Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2010 - 750ml bottle and Groucho glasses label change
2011 - bottle date added to label
2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006)
Murchmac

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a thick black 1 finger brown head, fairly carbonated, but looks creamy.

Smells of sweet chocolate, some hops, roasted/burnt malt.

Sweet coffee, chocolate, earthy hoppy taste as well.

Creamy thick aftertaste good mouthfeel.

Well balanced beer, worth seeking out.

08-03-2010 22:35:31 | More by Murchmac
mgbickel

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to Stigs for bringing this to the tasting.

Poured ~3oz. from a bomber into a Perfect Pint glass. The small pour yielded a single finger of dark khaki colored foam that receded rather quickly, leaving very little lace behind. The body is black, thick and evil looking.

The nose was not as impressive as other stouts tasted that night. Slight coffee and cocoa aromas sit on a heavily roasted malt backbone.

The taste is much more powerful and complex than the nose. Lots of roasted malts throughout the drink. Coffee, chocolate and molasses flavors can also be detected, but play background roles.

The mouth feel is medium-heavy, slick and creamy with moderate to light carbonation.

This is a great drinking stout. It has a reputation and lives up to it! Highly recommended if you can get it!

07-26-2010 00:28:00 | More by mgbickel
JMD

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Nearly pitch black with huge dark tan head that last all the way to the bottom of the glass. Heavy, thick lacing that almost completely coasts the inside of the glass. A beautiful beer.

S: Big toasted malt aroma. Bitter sweet chocolate and coffee. Light hints of tobacco. Nice hop presence as well.

T: As you would expect, big malty flavors. Roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and fresh brewed expresso. Hints of dark fruit and raisins. Subtle notes of vanilla and sweet cream. Followed by a nice hop bite that lingers for a while on the tongue. Delicious.

M: Definitely full bodied, but not as thick and creamy as some other RIS's that I've tried.

D: NEBC puts out alot of great beers, and this one is no different. Big malt character that you expect from an RIS, but the aroma was a little too light. Either way, an outstanding brew. It's too bad we won't be able to get the awesome Star Wars graphics anymore. It's easily the coolest looking beer bottle I've seen. Hats off to NEBC.

07-24-2010 00:43:25 | More by JMD
billshmeinke

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Many thanks to cmorton for sharing his bottle with me. Review from notes.

The beer pours so black I can see my reflection in the glass. One finger khaki head. Retention is excellent! Beautiful looking RIS.

Smells of black currants, cocoa powder, and dark cherries.

The taste is of dark fruit and chocolate. Cocoa powder milk chocolate, dark cherries. Taste leans more towards dark fruit than chocolaty type RISs.

The mouthfeel is thick, full bodied, and rich with low carbonation, and a nice lil bite on the end. Everything one would want in the mouthfeel of a RIS.

Yummy!

07-20-2010 22:06:40 | More by billshmeinke
axeman9182

4.25/5  rDev +1%

bomber from 2009, poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a shade below absolute black. The dark caramel head size and retention, as well as lacing are impressive for the style.The nose is largely of coffee, I was hoping for a little more chocolate, and it's a little bit dull. This is definitely a stout that leans more towards the coffee side than the bitter dark chocolate side when it comes to roasted malt flavor. THere's also some smokey/ashy notes that begin to fade into a taste of dark fruits as the beer warms. NEBC nailed the carbonation level, it does its job without being intrusive, and the beer is very smooth. If I had to make a critique, I'd say the beer could stand to be a little bigger/more rich. This beer just gets tastier as it warms up, and the fact that it's ridiculously smooth (and there's no hint of alcohol) makes it very easy to drink. It's not the best RIS I've had, but it's a very good one and I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

edit: came back and adjusted the taste score upwards, big rich chocolate flavors came out as this beer approached room temperature

07-06-2010 03:49:52 | More by axeman9182
womencantsail

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to both Jeff and Steve for hooking me up with bottles of this one. I've been waiting to try it for quite some time now.

A: The pour is a nice looking dark brown, nearly black color with a finger's worth of brown head.

S: A slight acidity to the nose, which is unfortunate. A very strong roasted character without too much in the way of sweetness. Perhaps a touch of coffee and bitter chocolate.

T: Very, very roasty. Lots of coffee, and some more roasted malts for good measure. A good bitterness and just a hint of chocolate and vanilla.

M: The body is medium with medium carbonation, but it's a little high for an RIS.

D: Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this one. I enjoyed the roastiness of it, but there wasn't really anything else going on.

06-17-2010 17:15:05 | More by womencantsail
joepais

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

A big shout out to Craig for bringing this one down to try.

The 22 oz bottle was split two ways into snifters, it produced a short lived tan head that settled down to a ring of bubbles around the glass. The body of the brew was a typical stout black with small highlights' of red around the edge of the glass.

The presence of bitter coffee of aromas were right up front with a slight bitter coco following it up. The next thing that really surprised me was the lack of any real sweetness we figured the brew was around six months old and the bitter hops was still very evident. The flavor came of more as a espresso than a coffee the roast character of the malts stepped in front of the sweetness. Don't get me wrong It had a balance of some sweetness but I did expect some more considering the age I think at least six more months on this brew would do it wonders. I will slightly ding this brew for a slight lack of carbonation but the body was solid medium feel

The brew drank real well and was a wonderful finish to a night of superb sampling Thanks again Craig and Sarah

06-11-2010 14:22:29 | More by joepais
mbudner

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Had an '08 an '09 side by side, but the '08 was starting to turn a little with a bit of a sour kick (noticed in multiple aged bottles), so this is a review of the '09. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours black with a 2-finger dark mocha head.

S- Bitter coffee, roasted malts, chocolate and a slight chemically smell.

T- A bit of booze, bitter chocolate, a bit roasty and a slightly astringent/drying/chemically flavor (not too noticeable though.)

MF- A bit over-carbonated for the style in my opinion and slightly thin.

D- Pretty drinkable for an RIS, but not one of the bigger ones at only 8.5%, but the booze isn't too bad in the finish.

05-22-2010 03:13:09 | More by mbudner
skullsplitter

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Justin my tattoo artist for this one!

The pour was an opaque deep dark brown and somewhat syrupy. It seems most people had better head retention than I did. There was some minimal lacing. It looks good.

The smell was pretty on par with what I was expecting. There were some chocolate and caramel notes. I even noticed a slight dark fruit smell.

The taste was pretty damn good. With all of the hype I was afraid the beer might have been a little bit of a letdown. The caramel and chocolate were what hit me the most. The hops were there but I found them slightly subdued. With the light carbonation this added to the high drinkability. I had to remind myself this would not be easy to get again (if at all!) so I slowed down my pace and tried to savor it as best I could. It was a little watery for an imperial stout. But it works.

I only caught a slight hint of alcohol in the aftetaste. This surprised me. Perhaps this was aged for a little bit.

In the end it lived up to the hype. I enjoyed it for what it was. Not to mention it might have one of the best labels I have ever seen on a beer.

05-17-2010 15:25:26 | More by skullsplitter
mullenite

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Pours a thick syrupy black with a short, but persistent, tan head. The retention was better than most of the other stouts we have.

Smell is very similar to Kate the Great with notes of caramel, molasses and port. The two beers have shockingly similar aromas.

Taste has a bit more roasted character than the smell but is by no means dry. Still has a noted caramel sweetness which is nicely balanced by that slight roasted malt.

Medium body with lower carbonation than some other RIS's. Absolutely perfect for me.

Overall this was my favorite of the tasting. I really like it more than Kate, Darkness or KBS.

05-16-2010 17:05:03 | More by mullenite
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Jet black in color with a minimal, cocoa tinged head. Quite hoppy aroma with a blend of chocolate and roasted grains. Very solid flavor-quite a lot of hops in there but not overly done like I find Storm King, among others. Nice cocoa notes. Somewhat of a mellow licorice taste. Good mouthfeel-hesitate to call it thin but it is "lighter" then most RIS. Dangerously drinkable-maybe the lower abv has something to do with it. A damn good RIS overall. Could almsot call it "sessionable" as far as RIS go.

05-09-2010 05:21:01 | More by lackenhauser
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A huge thanks to hobbie100 for scoring a couple bottles for me!

2009 vintage

Awesome artwork! However, storm trooper on the label = George Lucas is not happy.

A: Black with decent head and lacing - shocker.

S: Roasted malt, subtle chocolate.

T: Very tasty. Nice notes of rich chocolate. The beer is velvety and smooth, with alcohol content very mellow. I like this considerably more than the barrel-aged version. I'm glad I have some more in the cellar.

M: Smooth, good carbonation level. Very little alcohol noticeable in the taste or aftertaste. Not quite as thick as I would prefer in an imperial stout, but again, well done.

D: Very easy to drink. This is an enjoyable imperial stout that I would be happy to have again.

04-30-2010 02:28:30 | More by Huhzubendah
emmasdad

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Pours a deep, dark black color, capped off with a good-sized medium tan head. Aromas of roasted malt, coffee, milk chocolate and burnt brown sugar. Tastes rather thin, somewhat unimpressive, with flavors of coffee, molasses and dark fruit. Not a bad beer at all, but still somewhat of a letdown after all the hype.

04-27-2010 23:11:33 | More by emmasdad
PeprSprYoFace

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Reviewed from my noted from last night. Shared a bottle with my friends.

Pours a Dark black. A little thinner looking than expected. No real head. No lacing

Aroma of roasted malts primarily. Little bit of coffee. Mostly roasted malts.

Tastes pretty much the same. Slight malty sweetness. Little bit of coffee. Not really alot going on in this beer.

Mouthfeel is alot thinner than I like on an imperial stout. I think that's an important part of the balance.

Overall I really don't know why this is in the top 100. I've had other stouts that deserve the spot more. This was good but not worth the hype. Oh well, glad I finally tried it.

04-23-2010 21:10:28 | More by PeprSprYoFace
nrbw23

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A- Pours a black color with a brown head that recedes to thin layer. Head leaves a bit of lacing here and there.

S- Coffee, roasted malt, caramel, cherries and chocolate. A bit of vanilla, touch of a leafy hop and a nice whiff of alcohol.

T- Roasted malts, coffee, earthy hops, chocolate, and a vanilla of hint.

M- Low in carbonation but a bit watery in body. If this one was a bit thicker it would be damn near perfect.

D- Very easy to drink and enjoyable. Great taste and balance. I would drink this one any time.

04-13-2010 08:17:41 | More by nrbw23
kmo1030

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

pours dirty motor oil black, with a half a finger of khaki colored head. also laces well.
the aroma is big and malty. lots of roasted coffee and chocolate. touches of vanilla and caramel. chocolate covered coffee flavored malt ball. there is also a substantial hoppy component that falls on the piney end of things.
the taste covers the full spectrum of malt flavors, coffee, molasses, chocolate, caramel, licorice, rootbeer, heath bar. the hops pack a little less punch than the aroma suggests. the flavors are somewhat lost in the maltiness. the pine comes through just a bit in towards the middle, and with a good bitter kick at the end, which helps clean things up some. some of the bitterness is derrived from the toasted aspects of the malt.
the mouthfeel is like finely carbonated whole milk. perfection here.
the drinkability is great, it's got a finely balanced bigness, that many beers go for, but few attain. this beer doesn't break any new ground, but it's an expertly crafted example of it's style.

04-11-2010 02:24:47 | More by kmo1030
Mora2000

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer. Sampled Feb, 16, 2010.

The beer pours dark brown to black with a decent-sized brown head. The aroma is roasted malt along with coffee and chocolate. The flavor is more of the same with chocolate standing out more than the coffee or malts. Creamy mouthfeel, which is the best part of the beer. Low carbonation. Not sure what I was expecting, but I was a little disappointed. A very good beer, but I expected a little more.

04-10-2010 15:57:49 | More by Mora2000
vacax

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle vintage 2008. Pours black with brown edges, moderate dark brown head with good retention. Coats the sides of the glass when agitated. Aroma of red licorice, anise, chocolate, grapes, and oatmeal. Tastes of grape drank, cocoa, chocolate malts, finish has cookie and more cocoa. Feels silky but not chrewy with a creamy lower carbonation that is nice. Overall this is real good, though a lot more vinous than expected.

04-10-2010 00:22:05 | More by vacax
Shumista

Received in a recent trade, 2009 bomber split three ways and poured into a shaped pint glass.

Imperial stout trooper pours syrupy pitch black with a small thick dark brown. No light getting through this one at all...I think the reviews of this one have seen enough corny star wars jokes so I will refrain. Moving on. Not quite as big of an aroma as I would have expected. Bitter chocolate, assorted starbucks coffee flavored beverages, roasted malt, and an earthy/woodiness. Unlike the less than powerful aroma the taste is the opposite. Tons of flavor, this one isn't messing around. Lots of chocolate and coffee, some smoke, and more of those assorted Starbucks beverages (frappucinos and the like). Its full bodied...Drinkability suffered a bit for me. I don't know why but it took me a long time to put down my helping. I was ready to be done with out after my 7-9 oz pour. Overall a great stout, but unfortunately not a real standout for me. I'm not left thinking how badly I wish we could get this in Michigan. Certainly won't trade for this again and if I came across some I might pass it over in order to try something new.

04-07-2010 20:30:38 | More by Shumista
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Another beer split with BeerFMAndy during our night of epic beers. Fittingly this top 100 beer will add more to my BA mug.

Pourd into my pint glass the beer is pitch black. Dare I say this beer is definitely on the "darkside". Maybe one finger of mocha hued head. Tiny bit of soapy lace left behind.

The aroma is sweet molasses with chocolate and black coffee. The roasted malts really come through as it warms. Traces of of smokie wood are present as well.

The flavor is much sweeter than I had expected. Brown sugar and milk chocolate are the main components I pick up. Some coffee notes along with a touch of roastiness and just a hint of hop bitterness in the finish.

Full thick chewy body. No carbonation to be found.

Overall a very nice RIS. Not exactly a world beater like I had hoped with a top 100 beer but a very drinkable stout nonetheless.

03-30-2010 00:11:04 | More by beerwolf77
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. 2008 bottle, no info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing this awesomely designed bottle!

Before starting I made Todd put the Star Wars Imperial March theme on repeat for reviewing. So sweet!

A - The pour is darker than the darkside and richer than Princess Leia. Thick like syrup, it's got a small tan head with low stature and retention. No real lace was left over on the pint.

S - Cold refrigerator aroma with bold molasses and massively roasted malts. Brooding, rich aroma that's powerful. While the nose is good, it's a bit one-dimensional.

T - Dark bittersweet chocolate is almost chunk-like in flavor and molasses is really powerful here. The roasted malt flavor almost takes a back seat to the other stuff going on. Not as roasted bitter as I was expecting.

M - Completely full-bodied (Slave clothes Leia full-bodied perhaps), Imperial Stout Trooper is rich and thick like the molasses it tastes like. The finish isn't very bitter at all for how ridiculously roasted it is.

D - Pretty solid imperial stout with low alcohol involvement but an overall feeling of booze. So roasted it's ridiculous but awesome that we drank this beer while listening to the theme.

03-28-2010 17:55:48 | More by BeerFMAndy
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

This was a good beer and I am glad to finally get to try it. It is the most recent release, and is said to be the last time they will use the Imperial Stout Trooper name. It is not barrel aged or special in any way. It is not doubtingly a good beer, and probably somewhat rare, but hype and Star Wars are major ingredients in this one.

The appearance is thick and black, pour produces a thick tan head. The head does leave and a thick film remains. No lacing, but thick legs. This is a good looking black imperial stout.

The smell is very weak, and is entirely dominated by roasted malts.

The taste is good, coffee with burnt roasted grains. Some chocolate and coffee bean bitterness. It is somewhat complex in its ashy, burnt, earthy flavors. It tastes good, but so does Old Rasputin.

The mouthfeel is thick with a nice clean finish. Sits heavy on the palate, and brings up good bitterness with roasted grains and coffee. Interesting brew, but not worth the hype.
J

03-28-2010 00:50:01 | More by Jmoore50
tr4nc3d

Kansas

(Taken from notes)

12fl oz bottle poured into my snifter

Pours a dark black color with a tan one and a half inch head. Head retention is that of average with no lacing being noticeable at all.

Smell is that of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, some barley, and a slight alcohol heat to it.

Taste was slightly sweet with chocolate, this leads to a deep roasted malt taste with some coffee and a hint of vanilla. Slightly dry bitter finish in the end.

Mouthfeel is bordering full bodied with decent amount of carbonation.

Pretty good stout that I have been wanting to try for a long time, a little disappointed though and thought it would be better. I recommend to try this once, but its nothing spectacular that stands out.

03-23-2010 22:16:33 | More by tr4nc3d
drabmuh

Maryland

Big thanks to Huhzubendah for knocking this one off my wants, seriously.

Poured from a bottle into a becher glass. Beer is black and forms a thin brown head of small bubbles.

Aroma is really weak. No roast really, slight lactic, slight sweetness. There is a hint of alcohol.

There is a lot of coffee / roast in the back of the mouth. Makes the beer pretty bitter. There is no carbonation in the mouth but the beer is medium bodied. Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is good.

03-21-2010 23:50:44 | More by drabmuh
DmanGTR

4.63/5  rDev +10%

2008 Vintage reviewed on 12/31/09. A HUGE thanks to Eric (erosier) for my very first trade.

A - Poured pitch black, no light comes through at all. Dark tan creamy rich head that retained as a rich cap. No lace, but still this is a black damnation of a beer. 5.0

S - Rich and robust, malty, coffee, and dark Belgian chocolate aromas. Hint of bitterness. Very well balanced. Coffee smells fresh too. 4.5

T - Intense roasty malts, lots of roasted barley, creaminess, and a hint of cocoa. Incredibly malty, touch of dark fruit. No alcohol detected. Very good. 4.5

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated. Very creamy and velvety smooth. 4.5

D - Wow. This is fantastic. Give me another or two please. 5.0

03-20-2010 04:35:04 | More by DmanGTR
Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.