2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPAGandhi-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 04-02-2010)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,605 | Reviews: 478 | Show All Ratings:
yeahnatenelson

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to BigBalls for the extra. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours a golden orange hue, hazy bordering on murky, with one finger of creamy eggnog head. Dynamite lacing.

Smell -- Grapefruit, tangerine, and tropical fruit are very evident, some floral/grassy aroma and juicy sweetness. I'm intrigued.

Taste -- Lots of fruity hop flavor up front: grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, and tropical fruit upon the sip, along with some mild pineapple juice sweetness. Biscuity malt is also in the mix, as well as a sturdy floor of hop bitterness: full, but not bracing. Finish is resin and candied orange zest.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability -- Pretty damn good. I'd be all over this if it were near me. Citrus bomb for sure. Great malting, nice hop bitterness levels, immensely drinkable. Good stuff.

10-14-2010 23:49:20 | More by yeahnatenelson
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from the can into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Got this in an awesome trade with portia99. Thanks!

A - Hazy yellow at the bottom makes its way to a darker hazy yellow at the top. Small white head rests on top.

S - Big tropical fruit hop notes in this one. A bit of citrus as well. A nice smelling DIPA but not mind blowing.

T - Nice grapefruity hop bite at first but it is kind of subdued. A bit of a lingering grapefruit flavor in the end as well. Not picking up on the tropical flavors I noticed in the nose. Really feels like it is missing some juicy hop character.

M - Medium bodied with an average amount of carbonation

D - I dunno. I enjoyed the smell more than the flavor. Could use some more lively hop character. I might try this again on draft but don't see myself seeking out any more cans of this.

10-14-2010 02:24:59 | More by jpmclaug
Sean9689

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Can...extra in a trade but don't remember from who.

A - Pours a hazy golden color, white whisps and large bubbles, thick ring around the edge of the glass with large bubbles.

S - Dank hops, orange peel, some wheat/hay notes.

T - Bitter hops, floral notes, wheat/hay.

M - Light, crisp, refreshing, semi-dry finish.

D - An easy to drink DIPA. Would def go back to this if I was local to this one. Nice.

10-14-2010 02:16:28 | More by Sean9689
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Generous extra courtesy of jpmclaug. Thank you, Jason.

12 oz can into my Unibroue tulip. Pours a mega cloudy orange with a steady quarter inch inch that fizzes and pops at the center. When held to the fading daylight, evidence of yellow hues emerge. Legs go on forever and cling to the glass like a Chilean miner to his sanity. Too soon?

Massive tropical fruits on the nose along with unsalted crackers on the initial pass. A secondary swoop reveals something quite medicinal. It smells like a melding of cherry and menthol cough drops. Since the initial smell is quite enticing and the follow up is, um....less so, I'll split the difference.

Soapy pine, citrus, grass, and bitter with a mild though firm cracker backing. Firm cracker backing....sounds like the aspirations of a local politician in his bid for governor. But, I digress. Stupid barrage of campaign commercials! There's a mash of hops here that I wish profiled more of the tropical fruits and less of the soapy bitter grass. By no means unpleasant, but a bit of letdown after the initial olfactory salvo from the pop of the can. Seems somewhat haphazardly thrown together.

Medium bodied, bubbly and well carbonated, pops on the palate. Goes down quickly from the slick feel, but I'm not sure I'd feel compelled to work my way through another can at this time. No freshness date makes me wonder whether I got the true experience of this beer or not. The results are a mixed bag.

10-13-2010 23:28:07 | More by BarrytheBear
far333

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Hazed amber orange colored with a sizzling white head that settles down to a quarter inch high firm cap. Particulate matter floats around.

Intense aroma of tangerine and orange peel.

Flavor is immediately hoppy, good balance of bitterness and flavor, the full range of citrus with tangerine and grapefruit and giant Florida oranges, plus some pineapple and pine sap. Firm bitterness and just the right balance of honey malt. Alcohol strength doesn't detract.

Full and creamy mouthfeel, very satisfying. a bit of warming in the cheeks. Scarily drinkable. Tremendous DIPA from little old CT. Eassiide...

10-13-2010 20:24:17 | More by far333
Casey10

Maine

4.6/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the Alehouse in Amesbury Ma.

I really, really liked this. While I am a fan of cans have yet to try that version hopefully can get my hands on some to compar.

A - Golden yellow pours hazy white head.

S - Grapruit, floral, pungent really fresh and nice.

T - I loved this was very much in line with a west coast style lots of citrus and hoppy.

M - Again a nice hoppy mouthfeel sticks with you makes your lips smack just from the feel of the citrus.

D - Like I said I liked this found it VERY drinkable and look forward to trying the canned version.

NEBC - please make this a regular in your line up !!

10-11-2010 23:32:16 | More by Casey10
jrallen34

4.13/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz can into a tulip...Dark gold pout with lots of head that has incredible retention but no lacing at all. the beer itself is not appealing, not drinkable looking...The aroma is light for a dipa but really nice. The almost perfect amount of pine hops and alcohol, not at all strong but gives off what you are looking for in a dipa. Not a ton going on complexity wise, but wets my palate...The taste is a touch down, the hops aren't as smooth comes off a little more harsh. again its a little bit of a one noter. Wish more was going on...The feel is pretty nice very sticky and this is an easy drinker.

A lighter and smooth dipa, but nothing that wows you. Worth trying if your around it.

10-08-2010 02:14:05 | More by jrallen34
Hibernator

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA
12 oz can
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

A special thanks to my friend Larry for holding on to one of these for me. I first had this beer up in Portsmouth, NH with some friends that picked up Gandhi-Bot in CT.

Pours a burnt orange with a hazy quality. A touch of mustard yellow highlights the bottom. Awesome trails of sticky lacings all over the glassware. Spectacular trails of sticky lace cling to the sides. Nice head on top. A good-looking beer.

Wow, this has a serious nose with monster citrus, pine and apple whiffs. Can't wait to start sippin' this IPA.

This is way I like this style of IPA. Major orange, biscuit malt and lime citrus fruit flavors, spicy black pepper and sweet pine syrup meld together for a complex beer.

Very sweet and the kinda hop profile that takes your breath away. Extremely bitter, tart and hoppy! Well hidden 8% ABV too. Love the hop burps.

This has to be the best beer currently brewed in Connecticut at the present time, right?!

Recommended.

10-07-2010 21:31:00 | More by Hibernator
Bubba83

3.88/5  rDev -10.8%

Kegatron sent me more awesome beer, somebody needs to stop him as I am finding it difficult to keep up.

Appears a quite cloudy, dark yellow, faded orange. A frothy, eggshell white head crowns the top, about 1/2 inch worth. Retains a small ring, and laces well.

Fuzzy peaches, similar to a Bartles and James... Apricot too. Some nice floral qualities and eventually a bit of spice and earth all make for a nice and complex aroma. I just wish it had a little more oomph.

More peach and apricot at the forefront of the flavor profile. A bit of sting from the alcohol in the mid-range and some heat... A good bit of caramel, and then some rather bracing bitterness that is akin to grapefruit but doesn't quite have that "juicyness" there. Some spice and earth from the yeast wraps things up. I actually think this tastes much different than any other DIPA I've had, and there are some great qualities there, but it just needs to be rounded out a little better and a little more cohesive. Quite a bit of yeast character for a DIPA.

Big fan of the mouthfeel. It has just the right medium chewyness, feels soft, and coats my palate well. The carbonation level is perfect.

Overall this is a nice, interesting DIPA that I had never heard of before. I almost feel like I'm being a little harsh on the taste with my 3.5, as I've warmed up to it a bit, but the intangible harshness makes it a little hard to drink for me, I dunno... I'd recommend trying this beer for sure.

10-07-2010 05:29:01 | More by Bubba83
Jayli

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured in to my Portsmouth tulip

A: This beer pours a hazy, honey color. A rigorous pour yielded a two finger offwhite, frothy, creamy head that retains quite nicely. Thick, sticky lacing coats the glass the whole way through.

S: Nose is nice juicy citrus hops, nice fruity notes, some earthiness and a minor caramel malt flavoring that underlay the fantastic juicy hops.

T: Taste is fantastic. Incredible juicy hops in this beer. Taste starts with an understated light grapefruit citrus presence. Although the flavor is somewhat light, there is a lot of bite at the forefront. The finish has a bit of earthy and piney hops that linger ever so slightly on the tongue. What comes in during the middle and is nicely blended through the middle and finish is a light caramel malt presence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation - surprised at the carbonation in this beer. Crisp mouthfeel at the front and then has an oily finish.

D: Goes down easily, very nice kick, damn good representation of style. I'd been moving away from DIPA's but this is the best DIPA that I've had in a while.

10-07-2010 01:09:57 | More by Jayli
nonstick

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a can.

A: Cloudy orange, nice white head quickly dissipates to sticky lacing to sides of the glass.

S: Big citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, slight orange. Wow, there are some hops used here.

T: The taste for me is a blend of the pineapple, grapefruit, and orange. Then, I get hit with a dry bitterness that makes me salivate for more. Not getting much for malt, I know it's there.

M: Decent body for the mouthfeel, nice tight small bubbles of carbonation. Very nice.

D: I think this is very drinkable, it has flavors I could put up with for an evening. I like this, and hope I can find more in the future.

10-05-2010 22:09:43 | More by nonstick
mdaschaf

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a can into a DFH snifter glass

A:Pours a hazy golden color with a chunky one finger head. Very nice lacing.

S: The hops dominate the nose, also some grapefruit and a little orange zest. Also get a little alcohol, but just barely.

T: Tons of hops on the taste, but not over the top. Has a nice spiciness and for a DIPA is not very bitter. Very nice.

M/D: Very smooth for a DIPA, extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of it!

10-05-2010 03:11:44 | More by mdaschaf
nas5755

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours out a hazy orangery gold color with a nice head that hung around for a while with good lacing . The nose was excellent. From the moment I poured grapefruit and tropical notes were apparent, some melon notes were mixed in as well. The taste is full of tropical and citrus notes with a clean delicate tropical piney resin on the finish. The malts balance is perfect. Carbonation levels are good. Overall, this is an excellent beer and now my favorite east-coast DIPA over Smutty Big A(still need to make a trek up north to the Alchemist).

I am not the biggest fan of DIPA's, most of the time they are too malty and syrupy with an overly aggressive punch of hops that one tastes as over done piney resin. This is one of the few DIPA's that I actually enjoy because the malt is not in charge of the beer and the hop's are balanced out throughout the beer in a nice progression that suggests a well thought out plan of hop additions/dry-hopping.

10-04-2010 22:14:22 | More by nas5755
brentk56

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a decent head that leaves a few strands behind

Smell: An overload of floral citrus; pithy and piney, with just a hint of biscuity malt

Taste: With just a hint of biscuity malt (that persists underneath both before and after the swallow) the beer moves quickly into the pith and pine territory, with a grapefruity character that just assaults the tastebuds; after the swallow, the malt is very clean and serves only as a platform for the hops to continue to do their thing

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: This is a DIPA just like I like them - lots of west coast citrus, a well-attenuated malt character, and the alcohol is well-disguised

10-03-2010 01:43:35 | More by brentk56
SuperNova777

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Notes from 09/21/10

A:Pours a cloudy non transparent orange with a nice thick and luscious 2 fingers
worth of head

S:Smells of a nice mixture of really stinky grapefruit, citrus, and tropical hops.
Really inviting and just what a hop lover is looking for.

T:Just as nose detects big hop flavor happening all around. First off it starts smooth then a punch of the hops with a strong grapefruit and citrus flavor and then smoothing out at end with a slight alcohol tingle. Palate is left a little sticky and not to dry.

M:A really solid body, seems to resemble a Double English IPA, with mild carbonation

D:I received this beer in my first trade on BA and I think I made the right choice and appreciate irishct15 for getting back to me to do it. To put it plain and simple this one is a hop lovers dream, super tasty with hops exploding everywhere, easy drink for ABV, and hands down the best beer I have ever had out of a can....so far. Look froward to scoring more of these in the future.

10-01-2010 04:42:44 | More by SuperNova777
number1bum

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Fresh growler from the brewery. Wanted to save and share in a week or two but it tipped over in the car and bumped the door and started spouting foam everywhere, so I didn't want to risk sitting on it and finding it flat. Awesome. Oh well, I'll just have to bear the burden myself.

Pours a completely cloudy light orange color, more golden than amber, with a thick, dense ivory head that keeps well and leaves a mess on the sides of the glass. The extent of the cloudiness is surprising; never seen a DIPA look quite like this.

The smelll just leaps from the glass (the best part about what happened in the car is I got to smell it for awhile on the way home), full of hoppy goodness. It's resiny, sappy, earthy, dank, and super citrusy. Awesome. Malt? Who needs it. This is really an amazing DIPA nose. It's one that deserves to be savored.

Taste is also intensely hoppy and just plain tasty as hell. Like the nose, it's dripping with resiny pine, earthy hop flavor, pithy yet juicy grapefruit. A good amount of bitterness in the finish as well but not overpowering. There's a bit of malt sweetness but just a bit; the hops are the show here, as they should be. It's quite dry in the finish, with the earthy, resiny hops just drying the hell out of it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and extremely dry as mentioned. Has a good creaminess to it but it's not exceptionally smooth for a DIPA; just so damn dry.

Man, this is a good beer. Really glad I got to try this so fresh. Too bad for my chump friends that they missed out; maybe I'll just have to get another one next time I'm passing through New Haven.

Serving type: growler

10-01-2010 01:15:21 | More by number1bum
3m3rson

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

The new 12 oz. orange can. (I prefer the look of the older silver version though!)

This does not seem like a DIPA compared to the others from the North East I've been drinking. Is that the west coast style? Perhaps the lighter color (sunshine orange) and dry finish fooled me -- I was not inclined to sip, rather I wanted to gulp it down. Very refreshing, and it sat well in my stomach allowing me to have another brew.

09-30-2010 11:18:10 | More by 3m3rson
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

64oz growler poured into a tumbler. Picked this up at the brewery about an hour ago, so it's about as fresh as it can be!

Pours a very orange color, it's fairly hazy and it's got a nice two finger white head that starts to crater a bit and fades down after a few minuets. Nose is really nice, it's a bit light but very fruity and tons of citrus. Grapefruit and sweet floral hops dominate, really nice.

Wow, this'll pop you in the kisser! Very, very bitter and hoppy it's got a nice vegetal hop bite to it with a small bit of graininess to it, but it works really well. Leaves a really earthy and mellowing tone to it in your gut after a while. Nice warming sensation on the way down, it leaves a really good feeling in your gut.

I wanted to find this in a can, but it sold out so quickly I missed out, however getting it fresh on tap is more than a consolation. I met Rob at the brewery and he showed me around, it's a great little stop. I stopped at the liquor store down the road on the way back and I picked up some other NEBC beers (Sea Hag & Elm City Lager), looking forward to them!

Serving type: growler

09-25-2010 18:22:44 | More by kingcrowing
ktrillionaire

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Ghandi-Bot may be the best canned beer I've ever had.

A - It pours a surprisingly paler golden hue, very light-colored for a DIPA; aside from the can, this is the first hint that something is unusual about this brew. There is a nice white head and lace etc... But it is pretty damn pale.

S - The nose is pungent, hop-forward, and seems to fall between an IPA and a DIPA, as it is quite hoppy but does not seem to have a heavy malt backing. The hop profile is unusually dank and earthy; I'm glad that the malt is subdued, it allows the hops to shine.

T - Damn, this tastes great. First off, it is dry as hell with perhaps a pilsner-esque maltiness. And it has great hoppiness without being palette-shreddingly bitter. The flavor is further comprised of grassy, dank, earthy hop with some pristine mineral flavor to boot.

M - DIPA. Nicer than usual, actually.

D - An uncommonly delicious DIPA, and at any rate it is certainly an interesting take on the style

09-25-2010 13:35:14 | More by ktrillionaire
OakedCanuck

Washington

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Knifestyles for this trade. 12oz can poured into Midnight Sun tulip. From notes.

A - Light copper visual. Whitish head dissipated quickly but left a little lacing.

S - Wet citrus hops, floral, and some intriguing sugar-type malt in the back.

T - Grapefruit, apricot, orange zest, pine and a touch of sweet caramel malt. Delicious.

M - medium carbonation, a bit dry and sticky but nothing to detract from the experience.

D - I liked this beer but may be a bit heavy for more than one or two. I really liked this one and will seek it out again.

09-21-2010 16:41:35 | More by OakedCanuck
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz can, purchased from Grand Vin Wine & Spirits, online.

The can says this is intensely hopped..I could smell the hoppy goodness as soon as I opened it.

It pours a very hazy yellow orange with a 2 finger head of foam. It is a little shy when it comes to the lacing.

Lots of bitter hops in the smell; I'm getting grapefruit and pine mostly but a bit of tropical fruit is there as well. Taking deep whiffs to pull out any malt presence and it works. A very light sweetness peeks through.

The taste doesn't surprise me. Everything in the smell is well represented and in the same ratios. Deliciously bitter throughout but very intense in the finish and long in the after taste. I'd say the taste falls short of the smell by just a smidgeon.

Nice smooth mouthfeel with the medium body and light medium carbonation.

Drinkability is quite good though, to me, it comes across as stronger than the abv says. Not much of a complaint, really.

09-17-2010 22:19:11 | More by Bitterbill
stakem

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

The new 12oz red can instead of the previous releases plain silver pint can with applied (yet more colorful) sticker.

My friend Dan who lives now a mere couple of blocks from the brewery was kind enough to pick up a couple 4 packs and bring this hoppy canned love back to the mother state of PA so I could share with friends. At best guess, this brew has not been in the can for more than 3 weeks.

Poured into a SA sensory glass this brew appears a golden color that is very hazed. Initially 2 fingers of yellowish stained foam appear to compose the head and receed fairly fast leaving patches of legwork all over the glass.

The aroma of this brew is awesome. Big credit here goes to the freshness. After having just recently harvested hops in my yard this brew smells like the next best thing. Tons of grapefruit like sweetness coming off the nose mixed with a blend of other hop goodness that is grassy, herbal and all around spicey.

The taste of this brew is a little more balanced than what I remember from the last batch. While the major flavor bursting component here is the hops, there is a slight toasted grainy sweetness to back this brew. The hops taste of citrus like grapefruit rind, piney character, herbs and spices. Very bold amount of bitterness in this brew, if you are in need a hop fix, this is your medicine.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a moderate level of carbonation. A lasting amount of hop character clings to the inside of the mouth and just sticks with an oily and resinous power of retension that the head could have took a lesson from. For pushing almost 9% alcohol, I could get myself in trouble with a couple of these, they go down easy.

09-15-2010 00:40:44 | More by stakem
Kegatron

12 oz can into a tulip glass. Thanks go to Stakem for hooking me up with a 4-pack of these. You da' man Adam!

Pours a hazy golden apricot, with 1 ½ fingers of rich eggshell head. Swirling fires this up to a robust ½ finger, throwing up a sticky cascade of creamy lacing that hangs in a heavy latticework on the sides of the glass. Good look here. The aroma is floral and spicy, with some sweet tropical fruit character that is cut through with more bitter notes of grapefruit and earthy citrus peel. Grainy sweetness is fairly pronounced in the back of nose, while a touch of stiff heat gives this some thickness in the nostrils.

The taste is VERY spicy and bitter to a lesser extent, with grapefruit and citrus rind being tempered by the sweetness of citric fruit and toasted malts, which has a bit of grainy presence to it. The hops strike back in the finish, lashing the back end with an aggressive mix of spice and bitter that parch the palate with dry lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium-fuller bodied, with a larger feeling mouth filling creaminess to the carbonation. There is some sharpness up front of the sip but then gets much more smooth and creamy as you swallow. Some alcohol beef in the body adds some definite warmth to the finish of this but overall, I'd say that the alcohol is handled pretty well here.

Definitely a good DIPA here but the sharp spiciness of the hops just kept it from reaching that next level for me. I actually quickly followed this up with another can, just to make sure that I hadn't missed something but found the same result. Definitely one to try if you come across a can but this wasn't the end-all be-all of East Coast IPAs, as some might have you believe.

09-13-2010 15:07:16 | More by Kegatron
Slatetank

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%

I was pleased that Stakem decided to share this, yet again a beautiful hoppy canned beer -thanks!

A - The 12oz pours a nice medium golden/light amber shade w/ mild haze and lots of lace clinging following the taste as a sheet of rings

S - The smell is good with mild citrus and slight caramel odor w/ a noticeable orange rind smell and not at all noticeable alcohol for the depth of ale this contains

M - The feel is bitter but more juicy and citrus tangy w/ resins and light astringency w/ medium carbonation

T - This has a great flavor -so much fruit from both yeast and hops with a strong citrus focus and smooth hop bitterness effect on the palate is great, there is a slight malt undercurrent but mostly this is american hop taste bud pleasure

D -A sweet/bitter balance -lots of hoppy goodness-a definite must-try in my book, Thanks Adam!

09-13-2010 14:06:12 | More by Slatetank
Billolick

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

12 ounce can purchase in a 4 pack, in Cheshire, CT. No canning date/freshness info offered.

Pours clouded medium dull apricot, under a tiny bubble, minor off white head, that leaves just few small bits of lace on the glass.

Nose is full of hop related whiffs, resin, citrus and general hoppy goodness.

Taste is where things get interesting. I'm happy to say this is a full fledged hop bomb...resins, graininess, grapefruit citrus notes. Densely flavorful, wonderfully hoppy especially for an East coast, no Connecticut DIPA.

Well done, gonna buy more next time I travel to the Nutmeg state

09-13-2010 00:28:29 | More by Billolick
Gandhi-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.