Wet Willy Scotch Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Wet Willy Scotch AleWet Willy Scotch Ale

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2008)
3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to woosterbill for this--it's been too long, CL needs another release soon!

Pours a dark brown mahogany color with a bit of an off white head. The nose brings forward some pretty nice aromas of caramel, butterscotch, dark fruits, sweet bread, and a bit of booze. The taste brings out similar characteristics, but everything is a tad bit harsh and slightly taken over by alcohol. Good body with decent carbonation, though still a bit hot. I'm anxious to see what some age does to this.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Note: This is a review of a 2-year aged bottle of Wet Willy -- my experience has been that this beer tastes much better with at least a year of age.

I have been looking for a long time for a scotch ale to replace the special place in my beer collection once held by the no-longer-imported McEwan's Scotch Ale... and now I have to say I've found something *better*. It has a depth of sweetness (but not too much), that is superior to McEwan's. The only real area I think where it loses to McEwan's is in the appearance -- could be darker and more opaque. (Of course, this comparison to McEwan's should be read with the caveat that I was a big fan of McEwan's when I was much newer to the world of craft beers and my beer-tasting pallet was far less refined, so perhaps if I had McEwan's now I would not by as positive. Regardless, this beer is an impressive example of scotch ale.)

Appearance - A cloudy brown with light lacing and a small amount of head which dissipates slowly. Could be a deeper brown and perhaps slightly better head retention.

Smell - toffee, caramel, very mild peaty smokey notes; very pleasant to inhale.

Mouthfeel - exceedingly smooth; slightly sticky and coats the tongue; lingers in the back of your throat in a pleasant way.

Taste - Caramel, cofee and toffee are predominant with floral backtaste; very very subtle notes of fruit. Has a very deep flavor profile. For a Scotch ale, it's relatively rich and complex (so not complex like a good gueze). Only negative, which is extremely mild, is that there is a slight "thinness" in the taste at the end of the sip.

Drinkabiliity - excellent; goes down easily; smooth and clean

Note: rated to the style

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle.

Pours an opaque rust colored red with a 1 finger head that quickly recedes to form a nice collar around the glass.

The first aroma I smell is booze followed by sweet malts and notes like caramel and butterscotch. I have to say once you get past the bourbon (?) notes it really is nice.

Now for the first taste...warm and creamy with a nice butterscotch taste. Not as alcohol harsh as I thought it might be. Pretty smooth tasting. Slight oak flavor. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, I'd say this is a very tasty beer. A sipper for sure though!

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

I have been looking forward to cracking this one for a while...

A - It took forever to cut through the fancy bottle cap wrapping. At first it poured a light amber scotch ale color. As I was watching this, a large chunk of something came out from the bottom and made the beer significantly more cloudy. Very little head.

S - Plenty of booze, But delicious scents of roasted malt and smokiness are also very obvious. It smells great.

T&M - Heavy is an understatement but I expected this. While it is a bit on the syrupy side, the big flavors match the big sweetness. Plenty of smokey roasty goodness that was apparent in the nose, and a nice BA component turns it into a great sipper. A little bit boring on the boozy finish, but still very good.

D - A sipper through and through, but I am glad to have gotten a chance to try this.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

consumed a couple days ago, from notes

Pour is a cloudy ruby-amber. Sticky-sweet bourbon nose, the taste is similar with butterscotch candy, brown sugar, vanilla, toffee and caramel. Body is a little sticky as well. They didn't do too much to cover up the alcohol, as it is certainly present and noticeable.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to Knifestyles for this bottle! I think this is an '09 vintage. Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Reddish brown with a slick/oily look to it. Not much carbonation here, but works well with the style.

S: Boozy, candied yams, brown sugar, and some butter? They must have made this around Thanksgiving time.

T: Surprisingly not too sweet, nutty, caramelly, and just overall rich.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect amount of dryness. By it's looks, I thought this beer would be syrupy, but I was pleasantly surprised.

D: Perfect amount of booze; age really did this beer well.

Overall, by far my favorite of this style.

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy orange-brown color with a white head. The aroma is very sweet toffee and not much else. The flavor is toffee and a lot of sugar. The beer is extremely sweet and doesn't have any alcohol or peet character to it like a lot of beers in this style have. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

I think this was from thorpe429 - thanks! Served in a Pisgah pint glass. Pretty sure it's from 2009.

A - Pours with a half-finger of light tan foam that settles to a thin collar and some haze. Body is a murky orange-brown color that is pretty drab and unappealing. I tried to decant this one carefully, but a huge chunk of yeast just flew out of the bottle - yummy!

S - Green apples, treacle, toffee, light smoked malt, a touch of vinous character. A touch boozy, but not off-base for 10%.

T - Taste is significantly sweeter, with a tiny bit of tart apple initially before bombarding the palate with intense caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, and burnt sugars. There's some oak and tannic character in the finish.

M - Low carbonation, but not style-inappropriate. Pretty viscous, full-bodied, and chewy with a somewhat dry, tannic, residual feel. I don't get much heat, but a slight buzz picks up near the bottom of the glass revealing the high ABV.

D - This is one of those bottles where I kept it in the fridge and occasionally gave it a glance, thinking to myself "When do I actually want a 10% Scotch Ale?" However, this beer was a pleasant surprise, and I finished the bottle fairly quickly. I'd definitely have this one again.

For all those who picked up "barrel/wood" notes - this is aged on oak chips.

3.93/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in a trade from woosterbill.

Pours a kind of copper color, looks clear, but the last bit of the bottle drops in a cloud of haze that settles trhough. The head is loose, and maybe maxes at 1cm, dies quickly, but the beer seems well carbonated. The smell has caramel and sweet booze, but I also sense a kind of tea-like smell in there. A little wood and vanilla come to the nose as well. But you can't escape the malty sweetness of the smell. Tastes the same, sweet caramel, with just a little hint of booze. It's kind of like a whiskey and coke or something, but with a lot more on the coke end (though not quite as sweet as straight coca-cola). The wood provides a nice bit of body with a creamy feel and a taste of vanilla. The kind of leafy, tea taste comes in with a little wash in the end. The sweetness is nice, but is held in check by a slight sharpness of booze. A fairly nice tasting scotch ale, though I would like a little more complexity in the beer (well, I guess it does have a little age on it), in the form of maybe some slight smoke, or some roastiness. The carbonation is sharp and biting, not quite what I expected, but it calms down considerably about half-way through (at least at my pace). Overall, the mouthfeel is alright. Overall, an interesting beer, one that I really liked, though I'd like to know what it was like when it was released, to compare to what I had.

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed from notes

Pours a deep copper with a finger of quickly dying head and no lacing. The aroma is an absolutely enormous blend of sweet caramel maltiness and booze. It actually made my stomach rumble while I was smelling it. Every bit of that 10% shows, but thats OK because the malt profile is big enough for the wee heavy title.

The flavor is also big, but not as huge as the aroma suggested. The alcohol is quite a bit lower than the aroma as well. The malt profile is sweet and earthy. Not quite as rich as I would like....I don't want to use the term "watered down" because that would not be an accurate description, but there does seem to be something missing to really give it that classic wee heavy kick.

The body is in between medium and full. Good enough, but I expect near perfection in my scotch ales. Drinkability is solid. A nice sipper in a social atmosphere, but not complex enough warrant much concentration when drinking alone.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked up at the BA IST release

A: Flocculent yeast dots this primarily dark red-orange beer. I probably shouldn't have poured the entire bottle in to the glass but at 8$, there was no way I was wasting a drop. Little head formed and quickly receded.

S: Prominent sweet malt profile comes through, with some peat and ethanol permeating the nose. It just smells deeeep. Some light fruits are mixed in too.

T: Wow, what a sweet beer. It blasts off with an almost sweet red wine quality, giving way to mild smoke with drying finish. The malts are robust and linger but I'm not sure if I am enjoying the sweetness.

M: Carbonation is present but faint. For the ABV, this is a fairly light beer, lacking some of the viscosity I've had in other Scotch ales.

D: I'm OK with just this one.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Poured from the glass with no head. Just a collar and a little diffuse haze layer. No real lacing. The body is a turbid- heavily sedimented orange-amber color, with little chunks of presumed yeast floating in it. No visible carbonation.

S- The aroma is definitely malt-forward; comprised of pale and stewed malts. Intense fruity esters on the nose that are simultaneously vinous, citrus and reminiscent of light fruits. Definite booziness on the nose. Like a glass of rum-soaked fruit. As the beer warmed, some madiera notes emerged as well.

T- HOLY F**K!! This beer is huge! The pale and stewed malts are right up front, and so concentrated that it's bordering on cloying sweetness. The fruity esters in there are akin to light fruits- even banana, which I typically wouldn't associate with Scotch ale (I normally expect dark fruit). The finish is an echo of fruity ester kissed with oak and booze. As the beer warmed, some madiera notes emerged as well. Not to style, but still tastes good.

M- A thick chewy mess textured with yeast and unattenuated sugar. A delicate carbonation. Some mild heat from the booze. Superb mouthfeel.

D- The alcohol is well hidden... but I could anticipate the fruity esters becoming overpowering past one bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz provided by Buckeyeboy... Thanks Jeremy for this new to me brew.

Pours fairly clear dark brown... nice highlites but no real head or lacing..

Nose is pretty traditional Wee Heavy.. very malty with some dark fruits....

Malty without verging on cloying... some caramel malts play well... dark toast.. figgy.... background peat smoke adds a layer of complexity that I don't really jive with but appreciate nonetheless... barrel essence too that seems too much and sorta distracts from the base beer.

I had a hard time with this one.... Lately I've not been in to Wee Heavies.. and even more not into barrel aged versions... this is pretty good but needs more nuance to make it into my big league.

3.5/4/3.5/4/3.5

Thanks again Jeremy.... I wish I could appreciate this one more.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

I grabbed two bottles of this yesterday at the Barrel Aged Imperial Stout Trooper release at the brewery. Color is lighter than expected, ruby red with about one finger of white heading. Lots of yeast can be seen floating around as well. The nose is immediately noticeable, with big blasts of caramel, vanilla, and dark stone fruit. More of the same from the taste, with more of an essence of scotch and peat flavors coming through. All of these flavors are very bright, and in the forefront, with a bit of smoke in the aftertaste. Body is moderate to heavy. Alcohol presence is definitely there, but does not hinder the drinking experience at all, it actually adds some complexity. Although a sipper, this one is immensely drinkable and damn tasty also. The label reads, "Inspired by the mist-shrouded shores of Loch-Adam, we offer this hand-crafted Scotch Ale to you, our friends." All I can say is thanks right back for an awesome brew.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Just received this brew from the ever generous naproxen. Scotch ales can be hit or miss but a good one is, well, good. Lovely packaging as well. Drank from my Surly nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a murky dark orange with a decent enough off-white head that sits about a half finger tall. A thin cap and collar remains but unfortunately not any lacing.
Smell- Has a sort of rich sweet smell that is hella malty and somewhere between burnt sugars and butterscotch. A touch of smoke along with some dark fruits consisting of dates and/or raisins. A touch of bourbon oak and a deep woody aspect. Some vanilla creeps in as well but all in all, nice nose.
Taste- Starts with a touch of caramel but the beer isn't sweet at all. A bit of earthy peated malt and rich doughy malt make up a majority of the beer. Light oak that is very lightly woody as well, lending a bit of vanilla and bourbon. The finish is smooth and lightly toasted.
Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy with not a lot of carbonation. Almost has a cask like feel to it.
Drinkability- Not bad, not bad at all. It's definitely a bit more complex than most Scotch Ales and the oak is a welcome addition. I think I'd really like to try more from New England Brewing but just haven't had the opportunity. Thanks much Aliza!

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Jaxon53 for the hook-up on this offering. Pours a hazey golden honey color. Bits of yeast chunks float around from a complete pour. Almost no head, very minimal.
Very much of a scotch aroma, but not as strong as straight scotch. Some oak barrel aromas too.
Mostly quality scotch taste. Mildly watered down scotch drink. Some clove mixed in. Some buttery flavors too. Finishes a little dry with oak barrel tones.
Thin to slight medium mouthfeel.
Enjoyable oak dryness left in mouth.
May have a bit too much scotch flavor. As mentioned above, reminds reviewer of a slightly watered down scotch. Would perfer a little more noble hop and grain profile. May be a bit too sweet also. Enjoyable offering, personal preferance may not have been met, however quality offering here.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Consumer on 3/6 in my basement while staining outdoor furniture 

12oz bottle to tulip

A: See through golden amber. Minimal head and lacing.

S: smells of sweet whiskey and malts.

T: Caramel, vanilla, malt, and some oak character. I'm not even sure this was oak aged at all but I certainly thought I tasted it.

M: low carbonation but appropriate.

D: surprisingly drinkable and coy. Willy will take you out to the tool shed behind the school and mess you up. Really good beer overall and one I'm glad I have a few of. I'll share another bottle soon with friends. Glad this will be made again this year also.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from Samichlaus. Thanks, Tom. Let it sit for a couple of months to mellow out, and then poured it into my tulip glass tonight.

A: Murky butterscotch-hued brown in color and only slight carbonation rises upwards. This creates a relatively thin head. The high ABV does a good job of checking the head and it dissipates rapidly into a ring of bubbles.

S: Figs and dates abound in the bouquet and are combined with strong peat-smoked malts that give this beer a distinctive scotch character.

T: Very similar to the aroma, the taste again hits with the dark fruits and a big scotch flavor that takes center stage. There is also an oaky characteristic that imparts some vanilla and woody notes.

M/D: Smooth and creamy, but a bit thin as it gets closer to room temp. Still, overall, this is probably the best of this style that I have tried. This beer will probably be the one that really lets me figure out this style like I want to be able to.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Opened it up and smelt it and it seems to be -bal aged. I was unaware of this, so I am very excited right now.

Poured into Bells snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of beige head that fades to a thin layer. Very light lace. Color is a dark maroon hued murky brown. Active carbonation in the glass.

Aroma: Smell is of wood, vanilla, whiskey, caramel, toffee, and lots of malts. A very nice smelling scotch ale. All the flavors blend together well.

Taste: This beer packs a decent whiskey punch to it, but it benefits the style well. A big punch of vanilla and wood flavors. Toffee and caramel flavored malts. This beer is very malty and has some sweet notes. It seems to have some dark fruits, maybe dried cherries.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. No heat showing which is really nice for how high the abv is. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry, big malt flavor with some vanilla.

Overall, this was a solid scotch. I enjoyed what the barrels did to this style. The abv didn't show at all, making this dangerous. I highly recommend this one. Great for the style plus drinkable = a winner.

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

12 oz into pint glass, warmed to ~40 ºF.

A - Pours a dark foggy brown, small frothy head that quickly recedes to a white crown.

A - A dusty, figgy, dates with whiskey thing going on with subtle alcohol -definitely not solventy though.

T - Dates and fig with a strong whiskey characteristic. Predominantly sweet, partially balanced by lingering alcohol. An immediate and pleasing warming character. The 10 % ABV is extremely well hidden.

M - Round and well bodied, but with a little carbonation keeping things interesting.

D - Could do two perhaps but not for lack of wanting! This is heavy stuff. Not a session beer.

Possibly the very definition of a wee heavy?

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy mahogany color with a nice light tan head that lingers nicely.
A wonderful nose of sweet malt,dark fruit, bourbon and caramel.
Taste is as stated above with the bourbon being fairly strong with a slight alcohol burn to boot. This is delicious though.
Mouthfeel is superb - The brew is silky smooth with beautiful fine carbonation. Really impressive. Medium body.
I really enjoyed this beer. I look forward to it's release again.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Got this one from sinstaineddemon. Thanks.

Mahogany colored, a bit cloudy in the glass. Two fingers of off-white head forms from a delicate pour and slowly settles to a crown.

Toffee and butterscotch, toast, nuts and dates are the first to greet my nose. Increased temperatures and vigorous swirls bring out aromas of vanilla, brown sugar and whiskey.

It's rich and sweet on the tongue, but the sweetness is balanced nicely by woody tannins. Butterscotch, toast and dates again, along with a slight twang of more citrusy fruit. The body is on the fuller side of medium, slightly syrupy but well carbonated for the style. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess that this is barrel-aged as the malt character is very bourbon-like. It finishes bittersweet, a little slick with a hint of earthiness. Light hoppiness and oaky tannins linger on the palate. This one really surprised me - it's very good.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to BTPete....a thoughtful extra.

Operation Kitchen Improvement begs for some assistance. Per request, Wet Willy enters the fray.

Wildly hazy and oily pour. Deep caramel with a frothy head that plunges to the depths to be seen no more. Major league sediment.

Smell jumps from the bottle even before the entire cap is peeled away. Soft bourbon and vanilla and a freshly opened sack of brown sugar. Begs to be smelled.

Big brown sugary doughnut wrapped with tempered bourbon. Soft vanilla envelops the sugared pastry. Nice.

Slippery little devil slides around the mouth. Carbonation? Willy don't need no stinkin' carbonation.

Willy wants you to enjoy. Ten percent hidden beautifully.

Edit: Looking back at this, it doesn't seem this beer is barrel aged, but damn if I didn't pick it up. Hmmmm....

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - dark amber.ruddy brown with very scant visible carbonation, plenty of suspended sediment, a thin white head that fizzes away quickly

S - super sweet, molasses, caramel, toffee, scotch/bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, red licorice, so many aromas, even some tea solids aroma, what a nose!

T - holy crap, its like im tasting the aroma, red licorice takes the lead, with some liquor flavors, the scotch and mainly the bourbon, vanilla, oak, woody resin, acetyl sweetness - toffee, caramel, and some darl fruits to round it out, raisins, dates, plums

M&D - on the thin side of medium bodied, layered and complex, smooth is an understatement, a well hid doubel digit ABV, NEBCO has a hit here!

my previous review was St. Arnold Divine Reserve #8, which i called "one of the better wee heavys i have experienced" if this wee heavy is #1, that one is #2 of those i have had.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

An extra little gem received from roopy40 in person, great trader btw. I'm a fan of most of the New England brews so I'll see how this is. They also filled the neck of the bottle almost right to the top. Pretty wild!

A: Pours a beautiful molten light brown color with a huge haze, light orange and red colors with very little light bleeding through, and tons of little bubbles rising to the top. A light head slowly fades to an even light head, which is deceiving since there are so many bubbles rising to the top.

N: Another aroma nose smacker. I could smell it when I poured it. Lots of sweet dark malts with lots of sugar. A specific toasty brown sugar aroma dominates with some European/UK style malts. Some light molasses and alcohol lightly filter their way through. A light fruit from the yeast also seems to be apparent.

T: Starts off pretty sweet, and with abv of 10% it must of had a huge OG. Again a lot more brown sugar and European/UK malts. More sweetness that doesn't really fade, and perhaps too sweet. A nice smokiness comes through as well with some smoked malt and slight roasted flavors. An apparent taste of alcohol comes through, but its not really heavy, esp for a 10%er. I pickup some rusty earthy malt flavors as well. A slight rich dark fruit flavor also presents itself, like a caramelized plum or date or something, man I need to eat more fruits so I have better descriptors.

M: Pretty thick and molasses like, decent carbonation, slight alcohol warmth and sting.

F: Finish is still pretty sweet, and even almost seems to get sweeter after the swallow. A very slight bitterness comes through, but the alcohol also helps dominate the finish. It seems to burn the mouth a little and leaves it feeling super clean, like it just killed every microbe in your mouth, like after using mouthwash (but this tastes much better). It leaves a bready flavor in the mouth as well. The sweetness lingers for a little too long as well.

Final thoughts: A pretty nice tasting beer. Heavy malts, lots of brown sugar, toasty flavors, lots of smoked malt, pretty high on the alcohol but feels much less than 10%, a little too sweet, but otherwise a tasty beer.

Wet Willy Scotch Ale from New England Brewing Co.