Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Gandhi-Bot Double IPAGandhi-Bot Double IPA

Wants: 1,191
New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: woosterbill on 04-02-2010

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

Reviews: 547 | Hads: 2,656
4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have a final due. So I'm drinking a Gandhi-Bot and reviewing it. You know - that totally makes sense.

Anyway I'm a fan. And if I may make the statement. BLEND THIS WITH BLACK TUESDAY 50/50. You will not regret it.

Ok. Now that it's out of the way. This beer pours copper with a decent head and solid lacing. It's hazy, and trends to strawish-ness gold at the base. Weirdly tinged. Smells lovely though. Bitter hops, drying with pine and grass, bit of resin and caramel malts come through with a ripe breadiness.

The taste bites then smooths then dries like a DIPA with a hophead should. Best part about this boozy baby is at 8% and in cans, you can only think WTF was anyone thinking when naming this?

Actually that sentence isn't coherent, but neither is my final paper.

Suffice to say: this medium mouthfeel and easy drinking beer is good.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12-ounce can picked up from xanok. Into a snifter it goes.

Flows from the can a pale shade of dandelion and coalesces to deeper tones of hazy apricot. Atop sits a frothy one-finger head of off-white foam that disappears, quickly, leaving a soapy top layer and sticky mountains of lace.

Smells like a forest of pine trees planted in the middle of a soccer field. Tons of fresh grass, pine needles, dank weed and citrus peel. A backbone of honey-baked crackers and ethanol round out the aroma.

Symmetry in the flavor, though with a bracing bitterness to match. I feel like I fell, face-first and mouth open, into a lawnmower bag. Absolutely tons of grass, with grapefruit peel adding a bit of citrus and pithy bitterness. Very slight solvency and just the right amount of crackery malt. The finish is pretty damn crisp and clean for all the flavor in the front. As it warms, complexity emerges in the flavor and I’m tempted to bump the score up another notch.

Medium body with a good bit of heft. Alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor than in the feel, though I do get some fumes warming the throat and nose. The moderate carbonation avoids being pushy and the bitterness never gets out of hand.

If Gandhi had been a drinker, I’m sure he’d have been cool with this.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can pours a thick, hazy burnt orange with minimal head and almost no lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, grass, pine, and slightly yeasty. I pick up lemons and orange peel, with some hint of spices. Mouthfeel is dry, and heavy. Taste throws at you a really dry mix of everything you smell. This is in my top 5 IPAs. It may be a contender for #1.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Brez07 for sending a 4 pk out to me. Poured a 12oz can into a Stone Specialty 16oz IPA glass. No freshness date on the can.

Pours a beautiful honey color that forms a thick white head. Head doesn't stay around long, but the lacing on the glass is the best I have ever seen. Smells of pine, floral hops, and citrus. Tastes of bitter hops, citrus, grapefruit, and a sweet malt. The mouthful has a perfect texture and the carbonation is very good. Overall this beer ranks as a top tier DIPA. I would put this in the same category as Pliny the Elder, Dreadnaught, etc. I would have no problem drinking a 4 pack of these in a setting and wish it was sold around here. It would become a staple in the fridge!

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to Andrew for providing me with this beer. It was excellent.
In a tulip it was hazy orange in color with a medium off-white head. Impressive lacing.
Sweet malt aroma. Citrus and herbal hops. Peppery in my nose.
Big-time grapefruit taste, also tangerine and apricot. Piney taste entering later. Nice strong malt background, still sweet.
This was a very smooth, easy drinking beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours straw color - off white head.

S: Big hop aroma- citrus, very fragrent, grapefruit-imagine grabbing a handful of hops, rubbing them together in your hands and putting it up to your nose, outstanding!

T: The qualities of the aroma carry over to the taste. Great hop profile, citrus and piney. Finishes well and not overly bitter considering the intense hop flavor.

M: Nicely carbonated and well balanced.

O: One of my favorite beers - New England Brewing makes some of the best brewed beers and can easily compete with the big names in Craft Beer.

4.29/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to hopstoopid120 for this one. Poured from a 16oz. can into Lost Abbey stemware. No freshness date.

A: Standard pour yields a 1.5 finger frothy white head with good retention. Beer is a cloudy peach with an orange tint. Lacing is stringy and spotty with very good cling. Lacing and head are nice but clarity hurts this one a bit.

S: Nose is extremely dank hops. Pine, citrus, and other crushed pulpy, tropical fruits. Grassy with the slightest hint of cane sugar. Appetizing. Robust and muddled for its style, could use a bit of crispness, but the flavors are there.

T: Opens papaya and apricot. In comes an intense grassy, piney hop bitterness mixed with a nice citrus flavor. Middle is more crushed papaya and a subtle cane sugar backbone. End is resiny hop bitterness with tree bark and wet wood. Finish and aftertaste are more of the same with a nice dryness. Incredible balance and really the prototypical east coast iipa.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and substantial (for an iipa) in the mouth and goes down smooth with some bubbles here and there. Finish is dry with a sticky aftertaste that lingers. The low carbonation works surprisingly well here.

O: Although New England Brewing is hyped for its Imperial Stout Trooper beer, I'd have to argue that this is the best offering they make. An east coast style iipa that I would pit against any other around the country. Seek it out, its definitely worth the trouble.

4.59/5  rDev +7%

My buddy stopped in to New England Brew Co on his last vacation and grabbed a 4 pack to bring home and gave me one. Thanks Nate!!!

Poured into a pint glass. Not as much head as most IPA's. Hazy with actual hop particles floating around. Ok lacing.

Aroma is intense. Almost like I stuck my head in a bag of hops. Tons of citrucy hop aromas. Smells awesome.

Taste is good. Nice hop bite but with alot of hop flavor. Slight malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. Good carb.

Overall a great IPA. Would get more if I could. Might have to trade for some more.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to stearns16 for hooking this can up in a trade

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is mostly of grapefruit hops

T - This is a very tasty DIPA follows the nose with lots of grapefruit hops

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

O - I'm really enjoying this beer it tastes very good making it a little too easy to drink for the abv but none the less if I was able to get this on the regular I would worth seeking out to try

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a Hazy Bright Orange color, with nice 2 finger white head

S-Has a nice citrus aroma to it. With nice hoppiness smell with some good floral grassy notes coming though

T- WOW the flavor is Amazing. Hits you right off with hops, then followed by a citrus explosion in your mouth and then finish' with a creamyness.

M-Medium to full bodied. It has a sorta thickness to it that i havent seen in other DIPA's

D-Overall this might be my favorite DIPA to date. Had such complexity and stood out from other DIPA's ive had before. I wish this was local to me. I will trade multiple times a year to get this brew. And it being in a can makes it that much better to take camping or out on the Disc golf course! GIVE this beer a try you wont be dissapointed

4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Beautiful straw color with a white head and good lacing. The downside is that there was a exhorbitant amount of sediment that I tried not to pour into my glass. I really only got about 3/4 of the can poured.

Smell - Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Grapefruits dominate. The malts barely make it through. Smells like a west coast hop bomb.

Taste - Good hoppy flavor to start, but it fades a bit. Not much midrange flavor. The late hop additions shine through, but I feel that it needs some more bittering hops. Maybe it doesn't have the malt backbone for it, because it's barely sweet at all. Overall a great flavor, though.

Mouthfeel - The low malt character is almost that of a single IPA and leaves it feeling a bit thin for the style. The final flavors are a bit watery. Carbonation is good, no fault there.

Overall - Delicious IPA that maybe could use a bit more maltiness. If I had access to this more often, I'd definitely drink it again.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Massive thanks goes out to my boy Jefe73 sending me this one as an extra in a recent trade! Served from can into a Green Man snifter. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a half finger bone white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, sweet alcohol, citrus, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a damn tasty brew. Very well balanced flavor going on here with a great aroma as well. The CAN really delivered on this one! Maybe this is why Woody is on the CAN Quest... Only thing this brew is lacking is appearance, but who cares when it tastes and smells that good (and no, that's not a 'that's what she said' joke)... Get your hands on this one! You will not regret doing so. Thanks again for the chance to try this one Jeff!

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at Mikro with R Moe Nay, Pustevlaho, Andrea, and Jlynn. Looks like the yellow brick road... clear, golden, and carbonated. Smells of grapefruit, citrus, and HOPS! So hoppy and such a fruity sweetness to balance it out. This DIPA fresh is tough to beat. Pliny and Topper are the only beers off hand that I can think of that rival it. I absolutely love the hop profile of this beer. The alcohol is completely hidden and a clean smooth feel would be an understatement. Love having this brewery in my state. The only thing I can think of that distinguishes this beer on tap from the can is the ever so slight freshness of the hops and carbonation is dead on. The score if the same for the can because I can give the taste a 4.7 for the bottle and 4.6 for the can respectively.

3.42/5  rDev -20.3%

from notes

A - decent cloudy yellow body, small head, good lacing

S - fruity sweet hops, no balance from malt

T - quite bitter, very mild malt sweetness.

M - drying, a bit thin, not bad

O (D) - fine, inoffensive, but not great tasting, which is its primary fault

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a hazy orange/yellow/gold with a nice white head. Fades quick. I smell pine, grapefruit, resin and maybe some bready malt. Smells like a good DIPA. Taste is like the nose, piney hops with some citrus and a bready malt back. Bitter, but not obnoxiously so. Pretty balanced. Good carbonation and a nice, medium mouthfeel with some sweetness, but not too much. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer.

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%

Got this in the "tell me a story BIF."
Can into tulip pint.

Nice clear orangey gold color. Two fingers of white head, decent retention, little lace.

Smells of huge hops-- pineapple, piney resin,and citrusy grapefruit. This is very nice. The taste is solid. Some dry bready malts start it off before the hops kill it. Nice grapefruit and citrus with pineapple and little pine. Very dry and tasty. This is a solid beer.

Body is light, airy, and well carbed. The beer leaves a little hint of residue with some oiliness and a good level of lingering bitterness.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. I wasn't sure what to expect fromthis beer... Now I've had it, and decided it will stay on my wants list.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Picked up a 4 pack at my local CT spot. (finally reviewing this)

Appearance is a faint amber with a two finger white head.
Smell on Gaandhi-Bot contains mucho hops, grapefruit, and a good amount of pine as well. It really hits you with a punch. Taste has plenty more of the hops, with a sweetness, some citrus, and more of the pine in its` finish. MF is medium w/ a similar carbonation. Overall, this is a great DIPA. If you have not enjoyed this yet, do so when you have the opportunity.

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Thanks to naloxone for sending this East Coast DIPA goodness my way!

Poured from a 12oz can into Lost Abbey snifter. Next time I'm trying it out of the can to get that experience.

A : Poured slightly hazy with a nice copper hue. Solid two finger creamy white head; very nice splotchy lacing as the head receded.

S: Grassy up front with a nice citrusy hop aroma lingering in my nose on the second sniff. Slight hints of grainy malt in the background.

T: Wow, huge burst of bitter hops...I'm a hophead who loves bitter hops and this one packs a bitter punch! The citrus and pine profile is similar to many of the better DIPAs I've had the privilege to drink. However, a little better malt profile would cut the bitterness just a bit and provide a little more balance. Barely a hint of alcohol comes across.

M: Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Nice dry finish that leaves a slight tingling on the tongue.

D: I think Ghandi Bot is very well done and extremely drinkable...I like the fact that is a relatively low abv DIPA...I could see myself easily putting down a few of these over the course of an evening and it would definitely be in my regular rotation if it was distributed in the great PNW!

3.82/5  rDev -11%

Thanks for the fresh can, ShogoKawada!

Poured from a 12oz can into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Cloudy amber body with a couple cm of even ivory foam. Average lacing and retention.

Potent citrus (oranges and pomelo) and evergreen in the nose - along with a very light caramel note.

Earthy, soapy, pine-forward palate entry with honey-like malt and a moderate burst of bitterness. A slight mint flavor comes out as well along with some menthol driven by the alcohol. Quite dry finish - cutting, and faintly woody with a bit of malt in the aftertaste.

Medium-light bodied (surprised it isn't fuller), with average carbonation.

Odd name and packaging aside, this is a fairly middle-of-the-road Double IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Got a few cans of this from Dnuggs. Great extra!! Poured from 12oz can into Tremens snifter.

A- Pours hazy, but bright golden orange color. Nice one finger white fluffy head.

S- Get a nice little citrus hop aroma up front. Followed by some grapefruit notes that stay with you till the end. Slight bready malt hints mixed in as well.

T- Interesting drink here for a DIPA. At first, pretty thin in flavor. Sweet tasting but more of a regular IPA. Just when you say to yourself what is this, BAM, lots of big hop flavors. Grapefruit hits you right in the middle. Citrusy hop flavor, maybe some piney flavors in there as well. The hops really dominate the middle and end of this drink. Not to bitter, but just enough for a DIPA. Hard to detect but maybe some very subtle caramel malts holding up all this hop flavor. Very smooth drink.

M- Medium body, starts thin. Good amount of carbonation. Smooth with slight bitter taste staying with you.

D- 8.8%?? Glad I saw that before I went planned on drinking all 4 I had. Very easy to drink. Would love some more of this! Big thanks to Doug for hooking me up on this one!

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to ngeunit1 for this can!

Hazy orange with about 3/4 finger of head. No real visible carbonation. Some yeast sitting on the bottom of my tulip.

Sweet malt, and a good amount of grassy/earthy hops. A slight lemon/lime scent makes an appearance too, behind what I can only describe as spicy citrus.

Here goes! A bit sweeter than I was expecting, but a much earthier hop flavor than I've become accustomed to. Kind of a grapefruit texture and very low bitterness. The aftertaste is all grapefruit in fact.

Full and thick, this one definitely sticks to your cheeks, once again similar to grapefruit citrus.

Extremely high. I feel like I could drink this all night, any night. Assuming it's a hops night. I would definitely buy this if I could get it in my area.

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Thank the folks at New England Brewing for unleashing such a "hop-sational" brew.

If you are a hop lover and have not tried this brew, fresh, then you most certainly must.

I can't wait until the warm weather comes, so my thirst may be truly quenched by can after can of this great Imperial/Double IPA.

When poured into a large mouth glass it really gives you an opportunity to take in the nose of this brew which can consist of tangy grapefruit essence, wrapped in a poignant grassy, earthy breeze.

The color just speaks in volumes with its wheat/tangerine glow.

Mouth is thin, but inviting.

As far as drinkability, I can only say be aware of the ABV. Otherwise "I'm a Two-Can Sam" before the intense hops begin to blur and I can't enjoy it for all its hop glory.

Now hop to it, and get some!

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: orangish yellow with a 2 finger white head

smell: citrus, floral, hops

Taste: Caramel malts, hops

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

Drinkability: it's a decent double ipa. Iwould have like it much more if it tasted as well as it smelled.

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%

From a 12oz can to a pint glass. Pours a very hazy golden with minimal head. But has good lacing and carbonation throughout.
Smell is floral and hoppy. Overall a very mild notes for a Double.
Same with the taste-very smooth for this type of brew. Somewhat sour from hops, and a piney undertone. Amazingly smooth for the ABV, and the style!

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Love the design of this can, love double IPAs, love double IPAs in a can. And I dig this part of the can's text: "fully vegetarian." So, are there still tons of beers made using isinglass? Huh. Anyway, thanks to msubulldog25 for this one!

Pours a yellow/gold color that is hazed and even sports a fog of tiny sediment bits -- perhaps bits of hops? There's a slightly orange-ish shade to the color, but it's much less orange-shaded than most other double IPAs. Head is thin and blazing white, leaving little bits of lace on the glass and hanging around a long while, never totally dying.

Aroma epitomizes big American hoppy beers, period. Three varieties of American hops were used, and they're fragrant, flowery, pungent, citrus-y. A vibrant, clean, vivid aroma that pleases this hop lover, even despite an apparent lack of malt.

Whoa. This is just shy of what I'd call "tongue rippingly hoppy." (I save that distinction for a small handful of beers.) But it's close. While there's a ghost of resiny flavor, this wins big thanks to the more welcoming floral/herbal/citrus characteristics, an altogether bright and super-ultra-refreshing sort of hop bomb. That's not to say it's one-sided, as there's just enough malt here to provide a needed dab of succulent sweetness. It carries the hop load well enough. Alcohol is a mild warming nudge, no more or less.

Slick and smooth on the tongue while bringing along considerable carbonation, which accents, highlights and underscores the energetic and playful hop profile. While I generally like my double IPAs a little creamier/thicker, this totally does the trick and performs well in tandem with the taste.

I love this brewery's Sea Hag IPA, and this is on par with that, only hoppier (duh). And like Sea Hag, it drinks way too quickly, which is both a credit to how delicious it is and something to be careful of, considering this approaches the 9% ABV mark. Gandhi would have loved this noise!

Gandhi-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.