Gandhi-Bot Double IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPAGandhi-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 04-02-2010)
4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz can. Pours a hazy orange color with a thin head. Aroma is sweet. Hops, citrus, grapefruit and a fair amount of pine. Taste is somewhat sweet with a bitter aftertaste. More pine with some citrus. The 8.8% ABV is hidden well. I miss drinking an Imperial IPA out of the Tall Boy can but, oh well. Finally it pays to live on the East Coast.

PicoPapa, Aug 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Hazy pinkish yellow color resembling a lighter shade of grapefruit juice. Good head retention with sticky lacing.

The smell is very aromatic and pungent grapefruit and tropical fruits. Very fresh.

My favorite hop profile... grapefruit, tropical fruit (mango?,) and a dash of pine. The only detractor is that it has a heavy alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel is fresh, clean, and sticky-icky. Again, there is a slight burn at the end from the alcohol.

A damn good DIPA I wish I had more access to.

Vonerichs, Nov 04, 2010

jwat, Nov 26, 2012

oldvines, Apr 30, 2013

robwestcott, Jan 28, 2014
4.16/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to cosmicevan for sending a few cans of this my way. Served in a Funkwerks snifter.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a frothy white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thick ring that leaves some sticky and soapy looking lace.

S: Grapefruit with some mild honey dew melon. A little orange with sweet bread malts. Nice citrus notes with a great malt backbone.

T: A little more maltier on the palate, but there's a nice bitterness that counteracts this. Grapefruit, some citrus rind, candied lemon and some mild resinous bitterness.

M: Medium to light bodied with a slightly bitter finish. Medium carbonation level with a slightly dry texture.

O: Really nice. Easy drinking, nice balance of flavors. Coming in a can is a plus for sure as well.

Treebs, May 10, 2013

fossage78, Monday at 05:36 PM
4.38/5  rDev 0%

L: Pours a nice clear orange yellow with a tall and thick off-white colored head that laces the glass a lot as it fades slowly down the glass.
S: Smells of a ridiculous amount of earthy, piney, citrusy, and floral hops with a hint of a nice backbone of sweet roasted malts.
T: The hops are nowhere near as overpowering as they were in the nose, but it has a very well mixed toasted/roasted malt base underneath a very nice mix of earthy, floral, piney, and citrusy hops.
M: Very crisp, fresh, perfect amount of carbonation, medium bodied.
D: Very drinkable, I wish I was allowed to purchase more than one can!

erosier, Apr 26, 2010

sliverX, Jun 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

MastaShonuf, Aug 03, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pour - light amber or dark golden in color. Thick resiny, sticky foamy head on top that sticks inside the glass like honey on a bear's nose. Looks delicious and the smell that comes from that pour is heavenly.

Aroma - oh my goodness. The hop gods have truly blessed the contents of this can. Big, sticky green gobs of hop power has been given to this beer. Piney to the max with plenty of grapefruit sour/sweetness as well as some of tropical fruit aromas. I can't help but think West Coast but hell this stuff is from right here in New England! Every ounce of aromatic hop potential has been captured and displayed beautifully, I like to think the can had something to do with that!

Taste - one big mouthful and I can tell we've got a winner on our hands. This is hopped up like the best of them but so well balanced and almost deceivingly smooth. Tons of hop flower power, tastes almost wet hopped a bit, with some extreme citrus and pine as well as a bit of that danky resiny flavor that comes from all those hop oils. Its a little dry in the finish but that goes well with the crispness that this puts on your tongue. I feel assaulted in a good way.

Overall - a paltry 16 oz. ain't enough! This is pure hop pleasure in a can and I am glad to have a few more to enjoy soon enough. Great work NEBC, I am truly impressed!

Would I buy more of it? - if only I could. I bought my allotted 4 cans and am not sure I'll have the chance to get more before the rest are all gone.

indiapaleale, Apr 23, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Review adapted from notes taken 3/3/11

Appearance: Pours a nice dark golden orange with a touch of amber - starts off with a small, fluffy white head, but the head fades really quickly - some sticky lacing left behind

Smell: The aroma starts bursting out of the can from the second it is opened, begging to be poured into something that can handle it - simply amazing range of hoppy aromas - tropical, herbal, resinous, citrus - pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit - some caramel malts in the background for some hint of balance - one of the best smelling beers I've encountered

Taste: Epic times - as the aroma would suggest, this tastes very West Coast - tropical fruits, citrus - tons of pineapple, grapefruit, also with pine - extremely bitter, a kind of bitterness that coats the mouth - despite the intense hops, the malts are light but substantial enough to hold things together - toasty biscuits, lightly sweet, extremely clean - overall, remarkably not over-the-top

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not too heavy and not too light - sticky to a pleasant degree, carbonation works really well - smooth and a little dry

Overall: This Bot makes me want to go robosexual

I have had this a number of times since first acquiring some in March, and I love it more every time. It's second only to Pliny the Elder in my book, and I think that says a lot. It's everything I want in a DIPA. I'm surprised people aren't more rabid about this beer... I hope hype doesn't grow!

Update, 10/1/11: Thanks to Heady Topper, now Gandhi-Bot is third, not second...

angrybabboon, Jul 13, 2011

civicm87, Apr 17, 2013

Tiernan, Jan 14, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Received this brew from BeerTruth not long ago in a trade. Gotta love these 16oz cans that keep everything nice and fresh. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Appearance- Pours a nice orange yellowish with a perfect one finger creamy dirty white head. A beautiful cap and collar is maintained along with loads of thick rich lacing.
Smell- Not the most potent nose ever, especially for a Double IPA. A bit of dank grass and earthy pine hiding in there somewhere though. A light tinge of crystal malt pops through and honestly that's about it.
Taste- Very earthy brew with an extremely dank pine start and plenty of grass and dandelion stem. Really bitter and sort of herbally this is honestly a hop profile I haven't come upon in quite some time. Maybe a touch of grapefruit but not in a citrusy way with a lightly malty backbone. Not quite caramelly, not quite sweet there's just enough of something back there for the hops to rest upon. The finish is earthy and nicely bitter.
Mouthfeel- Nice fully body with a oily sort of feel and medium carbonation that can get slightly prickly.
Drinkability- Overall not bad. I wish the nose was a bit more potent but the different hop profile is a nice change of pace. I'm sure this was a bit better fresh but still tasty. Thanks much Adam!

younger35, May 19, 2010

Zimm, Sep 28, 2013

GonzoHomebrewer, Jul 29, 2013

DelicateDelirium, Apr 02, 2012

Phillyz, Feb 12, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Generous extra courtesy of jpmclaug. Thank you, Jason.

12 oz can into my Unibroue tulip. Pours a mega cloudy orange with a steady quarter inch inch that fizzes and pops at the center. When held to the fading daylight, evidence of yellow hues emerge. Legs go on forever and cling to the glass like a Chilean miner to his sanity. Too soon?

Massive tropical fruits on the nose along with unsalted crackers on the initial pass. A secondary swoop reveals something quite medicinal. It smells like a melding of cherry and menthol cough drops. Since the initial smell is quite enticing and the follow up is, um....less so, I'll split the difference.

Soapy pine, citrus, grass, and bitter with a mild though firm cracker backing. Firm cracker backing....sounds like the aspirations of a local politician in his bid for governor. But, I digress. Stupid barrage of campaign commercials! There's a mash of hops here that I wish profiled more of the tropical fruits and less of the soapy bitter grass. By no means unpleasant, but a bit of letdown after the initial olfactory salvo from the pop of the can. Seems somewhat haphazardly thrown together.

Medium bodied, bubbly and well carbonated, pops on the palate. Goes down quickly from the slick feel, but I'm not sure I'd feel compelled to work my way through another can at this time. No freshness date makes me wonder whether I got the true experience of this beer or not. The results are a mixed bag.

BarrytheBear, Oct 14, 2010
Gandhi-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.