Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

G-Bot Double IPA | New England Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

G-Bot Double IPAG-Bot Double IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Gandhi-Bot is an intensely hopped Double India Pale Ale brewed with a blend of three varieties of American hops. This beer is brewed for those of us who need an aromatic and flavorfully hopped beer.

Added by woosterbill on 04-02-2010

Reviews: 573 | Ratings: 2,782
4.16/5  rDev -3%

12 oz can as an extra in a recent trade with amphion1065. Thank you kind sir!

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Poured into my La Fin Du Monde tulip.

My extremely aggressive pour left me with no sign of a head. Just some slight bubbles that fell to nothing. No crown, no film, no signs of a head ever existing. Leaves no lacing on the glass. Pours a very nice looking straw-like orange that has some slight clarity, but more on the cloudy side.

Smell is very nice with a piney body that lets bursts of tropical fruits peak through. Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, papaya, and finished with some citrus notes. Nice subtle spicy hop hues.

Taste follows the smell, just intensified. The tropical fruits are outstanding. I especially notice the mango and slight papaya. Nice creamy mouthfeel leading to the dry hoppy finish. Very nice beer.

I really enjoyed this. I haven't had many east coast IPA's, but this has set the new benchmark. I wish there was some type of head formed from my pour. I am curious if the cross country trip through the heat had something to do with it.. I have another can so maybe I'll crack that tomorrow.

Thanks for the shot at this, Jason!

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Couple of cans of the same freshness shared with Klym, these were courtesy of Njbeernerd in a recent trade with Klym. Thanks a lot! Awesome extras.

Poured into a couple of Stone Nonics.

A: A milky honey body with a fluffy three finger head on a violent hand raising pour. The foam was really strange looking in that there were large bubbles off the head and small bubbles all along the edge of the glass. The lacing came down normally with a high water mark line plus some burned scrambled egg marks allover the glass. Really a very classic beer look, bubble strangeness aside.

S: Pickled pineapple juices with a nice mellowing tea-like hop. The smell comes off slightly floral and herbal, and perhaps even slightly earthy. The pineapple note does a good job of mixing with pine notes to spice up the nose. A really very accessible nose that won't turn any IPA or even non-ipa drinker off. Clean notes that suggest some nice refinement. A bitter hop linger in the nose takes the floral notes deep into the pollens. Quite nice.

T: Floral hop that gives into a mix of pineapple, pine, and mango juices. Not the most juicy notes of fruit I've ever had, but distinctly no dried or fruit skin notes. Touches of honey kiss the tongue. Citrus is there in a mild rind form, but no real zest or prickle. Mostly I'd say the flavor is comprised of a reasonable floral complexity. I don't know my flowers very well so I can't help anyone out in naming specific edible flowers, but there definitely seems to be some variation in the floral notes. Pineapple juice and Honey + pine sap seems to serve as the flavor backbone throughout. A bit of a stronger medicinal hop linger in the finish.

M: I have to say this is probably the diamond in the rough for this beer. This thing drinks so creamy for its flavor profile, I mean how can hops and pine be so fluffy in the mouth? I think I described there being a pollen like character to the nose, well it very much appears back in the mouth. It's not quite powdery, but there's this full-substance like sensation in the mouth that lingers with the hops like a ghost of carbonation since passed. Very solid here, nice feels. Alcohol coats a bit, but only adds to the honey character in the flavor.

O: This thing drinks very nicely, and for its ABV (which I was shocked with, to be frank) at 8.8% This thing is a gem. The high alcohol would keep me from having too much of this bad boy, but I'd have no problem putting away 75% of a four pack. I'm just not sure how I'd feel. Brilliant hop character in this one that adds a compatible pine note to the pineapple. Very solid beer that is a worthy mention in style, just be sure you don't overdose on this monster incognito. Seriously, I can't believe how much bigger this beer is than I thought it was! Absolutely invisible alcohol.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Huge thanks to NJBeerNerd for this most excellent throw-in! Poured into a stone nonic and shared with Cavery.

A: Pours a light gold with avery white two-finger head. The head on this thing is unusual, gobs of it seem to stick to the glass if you tilt it, but you tilt it far enough and it all the lacing drips off save a few erratic spots. Either way, looks good.

S: Really nice, very aromatic piney hop character anchored down by tons of tropical fruits, a tad of citrus, and even a hint of raisin. A very nice balance has been found between sweet and sharp here and I'm liking it.

T: Like someone made a floral and tropical fruit grenade out of a nugget hop cone, hits with a micro hop burn that blooms into a very sweet floral/tropical fruit mix with sharper airs of pine and citrus still in the mouth. Bitterness comes back as it dies down and perhaps even borders on being uncomfortably bitter, but overall the ride is very good.

M: A medium body with a satisfying amount of carbonation. No heat in the mouth, just as there was none in the taste, but a little tingle on the side of the tongue and top of the mouth lingers from the hops. For someone who likes hops, though, it's a pleasant sensation.

O: Probably the best east coast IPA/DIPA I've had yet. High drinkability, great balance and boldness to all of the flavors, and all delivered with great feel and presentation. Really glad I got to try this and I'd definitely try it again.

Served in a snifter at Armsby Abbey.

Beer pours a hazy burnt orange color with a creamy persistent white head. Heavy aroma of citrus - pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit and just enough malt to carry it. Taste is more of the same with the malts being just enough to balance the heavy load of hops. Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Overall, one of my favorite double IPAs that I always try to pick up whenever I "can".

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a Northshire Brewing Battkenkill Ale pint glass.

A - Pours an orange-amber with a fluffy white head

S - Hops, floral nose

T - BIG hop! Very intensely hoppy and bitter, a little floral

M - medium-bodied, light carbonation. Surprisingly clean.

D - medium

This one's for the hopheads.

3.6/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz can courtesy of Davey. Thanks!

A- The beer pours a hazy golden, orange color with a finger of off-white foam. Head recedes leaving decent lacing.

S- Citrus hop aroma. Nothing over the top, but orange and a bit of grapefruit are present. Biscuity malt is in evidence as well.

T- Light floral hoppiness up front with a slight orange flavor gives way to a fairly stout malt backbone before cascading into grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness. The finish is semi-dry with a lingering, mildly bitter aftertaste.

M- The beer is medium bodied with a lower level of carbonation which works fine here. ABV is very well masked.

O- Overall I found Gandhi-Bot to be a pretty enjoyable DIPA. NEBCo does a very nice job producing a beer that splits the difference between what I consider to be an east coast DIPA and a typical west coast hop bomb. Quite drinkable. I could certainly see myself enjoying this one on a regular basis if it was available locally. Glad I had the opportunity.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

A: slightly cloudy and murky dark orange
S: as it has warmed up, citrus, troplical fruits, pine, earthy undertones
T: see smell. Makes the mouth pucker then water as an ipa should. Starting to taste orange and mango. Stuff is delicious!
M: very light bodied with light carbonation that tickles the tongue. Feels like the bubbles are dancing on the tip of your tongue.
O: very enjoyable and if I could easily/readily acquire this double ipa then I definitely would keep this in the fridge at all times. Definitely glad I tried it and want to try it some more!

3.52/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz can shared by Matt.

Dark golden amber color. Nicely balanced, sweet malt and hoppy aroma. Mild citrus. Flavor is malty and a little overly bitter. Medium full, thick body, mildly cloying and dry. A pleasant, perfectly average canned DIPA. It'd be nice to have this in your local market area, but I wouldn't seek it out.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz can poured into a Portsmouth tulip. Pours a golden color amber color with a nice white head that fades rather quickly.

Instant hit of citrus, tropical fruit, as well as some nice grassy earthy notes.

Taste follows the nose, with a nice bitter kick at the end. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and crisp. Medium carbonation and a nice bitter finish.

Delicious double ipa that I wish was available more often! I will definitely hit this up again when it becomes available.

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

Review adapted from notes taken 3/3/11

Appearance: Pours a nice dark golden orange with a touch of amber - starts off with a small, fluffy white head, but the head fades really quickly - some sticky lacing left behind

Smell: The aroma starts bursting out of the can from the second it is opened, begging to be poured into something that can handle it - simply amazing range of hoppy aromas - tropical, herbal, resinous, citrus - pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit - some caramel malts in the background for some hint of balance - one of the best smelling beers I've encountered

Taste: Epic times - as the aroma would suggest, this tastes very West Coast - tropical fruits, citrus - tons of pineapple, grapefruit, also with pine - extremely bitter, a kind of bitterness that coats the mouth - despite the intense hops, the malts are light but substantial enough to hold things together - toasty biscuits, lightly sweet, extremely clean - overall, remarkably not over-the-top

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not too heavy and not too light - sticky to a pleasant degree, carbonation works really well - smooth and a little dry

Overall: This Bot makes me want to go robosexual

I have had this a number of times since first acquiring some in March, and I love it more every time. It's second only to Pliny the Elder in my book, and I think that says a lot. It's everything I want in a DIPA. I'm surprised people aren't more rabid about this beer... I hope hype doesn't grow!

Update, 10/1/11: Thanks to Heady Topper, now Gandhi-Bot is third, not second...

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for the chance to taste this one. He said that there was quite a buzz about this beer, and I see what the fuss is about!

Poured into my DFH snifter- pours a murky light orange color. Pretty much opaque. Really nice head retention, nice sticky lacing all over the glass. Smell- hmm not much here. Some sweet tropical flavors, but this doesn't have that big of a aroma at all. Taste- really nice tart citrus flavors, definite hop presence, but well balanced with a nice malt sweetness. Mouthfeel- the dry finish and tart tropical presence here really makes this easy to drink. Drinkability- this is a really nice DIPA- I like that the ABV is a little lower than normal- seems like this beer is all about balance, which it has achieved. I would def have it again.

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%

Somewhat cloudy orange that once it settled became a fairly clear, deep golden color. No real head to speak of but definate carbonation. Big citrusy, resiny and line aroma. Malty presence with a tongue stripping hop bitterness. Long, lingering sticky, pine like flavor. Decent mouthfeel, there is a residual, somewhat gummy sweetness. A real good double IPA. Personally I like more hop flavor then the bitter blast so too many might be a bit overwhelming. Still a damn fine brew.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

A: Pours grapefruit colored with a finger of white head that sticks around.

S: Floral hops, citrus aromas, pineapple, peach, pear, and piney hops as well.

T: Huge burst of floral and citrusy hops at first, entering into a middle of light fruity flavors, followed by a bitter hop finish with slight accents of most noticeably pineapple.

O: This is one fantastic brew. If I had to say, my top 5 IIPAs are:

DFH 90 minute
Avery Maharaja
Oskar Blues Gubna
NEBC Ghandi Bot
Brew dog Hardcore IPA

Obviously a fantastic brew if it joins my top 5 after one review. Go get you some!

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Double Ghandi Bot – Really murky copper, not all that attractive. Smell is very balanced IPA, good hop, good malt backbone sweet, but not overly so. Whoa hop explosion in my mouth, a little too bitter for my palette, once I got over the hop explosion, the sweetness came out which is really nice, but still a bit too bitter for what I look for in an ipa. Mouth is medium, but VERY bittery aftertaste. nice double/triple ipa…good, not amazing, but good.

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Fresh can, summer 2011. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Gorgeous pour- looks like Heady Topper. Lightish orange color with a green tint, which hints to the density of hops that likely go into this brew.

Suprisingly mild aroma. The hops are muted, and there's some malty sweetness. It's all quite inoffensive.

The taste, however, is a rather measured assault on the taste buds. Potent bitterness front to back. Wonderful dry, grassy, and earthy profile. Little sweetness present from the malt, and the hop profile has very little citrus. It's dry, delicious bitterness from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is obviously dry, but the aftertaste cleans up quickly. Could use just a touch of body, but it's a small criticism.

Nice brew here all-around. The ABV is nearly completely hidden, but adds just a bit of (welcome) harshness to the flavors. It's a little pricey (I paid 13.50 for the four-pack), but it's rare enough to give a whirl once in a while.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Jumped through hoops to find a few of these for a trade.

A- 1 finger head above a slightly hazy orange body. The head has decent retention, nothing absurd but does look good. Not really lacing.

S- Malty backbone compliments the hops nicely. Hops are citrusy, but not overly sweet with lots of pine and grass.

T- Very nice bitterness from front to back with no let up. Citrus takes a backseat from the nose and bitterness is piney and grassy. Not really much sweetness here. Full frontal bitterness assault.

M- light mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. My mouth is left somewhat dry but not too much.

O- This brew is great. I wish it wasnt such a hassle to get

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

recent 2011 canning poured into a Baxter Brewing Co. can glass. 4pk for $12.99.

A- Pours a nice golden hue that sits darker with more orange in the glass. A good foamy head develops before fading to a good filmy cap. Little lacing.

S- Upfront sweet citrus hops with a touch of pine and zest. The malt bill does come through and is bready and caramel. A good smooth aroma.

T- upfront a good dose of sweet caramel and orangey hops. The taste is solid. The malt bill is a good stage for the hops to shine, but also gives some balance. The hops are center stage in this brew. The hops have good depth and have some zest and tang to go with the sweeter orangey taste.

M- Medium bodied brew. The bitterness lingers well, however isn't overpowering on the palate. The caramel malt does become a tad cloying but also lends to the nice drying feel.

O- A really nice DIPA. Worth a try if you like a more mild DIPA. For me, not in the top tier. Very easy and nice to drink.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz can poured on 06.30.11
canned in 2011

A = poured a hazy orange/red color. unexpectedly red - vibrant & bright. pure white head

S = lite hoppy aroma w/ strong citrus notes. smells fantastic

T = piney notes, and tropical fruits dominate the taste here for me. great hop character present. a hint of spice on the finish.

M = Very full. great carbonation and texture.

O = IMO, it live up to the hype. I expected a lot and this brew delivered. It's a great, hoppy, Imperial (red) ale. I can't wait to have another.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Murky sort of orange-amber. Huge fluffy white head with great retention and tons of lacing.

S: Lots of grapefruit, oranges with bitter pine resin and a bit of caramel malt mixed in.

T: Taste follows the nose. Very bitter grapefruit and orange, maybe some tangerine? Pine and a little malt is present. Very hop forward and very strong and bright.

M: Surprisingly heavy. Very bitter tingly mouthfeel. Super drying as well, one of the driest beers I've had.

D: Very good DIPA, just wish it were available more often and more widespread.

3.99/5  rDev -7%

Canned on 6/22, enjoyed on 6/29.

Poured into a good ol' Pint Glass.

A: Nice amber coloration, very hazy. Lasting head. I can tell by the haze and head that this one is gonna have some exceptional mouthfeel due to some protein action.

S: I didn't get much out of the nose on this beer. Subtle hop aroma.

T: Good taste, just like it smelled. Very balanced. Mellow, yet bitter.

M: Here's where the magic happens. Very full bodied. It's a beer of substance!

Overall: Great beer! Incredibly drinkable for a DIPA. Balance and motuhfeel were key for this one, in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One week old, poured into a snifter.

Hazy tangerine orange head that settles to a white film with good lacing. The color is awesome in my opinion.

The nose is a wonderful concoction of pink grapefruit, blood orange, pineapples, something floral, and some pine.  Just a huge citrusy and floral nose, really smells great.

The major player in the taste is pink grapefruit, which leaves behind a hop oil that keeps your palate sweet and bitter at the same time.  I also get orange zest, pineapple, and pine resin.  Aftertaste is grapefruit bitterness that hangs on forever.

Mouthfeel is medium body with decent carbonation.  As I said, it coats the palate with a hop oil, which I welcome.

Overall I really love this brew... It's among the few that I try to keep as a regular in my fridge.  NEBCO needs to make this a year-round offering.  It really stands up to the west coast IPA/DIPAs.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had in late April, served at Fridge Temp.

A- Hazy-orange with a yellow tinge. small head that fades rather quickly.

S- Sweet, citrus hops, bitter red grapfruit, sweet white grapfruit and some tropical fruits mainly pinapple with some mango and orange peel. Little bit of bready malty with slight caramel. Smells FANTASTIC!

T- It tastes a little bit different than it smells. The citrus, grapfruity hops, while still present dont appear to be as strong as in the smell. The piney, grapfruit hops are still definetly prominent and provide a really nice, sharp bitterness..just not as much as I expected. The tropical fruits appear to be abscent as well, that being the pinapple and mango. there is a sweetness to it, like honey, but that tropical feel has disappeared as well as some caramel. the lack of caramel malt is fine with me though because there is nothing that takes away from the bitterness and this is defintely a bitter beer. Not the most bitter, but its up there. The alcohol is hidden very well too.

M- Medium to high carbonation with dry, bitter hops.

O- Really great brew from NEBcO. I'll be sure to pick this up whenever it comes out.

3.82/5  rDev -11%

Blind #5 - 12oz can

A: Standard pull tab status. Decent gaseous exchange upon cracking. Pours out like mama’s chicken broth: turbid and glowing with a bit of a burnt tinge to it. A soapy off-white quilt rests into a collared sheet of the same. Polka-dot laced. (3)

S: Sweet malt up front - cara pils feel to the nose. I can’t explain what it is, but cara pils, honey malt and the like give a different “feel” to the nose - slightly muggy, but in a good way. My nostrils flare and I take in citrus, marshmallows and apricots oh my! Slightest hint of american yeasty beasts. Overall sweet and easy nose. (3.5)

T: Still really sweet this one. My immediate reaction is this is a winter time IPA (as I like super light malt with sharp hops in the summer) - sweet, relatively thick. This lugs quite a bitter jab on my palate. A nearly spicy finish has me thinking either this has rye, or intriguingly hidden ABV.... The fruits remain native to the olfactory experience while my buds take on the battle of sweets and bitters. I’m a bit thrown off by this one due to the malt profile - starting to thing ESB with dry hops. Shit, this is getting scary. (3.5)

M: Medium to heavy to my judgment (penultimate in value). Prickly carbonation is retained through the breadth of time required to take this in. Slick finish and resonating tannic feel. The body on this is quite nice. (4)

O: Blindly speaking, if somebody handed me this and said it was a homebrew, I would think it was a slightly bitter ESB, or an IPA in need of some hop schedule adjustments. Either way, not a bad beer, and in looking at the numbers, I should not give two buckets of my wife’s deuce what the label is - cuz I love what’s inside (in my wife’s case, me). (4)

Guess: an IPA. Not better guesses after that, don’t recognize the malt or hop profile.
Reveal: NEBCO Gandhi-Bot! Man, I wish there was a can date on there. I’ve heard such different things about this beer, I’m surprised there wasn’t more up front. I think if they toned down the bittering hops a hare, and then dry hopped the fuck out of this it would be epic.

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-Hazy Orange/Brown. Off White 1 finger head that leaves substantial lacing and dissipates into a thin film.

Smell-Piney, Floral and Citrus hops. Little malts. Aroma very fragrant and very inviting.

Taste-Upfront a lot of bitter grapefruit, followed by some more sweet fruits with a nice malt finish.

Mouthfeel-Little hot going down, but smooth and lightly creamy. Medium bodied with less carbonation then most IIPAs

Overall-The guys at NEBCO continue to do great things, and I'm glad I finally got to try the Gandhi bot. Phenomonal beer.

on 7/10/11 had it again in a can, and this beer is fucking fantastic. Lots of floates, which I'm not sure is normal.

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

A nice light honey colored liquid. A half finger of off white head lazily floats atop. Citrus and pine are rather evident up front. Malty and slightly bready round it out. I'm kind of semi buckling up for this sip. The first time I had it my tongue went down with a k.o. from it. And... All I feel is bitch slaps from a guy in Uptown. The pine and hop bite are there, but not potent in the least. The backend literally dries your tongue out.

Looks like the rematch has me as victor on the cards. Sadly I liked the super aggressive version and this seemed to fall short to me. Nevertheless this is a solid beer and I would certainly like more.

G-Bot Double IPA from New England Brewing Co.