 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had a grolwer of this, didn't review it at the time. Nothing much I want to say besides that it completely blew me away. Different hop profile than Gandhi but just as profound. I think that many would prefer this DIPA to Heady if only they were able to try it!

NEBCo is godlike. I really hope this thing comes around more. (325 characters)

4.56/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall a little less bitter than Gandhi with a similar hop profile and depth. Golden hazy pour with soapy big bubbles. Floral and belgian yeast bubblegum smell. Nicely hopped with a pleasent bite and grassy citrus notes. Smooth carb and slightly creamy (253 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

NEBCO DIPA hopped with Galaxy and Citra? Yes Please.

Got a nice 64 ounce pour into my stainless steel society growler.

A crystal clear pour into my tree house goblet - golden with amber hues. Biiig boy white head.

Smells like citrus, mango, and peach. Citrusy sweet hops work well with the galaxy hop bite. NEBCO can't be stopped. Ghandi bot is a home run but this is a grand slam.

This beer is well balanced and the 8.2 is perfectly hidden

I hope this one sticks. These guys are on fire. If this was NBA jam it'd be game over. They have ipas/dipas down to a science. (576 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 32 oz. half growler poured directly from the tank, pre kegged, into a DFH IPA glass

A) Nice golden hue with about an inch of frothy foam that quickly subsides.

S) Peach and mango with a little grapefruit going on.

M) The combination of the Citra & Galaxy hops are great. You get the sweetness of the citra with the sharp pithiness of the galaxy. Wow.

M) Smooth

O) Need this in the rotation. Great beer! NebCo strikes again! (435 characters)

Fat-Ten-Er #2 from New England Brewing Co.