Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2010 - 750ml bottle and Groucho glasses label change
2011 - bottle date added to label
2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006)
Busker

New Hampshire

12-01-2011 00:06:40 | More by Rochefort10nh
bmwfan1987

Connecticut

A- pitch black, with a dark tan head that quickly dies down and leaves a ring.

Smell- bittersweet chocolate, coffee beans and espresso roast.

Taste- much of the same from the aroma. Very complex coffee and chocolate going on.

M- very creamy, and full bodied.

O- a must have in your life time. Just a brilliant stout.

01-23-2012 15:23:52 | More by bmwfan1987

12-13-2011 22:37:19 | More by matthewpaul
brdc

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Thanks n0rman for this one.

Small (unfortunately) capped bottle, poured into a snifter.
Pitch black, with a good sized tan head, lighter in the center but a burnt yellow on the edges, it shows average retention but nice lacing.
Aroma is impressive, roasted, smoked, with notes of vanilla, coffee, chocolate and even some bourbon (as far as I know this is not barrel aged, but it smells like it).
Full bodied, quite creamy on the palate, the taste is as suggested by aroma, but quite smoked, along with the same vanilla, roasted coffee and chocolate notes.
Impressive, and despite strength and probably high ABV, it is very easy to drink.
Extremely impressive.

02-22-2008 02:15:52 | More by brdc
dickieb

Rhode Island

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours black, probably the darkest beer I have ever drank. The head is a nice darker shade of brown, with average retention, the lacing being pretty weak was the only thing holding it back. The smell is rich with dark roasted malts with fresh coffee bitter chocolate, and some hints of oak. The flavor is so smooth, with lots of the dark malts hints of vanilla and coffee, with a bit of a hop bite that gives way to a lingering burnt malt flavor, the alcohol is almost completely hidden. The mouthfeel is creamy but light, especially considering the probable alcohol content, and this one is so drinkable. Its a complete and utter shame this is probably the only one I will ever have.

03-07-2008 00:58:06 | More by dickieb
cope0021

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

2008 Vintage
Pours a dark, viscous black that resembles motor oil. Thin, but persistant head with nice legs

Smells wonderful. Pick up a slight hint of alcohol, but not too much. Chocolate and slight fruit notes are also present.

Taste is exceptional. A lot of flavor, but not too much to be overpowering. A touch of bitterness, but it is well ballanced. Though the alcohol is not overpoweing, there is some deffinite heat on the way down.

11-16-2010 03:16:07 | More by cope0021
lnashsig

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Many thanks to Beenitty (Brandon) and JMFoster (James) for the chance to taste this one! Both stand up BA's and friends that hooked me up with a couple bottles of this. I shall drink now, and then age for some time and see what comes of it.

This is #BOTG 39! The challenge continues!

Poured from bottle into CBS Snifter. Pours a vicious pitch black color. Comes out of the bottle with the thickness of motor oil. As it falls into the glass, a dark tan head bubbles up like bubbles from a tar pit. Just thick looking. Some head retains, not much though. Absolutely no light gets through the glass. One of the thicker Imp stouts I've ever seen, kind of reminds me of the pour I got out of CCB Zhukov. Smell- Dark chocolate, some graininess, ovaltine, mocha coffee. Smells great. Taste- WHOA. Dark fruits, Aggressive bitterness, the thickness of this coats my mouth with a super rich thick bitter dark chocolate. This is delicious, super complex, well made RIS. So flavorful, so thick, just perfect. This beer is a home run. I'm just hoping my Astros give those pansies from Dallas a tough game tonight (not looking good at the moment) to match the greatness of this beer.

05-19-2012 01:04:31 | More by lnashsig
Patrickbrusil

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

This was on tap at Redbones BBQ in Somerville's Davis Square.

Ok - thick black appearance with a mocha colored head that won't give up. Dark and beautiful.

Smell - fought to make it out as I am in a BBQ joint with the aroma of ribs and pulled pork throughout. But strong chocolate, coffee, malty, and roasted overtones make my way into the nostrils after a few good sniffs.

Taste: shear joy. It has the mouthfeel and creaminess of a chocolate shake. I kid you not. Many RIS tend to be oily. This is thick and rich and milkshake like with a wonderful chocolate and mocha flavor. Creamy and wonderful.

Everything I was hoping for.

04-17-2011 03:38:34 | More by Patrickbrusil
kbanks13

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured at cellar temp into a snifter with a mocha colored head that was fairly typical of a RIS. Body was as pitch black as Vader's mask, no hints of light made it through even the edges of this beer. The smell was chocolatey and sweet with a bit of rich and roasted coffee. A fair amount of floral hops in the nose accompanied by faint spicy molasses notes. The taste is just incredible as I was led to believe. Begins with semi-sweet chocolate and molasses flavors, hints of vanilla come through in the flavor profile. Fades to a roasted french vanilla coffee flavor with a nutty (hazelnut?) flavor lingering on my taste buds. Heavy is the word I would choose to describe the feel of this beer. Coating and viscous with a rich and silky feel to it and little carbonation. Drinks incredibly easy and I wish this were around more often, as I would by this by the case every chance I got.

02-28-2011 00:40:18 | More by kbanks13
erosier

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Not only a catchy name and funny bottle but it delivers on so many levels. On tap at Delaney's Tap Room in New Haven, CT for a while which is where I got it.

L: Pours a deep black color with a tall and thick brown colored head that laces the glass a lot as it fades slowly down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet and bitter roasted malts, some coffee, chocolate, caramel flavors, and a hint of vinous fruit. A slight hop aroma at the end finishes the smell.
T: Tastes even better than it smells! Big roasted barley malt that is both sweet and bitter. There are then bold flavors of chocolate, caramel, and coffee all intertwined. There is a slight hop characteristic but then finishes with a nice sweet and bold and slightly bitter taste.
M: Very smooth, thick, warming, and the right amount of carbonation.
D: Extremely drinkable and well worth every penny. This beer is all around smooth and it finishes really well. From start to finish this is one very drinkable and excellent beer.

The Force is Strong with This One.

10-04-2007 17:23:24 | More by erosier
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

I got this bottle in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

2006.

It pours a pitch black with a 1 finger head of tan foam with oodles of lacing.

The smell is very malty with big roasted malt, chocolate, licorice, and a very sweet smelling fruitines. Man, this is one fine smelling brew!

The taste has a big bold chocolate goodnesss gretting my tastebuds followed by some roasted malt, light amount of licorice, some coffee notes, and the fruity sweetness I mentioned in the smell. This is one kick ass RIS. A bit of warming after the swallow but it's very welcome as it snowed last night and the current temp is a balmy 33F.

The mouthfull is thick and chewy and the carbonation is light and perfect....every sip is a winner.

Drinkability? I think, as good as it gets. Unbelievable, in fact. An online store back east was selling this for a very short time and I could kick myself for not taking advantage of the situation.

Bottom line: Stout Trooper ranks amongst the best of the style that I've tried and it comes from my wonder years state of Connecticut. Another big thanks goes out to Wasatch!

04-26-2009 15:46:14 | More by Bitterbill
Cabadrin

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Truly a great beer, this one was difficult to find. I ordered a bottle from Publick House Provisions in Brookline, and while it's not the easiest or most common beer, it certainly was worth it.

A: Deep, fully opaque black and brown color. The bottle poured a dark, flowing stream that produced minimal head. There was a little lacing down the glass. A classic stout look.

S: Molasses, roast, some vanilla, and an aroma of alcohol reaches after a few seconds. Overall, the smell is more of roast and molasses.

T: Excellent, excellent taste. First taste is a bit alcoholly, the second, deeper one is more molasses, with an aftertaste that stays with you for some time. After a minute, I taste citrus and bitter flavors. This is a sipping beer.

M: It's good in the mouth, settles around the sides and back of the throat, you can pour it over your tongue and still taste it afterwards.

D: For having a higher alcohol content, this is quite drinkable. It's a one-beer-a-night kind of beer, so don't expect to polish off a couple in a night. Still, very smooth and easy to drink, especially considering the alcohol content.

Overall, this is an excellent beer and worth it even without the name. Since I work in a pretty nerdy environment, I expect to get a lot of complements on the beer bottle while it sits on my wall. Pair the bottle art with the name and the excellent taste, this is a beer I will be trying to get a case of next year.

12-31-2009 19:13:32 | More by Cabadrin
prsguitarsr4me

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

"TK-421 why aren't you at your post? TK-421 do you copy!"

Finally got my hands on a couple of these bad boys at Firehouse 12 in New Haven last night (very cool place, by the way). This is one of the best imperial stouts I've had - very original character. Lots of dark chocolate and bourbon, a little licorice. It was served a little cold for my tastes, so I didn't get a real idea of what the feel would be like at ideal temperature. Once I finished the first one, I immediately ordered another. I'll be picking up a bunch of these for sure.

03-21-2009 16:36:20 | More by prsguitarsr4me
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a short brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of chocolate, dark roasted malts, coffee and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is exactly what you want in an RIS, rich chocolate, hearty roasted dark malts, well-masked alcohol and not overly sweet. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a good balance. There is a slightly bitter-sweet dark chocolate after-taste.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is quite clean for the style.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a well-made, flavorful and highly drinkable RIS and is one of the best that I've had in its style.

10-22-2008 02:41:15 | More by TheManiacalOne
SneezyAchew

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I have had this beer a number of times on draft and from the bottle. This review is from a tasting where a couple of friends and I drank 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008. Mostly I took notes during the 2010, but each year was better than the last.

a: Looks like black coffee just poured from a keurig, you know, considering the foam that sticks around for a bit and all.

s: Really sweet and chocolatey with a smidge of bitter coffee. Personally, I'm also getting a lot of meat here, too. Kielbasa?

t: Caramel, coffee, and more chocolate. Huge taste here. After having a number of Stone IRS' the night before, I greatly prefer the huge, bold flavors you get here. The 2010 was much more balanced than the '11, but the flavors haven't completely melded yet. However, it's undeniably delicious.

m: Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Not too viscus.

o: One of my favorite imperial stouts. Enjoyed these during Episode 3, and the beers continued to get more epic as the story did the same.

07-31-2012 23:11:33 | More by SneezyAchew
capra12

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Reviewed on the first day of GCF at RNH with speedwayjim and special thanks to Patrick for aging this bad boy for a year and resisting the temptation to open it.

Appearance: Jet black and brown with little head.

Smell: Dark fruits and malts with a subtle alcohol nose.

Taste: Opens with dark fruits, malts and dark chocolate which carry over into the finish. From the middle there are dark grains and an earthiness which completes the sip and a slightly alcohol finish which leaves my palate with a mildly malty, dark grain and dark chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with minimal carbonation and medium to full bodied.

Drinkability: So good I had to go back the next day to have another, definitely worth a try and I can't wait till my next chance to have this.

09-16-2009 05:44:31 | More by capra12
alcstradamus

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +14%

A--Pours a jet black, thick as motor oil. It didn't appear like much head was going to form so I gave it a bit of a harder pour and damn near ended up overflowing the glass. Two full fingers of dark brown head, as dark as any head you will see. It sticks around for a while and leaves good lacing.

S--Smell is sweet dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, fudge

T--Oh hell yes, this is what a stout should taste like. The dark fruits take a backseat and make way for a great roasted malt profile and a bit of coffee bitterness. The flavor profile is so complex beneath the roastiness...dark fruits, vanilla, fudge, nuts, coffee, marshmallows. Similar to Speedway Stout if my memory serves me correctly, although I don't even think that the Speedway Stout was this good

M--Full bodied....thick, creamy, and chewy. This is one bad beer. Not BAD meaning BAD, but BAD meaning GOOD

D--This one has my stomach rumbling less than halfway though, but I can't stop drinking it is so tasty!

Truly a fantastic beer and I look forward to more

05-07-2009 05:46:56 | More by alcstradamus
modernartblues

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a fresh growler into my newly purchased Duvel Tulip. 2010 Batch.

A- Darker than the deepest black. Decent size brown head. Sheets of lacing hold up on the glass throughout.

S- I mainly get chocolate, but also roastiness and just a touch of floral notes from the hops. The nose (like the rest of the beer) changes drastically as it warms. This is a beer to be savored with all the senses.

T- Like I noted previously, chocolate is the biggest flavor for me, but as the beer warms I get a kaleidoscope of flavors including coffee, chocolate, black licorice, dark fruits, and more. Each sip seems to reveal something different.

M- Full bodied without being ridiculously overbearing, creamy and delicious, Perhaps perfect....

D- Stupidly drinkable. Make sure you have some friends to help drink the growler or 750ml or you are gonna get drunk quick. The only downside to this beer is the empty glass at the end of it.

Had several samples at the brewery and then the growler the same night. This beer is stupendous. I was only able to split a bottle last year (while I was sick) and had a hazy memory of the beer. This years batch blew me away. Right up there with the Abyss in my mind. One of my top favorite beers ever.

12-23-2010 19:43:38 | More by modernartblues
cooperrip

4.8/5  rDev +14%

2009 Batch #3 750ml. I love this fucking beer. It may never reach the tooldom of Dark Lord, Black Tuesday, etc. but that's only because this shit is actually drinkable not the diabetic coma inducing sludge that the tickerati soil there panties over.
Appearance is black, its a fuckin stout dummy. Thick three finger beige head that hangs out longer then Brewfan at a gay pride parade.Leaves enough lacing to make a west coast ipa jealous.
Smell is... I don't know a little coffee, a little cocoa, a little anise.The key is that it is not too much of anything.
Taste, roasted loveliness, like going down on a dark angel, little bit of dark fruit and vanilla in there too.Perfect balance.
Mouthfeel and drinkability is where this beer really shines, my mouth and throat feel like they've been ensconsed in velvet, perfect amount of body.I am halfway way through a 750 and thinking about cracking an 06 next.
Rob, feel free to use this review on the label of the next batch.Bring on the bourbon!

12-31-2009 00:52:48 | More by cooperrip
Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.