668 Neighbor Of The Beast - New England Brewing Co.

668 Neighbor Of The Beast668 Neighbor Of The Beast

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CHADMC3 on 05-29-2010)

Rempo, Feb 05, 2012

fubofnic, Feb 04, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cool looking can that I got thanks to Adam!

The pour is cool looking. Half and half of foam and a slightly hazy golden coloured brew. Much lacing ensues.

The nose is dominated by funk with various spices and a hoppy bitterness following up nicely. Pepper gains momentum the more I sniff and the base of yeast and some candi sugar grows as the eer warms up.

First sip in and I think NEBCO has the Belgian Style *nailed*. Candi sugar sweetness is the first thing I notice with the spices not far behind. And not far behind THAT is the tasty use of the hops. Nice bitter notes, tasty sweet note, mix in the spices of pepper and cloves, and earthy malt character, a fairly light hint of Brett...damn good taster. There are a LOT of flavours going on here and they all work very well together.

Medium bodied with a lesser amount of carbonation than other examples of the style I've tried, the mouthfeel is pretty darned smooth.

I'm a big fan of New England Brewing and this, the newest beer I've tried from them, only reaffirms my love for the brewery. Well done!

Bitterbill, Feb 04, 2012

brystmar, Feb 02, 2012

danwho, Feb 01, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz can, poured into my Duvel tulip.

668 NotB pours a crystal clear tangerine, with some goldenrod highlights. The pour is abysmal, there's barely a finger of white foam and it disappears quickly and cleanly. The appearance score would be lower if not for the fact that I didn't have this problem with some of my other 668 cans. The nose is a nice blend of pear heavy fruits and pepper and clove phenols. The two are pretty evenly balanced, though overall the aroma could stand to be a little bit more attention grabbing. The flavor profile is top notch. Some green apples creep in to join the the pears at the open, and the spicy phenols still have plenty of zip. There's also a pleasant warming sensation from a slight alcohol presence. The mouthfeel is good, but stops just a step short of being great. It's unquestionably got a dry body and bubbly level of carbonation, each could stand to be taken even a little bit farther. I really like Neighbor of the Beast, it's one of the American brewed Belgians I've liked the most in recent memory.

axeman9182, Feb 01, 2012

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012

jenray, Jan 19, 2012

heff316, Jan 17, 2012

chrispoint, Jan 16, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer from it’s 12oz can into my Bruery snifter glass. The color is a medium hue of orange. Although I can see through it, it’s still not completely transparent. There is roughly a finger of head which disappears after 30 seconds and leaves very little lacing on my glass.

After giving this a little swirl in my glass for a minute, I decided to take a wiff. It was somewhat what I was expecting from a Belgian style beer. I personally see this beer as having qualities of a Belgian Strong Pale and a Belgian Golden Ale. To me it feels somewhere in between.

All that I know is that even if I was unaware of what style beer this was, the scent of the Belgian yeast would have tipped me off. I smell hops, but can’t distinguish which kind. The alcohol is also apparent, but lingers in the background. There is a slight light grassy smell to this beer that blends itself well between the hops and alcohol.

I let this sit for at least 10 minutes before I tasted it. I really wanted it to breathe. It’s a medley of hops and Belgian yeast dancing around my tongue. It is slightly sweet, but then fades into a piney dryness with some pepper notes. As I breathe out, the alcohol becomes more noticeable. The finish is long and dry – especially in the front of my mouth. However, I still have the distinct taste of Belgian yeast and hops at the sides of the back of my tongue. It stayed there for at least 2 minutes. The hop bitterness isn’t incredibly strong, but just strong enough to let you know it’s waiting there. When cold, it tastes much like a Belgian Pale, but after warming, it takes on taste qualities of a golden ale. After warming, I was able to taste breadier and sweeter notes. The beer became smoother, but still has the alcohol trailing behind.

This beer has an incredible mouth feel for the size it is (9% ABV). I feel lucky that I poured this into a glass. If I didn’t smell the alcohol on it, I probably would have had a much different evening and wouldn’t be writing this to you. It’s a very easy drinking beer, and is the type of beer that could get you in trouble. Drink this in a nice glass so that you can appreciate it.

Overall, I feel that this is a good offering from the New England Brewery. Although this didn’t blow me away completely, it was definitely enough to keep my interested in it. It’s al all around good Belgian style beer which is made in America – something sort of hard to find. At the very least, I could easily say that this is the best Belgian Style beer I’ve drank in a can.

EJLinneman, Jan 14, 2012

robuess, Jan 14, 2012

GuisseppeFranco, Jan 08, 2012

Nice hazy light bronze color with a few bubbles. Some white foamy head and lacing. Very strong rye scent.

Strong alcohol taste to it. Some banana taste to it. Some wheatyness. Yeast. It's quite sweet. This is a solid Belgian IPA, and I'm not usually in love with these. Mild almost cedarish taste to it.

Amalak, Jan 08, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured with a nice frothy head that reduced to fine lace. The color is a foggy apricot.

S: The yeast aroma is quite potent, but this one is pretty fruity as well. The nose has pineapple, cantaloupe, and apple, but is also bready.

T: Some classic flavors of this style are present such as pepper and clove like spice from the alcohol. There is some bitterness that is herbal maybe parsley and a sweetness from the candi sugar that just peeps through.

M: It is creamy and smooth - low carbonation, medium to full body, and has some prolonged aftertaste.

O: This is a great strong ale that I would definitely try again. (Thanks CliffBrake for the surprise!)

KMcG, Jan 05, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from can into tulip.
Pours a cloudy golden orangey/yellow straw color.
Thick small bubbled white foam with nice heavy lacing.
Smells very malty...slight belgian yeast and orange aroma. I hate to say it, but smells almost like a budweiser mixed with a belgian beer...my hopes immediately went south.
The taste redeemed itself quick.
While its deff malty, you do taste the belgian yeasts and hops. Slight citrus and straw notes. The alcohol is present, a bit noticeable, but nicely compliments the flavor. Overall, I really like this brew. Well worth the money paid for the 4-pack and would buy again. However, the main reason I even went out to New Haven was for Gandhi Bot, and I wouldnt make a special trip for this brew...but I would deff pick up again while buying GBot.

DrinkSlurm, Jan 02, 2012

OBIrish24, Dec 22, 2011

newenglandontap, Dec 21, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

alamode, Dec 14, 2011
668 Neighbor Of The Beast from New England Brewing Co.