668 Neighbor Of The Beast - New England Brewing Co.

668 Neighbor Of The Beast668 Neighbor Of The Beast

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: CHADMC3 on 05-29-2010

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Thank you cullumbeer for bringing this one back for me from the brewery!

A: Glowing apricot color, with a massive solid white head that sucked itself to the glass like Spider-Man.

S: Strong Belgian character, with a fresh filtered water undertow. More than a slight bit of hoppy citrus.

T: I found this one very fruity overall, with a bit of a mothball quality that kept the over the top sweetness in check. The aftertaste was absolutely to die for and very candy-like. This was refreshing and made 668 almost a summer beer.

M: Not cloying, not too sweet, and highly drinkable. The carbonation was fine for this style.

O: You know, I think I've now looked over my past few reviews of this style, and I honestly think now that this style is right up my alley. 668 is tasty stuff! (783 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4%

A brief visit to the Cask Republic in New Haven resulted in my first adventure with New England Brewing Co. I ordered a Ghandi Bot off the menu, excited. The keg was dead. I was sad.
Was sad, for then, I re-examined my options and found this creature. I said, "Let's do it! If you know what I mean." The bartender did. The rest, as they say, is history.
The cloudy orange pour arrived into my maw with a bit of pep in its step. Citrusy, a little peppery, fruity phenols, sweet candy but not overly sweet. I could've easily been fooled into thinking this beer was shipped from overseas. An excellent American take on this style and a wonderful runner-up choice for my thirsting mouth. (683 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

In search of a different IPA or "extra hops" in something different I picked up the last cold 4-Can Pack at Waterford CT Package Store on their recommendation. Served in pint beer glass, no taste of "can". Cloudy orange color, head goes away by the end of the drink but coats the glass on the way down. Plenty of citrus and other spices, and a good "bite". The ABV of 9.00% is not something you taste but start to feel after two. Definitely on my "A" list for this Summmer to share with friends and family as "something different". (531 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice

Appearance: orange-yellow in color, cloudy, 1/3 inch head that fades quick, moderate carbonation

Smell: sweet candy and tropical fruit

Taste: pineapple, candied sugar, coriander and other Belgian spices, with noticeable alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a bitter alcohol backbone that mixes well into the finish, medium-high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: A good Belgian Ale with lots of burn. One per sitting. I do like this but think I would enjoy it more with a little less heat. (522 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to hopstoopid120 for this one. Poured from a 16oz. can into a Darkness snifter

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger foamy white head that dissipates quickly into a thin white ring hugging the side of the glass. Beer is a slightly cloudy flourescent peach-orange. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Not heady enough for the style and deducted points for lacing.

S: Nose is citrus, cane sugar, Belgian yeast, and sweet, floral soap. Some clove also. Fruit is prominent in this one, providing a nice covering effect for the spices.

T: Opens spicy Belgian yeast. Citrus, cane sugar, sweet peaches. More robust malt backbone in the middle with some floral notes and clove. End is sweet and a bit soapy with a cane sugar and vanilla oil in the finish. More Belgian spiciness in the aftertaste. Very sweet with only the Belgian yeast serving to make it style appropriate.

M: Light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Lively and crisp in the mouth and goes down bubbly and abrasive. Finish is messy with a filmy, lingering aftertaste. Pretty good.

O: At 9% abv., this beer is highly drinkable. Goes down very easy, crisp, and refreshing. Not too complex as is expected from the style but it serves its purpose and is solid enough to try again. (1,266 characters)

Was stoked to find this on the tap list at Plan B burger in Glastonbury, CT. Served in a nice thick Belgian style chalice. Just some notes I jotted down in my phone.

A - Decent head that faded to lacing that lasted the entire beer. Fairly cloudy and a nice golden hue.

S - Very typical of a Belgian style brew. Bread, yeast, and some light fruit towards the end. Theres also some noticeable alcohol and hops.

T - Very bready and yeasty, with some fruits. Some banana, pineapple and apricots. Black pepper, lemon grass, and herbs/spices as well. Bitter and dry finish. Another high ABV beer, with almost no alcohol flavor. Really refreshing and the carbonation/mouth feel worked well.

O - NEBCO knocked it out of the park with this one. I wish I could find cans in my area, but fresh on tap with a blue cheese burger made for an awesome lunch. (846 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to both woosterbill and HikerCT for cans of this. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden color with a good white head that sticks around for quite a bit before falling and leaving behind a good amount of lacing. The nose carries some light malt along with a good dose of spicing and some mild citrus character. The flavor hits more of the spice notes and has a bit of alcohol. Pretty crisp with a moderate citrus presence. Dry and crisp with a light to medium body and a bit of booze in the finish. Nice take on the style. (531 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured about half of a 16 oz. can into an oversized goblet.

A: Dark golden almost, but not quite amber color. Cloudy. White head develops and recedes quickly leaving behind a web of lacing.

S: Sweet fruits (probably from the candying sugar) some notes of banana with an even slighter amount of clove. Belgian yeasts can also be noted in the nose.

T: Yeasty bread and a bunch of sweet fruits up front (pear/apple). Slight lemon tartness leads to a bitterness on the palate along with light pepper characteristics in the finish. Belgian yeasts intensify as this offering warms up a bit.

M: Light to medium carbonation. Slight dryness in the finish.

D: Overall, this one is a bit of a sipper. Not completely overwhelming, but would not drink more than one or two in a session. Another solid offering from New England Brewing Company. If given the opportunity give it a try. (878 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

From Blind BIF #5.

A. Short lived 3 finger creamy head on yellow orange cloudy body. 3.5

S. Since I just got done with the lawn, the allergies are kicking in. I can hardly smell anything. Maybe a bit of spicy hops. We'll call it a 4.

T&M. There is a very present Belgian yeast spice. Fairly dry finish, and nice and crisp throughout. Probably around 8% and a nice noticeable hop bitterness help there. I am thinking this is a hoppy Belgian Blonde, maybe even a Belgian IPA. If Piraat was an IPA, this certainly could be one. Reminds me a lot of Surly Cynic, only with less chewiness. As it warms and I stop sneezing, I get even more of the hops. This is really nice! 4/4

O. I really like this one, especially after sweating outside all evening. I would buy this often if available and reasonably priced. 4.5 (811 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2.8%

My first encounter with "The Neighbor of The Beast" came at Dark Lord Day, as the can instantly caught my eye - what kind of Metal Head WOULDN'T want a taste of this beer instantly? First taste was great, so I knew I needed more.

That's where beerboy563 came in - hooked me up with a four pack, and it's number three I'm drinking right now. It truly is a beautiful beer, almost orange in color and very cloudy. Nose isn't very big, but it's the mouthfeel that really brings this one home.

Tons of banana, I guess a little clove, and wonderful spices - cardamon, maybe. But really, it's the sweetness I'm enjoying, like pineapple and pears, with a little more pineapple on the finish.

Ordinarily, I'm not impressed with Belgian Pale Ale's made outside of, ahem, Belgium. But this one is top notch. That lingering sweetness without being to overbearing, along with a clean, clean finish really makes this a standout in the style. Could be a go to summer brew if I had it in my area . . .

You can't go wrong here - now sing with me: 'SIX, SIX-EIGHT! THE NEIGH-BOR OF THE BEAST!" (1,079 characters)

A: Pours grapefruit colored with a finger's worth of white head that recedes into a layer of bubbly film.

S: A sweet, tart green apple nose with some hints of lemon zest and the slightest bit of grassy hops

T: Initial hit of grapefruit, green apple, and pilsner that recedes into a bubble gum, earthy, grassy hop aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation

O: The only renditions if this style I've had are La Chouffe, Delirium Tremens, and this one, and I have to say that this one has too much of a pilsner taste to my liking. I've tried to like pilsners on many occasions but I just can't, and the pilsner malts in this one don't help it's case. Still, it's definitely an enjoyable beer, but I probably won't get a 4 pack again. (743 characters)

Poured into a snifter. Nice golden straw color. No real head but a ring. Slight lacing.

Aroma mostly of Belgian yeast and a bit of lemony citrus.

Taste is smooth. Some Belgian yeast and a bit of hop bitterness. Slight maltiness.

Mouthfeel is a bit more viscous than I like. Could use a bit more carb.

Overall a good beer. But nothing special. Probably wouldn't search it out. (379 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

I acquired this can from an in person trade with woosterbill at DLD. Thanks Will! It had been on my Wants list for some time.

It pours a cloudy orangish gold in color with a perfect one and a half finger creamy white head. It looks great in my snifter. It smells of yeasty, pale malt, and has some light spice to it. I'd say it could be mistaken for a saison based on the nose itself. The initial flavors are of sweet pale malts mixed with Belgian yeast and honey. It's sweeter than I anticipated but still pretty good. Like most beers from a can it's perfectly smooth. It's medium bodied and has the right amount of carbonation. Overall this is a very good Belgian Strong Pale. I'm definitely glad I finally got to try it and even more glad that I still have one left. (771 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 16oz can into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a real hazy golden orange yellow with a thin layer of head that settles to very thin layer.

Smell: Belgian yeast, banana, candied sugar, clove, and dough.

Taste: Banana, clove, Belgian yeast, spices and some malty sweetness. Alcohol is hidden really well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: Another good beer from NEBCO. I really dug the name and label before I even tasted it. I have some more coming my way and I'm glad I do. (518 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

beer pours a very cloudy golden orange color with a smallish white head that barely holds. Smells of Belgian yeasts, slight hefe-like with banana and clove. muted as well. taste is similar, like a weak hefe or witbier only drier. Medium-bodied, hides the alcohol well. overall, decent beer, but not typical of the style and somewhat weak in the spices/taste. I think there are better takes on this style out there. (414 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Big thanks to mob2332 for the can.

Poured into Fantome tulip, hazy yellow orange body. The body is just very cloudy, you are not seeing though this beer. Two finger pillowy white head is set atop. The retention is very decent. Thick sheet of lacing blankets the wall of the glass.

Slightly fruity and phenolic up front. Bananas and soft pear aroma stand alongside some bubblegum and subtle clove. Slight grassy hop scent. Sugar cookie and bready malt aromas provide a sturdy base.

Strong fruit flavors up front, much stronger than in the nose. Pineapple, pear and soft banana flavors. The sweet malt flavor comes in just behind. Very pleasant flavor combination up front. The yeast flavors and phenols are present though meld into the flavors which carry from the front of the palate. Light spiciness, slightly grassy. The sweetness upfront really carries through and dominates the palate.

Medium bodied belgian style pale. Carbonation is moderate. The flavor digs into the tongue making for a long but not a heavy finish.

I really like this beer. Belgian style beers (excluding sours) have not been thrilling me for the last couple months but this one is working. Very well crafted beer, great balance. This is one I would pick up semi-regularly if it were available in my area. Glad I was able to try it. (1,311 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

437th review on BA
Can to Tulip
16oz pint can

Thanks to MikeM40 for this one!

App- A light orangy haze with a center of darker orange. Yellow highlights radiating with a two finger head. Some spots of cling but not many.

Smell- A nice wheat base and a paired scent of citrus and a little dampness.

Taste- An interesting blend of sugary malts and the pilsner malts. Much more pilsner malt on the taste than I was hoping. A bit light as well, dont find the 9% at all.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a high carbonation level. A lot of candy pils is what remains.

Drink- Pretty tasty and it was light and crisp at the same time. The blend of malts and sugars was pretty different for the style. Glad I got another to kick back with. (729 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 16oz can into snifter. Appearance is of a hazy dark orange with about 3/4in slowly fading light tan head. Excellent thick lacing. Aroma is of yeast, some pine and light citrus. Mouthfeel is light, with a slightly stining carbonation. Taste is very yeasty, of orange peels, some nuttiness? and more bread/yeast. I am not a fan of belgian style beers, but this is not bad. It is slightly refreshing anyway. (418 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

16oz Tall Boy. Pours a murky burnt orange with a very thin head. Aroma is of yeast, banana, slight citrus and spices. Flavor is bitter spices upfront followed by some yeast and orange peel. Small flavor of hops as well. Almost has an apricot taste to this beer. Definitely has that typical Belgian taste to it. Boozey taste to this one but drinks fairly easily. Overall, I'm not a big Belgian fan but this is a pretty good beer. Worth grabbing again. (450 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

First off the name and image on the can crack me up.

A- Pours a honey color with a pretty thin white head. Head becomes a few bubble that are mainly around the edge of the glass. Not to much lacing left behind just a few spots here and there.

S- Spicy is the first thing that I noticed. Belgian yeast, banana, breadiness and a bit of alcohol. A bit of candy sugar.

T- Belgian candy sugar and yeast. Some fruits come in with banana mainly with also some apple, pear, and grape. Spices come in white pepper, coriander and clove.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and also on the lower end in carbonation.

O- Not too bad of a brew. I'm just not a huge fan of the yeastiness in some of these Beligans, but this ones pretty solid. (733 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

64oz growler poured into a Duvel Tulip.
Growler purchased directly from NEBCO on 4/21/11, consumed Easter Sunday 4/24/11. Split with a cousin.

A-> Pours a wonderful hazy pale golden color with an unfiltered/Belgian look that yielded a beefy 3 finger head at first but other pours obviously yielded smaller heads. Some wonderful clingy lace with good head retention. Fantastic nucleation running up the sides of my tulip. A spectacle for sure.

S-> Smells of Belgian yeast first and foremost. Banana, clove, yeast, some coriander and some faint other spices that are hard to place. Also getting some lemon and citrus zest.

T-> My Gawd, I could weep...This is what I dream about my perfect Belgian brew tasting like. Fantastic Belgian flavors that are on point with the nose with the perfect amount of bitterness and carbonation. Very sweet candied fruitiness but nothing too strong or anything like a malt-forward brew, just light, pleasant candied sugar sweetness that refreshes the palate with each swig. Definitely get some of the caramelized sugar others have mentioned. Really spectacularly complex yet elegantly simple @ the same time...

M-> Ideal. Perfect amount of carbonation that sings in utter harmony with a mild, refreshing bitterness. Can't really say it much better than that...Medium bodied and smooth as eggs...delightful.

O-> Wow. Really impressed by this. First time having this beer and NEBCO knocked it outta the park with this one. There are usually so many varied complaints about American-brewed Belgian-style beers whether it be yeast or hop profile yet this one is guilty in neither avenue. Exceptionally balanced, unbelievably impressive, and all around delightfully tasty and enjoyable. Cheers to your New England Brewing! Keep up the good work....The 275+ mile round-trip excursion is worth it every time.... (1,855 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

16 oz can picked up from Amity Wine and Spirits

Pours a dark gold color, fairly clear but upon closer inspection it reveals a little bit of floaties. One finger egg white head leaves ok lacing.

Smells of sweet candi sugar and some belgian yeast.

Aroma understated this beer, very complex belgian. Starts sweet but not overly bready from the malts, lots of spicy belgian yeast give off notes of clove and pepper. Finishes sweet with a touch of fruit ester, alcohol isn't overpowering by any means but it is a little warm.

Slightly wet mouthfeel, medium bodied.

Very drinkable, but after a 16 oz of 8.8% Belgian I'm not looking to drink much more. A supremely well crafted Belgian by the pro's at NEBCo, cheers! (714 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Missed this release last year but was excited for its return.

Pours a hazy straw and marigold yellow with a white head that leaves strong lacing.

S: Aroma really surprised me. I had been expecting a mellow golden belgian ale, but this reaked of belgian yeast and spices, banana, clove, white pepper and dough.

T: Hit me with a strong dosing of clove / coriander, banana , some sweet belgian candy sugar / cotton candy flavors and a nice caramelized sugar presence.

M: Mild carbonation and very smooth medium body. Very good overall. (538 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very hazy yellow orange color. A half inch of full white head falls slowly to a blanket. Smell is spicy and fruity with a bit of sweetness. Clove, pepper, pineapple. The taste is more complex than the nose. I get the clove but some banana along with the pepper, pineapple nice malt sweetness. This is a tasty brew.

The mouthfeel is nice too. Moderate carbonation which is put together nicely. Small carbonation bubbles make it smooth and elegant. Overall a very nice brew - nice work NEBCO! (499 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5%

I do love pint cans...

Pours a hazy orange/golden color with two inches of white head. Head is bubbly and fluffy, but settles to just a thin, bubbly lace, although it does coat the glass with a decent amount of webbing.

Smell reveals a surprising amount of Belgian yeast character, and I say that because NEBC isn't that big and doesn't do many Belgians, so it's impressive that they've gotten such character out of the strain they're using. It's quite pleasant, with big herbal aromas, some pepper and earthy spice, cloves, some must. There is a decidedly phenolic quality to the nose, with some fruit as well. Add a layer of sweetness and you have a pretty damn complex and very yeasty nose. I like.

Taste has all of the elements that the nose had, although in slightly different quantities and combinations. The musty, phenolic yeast really the way on the nose, and although those flavors are still substantial the lead flavor is a pale and biscuity malt sweetness with a sugary quality to it as well. Pepper and clove do their thing, although the fruit flavor is almost too subtle to notice. It's earthy and musty, and quite clean in the finish.

Mouthfeel is an exceptionally creamy medium-full body with a very slick, smooth feel to it. It's quite clean in the finish even with the nearly full body, and is extremely smooth. Quite nice, and appropriately carbonated too.

This is a pretty damn impressive beer from New England. So many Belgian style beers from American brewers are either overhopped or underwhelming in terms of the yeast character, and this is neither. It's quite drinkable and doesn't feel like 9% at all. Very complex nose, nearly as complex on the palate, and very smooth and tasty. Well done. (1,724 characters)

668 Neighbor Of The Beast from New England Brewing Co.