Gandhi-Bot Double IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPAGandhi-Bot Double IPA

Wants: 1,189
New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: woosterbill on 04-02-2010

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

Reviews: 550 | Hads: 2,670
4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

I received this beer as an extra from Shaggy9356, thanks Matt! Before pouring it into my snifter I had to take a swig from the can to know what I was getting into. Needless to say, I already want more. It poured a murky burnt orange with a one finger creme colored head. It smells of floral, bitter hops and I love it. This is the most floral beer I've had in awhile. The flavor is very dry and bitter and finishes with a sweet citrus like flavor that goes into the drier hop ridden aftertaste. This gets big points from me. It drinks impressively smooth and crisp simultaneously. What an awesome beer, and from a can?!?! This beer lives up to the hype and is exceptionally drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Big thanks goes out to ubufan2112 for this can (1 of 4!). 12oz into a NB Globe.

A: Pours quite turbid, amber in color with about half an inch of white head that recedes to a cap with tons and tons of little splotches of lacing as it recedes. An island of bubbles is left in the middle.

S: Hops! Resinous pine and grapefruit, tons and tons of dank resinous hops at first. Underneath that is a nice grainy malt profile, touch of caramel and a bit of bread. Just a bit of booze. Absolutely awesome in the nose here.

T: Follows over nicely from the nose, big juicy hop profile of citrus and pine, and an intense bitterness at the end. Tons of hop resins that I love. Not much of a malt bill, maybe just a touch of caramel, but that's okay. Incredibly hop forward. Just a hint of booze. I love this stuff.

M: Spot on, medium carbonation, heavier in body, just a bit of boozy warmth and a surprisingly dry finish as well. Excellent here.

D: Dangerous, yes its a high ABV, high IBU, monster of a beer, but I could pour this back all night, and happily not taste anything for the rest of the night. A very well done, gasp...East Coast IPA! Very happy to try this one, and I wish I could get it on the regular. Awesome beer.

Thanks Mike!

3.45/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance: clear yellow with a lot of head that dies back a bit. Lots of lacing on the glass

Smell: lots of citrus hops with some floral hints

Taste: fairly hoppy. A bit of bitterness to it but definitely not much of a dipa... More like a slightly hopper ipa.

Mouthfeel: not really that great on the palette. A bit thin for a dipa and no malt backbone really to speak of

Drinkability: fairly drinkable but the bitterness gets to me

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Received on a trade.

Poured into glass - very nice golden color. Minimal head with lots of floatys.

Taste - Clean but strong IPA. Nice floral taste, not just pumped up bitter hops.

Very smooth (for the style) and easy to drink. Not something I personally could drink a lot of, but not something that made me not want another drink.

I am sending these to friends that would appreciate.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Got as an extra from ngeunit1, thanks man!

A: Orange hue that is very hazy. Sweet sticky lacing and a small ring of white head, looks like squeezed grapefruit juice.

S: Also smells like grapefruit juice with tons of citrus, grass hop, pine, bready malt and more bright fruit. Nice!

T: Very bitter overall, especially grapefruit on the back of the palate. Lots of citrus, dry and sweet malt thats pretty subdued, some kitchen spice and fruit rind. I really enjoyed the fresh can from the brewery, it's very juicy and hoppy.

M: Nice smooth and great carbo, leaves huge bitter feel on the tongue.

D: Very Good beer overall, would buy if I saw it in the store!

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

-very foggy dark gold color with a thin white head. looks nice for a beer, but too foggy for an IPA

-big time grassy and grapefruit in the olfactory region. a bit of orange citrus in there too. very strong and sniff that is DIPA necessary

-the citrus come in big up front and then the maltiness bleeds in nicely through the middle. good and spicy bitterness to finish, but not over the top. leaves a strong grapefruit mouth after swallowed

-rich and full throughout. nothing upsetting in the carbonation

-very good IPA. i would say the best DIPA in a can i have had in a can. really wish this was made in the west coast for all my outdoor adventures

4.59/5  rDev +7%

poured into a snifter. very cloudy with an orange color. head is not as big as I would like, but pour was also semi-passive so maybe that's it. the smell is of tropical fruits and strong. Very much like a Sculpin in that way. Taste is similar, with a powerful hop presence although bitterness is minimal. mouthfeel is on the thicker side for a DIPA, but pleasant. Drinkability is incredibly good. This is one of the few East Coast IPAs that seems to draw inspiration from San Diego breweries. Excellent beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz can from a 4-pack (Christmas gift!) - served in a standard pint glass

A - pours with about a finger height of creamy, tight just slightly off-white foam, taking its time to settle to a thick film and leaves a solid layer of wet and sticky lace behind. the beer is pretty hazy, bright gold in color.

S - heavy on the tropical fruits...loads of freshly cut grapefruit, mango, and a hint of candied pineapple and oranges. just a bit of rich caramel malt for balance and sweetness. slightly piney as well as it warms a bit.

T - starts slightly sweet before a hefty hop bite takes over the mouth. again, tropical fruit heavy as grapefruit simply dominates, bringing pineapple and some mango along for the ride. the sweet malt balance is there but gets lost in the hops (not a bad thing). alcohol is actually quite noticeable and comes through near the end of each sip, though meshes rather nicely with the bold hop flavors and bitterness.

M - thick, luscious body with a moderate to low level of carbonation, it might actually benefit from just a touch more. very oily throughout, with an attempt at a dry finish assisted by a big bold bitterness. not a chore to drink by any means, though.

D - not just solid, but a damn fine wonderfully crafted DIPA. easily the best beer I've had by NEBC to date (including IST, which I was a big fan of). this is straight out of the left coast, with a wonderful look, scent, and taste. this is CAN #2 down from a 4pack I just received today, the other 2 will be gone in no time.

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz can - an extra from a generous trader. Thanks, you know who you are!! Poured into a snifter.

This beer looks nice in the glass. It's an orange color with some gold on the edges The beer is solid in color but is a bit cloudy compared to what I consider to be the best of the style. It has some head and decent lace, but nothing like the best cans out there like Surly and even Oskar.

Things start to pickup when we get to the nose. The smell is comprised of pineapple, orange, and other citrus. There's also some grass and maybe even a touch of mint. I found this to be a touch piney but not resinous, more tropical and very pleasant. No malt is apparent at all.

The taste of this beer is the best part - YAY, that's a great thing!! The beer is medium bitter with some nice sweetness from the malt. The malt was missing in the nose but comes through in the taste, adding some caramel and bready notes. The hops steal the show with really fresh, dank notes that never become too bitter - I find the masters of IPA's and DIPA's are able to get more flavor than bitterness out of their hops, and NEBCO has done that here. Some citrus and flowers show off the kind side of the green cones.

Gandhi-Bot is medium bodied with creamy carbonation and is very pleasant to drink. Mostly because the beer is not sticky or coating. This is delicious, I would drink a ton of this if it was around. Very nice canned DIPA, but also just a very nice DIPA all-around.

3.82/5  rDev -11%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TheManiacalOne for letting me have a shot at this one.

This beer pours an odd cloudy orange with tints of brown and lots of white sediment floating around inside the glass. There was a decent white frothy head, but the yeast sediment is a big turn off. The smell is a mixture of piny hops and lemon zest, it's rather nice but still not strong enough to be in the realm of a bouquet. The taste is aggressively hoppy. The front end is a nice sweet floral taste, but quickly degrades into a bitter film left on the tongue. It's a pretty drinkable IPA, but I must admit that it does truly have some bigger flaws. Overall still a rather pleasant beer something that would be just fine with me if I was handed in the future.

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from the can into a Tulip glass...this allowed for the citrus and hops to shine through. Came off piney and sweet at the dame time. The beer poured golden and hazy, with not much in terms of head or lacing for me. Taste was hops of front to me backed by the citrus behind. Agree with some others that it comes off West Coast, but that does not downgrade it in the least. fantastic brew, extremely drinkable, and with the ABV being so well hidden, I could definitely see myself waking up under a table somewhere with a bunch of cans beside me.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark, hazy golden color. Not much head or retention.

Smells quite nice, like a hoppy West Coast ipa. Pine aroma dominates with the citrus not too far behind. I also smell something a bit heavier in there as well, might be caramel malt.

Tastes a bit heavier than what I'd prefer for a DIPA. Although the flavor is hop forward, the malt adds a dimension that I'm not really a fan of. There is also a very earthy taste. It is more bitter than it is flavorful, unfortunately. But I'm just nitpicking here. This is quite a tasty beer.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

had this beer at a recent tasting

the beer pours a slightly hazey golden wheat color with a nice white head.

the smell was over the top, this was the one beer at the tasting where we each had our own, and once poured into the pint glasses the smell took over the living room. straight up hop. can't taste the abv, just feel its affects

a wonderful balance between citrus and the pine hop flavors

good carbonation and very light malt gave this a light mouthfeel

if this beer were not 8.8% I could drink them all day.

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

Acquired from Jayli, so a big "Thank You" goes out to her. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a murky gold color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of piney hops, fruity citrus and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops bitterness that is quickly tempered by a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some sweet flavors of citrus and caramel come in and provide a very good balance. The after-taste is quite hoppy.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down extremely easy, not too filling, nice kick, very good representation of style, this is definitely an excellent 2IPA worth drinking for a whole evening.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from the can into my sam's perfect pint glass

This beer poured a very cloudy, almost orange juice like in color, with a slight, slight tan head that sat nicely upon the body...about 1-2 fingers.

Smell - This beer has one of the best noses I've ever experienced in a beer. Lots of pine, grapefruit citrus notes hit you first, and that's pretty much all I can notice. It heavily reminds me of a fresh Christmas tree...! Wonderful!

Taste - Lets hope the nose and palate agree with each other...and they do! It's not as bitter as one would think it would be, or at least my palate says different, but this DIPA is absolutely juicy and ripe, full of those grapefruit and yummy pine hops. This is my favorite beer to date...and the ABV is hidden very well!

Mouthfeel - the carbonation is so well done, it intertwines with the hops and small malt character to bring everything together. Full mouthfeel for sure.

Drinkability - I could have a few of these based on taste alone, it's a very delicious DIPA. I would stock up on this if it were more available.

All in all, my favorite DIPA to date. I wish I could get my hands on more of it as it's quite delectable. The ABV will creep on you quick, that is for certain! If you have the chance to try this, do not pass it up.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to steve8robin for this one. I poured from a 12 ounce can into a sa perfect pint glass. Deep yellow/orange pour, 2 inch sticky head. The aroma is wonderful, pineapple, oranges and tropical fruit. A big rush of juicy tropical fruit up front, followed by sweet citrus. It has a drying finish, sweeter than I expected. It has a medium/full body, nicely carbonated. A great DIPA, luckily I have another can to enjoy.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz can shared by sstackho, thanks! Pours a nice vibrant orange with a finger of bubbly head. Nose is filled with tropical fruits and citrus rinds - pineapple, grapefruit, mango. Long lasting bitterness, real pithy finish, hint of leafy hops, some pine. Balanced by a biscuity caramel malt body, not too sweet. Hides the ABV real well, nice dry long bitter finish - this is a top notch DIPA and being in a can is a double bonus. Wish we had something like this available here.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

"In a beer can," this is a beauty that I find very hard to pass up when I come across it on my trips to the New England area. If it were sold closer to me, I'd make it an essential to have in the fridge at all times...Into an oversize wine glass, it pours a dull and dense foggy grapefruit-orange color and carries an aroma of crisp sweet grapefruit citrus and orange rind zest. From open to finish, this packs a mega punch of hops that elegantly ravages the palate with citrus bitterness and leaves your mouth feeling like what I can best compare to as the same mouth coating numbness you'd experience after eating a fresh whole small grapefruit. Though this seems a little extreme, I warn you. This is an Imperial IPA that will quickly make great friends with your palate after smothering it and sneaking its a.b.v. in through the back window. Thus, it also becomes dangerously smooth. So hopheads, REJOICE!

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Shawn for bringing over one of the best-named and best-looking cans I've ever seen.

Pours a bright orange with a bubbly white head. Great pineapple nose - lots of sweet citrus, but with a nice biscuit malt backing. Decent bitterness in the flavour, with candied citrus and pine coming to the fore. Excellent balance from the biscuit base. Alcohol is nicely hidden. Medium, smooth body works well.

This is an outstanding take on the style and extremely enjoyable. You New Englanders are lucky!

Appearance: Cloudy golden amber; some decent head and lacing

Smell: big piney floral citrus with some biscuit malts in the back

Taste: Again, nice pine and grapefruit hoppy taste with some crisp clean biscuit malts

Mouthfeel: Medium body; perhaps slightly too much carbonation

Drinkability: Above average DIPA

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared as an extra from COBeerBuff. Thanks again! Poured into a tulip.

A - amazing! A cloudy, radiant golden color with 1.5 inches of white head on top.

S - citrus and hops, but they are of the creamy and sweet variety. Making me thirsty!

T - same as nose - a ton of citrusy hops, but there's a nice smooth sweetness to balance them out on the finish. Really fantastic beer!

M - tastes great, has a lot of flavors and complexity - therefore, feels great!

D - I could go all night (but I know the 8.5 will slow me down sooner rather than later).

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the opportunity to try this one! Pours a super hazy golden orange color with lots of yeast chunkies floating around with a small head and no lacing. Not sure I like all this sediment in my IPAs... Nice, tropical fruit aroma, mostly pineapple and orange, light grapefruit, and a mustiness from the yeast. Taste is very nice, not overly bitter. Good dose of citrus, pale malts give a cracker-like quality, lightly sweet, and again, yeasty. Flavor seems to be a bit light for a double IPA, but I'm glad it's not ridiculously bitter. Body is below medium, and carbonation is very light. Overall, it's well balanced and pretty drinkable, just wish I had known there was this much sediment in the bottom so I could have kept it out of my glass. This might be the one setback of craft beer and cans... Makes it difficult to decant properly. But overall, a tasty brew!

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a cloudy yellowish gold color with good carbonation, nice white head leaving plenty of lacing

S: Some pine and grapefruit, little bit of grass

T: If a pine cone and a grapefruit did the no pants dance this would be the result

M: Booze is masked, medium body

D: Pretty good and easy to drink

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: 1 inch head, cloudy, orange/yellow in color

Smell: pine and citrus hops, some pineapple

Taste: A lot of hops are here. I get pine, citrus, and soapy hops. There is a light caramel backbone

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied, high carbonation, semi-bitter start--bitter middle and super bitter aftertaste. Some sweetness is present in the back.

Drinkability: I do like the combination of the different types of hops. A good beer to sit with if you want a hop bomb. One or two max.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Big time thanks to smutty33 for a fresh 4 pack the highly acclaimed Ghandi-Bot! Sweet 12 oz. orange and black can poured into my DFH signature glass.

A- Pours a solid, completely opaque orange-yellow with a nice half inch of white head. My only knock against the look is that the head isn't larger. I poured it straight down the middle without really holding back and it still only gave me half an inch or so. Mostly large bubbles form the head and stick around the sides of the glass and in patches on the top for the entire beer.

S- Sweet citrus hops and flowery aromas. Hops are pretty strong and there is a slight peppery smell on the end of the aroma.

T- Great juicy hoppy flavors are plentiful. Slightly peppery on the finish. If you've ever had Peach-O's this beer has a big Peach-O flavor. Big grapefruit presence as well. Not much on the malt side. Ghandi-Bot is strong on the hops and isn't sugary sweet on the finish like some more malty IPAs/DIPAs.

M- Very smooth beer. The citrus flavors are somewhat tangy in the back corners of my mouth. Hops are very potent and I can taste them on my breath long after I've swallowed. Also can feel alcohol but it doesn't take away from the beer at all.

D- I could have several of these in one sitting and I'm really glad I was able to trade for some fresh. Not sure if I like it more than Dreadnaught but $11 for a bomber of Dreadnaught or about $10 for a 4pack of Ghandi-Bot (if I remember correctly), I think I'd be grabbing the Ghandi more often if it was available locally.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.