Imperial Stout Trooper - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout TrooperImperial Stout Trooper

2010 - 750ml bottle and Groucho glasses label change
2011 - bottle date added to label
2012 - 500ml bottles
2013 - 500mL bottle labeled 12/2013

(Beer added by: goodbyeohio on 12-29-2006)
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Got this in a trade from Ineedabeerhere. I'd been wanting to taste this for a while, so I was really glad to have this opportunity. Thanks! This beer is quite, quite good and I think lives up to the hype. I'd put it up there near the top for RISs. Pours viscous and absolutely black with a fairly thin head even after a hard pour. What head there is is chocolate brown- one of the darker I've seen. It smells nutty and quite chocolatey, with a powdery dark cocoa aroma as well as some cream, licorice, and even some spicy hops on the finish. Very nice. The taste is beautiful. Extremely smooth, almost syrupy, but only slightly sweet. Wonderful, rich cocoa notes dominate followed by some licorice notes, a touch of coffee and vanilla. Really well balanced, and very nice. A slight dustiness on the finish. Wonderful mouthfeel, that is silky and thick, and creamy but not overly sweet or unctuous. A tiny bit powdery, but to me that just heightens the interest and gives the tongue some purchase. Very, very nice and in fact perhaps a bit better than I expected.

05-06-2009 02:09:29 | More by Georgiabeer
ncvbc

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Vitrually black, smallest ruby brown edges. Beautiful creamy tan head with light lacing down the glass, settles to a ring within a few minutes.

Smell is quite nice with licorice or molasses up front. Dark bitter chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, hint of coffee and dark fruit. Very deep and dark.

Taste is pretty amazing. Big and rich, quite complex and something I can't get enough of. The molasses isn't quite as prevalent but still in the background. Rich, chocolate goodness along with coffee and hints of vanilla. Almost an espresso like flavor but a bit darker. Light tartness from dark fruits. Hints of bitterness from roast and hops.

Mouthfeel is lush, very creamy and full. Silky smooth and like velvet on the tongue.

Damn, I definitely enjoyed this one. If it were sold in 4-packs and I lived in the area, mine would be gone in an evening.

Big thanks to naproxen for this unbelievably delicious treat!

07-26-2008 22:36:04 | More by ncvbc
Overlord

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer has been retired?

KHAAANNN!!!

I had two glasses of Abyss on tap today, and a bottle of this. You know what, damned if perhaps I didn't like this more.

Poured black with dark brown edges and a big cascading head. Not sure what the ABV is, but this was one of the longest lasting and best looking toppings of foam I've ever seen (nice deep tan color). Plus, the bottle is f***ing sweet.

Delicious blending of chocolate, vanilla (love that vanilla!) molasses, a bit of coffee (but not too much) and tart/roasted cherries. Just wonderful in every respect. Perfectly carbonated, great chewy mouthfeel.

02-02-2008 08:36:45 | More by Overlord
gpcollen1

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

This one pours black as night into my Smutty Big Bieer glass. Head rises mightily so I cannot get all 12 oz in on the first pour. Once it has a chance to rest, the remaining beer hits the glass and the head diappears to all but a ring around the glass.

Aromas of dark bittersweet bakers chocolate and alcohol soaked black cherries dominate and wanr to hints of fruity espresso beans and fresh figs sauteed, add some port with a vanilla bean.

Taste is a rush over the tongue...waaves of dark roasted cocoa beans with a generous portion of sweet black cherriesand some coffee bitterness winds out the tongue. The mouth on this is quite nice as my tongue and lips feel ever coated in this wonderful elixir.

This is one dangerous brew that suites my palate quite nicely. I cannot believe how tasty and drinkable this. Not many a flaw here as I may have found my one and only tru e love. Not one characteristic is too overbearing and all of them agree with me famously....I may have to buy all that are left.

Thank you NEBC!

AdamF625

12-04-2013 03:16:49 | More by AdamF625
SpeedwayJim

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Had this one at Rattle-n-Hum during NY Beer week with capra12. Served in a Brooklyn Brewery Pint Glass.

A: Poured opaque and silky with a 1/2 finger creamy caramel head. Left layered lacing to the point where I could tell how much I sipped each time I did so.

S: Dark fruit (raisins, prunes) sweet soy sauce, dark roasted chocolate, vanilla, and sugary malts.

T: Opens with raisins and sweet soy sauce and develops into a chocolate, vanilla concoction without losing the initial taste. This one just builds and builds. Ends with slightly sour malts and a deep, dark soy sauce aftertaste that lingers.

M: Viscous, silky, and deep bodied just like it should be. Almost no carbonation and really coasts the mouth with layers and layers of flavor.

D: This brew was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to have it again. Definitely worth the hype and if I have to say so myself, no question that this is on par with Dark Lord, the stuff worthy of a cult following.

09-12-2009 01:39:51 | More by SpeedwayJim

11-28-2011 23:08:39 | More by nmann08
BitterPachyderm

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Another mini milestone for me...not in terms of numbers of reviews, but a milestone for a huge beer from my wants list, brought to me by Knifestyles...thank you so much!

This has to be the most unique and baddest assed bottle I've seen so far...12 oz. bottle poured into my very privelaged pint glass...

Once I broke through that wax seal, little did I know what I was in store for...

Appearance on this bad boy was oh so perfect! Huge and sticky mountain of milk chocolate head with great retention. Lots of lacing and perfect legs...IST had an midnight black body with so much opacity. There were some ruby highlights around the edges, but mostly just black...so damn black!!

Lots of smoke and raspberries in the nose. There is also some bacon and coffee up front. Notes of tobacco and sweet chocolates near the back...and some moloses and leather as it warms. Very complex nose...

Damn this beer is balanced! Lots of sweet chocolates and pit fruits at the front with tons of wood and smoke to balance out the finish. It still has a sweet finish, but some hops and malts help neutralize it into a slighty balanced mixture of sweet and bitter. Oats and raisings as it warms as well...liquid happpiness!

So smooth and creamy, like the best chocolate milk imaginable...only better!

This is too drinkable...smooth and balanced with almost no alcohol showing through? This could be the death of me, lol!

This beer had everything that I could possibly ask for in a stout of any kind. I haven't had a lot of the top 100, but this is up there on my list. I will be doing all I can to aquire more of it in the future, because I want to see what it tastes like aged...this beer was definitely a journey. And a journey that I owe in part to Knifestlyes!

GREAT BEER!!

Stockfan42

11-08-2012 01:49:09 | More by Stockfan42
mholland

01-09-2013 02:40:55 | More by mholland
Imperial Stout Trooper from New England Brewing Co.