Gandhi-Bot Double IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPAGandhi-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 04-02-2010)
GRG1313

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Pours a hazy gold with orange tint and a short and disappearing white head.

From a can so unlikely was affected by light and the can is also a current release but still smells skunky and like "sweat." Unpleasant "sweaty" character with an underlying fruity tone. The "skunk" blows off with a number of swirls and some time, or, one simply gets used to it because the flavors are somewhat inviting and appealing. Not the best nose I smelled.

Mouthfeel is rich, creamy and appealing. Elegant "little bubble" champagne carbonation and mouthfeel is inviting and of quality.

Flavors start a bit strange but really grow on you. Sweet malt/fruit front palate of oranges and some stone fruit character that quickly goes to a very bitter pine end palate and long pine/pine resin finish. Flavors are complex and layered, although not bright. This is very much a "bitter pine" character brew.

Finish is the most distinctive part of this brew, being very bitter pine and long and bold.

10-21-2010 06:54:10 | More by GRG1313
drabmuh

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Can shared by Mike, thanks. Beer is yellow and really hazy, almost a wit level of haziness. Head is decent in thickness and made up of medium and small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. I love the logo too, extra points. Head leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very citrusy, no malt at all, smells really nice.

Beer is light in body for a DIPA, about a medium body overall, really drinkable with a chewy resiny hoppiness to the whole thing. Its bright in the front without being overly sweet and its bitter in the back but not very dry. I really enjoyed this beer overall. I think its a great DIPA. Drinkability high.

10-20-2010 15:52:55 | More by drabmuh
Bendurgin

Maine

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into my pint glass. Sweet. The body is hazy golden color with lots of lively looking carbonation and about a centimeter of creamy white head that leaves sticky lace. The aroma is full of citrus, namely pineapples and orange and a bitter hop aroma to finish. Notes of caramel linger in the behind the citrus and hop aroma. Not quite as juicy as I had pictured this one to be. Actually, relatively dry. I feel misled by the aroma. However, this still taste pretty good. Bitter pine hops bombard my pallet and finish nicely with a decent malt profile and citrus finish. Again, just not what I expected. The mouthfeel is heavy and a bit dry, finishes bitter and slightly syrupy. And as with other recent double IPA experiences, this one hides the alcohol very well. This is one that I truly love, drinkable to no end for me. I'll snag this anytime I see it.

10-20-2010 04:34:20 | More by Bendurgin
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a tulip. Nice golden hazy color. Monster head on this one as well and leaves behind very sticky lacing. Nice.

Smells like hops. I get a lot of orange zest in the nose and just the slightest hint of cracker; like a saltine. Really nice.

The taste is incredibly dry and bitter. The finish mimics the aroma with the orange zest character.

Very light body makes this dangerously drinkable. Easily one of my favorite double IPA's

10-20-2010 03:16:42 | More by andrewinski1
awalk1227

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Consumed 10/18/10 received in a trade from zoolzoo, thanks Kevin, been waiting to try this!

EDITED 3/2/11 READ BELOW

A: Poured into Sam Adams perfect pint. Cloudy bright yellow-orange with a thick, creamy, bright white head. It looks happy!

S: I'm such a sucker for a fresh DIPA. Big bitter blast of grapefruit and pine resin up front. Grassy undertones with the noticeable nuttiness of some malt. Touch of tropical fruit at the very end, pleasant.

T: Tastes like a DIPA should. Huge hops and resin up front nice creaminess from a malt backbone. Opens up a little bit as it grows closer to room temperature, letting the tropical notes peek out a bit more. Slight alcohol on the finish, but it's a good warmth.

F: Medium body, just syrupy enough for a DIPA, doesn't let you forget it's a big beer. Prickle on the tongue, clean, bitter finish.

D: Definitely an assault on the palate, but what 8.8% DIPA isn't? I could definitely drink one of these with a spicy meal and one afterwards.

Edit: Original ratings- 4/4.5/4/4/4

Updated 3/2/11:
I underrated this beer. I've had several DIPAs in the last few months, and have decided this is a tough style to produce with exceptional results. Gandhi Bot is exceptional. The nose is one you can't stop smelling, the hop bite is perfect, and the mix of pine, grapefruit, and tropical fruits is as good as any. I'd make this beer a regular part of my fridge every release if I lived in New England.

This is an awesome offering from New England Brewing, something a trade friend showed me, and I'm glad. I'm a big advocate of cans, especially when local quality beer rests inside them like this. I still want some IST Kevin! You heard me!

10-19-2010 14:18:45 | More by awalk1227
klshanks

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can received in a package from kbanks13. Didn't know about this beer before hand, but if I did, it probably would have been a want.

Appearance- a hazy light orange color. Pretty much what you would expect from a good heffeweizen or witbier. Very appealing but not what I would really expect from an IPA.

Smell- Awesome. Tons of hops. Pine, grass, and a little sweetness underneath all that bitterness.

Taste- Very good. Bold grassy/pine/woody taste upfront that dominates most of the tasting experience with a hint of citrus on the back end.

Mouthfeel- A medium carbonated IPA. Not too thick or thin.

Drinkability- I would definitely come back to this one. It's good for when you are in the mood for good beer, but don't want to think too much about what you are drinking or want to have something super rare. Very similar Half Acres Daisy Cutter. I would probably chose Daisy Cutter over this, but all in all they fill a similar need.

10-19-2010 06:42:55 | More by klshanks
cpetrone84

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Big thanks to Masterhomebrewer for this extra!

A-pours a cloudy dark golden amber with a creamy off white head. looks almost like a hefe only darker.

S-the nose has a hint ot toasty nut and grain, piney resign with a blast of citrus behind.

T-the taste has some syrupy maltiness up front with ample resign and pine, citrus is strong, hints of grapefruit and orange peel with a very assertive bitterness in the finish.

M-slightly rough and grainy feel on a relatively full chewy body with strong carbonation and crisp prickly finish.

D-decent IPA with big flavor and very assertive bitterness. hop forward and slightly messy flavors but still very enjoyable.

10-19-2010 00:01:37 | More by cpetrone84
Smokee

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Deep, bready, great effervescent mouth feel. Maybe too drinkable for its own good Some piney and floral notes.

I really was expecting this to not live up to the hype and I was flat out WRONG. Very, very good. Really enjoyable, with some complexities that happen after the second can.

10-17-2010 02:03:28 | More by Smokee
Khazadum

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Thanks Allie! This is one of the many beers I received in the Secret Halloween package. I'm really excited to try a DIPA in a can! Poured into my favorite snifter.

A-Wow. The head that developed on this thing was outrageous. Huge two fingers from gentle pouring technique. Crisp pure-white with a creamy appearance that is disrupted with random large bubble explosions. Not much resistance to disintegration thus light lacing.

Nice orange body that with light becomes a yellowhead. Tons of carbonation displayed with bubbles coming from all over the place.

S- Tons of grapefruit notes on the opening. Folds backward yielding to the hops that are outlined with citrus. Tiny bit of orange on the ending molecules and a shocker. The surprise is the amount of pineapple I detect on the finale, fantastic.

T- Unfortunately the aromas don't transfer forward comfortably from the nose. The opening is malty, with some caramels, but that fades fast. The middle and finish are dominated with pine. It is a monster of bitterness that rivals some of the most proud hop bombs.

I want some citrus or grapefruit, but I guess you can't have what you want. Even the finish is pure bitterness

M- Creamy and full-bodied. Good amount of carbonation yields a non-distracting canvase for the flavors. Not many, but they linger around the lips and tongue for an adequate amount of time.

D- I'd enjoy this one again. Its a solid example of the DIPA style of beer, but its nothing fantastic. It could be better in many ways. If you love bitter pine flavor and something to sniff at, sure. If you have come to expect more from your DIPA, move along.

10-17-2010 01:28:39 | More by Khazadum
yeahnatenelson

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Big thanks to BigBalls for the extra. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours a golden orange hue, hazy bordering on murky, with one finger of creamy eggnog head. Dynamite lacing.

Smell -- Grapefruit, tangerine, and tropical fruit are very evident, some floral/grassy aroma and juicy sweetness. I'm intrigued.

Taste -- Lots of fruity hop flavor up front: grapefruit, tangerine, apricot, and tropical fruit upon the sip, along with some mild pineapple juice sweetness. Biscuity malt is also in the mix, as well as a sturdy floor of hop bitterness: full, but not bracing. Finish is resin and candied orange zest.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability -- Pretty damn good. I'd be all over this if it were near me. Citrus bomb for sure. Great malting, nice hop bitterness levels, immensely drinkable. Good stuff.

10-14-2010 23:49:20 | More by yeahnatenelson
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from the can into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Got this in an awesome trade with portia99. Thanks!

A - Hazy yellow at the bottom makes its way to a darker hazy yellow at the top. Small white head rests on top.

S - Big tropical fruit hop notes in this one. A bit of citrus as well. A nice smelling DIPA but not mind blowing.

T - Nice grapefruity hop bite at first but it is kind of subdued. A bit of a lingering grapefruit flavor in the end as well. Not picking up on the tropical flavors I noticed in the nose. Really feels like it is missing some juicy hop character.

M - Medium bodied with an average amount of carbonation

D - I dunno. I enjoyed the smell more than the flavor. Could use some more lively hop character. I might try this again on draft but don't see myself seeking out any more cans of this.

10-14-2010 02:24:59 | More by jpmclaug
Sean9689

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Can...extra in a trade but don't remember from who.

A - Pours a hazy golden color, white whisps and large bubbles, thick ring around the edge of the glass with large bubbles.

S - Dank hops, orange peel, some wheat/hay notes.

T - Bitter hops, floral notes, wheat/hay.

M - Light, crisp, refreshing, semi-dry finish.

D - An easy to drink DIPA. Would def go back to this if I was local to this one. Nice.

10-14-2010 02:16:28 | More by Sean9689
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Generous extra courtesy of jpmclaug. Thank you, Jason.

12 oz can into my Unibroue tulip. Pours a mega cloudy orange with a steady quarter inch inch that fizzes and pops at the center. When held to the fading daylight, evidence of yellow hues emerge. Legs go on forever and cling to the glass like a Chilean miner to his sanity. Too soon?

Massive tropical fruits on the nose along with unsalted crackers on the initial pass. A secondary swoop reveals something quite medicinal. It smells like a melding of cherry and menthol cough drops. Since the initial smell is quite enticing and the follow up is, um....less so, I'll split the difference.

Soapy pine, citrus, grass, and bitter with a mild though firm cracker backing. Firm cracker backing....sounds like the aspirations of a local politician in his bid for governor. But, I digress. Stupid barrage of campaign commercials! There's a mash of hops here that I wish profiled more of the tropical fruits and less of the soapy bitter grass. By no means unpleasant, but a bit of letdown after the initial olfactory salvo from the pop of the can. Seems somewhat haphazardly thrown together.

Medium bodied, bubbly and well carbonated, pops on the palate. Goes down quickly from the slick feel, but I'm not sure I'd feel compelled to work my way through another can at this time. No freshness date makes me wonder whether I got the true experience of this beer or not. The results are a mixed bag.

10-13-2010 23:28:07 | More by BarrytheBear
far333

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Hazed amber orange colored with a sizzling white head that settles down to a quarter inch high firm cap. Particulate matter floats around.

Intense aroma of tangerine and orange peel.

Flavor is immediately hoppy, good balance of bitterness and flavor, the full range of citrus with tangerine and grapefruit and giant Florida oranges, plus some pineapple and pine sap. Firm bitterness and just the right balance of honey malt. Alcohol strength doesn't detract.

Full and creamy mouthfeel, very satisfying. a bit of warming in the cheeks. Scarily drinkable. Tremendous DIPA from little old CT. Eassiide...

10-13-2010 20:24:17 | More by far333
Casey10

Maine

4.6/5  rDev +5%

On tap at the Alehouse in Amesbury Ma.

I really, really liked this. While I am a fan of cans have yet to try that version hopefully can get my hands on some to compar.

A - Golden yellow pours hazy white head.

S - Grapruit, floral, pungent really fresh and nice.

T - I loved this was very much in line with a west coast style lots of citrus and hoppy.

M - Again a nice hoppy mouthfeel sticks with you makes your lips smack just from the feel of the citrus.

D - Like I said I liked this found it VERY drinkable and look forward to trying the canned version.

NEBC - please make this a regular in your line up !!

10-11-2010 23:32:16 | More by Casey10
jrallen34

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz can into a tulip...Dark gold pout with lots of head that has incredible retention but no lacing at all. the beer itself is not appealing, not drinkable looking...The aroma is light for a dipa but really nice. The almost perfect amount of pine hops and alcohol, not at all strong but gives off what you are looking for in a dipa. Not a ton going on complexity wise, but wets my palate...The taste is a touch down, the hops aren't as smooth comes off a little more harsh. again its a little bit of a one noter. Wish more was going on...The feel is pretty nice very sticky and this is an easy drinker.

A lighter and smooth dipa, but nothing that wows you. Worth trying if your around it.

10-08-2010 02:14:05 | More by jrallen34
Hibernator

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA
12 oz can
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

A special thanks to my friend Larry for holding on to one of these for me. I first had this beer up in Portsmouth, NH with some friends that picked up Gandhi-Bot in CT.

Pours a burnt orange with a hazy quality. A touch of mustard yellow highlights the bottom. Awesome trails of sticky lacings all over the glassware. Spectacular trails of sticky lace cling to the sides. Nice head on top. A good-looking beer.

Wow, this has a serious nose with monster citrus, pine and apple whiffs. Can't wait to start sippin' this IPA.

This is way I like this style of IPA. Major orange, biscuit malt and lime citrus fruit flavors, spicy black pepper and sweet pine syrup meld together for a complex beer.

Very sweet and the kinda hop profile that takes your breath away. Extremely bitter, tart and hoppy! Well hidden 8% ABV too. Love the hop burps.

This has to be the best beer currently brewed in Connecticut at the present time, right?!

Recommended.

10-07-2010 21:31:00 | More by Hibernator
Bubba83

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Kegatron sent me more awesome beer, somebody needs to stop him as I am finding it difficult to keep up.

Appears a quite cloudy, dark yellow, faded orange. A frothy, eggshell white head crowns the top, about 1/2 inch worth. Retains a small ring, and laces well.

Fuzzy peaches, similar to a Bartles and James... Apricot too. Some nice floral qualities and eventually a bit of spice and earth all make for a nice and complex aroma. I just wish it had a little more oomph.

More peach and apricot at the forefront of the flavor profile. A bit of sting from the alcohol in the mid-range and some heat... A good bit of caramel, and then some rather bracing bitterness that is akin to grapefruit but doesn't quite have that "juicyness" there. Some spice and earth from the yeast wraps things up. I actually think this tastes much different than any other DIPA I've had, and there are some great qualities there, but it just needs to be rounded out a little better and a little more cohesive. Quite a bit of yeast character for a DIPA.

Big fan of the mouthfeel. It has just the right medium chewyness, feels soft, and coats my palate well. The carbonation level is perfect.

Overall this is a nice, interesting DIPA that I had never heard of before. I almost feel like I'm being a little harsh on the taste with my 3.5, as I've warmed up to it a bit, but the intangible harshness makes it a little hard to drink for me, I dunno... I'd recommend trying this beer for sure.

10-07-2010 05:29:01 | More by Bubba83
Jayli

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured in to my Portsmouth tulip

A: This beer pours a hazy, honey color. A rigorous pour yielded a two finger offwhite, frothy, creamy head that retains quite nicely. Thick, sticky lacing coats the glass the whole way through.

S: Nose is nice juicy citrus hops, nice fruity notes, some earthiness and a minor caramel malt flavoring that underlay the fantastic juicy hops.

T: Taste is fantastic. Incredible juicy hops in this beer. Taste starts with an understated light grapefruit citrus presence. Although the flavor is somewhat light, there is a lot of bite at the forefront. The finish has a bit of earthy and piney hops that linger ever so slightly on the tongue. What comes in during the middle and is nicely blended through the middle and finish is a light caramel malt presence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation - surprised at the carbonation in this beer. Crisp mouthfeel at the front and then has an oily finish.

D: Goes down easily, very nice kick, damn good representation of style. I'd been moving away from DIPA's but this is the best DIPA that I've had in a while.

10-07-2010 01:09:57 | More by Jayli
nonstick

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a can.

A: Cloudy orange, nice white head quickly dissipates to sticky lacing to sides of the glass.

S: Big citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, slight orange. Wow, there are some hops used here.

T: The taste for me is a blend of the pineapple, grapefruit, and orange. Then, I get hit with a dry bitterness that makes me salivate for more. Not getting much for malt, I know it's there.

M: Decent body for the mouthfeel, nice tight small bubbles of carbonation. Very nice.

D: I think this is very drinkable, it has flavors I could put up with for an evening. I like this, and hope I can find more in the future.

10-05-2010 22:09:43 | More by nonstick
mdaschaf

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a can into a DFH snifter glass

A:Pours a hazy golden color with a chunky one finger head. Very nice lacing.

S: The hops dominate the nose, also some grapefruit and a little orange zest. Also get a little alcohol, but just barely.

T: Tons of hops on the taste, but not over the top. Has a nice spiciness and for a DIPA is not very bitter. Very nice.

M/D: Very smooth for a DIPA, extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of it!

10-05-2010 03:11:44 | More by mdaschaf
nas5755

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

The beer pours out a hazy orangery gold color with a nice head that hung around for a while with good lacing . The nose was excellent. From the moment I poured grapefruit and tropical notes were apparent, some melon notes were mixed in as well. The taste is full of tropical and citrus notes with a clean delicate tropical piney resin on the finish. The malts balance is perfect. Carbonation levels are good. Overall, this is an excellent beer and now my favorite east-coast DIPA over Smutty Big A(still need to make a trek up north to the Alchemist).

I am not the biggest fan of DIPA's, most of the time they are too malty and syrupy with an overly aggressive punch of hops that one tastes as over done piney resin. This is one of the few DIPA's that I actually enjoy because the malt is not in charge of the beer and the hop's are balanced out throughout the beer in a nice progression that suggests a well thought out plan of hop additions/dry-hopping.

10-04-2010 22:14:22 | More by nas5755
brentk56

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a decent head that leaves a few strands behind

Smell: An overload of floral citrus; pithy and piney, with just a hint of biscuity malt

Taste: With just a hint of biscuity malt (that persists underneath both before and after the swallow) the beer moves quickly into the pith and pine territory, with a grapefruity character that just assaults the tastebuds; after the swallow, the malt is very clean and serves only as a platform for the hops to continue to do their thing

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: This is a DIPA just like I like them - lots of west coast citrus, a well-attenuated malt character, and the alcohol is well-disguised

10-03-2010 01:43:35 | More by brentk56
SuperNova777

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Notes from 09/21/10

A:Pours a cloudy non transparent orange with a nice thick and luscious 2 fingers
worth of head

S:Smells of a nice mixture of really stinky grapefruit, citrus, and tropical hops.
Really inviting and just what a hop lover is looking for.

T:Just as nose detects big hop flavor happening all around. First off it starts smooth then a punch of the hops with a strong grapefruit and citrus flavor and then smoothing out at end with a slight alcohol tingle. Palate is left a little sticky and not to dry.

M:A really solid body, seems to resemble a Double English IPA, with mild carbonation

D:I received this beer in my first trade on BA and I think I made the right choice and appreciate irishct15 for getting back to me to do it. To put it plain and simple this one is a hop lovers dream, super tasty with hops exploding everywhere, easy drink for ABV, and hands down the best beer I have ever had out of a can....so far. Look froward to scoring more of these in the future.

10-01-2010 04:42:44 | More by SuperNova777
number1bum

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Fresh growler from the brewery. Wanted to save and share in a week or two but it tipped over in the car and bumped the door and started spouting foam everywhere, so I didn't want to risk sitting on it and finding it flat. Awesome. Oh well, I'll just have to bear the burden myself.

Pours a completely cloudy light orange color, more golden than amber, with a thick, dense ivory head that keeps well and leaves a mess on the sides of the glass. The extent of the cloudiness is surprising; never seen a DIPA look quite like this.

The smelll just leaps from the glass (the best part about what happened in the car is I got to smell it for awhile on the way home), full of hoppy goodness. It's resiny, sappy, earthy, dank, and super citrusy. Awesome. Malt? Who needs it. This is really an amazing DIPA nose. It's one that deserves to be savored.

Taste is also intensely hoppy and just plain tasty as hell. Like the nose, it's dripping with resiny pine, earthy hop flavor, pithy yet juicy grapefruit. A good amount of bitterness in the finish as well but not overpowering. There's a bit of malt sweetness but just a bit; the hops are the show here, as they should be. It's quite dry in the finish, with the earthy, resiny hops just drying the hell out of it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and extremely dry as mentioned. Has a good creaminess to it but it's not exceptionally smooth for a DIPA; just so damn dry.

Man, this is a good beer. Really glad I got to try this so fresh. Too bad for my chump friends that they missed out; maybe I'll just have to get another one next time I'm passing through New Haven.

10-01-2010 01:15:21 | More by number1bum
Gandhi-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.