Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2010 - 750ml bottle and Groucho glasses label change
2011 - bottle date added to label
2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006)

Okay being born in New Haven and an area resident I couldn't wait to try this when it came out. I immediately dismissed anything coming from this brewery as CT is not known as a state that produces great beer. I couldn't help but notice all the hype surrounding this beer and very grateful to have this gem in my backyard. I will make a long story short.... Did it live up to the hype??? Was it really as good as everyone said it would be??? The answer is a resounding "YES!!"... I think it is absolutely fantastic!

Appearance - Poured into a tulip glass and got to see the color is jet black... almost purple..

Smell - Wow the smell is great. Not an overwhelming alcohol smell at all. Very nice!

Taste - Okay this is one of the greatest stouts I've had. Cannot believe this year it is 9.3% abv because the alcohol is very well hidden! can't taste it at all. Great
Taste!

Mouthfeel - I can only reiterate how great this tasted. Not overwhelming. I love founders breakfast stout and I was amazed that I think this beats it. It is not a problem to swish this around in your mouth it is delicious.

Drinkability - This stuff is dangerous. I could drink this on a hot summer day and the high abv make it something you don't want to drink too much of.

Very well done New England! I can't believe a beer this good is brewed so close to me! You deserve serious kudos for creating this fabulous stout!

Beer is subjective and I don't boast that I know more than anyone else, but for my opinion, this is the best beer I've ever had. It's black as ink with a coffee head that will last long after the sun burns out. The smell is laced with coffee and dark chocolate notes. The taste is amazing with coffee and sweetness from the malt coming in at different times during the taste. It's complex, yet without being overbearing. The mouthfeel is pure velvet and coats your throat down to your stomach. This is the beer that I compare all other stouts to.

2009-10 bottle into a tulip glass.

A = Thick, black and opaque. Thick, half-inch beige head forms a few seconds after pour and remains.

S = Chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, roast, caramel -- just exceptional.

T = Similar to smell -- chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, roast, caramel, vanilla. Very, very well-balanced as nothing stands out.

M = Thick and viscous. Exactly how I like my Stouts to feel -- heavy and chewy.

D = Very, very easy to drink and down-right dangerous. This is my favorite stout hands down. Glad to have a few bottles. The Trooper is dead. Long live the Trooper!

Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.