1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2010 - 750ml bottle and Groucho glasses label change
2011 - bottle date added to label
2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 940 | Reviews: 465 | Show All Ratings:
Genuine

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at New England Brewing Tap Takeover night at New York Pizza and Pasta Co. in Plainfield, CT this past weekend.

Poured a beautiful ebony in color with a dark cream head that produced some beautiful lacing down the sides of the glass.

First whiff came up with the essensce of the roasted malts, giving off coffee/dark chocolate aroma. This is very pleasant. Noticed a slight bit of alcohol in it, not much.

Taste - I had high expectations of this one ever since I saw it come out this past year. This one met it all. Very dark and rich with it's malty flavors. Coffee taste with a nice hops bite. The hops really help mellow out this amazing stout.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, well brewed. The carbonation is on point for a stout of this stature.

Overall - I would definitely have again. What an amazing Connecticut brewed beer. Can't wait for the colder months to arrive so I can fully enjoy this!

08-21-2011 17:13:48 | More by Genuine
Slatetank

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I enjoyed this on tap courtesy of Stakem, thanks again man!

Enjoyed chilled slightly from a snifter a perfect choice for a 90 degree day.

A solid dark brown body with creamy beige cap similar to the colors of milky way when you look at the cross section after biting a hunk off. The smell is very malted milk ball-esque very creamy and has light caramel with a goodly amount of sweetness. The feel is full bodied with a mild roasted element, more caramel and toasted yet still pretty smooth and has light bitterness throughout. The quality of the feel is interesting is I perceive a smaller stout as I drink it which is unusual.

The flavor is so malty yet layered with lots of different elements, sure there is the malt flavor which is pretty nice and caramel saturated, but the yeast gives a nice gentle fruitiness underneath the sweet elements and mild roasted tinges. The flavor has a good toasted grain tinge and accents of hops and alcohol buoy the overall Imperial quality of the stout, I will say again this is so well crafted it gives the impression of a mid strength not a high gravity stout. The smooth cocoa element is what stands out to me with some woody elements and gentle alcohol in the finish w/ some pine notes from the hops. The beer finishes semi-dry. I think Imperial Stout Trooper deserves all the praise it gets it is such a splendid Imperial Stout it is a great example of the style. New England Crafted a great brew, thanks Stakem for sharing this delicious beer!

06-13-2011 17:01:53 | More by Slatetank
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed from notes 4/16/11:

A: Pitch black, about an inch of mocha brown head.

S: Chocolate, touch of coffee, little molasses.

T: This is pretty much a chocolate bomb with a good depth of chocolate malt, but that's pretty much all it is. While it does have a little coffee and molasses sweetness, there really isn't any hop character to speak of nor any other real depth. Alcohol is pretty much no where to be found though.

M: Thick and viscous, chewy. This is probably the best aspect of the beer. While it isn't the biggest mouthfeel I've had, it is extremely smooth and isn't oily like some heavy alcohol stouts can be.

O: This is a really enjoyable RIS with a great mouthfeel, but I feel it falls short compared to the cream of the crop. I had this a couple days ago practically side by side with Founders Imperial Stout and with a BORIS just a few days before that. It just doesn't match the complexity and depth of those other brews. I've heard a ton of hype around this beer, it just doesn't stack up. A delicious beer, but a not world class IMHO.

04-18-2011 00:42:09 | More by Satchboogie
Patrickbrusil

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

This was on tap at Redbones BBQ in Somerville's Davis Square.

Ok - thick black appearance with a mocha colored head that won't give up. Dark and beautiful.

Smell - fought to make it out as I am in a BBQ joint with the aroma of ribs and pulled pork throughout. But strong chocolate, coffee, malty, and roasted overtones make my way into the nostrils after a few good sniffs.

Taste: shear joy. It has the mouthfeel and creaminess of a chocolate shake. I kid you not. Many RIS tend to be oily. This is thick and rich and milkshake like with a wonderful chocolate and mocha flavor. Creamy and wonderful.

Everything I was hoping for.

04-17-2011 03:38:34 | More by Patrickbrusil
celticfutblclub

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

on tap at redbones 4/15/2011

A - a nice black body with no light getting through. brownish head about an inch thick sits on top.

S - chocolate and malts are the main smell here. pretty good but nothing super amazing.

T - ah here is where the amazing is at. chocolate and malts with a good amount of hops which i did not expect. such a rich beer but yet so drinkable.

M - really good mouthfeel here its nice and coarse and has a perfect level of carbonation.

O - such a good beer and so glad i ran over to redbones to grab this bad boy.

04-15-2011 21:54:36 | More by celticfutblclub
tigg924

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: minimal head, clear, black in color

Smell: roasted malt and chocolate-smell is not overly strong

Taste: deep dark coffee and roasted malt touch of burnt hops at the end

Mouthfeel: robust and medium-full bodied, sweetish with a nice semi-bitter backbone, low carbonation

Drinkability:A nice and dry RIS that is very enjoyable to drink, but perhaps not as good as the hype. I could definitely have a couple of glasses, but will not go out of my way for this one. A very good beer none the less.

01-21-2011 16:25:00 | More by tigg924
circlenine

4.38/5  rDev +4%

I had this on tap at the brewery 12/18/10.

A: Deep dark brown with light tan head, about a finger and a half. Head subsides slowly into the brew.

S: Rich and deep. If you've ever smelled anything like it, you know what I'm talking about. If not, well, you're missing out. This stout reminds me of the gal from the high school dance that no matter how cute she was and how dorky one may be, she was definitely approachable from across a crowded room and there was no fear of rejection.

T: Amazing. Get one. Try one. Love one. Repeat.

D: This stout is smooth! Easy to drink whether on tap or from the bottle. At 8.5%, the ABV is just right so as to enjoy the full bottle and remember it when you're done.

Comments: Sometimes simple is better. This tastes like a Russian Imperial Stout should taste. At a time when other breweries are trying to do so many different things to stand out, I say Amen to NEBCO for keeping the RIS real and not trying to do too much with it. There is no need to reinvent the wheel when it tastes this good. Major kudos on the new label art.

12-19-2010 02:51:24 | More by circlenine
jlindros

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey. Finally got around to posting the review. I was going to wait to crack a bottle and go over my review again, but since LucasArts asked for a cease and desist on the label, the bottle value skyrocketed and I don't think I'll be cracking one anytime soon.

A: Incredibly dark with a small but super rich, thick, and dark creamy head that slowly fades. I can almost feel the darkness of space sucking me into it. No light can escape from it, either from being a vaccuum of light or the dark side of the force is strong in it (OK, not more Star Wars jokes).

N: Roast up the wazzoo! I feel like my nose is roasting itself just from the aroma. Some black patent malt aromas also stick out, with hints of dark chocolate and some almost spicy hop character.

T: Again loaded with roast. It has some stouty earthy bitter dry char and scorched malt flavors. Some rich dark fruit flavors, but still thick and kinda velvety. Some bitterness that probably comes from the stout taste combined with a little hop character, that adds a little spiciness. Some sweetness with a little bakers chocolate and a little creamy milk chocolate. HInts of coffee come with the roast that is so strong is almost feels like my tongue is being roasted (same joke twice, lame but whatever). More sweet malt flavors, but no boozy taste at all.

M: very thick with some velvety feel, lower carbonation but good for the style.

F: Semi dry actually, mostly from the bitter earthy dry roasted char from the crazy roasted malt flavors and bitter black patent malt. The bitter earthy "stout" taste seems to linger with it, and a little more chocolate and dark fruit come out late on the finish. The taste also sticks with me for hours after I'm done drinking as it seems to have filled all the pours in my mouth and acted like concrete to just settle and never leave. It's a delicious beer that lives up to the hype. I can only imagine how smooth it'll be after a couple years of aging.

02-02-2010 18:13:50 | More by jlindros
mjn5036

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Had the pleasure of finding this brew on tap the Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. Received from draft in a twelve ounce pub glass. The dark atmosphere made it hard to get a good look at the color and opacity but from what I could tell it was jet black, allowing no light to pierce it. A short wispy, mocha colored head was fading away as I was handed the beer. It was served to me at a pleasantly warm temperature...glad they know what they are doing there. I can clearly smell coffee, followed by bitter chocolate and burnt maltiness. Faint hops and alcohol in there as well. Nothing too complex coming from this beer. The taste is what you would imagine from the smell; coffee and bitter chocolate with a slight hop and alcohol at the end helping to give it a smooth finish. Some pleasant fruit notes emerge from the darkness. It is very drinkable, evidenced by the three glasses I quickly drank. The body however was lacking. Maybe this is a tap issue? Most reviews I have read from the bottle say the body is great, but to me it was thin on the palate. I would have expected it to be more viscous, creamy and rich. Don't get me wrong, this was a great beer that I am really glad to have tried, but still not the best stout I have ever had and I was expecting a little more complexity from it.

01-30-2010 18:35:13 | More by mjn5036
woosterbill

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a 3/4 pint.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights around the extreme edges; small head of deep brown foam that quickly dissipates to a fine cap and ring. Pretty standard for an RIS on tap.

S: Sharp roasted malt aroma with bitter coffee dominant and dark chocolate close behind. Some hops on the tail end, as well as a hint of alcoholic warmth.

T: Powerful yet restrained medley of roasted malts (like the nose, more coffee than chocolate) and a large amount of cleanly bitter hops. Some rich dark fruits emerge as it warms, with overripe plums and raisins. Sweet without being the least bit cloying. Fantastic.

M: Big, smooth full body with a generous dose of cleansing, velvety effervescence. Perfect.

D: Astounding balance of rich malts and bitter hops, and no trace of alcohol on the palate. This is a supremely drinkable RIS.

Notes: Worth they hype on tap, but still inferior to the bottle I had (curses that I was so excited to drink it that I didn't take notes, and haven't been able to find another bottle since). This is definitely a world-class stout, and I can only imagine how great this would become with some age on it.

Cheers!

01-24-2010 21:11:56 | More by woosterbill
cbutova

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours pitch black into a snifter at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester. One finger light cocoa colored head with good retention. Head is creamy with small bubbles and after it dissipates a small cloud coats the top of the beer. Thick lacing coats the glass as I drink this one down. Smell blasts me with coffee initially and then huge roasty malts. Earthy hops are also in the mix. I also get a burnt sugar/caramel malt scent too. This is a pretty standard RIS smell, nothing really jumps out at me. A bit more strength on the smell would be nice. Taste is gigantically roasty malts. They coat the sides of my tongue while earthy hops hit the middle. I like the earthy hops and how they work but I think they are a bit generic for a hop taste. Cant get the coffee in the taste but the roasted malts are good enough to satisfy me. I burp out fresh hops. Mouthfeel is silky smooth medium thick bodied with lower carbonation. This level of gas suits the tastes very well. Alcohol is pretty non-existant in the taste and MF. Huge coat of hops stays on the tongue after sipping. Drinkability is nice. The taste is worth the price I paid for this on-tap. It is not too over the top for an RIS and is a great example of the style. The roasty flavors are what I look for in an RIS, no cocoa/coffee take over here. The hops are the only thing here that may be overdone/a bit generic. No real off flavors, I can't wait to try this one aged from the bottle (the hops die down and this may become perfect).

01-10-2010 00:46:08 | More by cbutova
Chico1985

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Can't tell you how stoked I was to find this on tap last night at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Had 2 of these poured into snifters. Pitch black like the dark side with an excellent brown head, absolutely thick and creamy looking. Smells great of chocolate, roasted malts. Taste is unbelievable - the head is probably the creamiest I have ever tasted, literally tastes and feels of ice cream. Loads of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, a bit of vanilla. Mouthfeel is perfect, extremely smooth and creamy. I could swear they forgot to put alcohol in this because I didn't taste any. Drinkability is about as good as an RIS can get, I had 2 of these along with a Sculpin on-tap (!) without much of a problem. Exceptional to say the least, lives up to the hype.

**1/6/11**
Enjoying a 2010 750ml right now, excellent. Everything listed above with some hints of smoke, molasses and licorice. Not much of a hop presence, this is all about those beautiful stouty malts. Not a hint of the ABV which seems to have been changed from 8.5% to 9.2%. Extremely drinkable. Pricey but worth it as a special occasion beer.

01-03-2010 18:53:34 | More by Chico1985
mikey711

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this on tap over the weekend at Julians in providence RI. I wrote some notes on a napkin so bear with me. It was poured into a tulip glass with an overflowing dark brown head on top of a motor oil black.

it smelled amazing. lots of roastiness, coffee, toffee, burnt caramel, chocolate. everything you could want in a stout as each flavor was distinct yet together.

it tasted much of the same. all the flavors came through...as it warmed it got a bit roastier which was great.

The problem with this beer is that i was so good and drinkable that i could have many many more and there isnt that much to go around.

06-17-2009 00:38:22 | More by mikey711
BColton1

Rhode Island

4.38/5  rDev +4%

On tap at Track 84.

Served in a tulip.

Just lighter than motor oil (color-wise) with a chocolate look at the top of the glass.

Smell is light with hinks of chocolate and coffee.

Taste is well balanced with a little more alcohol up front.

Mothfeel is medium bodied.

One of the top 3 stouts I have had the opportunity to taste.

03-17-2009 13:07:19 | More by BColton1
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Had on tap at Track 84. Served in a tulip ($7 a glass). Poured Two shades shy of black with some light penetration and reddish-brown highlights around the base of the glass. Tight, half inch creamy, mocha-colored cap eventually settles into a thin, broken skim. Head is refreshed with a gentle swirl of the glass. Spots and slashes of lacing are revealed as the brew is consumed; good adhesion. Nose is somewhat subdued, but yields cocoa, coffee and brown sugar. Taste follows nose - good balance without too much hops to throw it off. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with light carbonation; not overly viscous or chewy. This is perhaps one of the most drinkable and well-balanced RIS's I've had the opportunity to try. Unfortunately, the rarity and price tag make it fairly inaccessible.

03-13-2009 23:24:37 | More by Jwale73
DNICE555

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

I was lucky enough to have this beer on tap at the Plan B in Simsbury,CT. Served in a Pint Glass. (I don't believe the bartender at the time knew how strong it was)

I've been drinking craft beers for about a year and this beer has inspired me to write my first review.

First noticed a thick dark brown head staying with me until about half the pint was gone. (I drank this very slowly because of how strong it was and because I didn't want it to end) The color bared a close resemblance to motor oil. In the aroma I sensed many notes of chocolate as well as a bitterness. I could detect the alcohol but it was a positive, adding to the warmness of the beer. Then comes the flavour exploding in my mouth with all the malt, caramel, and hop undertone goodness coming through. Mouthfeel is rich creamy goodness, really fills your palate. Drinkability is amazing for the style. Favorite beer from my favorite style.

02-26-2009 21:59:34 | More by DNICE555
RblWthACoz

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with a tan head. Nose is mild. Malts and very mild coffee. Flavor has a noticeable sweet character but its just smooth as silk. Great balances. Very smooth liquid feel and a low but appreciable carbonation. This is a great RIS. So easy to drink.

02-26-2008 15:53:18 | More by RblWthACoz
erosier

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Not only a catchy name and funny bottle but it delivers on so many levels. On tap at Delaney's Tap Room in New Haven, CT for a while which is where I got it.

L: Pours a deep black color with a tall and thick brown colored head that laces the glass a lot as it fades slowly down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet and bitter roasted malts, some coffee, chocolate, caramel flavors, and a hint of vinous fruit. A slight hop aroma at the end finishes the smell.
T: Tastes even better than it smells! Big roasted barley malt that is both sweet and bitter. There are then bold flavors of chocolate, caramel, and coffee all intertwined. There is a slight hop characteristic but then finishes with a nice sweet and bold and slightly bitter taste.
M: Very smooth, thick, warming, and the right amount of carbonation.
D: Extremely drinkable and well worth every penny. This beer is all around smooth and it finishes really well. From start to finish this is one very drinkable and excellent beer.

The Force is Strong with This One.

10-04-2007 17:23:24 | More by erosier
xthemystic

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

From the tap at Delaney's, down the street from the brewery:

A- Completely opaque black, doesn't let any light through. Espresso-colored foam persists and stick cloyingly to the glass.

S- Smells fresh, the way beer usually smells at the brewery or brew-pub. Sweet and fresh that blends with more complex chocolate and malt aroma.

T- Bitter and sweet at once, segwaying into sweet then bitter, bitter espresso/coffee with a background malt sugar caramel then tingling ethanol finish one expects from an imperial stout. overall: bitter to sweet to coffee to coffee-caramel to ethanol.

M- Thick mouthfeel upfront with a smooth backslide and ends in a dryness that complements the ethanol finish.

D- Personally i think this is pretty drinkable, but for the average palate it may be something to have once in a while. Very intense and strong. Probably not most people's idea of a session beer, but what imperial stouts are?

And by the way, the bottle is awesome, and the guys down at the brewery are pretty cool too, if you get a chance to meet them. Personally, i think it's the best beer they've put out. Nice job with this one.

07-02-2007 17:20:07 | More by xthemystic
SLeffler27

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Inky black (SRM 40+) in a Dogfish Head snifter. A thin, dark chestnut, creamy head quickly becomes nothing more than a ring above a thick, viscous film. Tiny carbonation lazily develops from within.

The aroma is that of rich, luscious chocolate syrup, followed by heavily roasted, almost burnt malt. Ground coffee makes way for a lactose aroma. Warmth brings out some vanilla.

Roasted bitterness amplifies a chocolate/coffee balance as anticipated from the nose. Sweetness comes out in the middle, giving way to a milk stout finish. Warmth develops the coffee flavors and, very late, brings out a hint of brandy.

This one has a full body and syrupy smooth texture. It is almost flat, with fine carbonation. Well controlled alcohol ultimately dries out the beer.

This is a fine Stout to enjoy while reading on a wet autumn day. While it lacks the intensity I seek from this style, I imagine it would be enhanced by chocolate-covered coffee beans.

03-16-2014 22:39:18 | More by SLeffler27
alaimoa

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is right into the top tier of stouts with tons of roastiness and complexity.
A: jet black with a few inches of puffy mocha head and sticky clouds left all over the glass
A: roasted coffee, bakers chocolate, burnt brown sugar
T: coffee notes dominate with a mix of brewed and grinds adding some bitterness. Very roasty with a touch of bitterness
M: smooth, thick, sticky coating finish

Serving type: growler

03-13-2014 19:49:52 | More by alaimoa
WhiteHillsStore

Connecticut

Beer is subjective and I don't boast that I know more than anyone else, but for my opinion, this is the best beer I've ever had. It's black as ink with a coffee head that will last long after the sun burns out. The smell is laced with coffee and dark chocolate notes. The taste is amazing with coffee and sweetness from the malt coming in at different times during the taste. It's complex, yet without being overbearing. The mouthfeel is pure velvet and coats your throat down to your stomach. This is the beer that I compare all other stouts to.

03-05-2014 17:35:49 | More by WhiteHillsStore
stephens101

Oklahoma

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

This one has been on my want list for a long time. Thanks to PrimeBeer for the hookup!

Dark tan head on top of a pitch black brew, and that's what we're looking for.

Smells of molasses, milk chocolate, mocha, caramel and vanilla. Fairly complex without being muddled. A faint hop aroma arises later.

Dark chocolate overtakes milk chocolate on the palatte. Caramel, oak and hops find their way into the mix as well.

Smooth as it hits the tongue and roughens up a bit as it goes on down. Can be slightly oily at times. The alcohol bites down but let's go quickly.

Could use some refinement, but this is an Imperial beer, so who am I to argue the finer, more delicate points of taste?

03-03-2014 22:13:27 | More by stephens101
twiggamortis420

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500 mL bottle of the 2012 vintage pours an oily black with a fine-bubbled cap of mocha head. Not much for retention or lacing.

Nose is cocoa powder, dark chocolate, leafy hops and raspberry jam.

Taste has a nice chocolate presence, like the sludge at the bottom of a cup of chocolate milk. Fair amount of blackberry fruitiness and still a formidable finish of old world hops. Mouthfeel is nice and viscous...smooth and low carbonation...silky even. Very nice brew here...always happy to get this one in a box!

02-24-2014 01:35:20 | More by twiggamortis420
Billolick

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12/2013 bottle.

Allowed to warm and served in a goblet.

Near black, very dark mocha head, stays nicely and leaves decent fine bits, low sheeting and sticky strands of lacing.

I pick up a rich chocolate note on the nose along with some charred dark grains.

Viscous and thick in the glass. More chocolate and dark malt goodness. What can be said? World class Imperial stout.

02-21-2014 16:41:26 | More by Billolick
Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.