Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013
Reviews: 479 | Hads: 1,179
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

I was lucky enough to have this beer on tap at the Plan B in Simsbury,CT. Served in a Pint Glass. (I don't believe the bartender at the time knew how strong it was)

I've been drinking craft beers for about a year and this beer has inspired me to write my first review.

First noticed a thick dark brown head staying with me until about half the pint was gone. (I drank this very slowly because of how strong it was and because I didn't want it to end) The color bared a close resemblance to motor oil. In the aroma I sensed many notes of chocolate as well as a bitterness. I could detect the alcohol but it was a positive, adding to the warmness of the beer. Then comes the flavour exploding in my mouth with all the malt, caramel, and hop undertone goodness coming through. Mouthfeel is rich creamy goodness, really fills your palate. Drinkability is amazing for the style. Favorite beer from my favorite style. (914 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Cracked this treat open on Thanksgiving thanks to DeaconBluez. Thanks Chip for hooking me up with this! 2008 vintage.

Pours black with a brown sugar colored head, very dark. Excellent retention and leaves a bunch of lacing.

The nose is very appealing. Sweet and toasty malts, with a nice earthy woody character, chocolate and light coffee and licorice.

The taste is excellent, and spot on. Chocolate and dark roasted malts. Woodyness and dark dried fruits. Sweet, yet earthy, and no alcohol. This stuff is awesome.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Rich and sticky, with a light lingering bitter aftertaste. Drinkability is awesome. I can't imagine an Imperial Stout going down much easier than this.

Overall, an excellent brew and so glad I got a chance to try it. I'm sort of torn between wishing I had regular access to this and content with my situation now. On one hand, I would love to try this again and again, but on the other, I enjoy having a positive balance in my bank account. (991 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

2008 Vintage reviewed on 12/31/09. A HUGE thanks to Eric (erosier) for my very first trade.

A - Poured pitch black, no light comes through at all. Dark tan creamy rich head that retained as a rich cap. No lace, but still this is a black damnation of a beer. 5.0

S - Rich and robust, malty, coffee, and dark Belgian chocolate aromas. Hint of bitterness. Very well balanced. Coffee smells fresh too. 4.5

T - Intense roasty malts, lots of roasted barley, creaminess, and a hint of cocoa. Incredibly malty, touch of dark fruit. No alcohol detected. Very good. 4.5

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated. Very creamy and velvety smooth. 4.5

D - Wow. This is fantastic. Give me another or two please. 5.0 (699 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was presented with a bottle this weekend, apparently this is no longer brewed and finding any stragglers is a task. Anywho, I was impressed right off the bat with the extreme blackness of this beer, even the milky head was the darkest brown ive seen. Absolutely delicious and dark, I almost felt like I was chewing at some points but I like that in an Imperial Stout. +10 points for the label. (395 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing from last week notes. 750ml bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter. 2009 vintage

A: Sits in the glass dark as night. Leaves a 2 finger burnt wood head. Sticky lacing throughout the glass

S: Lots of roasted malt at first. Followed by a bittersweet chocolate and vanilla mix and even a subtle amount of coffee. Might even have a little oakiness to it

T: Follows the smell perfectly in all aspect. There is the smallest amount of alcohol present, which I can only assume will disappear completely with some age

M: Super smooth and creamy. A full bodied stout for sure

D: What a wonderful brew that lives up to the hype in my opinion. A very easy to drink RIS. Not over the top complex, just very well put together. I have another bottle to age - can't wait to see how this tastes in a couple of years (813 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a foil-capped 12-ounce bottle dated 2008 into an imperial pint glass. Many thanks to Don for this one.

A: Poured a very dark brown, nearly opaque black, color with a very thin veil of coffee colored carbonation which left slight residual lacing and a thin, syrupy coating on the glass.

S: Smells of deep roasted malts, coffee, caramel, cocoa powder, charcoal, molasses and earthy, herbal aromas.

T: Taste is a big bouquet of roasted malt flavors ranging from semisweet chocolate, bitter, weakly brewed coffee with a bit of milk, earthy soil and coal flavors, with a resinous herbal oil hop undertone. Finish is deep roasted and deliciously bitter.

M: Mouthfeel is full bodied and fairly syrupy. Not tough to drink, but one you'll want to take your time with.

D: Fantastic, full bodied malt flavors make this a really enjoyable Russian Imperial Stout. The mystery ABV is felt, but is well masked among the eight different malts used, and therefore it makes for a great winter sipping stout.

At nearly $9 per bottle, Imperial Stout Trooper is well worth the investment, given its relative rareness and masterful local brewing. Gives Old Rasputin a good run for its money, though it's not as good a value. Still, I keep loving what these local homebrew heroes keep coming out with. (1,296 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10%

A: Nearly pitch black with huge dark tan head that last all the way to the bottom of the glass. Heavy, thick lacing that almost completely coasts the inside of the glass. A beautiful beer.

S: Big toasted malt aroma. Bitter sweet chocolate and coffee. Light hints of tobacco. Nice hop presence as well.

T: As you would expect, big malty flavors. Roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and fresh brewed expresso. Hints of dark fruit and raisins. Subtle notes of vanilla and sweet cream. Followed by a nice hop bite that lingers for a while on the tongue. Delicious.

M: Definitely full bodied, but not as thick and creamy as some other RIS's that I've tried.

D: NEBC puts out alot of great beers, and this one is no different. Big malt character that you expect from an RIS, but the aroma was a little too light. Either way, an outstanding brew. It's too bad we won't be able to get the awesome Star Wars graphics anymore. It's easily the coolest looking beer bottle I've seen. Hats off to NEBC. (996 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2010 batch

Poured from a bomber into a stemmed glass.

The aroma is sweet at first with some peanut brittle making its appearance with a slight black licorice aroma. There is a dough smell here that is a little bagel and brown bread mixed together. Chocolate is back there in the back to just tease and then lets the bready malts take back the aroma till it trails off.

The taste is sweetness first with a creamy rum flavor and hints of grape and other dark fruits. There are figs here to mix in with a dominant peanut brittle flavor. Shaking the tree loose of weak flavors, as this warms up there are roots in coffee and dark chocolate. A big mallet of currants, black cherry, and slight raspberry flavor makes the dark fruits spectrum complete.

The feel of this beer is big on flavor big on flavor with a big ABV that challenges the standards and blazes a new trail of hardcore flavor characters. (901 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I enjoyed this on tap courtesy of Stakem, thanks again man!

Enjoyed chilled slightly from a snifter a perfect choice for a 90 degree day.

A solid dark brown body with creamy beige cap similar to the colors of milky way when you look at the cross section after biting a hunk off. The smell is very malted milk ball-esque very creamy and has light caramel with a goodly amount of sweetness. The feel is full bodied with a mild roasted element, more caramel and toasted yet still pretty smooth and has light bitterness throughout. The quality of the feel is interesting is I perceive a smaller stout as I drink it which is unusual.

The flavor is so malty yet layered with lots of different elements, sure there is the malt flavor which is pretty nice and caramel saturated, but the yeast gives a nice gentle fruitiness underneath the sweet elements and mild roasted tinges. The flavor has a good toasted grain tinge and accents of hops and alcohol buoy the overall Imperial quality of the stout, I will say again this is so well crafted it gives the impression of a mid strength not a high gravity stout. The smooth cocoa element is what stands out to me with some woody elements and gentle alcohol in the finish w/ some pine notes from the hops. The beer finishes semi-dry. I think Imperial Stout Trooper deserves all the praise it gets it is such a splendid Imperial Stout it is a great example of the style. New England Crafted a great brew, thanks Stakem for sharing this delicious beer! (1,495 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Big thanks goes out to Tim of TheKingsOfHop from BeerAdvocate for cracking this open and letting me sample it. Out of a bottle this famous beer was a nearly black hue with one finger of dark tan head. The retention was decent, though not impressive, and it left good lacing in streaks. The aroma was full of rich, roasted malt notes, some dark fruits, some boozy alcohol, hints of nuts and mild chocolate. The flavors were excellent, I was all about this one! I tasted lots of dark malt and roasted coffee up front, the bitterness of which was balanced by semi-sweet chocolate like Nestle morsels. As it warmed I tasted hints of vanilla and licorice as well as some well-hidden booze. The mouthfeel was very smooth and rich, the body full and the carbonation perfect. Very fulfilling and highly enjoyable. (805 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Very happy to have this available as a local brew. This beer is an incredibly opaque black with a slowly developing brown head. Smell is actually a little sweet along with the burnt aspect. Taste is incredible. Sweeter than you might expect (almost milk stout-ish), with elements of coffee, chocolate, and just the right amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick and clingy in a totally great way. Very drinkable for such a big beer; a pleasure to enjoy this one tonight! (470 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Can't tell you how stoked I was to find this on tap last night at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA. Had 2 of these poured into snifters. Pitch black like the dark side with an excellent brown head, absolutely thick and creamy looking. Smells great of chocolate, roasted malts. Taste is unbelievable - the head is probably the creamiest I have ever tasted, literally tastes and feels of ice cream. Loads of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, a bit of vanilla. Mouthfeel is perfect, extremely smooth and creamy. I could swear they forgot to put alcohol in this because I didn't taste any. Drinkability is about as good as an RIS can get, I had 2 of these along with a Sculpin on-tap (!) without much of a problem. Exceptional to say the least, lives up to the hype.

**1/6/11**
Enjoying a 2010 750ml right now, excellent. Everything listed above with some hints of smoke, molasses and licorice. Not much of a hop presence, this is all about those beautiful stouty malts. Not a hint of the ABV which seems to have been changed from 8.5% to 9.2%. Extremely drinkable. Pricey but worth it as a special occasion beer. (1,107 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured this from a 22 oz bottle into bruery tulip. This beer looks as dark and thick as I was hoping but has a tremendous amount of carbonation and a finger or two of lacing.

Taking a whiff of this beer I am immersed in a world of pure chocolatiness - this would drive the cocoa bird or count chocula nuts. I didn't even realize this was a chocolate stout, but after trying a few poorly blended fruity imperial stouts lately, this is a relief.

The first sift is, after smelling it, as expected - a beer tsunami of chocolate goodness. The chocolate and malt are balanced absolutely perfectly and there is a bitterness to the chocolate that compliments the beer quite well. Upon further sipping, I can't help but to compare this to a delectable glass of chocolate milk. It is thick without being sludgy and even has a thirst-quenching appeal to it.

I could get very used to this beer and will definitely be seeking out more. This is probably the best chocolate beer I've ever had - even though I don't believe it is billed as such. (1,034 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow this is a good Stout. Bottle makes it seems somewhat cheesy but wow does this deliver.

2012 vintage. 500 mL bottle LIF'd by ILOVESTOUTS.

A - Deep brown color with a nice mocha colored 1/2 inch head. Minimal lacing but solid retention.

S - Has a very strong roasty smell and not much else. I thought I got some chocolate in there but after trying again, didn't get it.

T - Cocoa, cocoa, and some more cocoa. Some roasty malts in there and subtle coffee bitterness. Really fantastic.

M - Creamy and smooth body. Super drinkable!

O - Wow I want some more right now. Really I do. (585 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a deep black with a small tan head with a slight touch of lacing.

S: Roasty chocolate and coffee tie together to make this a very pleasant nose.

T: More of the roastiness with chocolate and some coffee. Slight hoppiness left.

M: Nice full body and lightly fluffy. Just a bit of hoppiness and carbonation.

D: Given the ABV this might be one of the most drinkable stouts my palate has had the pleasure of tasting! (428 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%

My first officially retired brew courtesy of naproxen... Thanks, Aliza!

This is a Dark Side black to say the least.... Blacker than you can imagine black... On top sits a thick creamy tan head that makes this a stunning brew...

Aroma of dark roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, and surprisingly citrus hops.... Huh??

What a delicious brew this is.... Loads of chocolate, fruit, malt, hops, a little coffee, some vanilla... Wasn't expecting all of that...wonderfully complex and delicious...

Scary drinkability on this one... Its dark and rich but I could drink this til I passed out... Its freaking delicious!!

Amazing brew... This one needs to be revived... (661 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to crack into this one from one of my earliest trades. I really wish I would have created a spreadsheet so I would be able to look up who has sent me what over the last couple of years, but alas... Review is from notes taken on 1/15/2012 and poured from the bottle (2009 vintage) to a snifter.

Appearance: Glug, glug, glug comes the beer out of the bottle and it looks pretty thick and a little syrupy as it its the glass; body is pitch black as it should be and it starts with a short 1/4 dark brown head that fades pretty much immediately to nothing other than a couple of faint strands and wisps of the same color; entirely opaque; 2 or 3 lone spots of dark brown lacing hang around briefly.

Smell: Ahhh yeahhh! Smell is excellent -- tons and tons of roast and burnt coffee/espresso beans; syrupy sweet chocolate malts about, and there is also a hint of some bittersweet baker's chocolate as well; maybe just a touch of booziness hides out in there, but really, smells exactly what I hope for every time I crack open a bottle labeled as an RIS...

Taste: Ahhh yeahhh (again)! Great flavors abound, led by a strong and rather bitter and earthy roasty/burnt coffee and espresso flavor; the bittersweet chocolate seems to come from the same bitterness, and the sweeter, syrupy chocolate is more of a lingering flavor; perhaps a bit of a sweet vanilla and cherry as well, that I'm surprised didn't show up in the nose. Really quite an excellent and well balanced big beer.

Mouthfeel: Mouth is big, smooth, creamy and chewy -- bit like a milkshake -- something I don't think I've experienced in this capacity since seeing an '08 Dark Lord cracked and poured a couple of years ago (not that is "quite" that thick, but in terms of getting what I hope to, this one delivers almost like no other); carbonation is kind of a moot point, but there's a faint tickle of it, but life remains in the body from the warming alcohol that leaves some vapors on the back of the tongue and roof of the mouth; belly is left a little warm as well.

Overall: I wish this was a year-round kind of beer that was available to me all the time. Really, great from cracking the cap to finish, the only thing that would slow me down on this one is the weight and higher ABV, but I'm not going to have a problem finishing the 750 all by my lonesome. Cheers to an amazing beer! (2,365 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

From the tap at Delaney's, down the street from the brewery:

A- Completely opaque black, doesn't let any light through. Espresso-colored foam persists and stick cloyingly to the glass.

S- Smells fresh, the way beer usually smells at the brewery or brew-pub. Sweet and fresh that blends with more complex chocolate and malt aroma.

T- Bitter and sweet at once, segwaying into sweet then bitter, bitter espresso/coffee with a background malt sugar caramel then tingling ethanol finish one expects from an imperial stout. overall: bitter to sweet to coffee to coffee-caramel to ethanol.

M- Thick mouthfeel upfront with a smooth backslide and ends in a dryness that complements the ethanol finish.

D- Personally i think this is pretty drinkable, but for the average palate it may be something to have once in a while. Very intense and strong. Probably not most people's idea of a session beer, but what imperial stouts are?

And by the way, the bottle is awesome, and the guys down at the brewery are pretty cool too, if you get a chance to meet them. Personally, i think it's the best beer they've put out. Nice job with this one. (1,148 characters)

Imperial Stout Trooper
12 oz brown bottle
2008 Bottle
Served in a Smuttynose tulip glass, a personal favorite

Thanks to Lar for picking this beer up for me -

Pours an opaque black. This is a 'no joke' looking brew. Jet black in appearance with these light brown trails. I started off pouring lightly, but became more aggressive.

Nice whiffs of chocolate, cocoa and perhaps coffee notes.

After a few sips its quite evident how complex this beer is. Roasted malts with a dark chocolate profile. So sugary sweet, almost reminding me of molasses with bitter blackberry presence. The hop profile is really nice too.

A great beer overall and definitely one of the best beers that I've had from a Connecticut brewery. (717 characters)

12oz bottle, obtained in a bif somewhere along the way. $7.99 pricetag included

appearance: just an awesome looking label - very flashy. great looking pour - served in a snifter - very dark body, creamy chocolate cap with good lacing

smell: big roasty nose, sweet chocolate, roasted malts and smoke

taste: exceptional tasting stout - sweet, smooth and creamy. there are some nice sweet dark fruits in this one. light smoke presence - huge dark chocolate and roasted espresso.

mouthfeel: velvety smooth - wow

drinkability: good (532 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

2009 bottling, poured from a 750 ml bottle.

Pours smooth and dark, nearly jet black, with a moderate amount of dense, coffee-colored head, which significant lacing.

The smell is quite inviting, a warm blend of toasted malts and coffee, though it was less assertive than some other RIS's I've had, and not all of the flavors came through at first whiff.

The taste is exceptionally rich, with coffee being the most prominent flavor. The coffee is backed up by a prominent toasted, dark malt flavor, along with a modest degree of chocolate and very subtle licorice notes. The flavors blend together quite well, supporting one another to create a rich, full-flavored stout. Coffee comes back again as the most prominent aftertaste, lingering long after each sip. It is also in the aftertaste that the otherwise well-hidden alcohol comes through. Though at 8.5%, this is practically "light" by RIS standards, it still left a pleasant warming sensation in my throat and chest as I drank it.

This is not a very sweet brew, which sets it apart from some others of this style. As much as I have a sweet tooth, I appreciated the more mild sweetness, which allowed me to focus on the flavors without becoming overwhelmed.

This is also thinner than some Russian Imperial Stouts. Though certainly rich, and by no means watery, it does not have the syrupy character common to some beers of the style, and does not excessively coat the tongue. It is also slightly more carbonated than some, lending an additional degree of lightness to the body.

Rather than detracting, the carbonation, coupled with the relatively low sweetness, inviting flavors, and pleasant aftertaste, make this a surprisingly drinkable brew. I could easily go through several of these, and in fact drank nearly the entire 750 in one sitting, without even realizing it. It's too bad that this great beer is so hard to find. (1,891 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey. Finally got around to posting the review. I was going to wait to crack a bottle and go over my review again, but since LucasArts asked for a cease and desist on the label, the bottle value skyrocketed and I don't think I'll be cracking one anytime soon.

A: Incredibly dark with a small but super rich, thick, and dark creamy head that slowly fades. I can almost feel the darkness of space sucking me into it. No light can escape from it, either from being a vaccuum of light or the dark side of the force is strong in it (OK, not more Star Wars jokes).

N: Roast up the wazzoo! I feel like my nose is roasting itself just from the aroma. Some black patent malt aromas also stick out, with hints of dark chocolate and some almost spicy hop character.

T: Again loaded with roast. It has some stouty earthy bitter dry char and scorched malt flavors. Some rich dark fruit flavors, but still thick and kinda velvety. Some bitterness that probably comes from the stout taste combined with a little hop character, that adds a little spiciness. Some sweetness with a little bakers chocolate and a little creamy milk chocolate. HInts of coffee come with the roast that is so strong is almost feels like my tongue is being roasted (same joke twice, lame but whatever). More sweet malt flavors, but no boozy taste at all.

M: very thick with some velvety feel, lower carbonation but good for the style.

F: Semi dry actually, mostly from the bitter earthy dry roasted char from the crazy roasted malt flavors and bitter black patent malt. The bitter earthy "stout" taste seems to linger with it, and a little more chocolate and dark fruit come out late on the finish. The taste also sticks with me for hours after I'm done drinking as it seems to have filled all the pours in my mouth and acted like concrete to just settle and never leave. It's a delicious beer that lives up to the hype. I can only imagine how smooth it'll be after a couple years of aging. (1,978 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Viscous motor-oil like pour. Thick black color. Aggressive pour leads to a big, building mochachino colored head that keeps building and then ever so slowly creeps back down the sides leaving thick sticky lacing throughout. Absolutely beautiful beer.

S: Big roasted chocolate malty forward beer with lots of cocoa, smooth subtle coffee, caramel and some dark fruitiness.

T: Monstrously full flavored deep dark malt-forward bitchin' stout. This is packed with so much goddamn flavor. I can't begin to describe the coating of roasted malts, bitter dark cocoa with a slight, subtle touch of coffee and even less black licorice.

M: As expected with an RIS it coats the mouth wonderfully and leaves what I assume is the same lacing as on the glass.

O: Easily hit the top 10 beers I've had. Might be one of the best stouts I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. This one does not have a lot of hype but maybe it should. (970 characters)

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
VINTAGE: 2008 12oz bottle

Oh, man, this is black like tar. A smattering of dark brown foam bubbles appear and receed into the depths, rather quickly. A slight ring of tiny bubbles are at the surface edge. They provide lacing in the form of speck-like bubbles. These slide slowly back down to the surface, along the oily residue that this beer leaves on the side of the glass.

This has a big nose full of rich malt notes. Tons of roastiness. Lots of dark chocolates and a good deal of espresso beans. More mild hints of leather and smoke. A touch of dark fruit sweetness. Very light trace of vanilla.

The taste follows the components found in the nose. The beauty is that here they are all very balanced and harmonious. All of the flavors seem to be on an even playing field and nothing trys to outshine anything else.
Extremely well balanced.

The mouthfeel is in the upper-end of full. I'd almost go ahead and call it thick. It has a great viscous quality. The carbonation level is mild, which helps keep this one ultra-smooth, but doesn't give it much creaminess, which is something that I think benefits a good stout, very well.

The 8.50%abv is hidden inside of this one, amazingly well. It is so easy to drink. I'd like to have an endless supply of this around, so that I could drink it everyday...because I would. (1,372 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Drank before the Superbowl, shared with two. Poured to snifter. 2009 750ml bottle.

A: Dark DARK brown almost pitch black with a 1 cm dirty brown head. Some lacing as the glass empties.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Big malt backbone on this.

T: Similar to smell. Very smooth, roasty and coffee like. I'm surprised at how smooth it is. Nice dark chocolate notes, but subtle.

M: Relatively low carbonation but appropriate. I'd say medium bodied over full bodied. Partially this may be due to the drinkability. Easy going.

D: Highly drinkable. I do not think this is best stout I've had but it's way up there. I enjoyed it a lot and it is exquisitely drinkable. (676 characters)

Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.