668 Neighbor Of The Beast - New England Brewing Co.

668 Neighbor Of The Beast
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CHADMC3 on 05-29-2010)
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

New England Brewing company's offering 668 is a high alcohol Belgian Pale Ale in a tall boy can. I guess a strong and light beer is what's needed if your neighbor is Satan (as they joke about on the labeling).

It's brewed with pilsner malts and Candi sugar, Erican and German hops, and what tastes like an American ale yeast. Not a bad combination, and due to the malts and hops, this brew feels oddly similar on the tongue and in the taste to Bruery's Humilus lager, though it is decidedly less hoppy. The Candi sugar gives It a Belgian vibe and covers the 9% alcohol well. You just don't taste it.

It looks like golden straw with an unfiltered body and fluffy lace above the body, and although it's quality, it's not exactly up my alley in terms of style. Still though, it's thick enough in the mouth that it can end a night. So I'm enjoying it after my first real class of the semester, and before I bottle my first homebrew.

It's hitting the spot perfectly. Thanks go out to Chris who hooked this one up.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Robtobfest for this extra! Woohoo, I'm review #100 for this entry!

16oz can with a stuck-on label. Pretty funny art. No date, though.

Pours a hazy golden color with thin off-white head. Nose is like a caricature of "Belgian Golden" what with some wheat, some citrus, some spice (coriander). Palate is a little spicy and a little prickly with alcohol warming. Citrus and wheat and hay and white pepper. Really spot on and lovely. A beautiful caricature of itself. Solid.

**Low Overall score due to lack of dating.**

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Aroma has a good mix of sweet, fruity esters and tart citrus, along with a note of clove and a definite yeast presence as well. Pretty complex, and inviting. What I like about Belgian styles.

Pours bright golden and hazy in the glass with a nice sized head that unfortunately disapates rather quickly.

Quite sweet and thick right upfront with lots of fruity esters. A note of more citric fruit is also noticed there as well. Very small clove presence. Through to the finish, there's a yeastiness that comes through along with quite a strong booziness. There's also a noticeable bitterness for style to finish the beer off somewhat dry with some sweet esters remaining.

The hotness of the booze here does detract from the enjoyment of the beer. Fairly average for style, perhaps not even average, due to the lack of spiciness and the booze.

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Acquired from SamuelJackson45 via LOKO for locals BIF so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to a pint glass.

A: This beer pours a hazy orange color with a one finger of bone white, sudsy head. Head recedes nicely leaving big, sticky sheets of lacing.

S: Nose is clove, belgian spicing, yeast and a hint of grapefruit.

T: Taste starts with clove and yeast - big yeast flavoring. THen becomes some what of a lemon, grapefruit zest with pepper notes and more clove. Interesting grassy, hay notes in the aftertaste.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation. Oily in the forefront with a very sticky finish.

O: Goes down easily, tasty, not too filling, well hidden click, nice representation of style. This is a very tasty and easy drinking beer - especially for a 9%.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Enjoyed on 8/11/11.

Into an oversize wine glass this pours a hazy glowing dirty yellow gold under a well retained creamy head with a brilliant display of carbon bubbles swimming to the surface. Aroma is clearly highlighted by Belgian yeast and pungent fruity ester perhaps most akin to earthy orange rind. Juicy bittering fruit is king here, filtered through the dominant backbone of Belgian yeast character present. Sharp echoing ending of bready pungent lemon and tangerine citrus. The overall exotic blend of fruit really does grow on my palate through a few sips and leaves me eager for the next sip. Love the can humor here...that poor bastard lives next to the beast...

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Have been cleaning out the beer fridge this is an extra from a trade. Thanks to who ever gave it to me

A - nice golden color with white head and decent lacing

S - Sweet smell

T - Very nice fruity note with tang of bitterness

M - smooth and rich

O - nice can of beer

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a nice hazy orange color which is practically glowing in the glass.  Two finger thick foamy white head which hangs around for a while and leaves great lacing.

I get strong citrus notes, mostly oranges and tangerines.  Plenty of Belgian yeast.  Some floral hops, too.

Taste follows the nose here.  First thing that hits you are the oranges, maybe some lemon zest as well.  The middle, and predominant, flavor is the Belgian  yeast.  It finishes with a bitterness of lemon zest and some spice.  As it warms I mostly get lemons instead of oranges.

Fullbodied, but somewhat low on carbonation.  More carbonation would be nice.

A very nice, citrusy, Belgian style ale.  Worth seeking out.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a murky orange with a decent amount of pure white head. Smells a bit boozy with some yeasty aromas and a almost minty touch. Lots of banana aromas. Tastes banana heavy eith yeastiness. A typical belgian flavour profile but nothing special. Thick and low carbontion. Overall nothing special at all

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

16oz can into a tulip glass

Latest release at fridge temp

A- Pours a hazy bright yellow with a thin 1 finger white head that leaves little retention but nice legs. A really nice looking beer overall and perfect for summer.

S- Bread and doughy notes with hints of banana and fruit from the yeast. Definitely some hops present in there as well. Alcohol also comes through quite a bit.

T- Bitter earth and grass like hops up front clash hard with the Belgian yeast characters. The fruit, banana, bubblegum, flavors that come through don't mix well with the overall hop flavor and the bread like qualities get lost as well. Almost as though they brewed Ghandi Bot with Belgian yeast.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a brutal bitter finish that drys the mouth right out.

Overall I am normally a NEBCO fan and an even bigger hop head but something about this beer on my palate does not taste right. Maybe it's to fresh and needs time to let the hops fade but right now its not what I was hoping for and nothing like what I tasted at Extreme Beer Fest.

SkÅL!

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

A - pours a hazy orange with a very thin lacing of head.

S - sweet, fruity and yeasty, doughy

T - Starts with a a nice belgian style flavors malt and yeast and finished with a strong hops flavor. I taste some complexity at the beginning but it is quickly washed away by the bitterness, so I can't quite put my finger on the flavors.

M - medium bodied, with a crisp feeling due to the carbonation and bitterness.

O - overall a decent beer, but not one of my favorites.

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra in a trade thanks to Knifestyles!

Poured at a moderately cold temperature into my Founder's snifter.

A: Pours a very nice orange. 2 finger, white foamy head that recedes to leave intermediate lacing.

S: Citrusy hopes with a slight sour twang.

T: Immediate acidic fruitiness followed up by a slight hoppiness.

M: Light and refreshing. Slightly more than medium carbonation.

O: Good beer for a nice warm day. Would not turn down if I was presented the chance to drink this again. The name and label art are great!

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out with a nice orange body, the head was foamy and white. The head settles and leave a tiny amount of lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer has a nice yeasty fruit aroma mixed with a subtle amount of spices. The taste had some citrus flavors and some other light soft fruit flavors. There is a slight hoppiness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and lighter bodied for good drinkablity. Overall, I loved the name of this beer and that's why I bought it. I would drink this one again to see if my thoughts have changed at all. Pretty good brew though.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

16 oz. can courtesy of Jason during one of our many solid trades. Ridiculous looking, and therefore much appreciated, graphics and name on this beer. Oh the stories we could tell if we were, indeed, neighbors of the Cloven Master of the Underworld. Can you imagine the parties?

Into a tulip, Neighbor pours yellow - orange with a short lived head that remains only as a light white ring. Streams of bubbles rise in multiple columns. Glass repels any lethargic attempt at cling.

Smells of yeast laden apple juice with a hint at tinned peaches

Spicy yeast leads to some chewy malty sourdough, apple and pears, and clove. Yeast and juice mingle at the finish with a touch of heat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated: crisp and dish soapy with a snappy bite at the finish.

Overall, this beer carries its abv quite well, but I don’t see myself aspiring to drink more of this. Good for what it is, but not something I would seek out again.

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Thank you cullumbeer for bringing this one back for me from the brewery!

A: Glowing apricot color, with a massive solid white head that sucked itself to the glass like Spider-Man.

S: Strong Belgian character, with a fresh filtered water undertow. More than a slight bit of hoppy citrus.

T: I found this one very fruity overall, with a bit of a mothball quality that kept the over the top sweetness in check. The aftertaste was absolutely to die for and very candy-like. This was refreshing and made 668 almost a summer beer.

M: Not cloying, not too sweet, and highly drinkable. The carbonation was fine for this style.

O: You know, I think I've now looked over my past few reviews of this style, and I honestly think now that this style is right up my alley. 668 is tasty stuff!

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

A brief visit to the Cask Republic in New Haven resulted in my first adventure with New England Brewing Co. I ordered a Ghandi Bot off the menu, excited. The keg was dead. I was sad.
Was sad, for then, I re-examined my options and found this creature. I said, "Let's do it! If you know what I mean." The bartender did. The rest, as they say, is history.
The cloudy orange pour arrived into my maw with a bit of pep in its step. Citrusy, a little peppery, fruity phenols, sweet candy but not overly sweet. I could've easily been fooled into thinking this beer was shipped from overseas. An excellent American take on this style and a wonderful runner-up choice for my thirsting mouth.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

In search of a different IPA or "extra hops" in something different I picked up the last cold 4-Can Pack at Waterford CT Package Store on their recommendation. Served in pint beer glass, no taste of "can". Cloudy orange color, head goes away by the end of the drink but coats the glass on the way down. Plenty of citrus and other spices, and a good "bite". The ABV of 9.00% is not something you taste but start to feel after two. Definitely on my "A" list for this Summmer to share with friends and family as "something different".

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a Chimay chalice

Appearance: orange-yellow in color, cloudy, 1/3 inch head that fades quick, moderate carbonation

Smell: sweet candy and tropical fruit

Taste: pineapple, candied sugar, coriander and other Belgian spices, with noticeable alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a bitter alcohol backbone that mixes well into the finish, medium-high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: A good Belgian Ale with lots of burn. One per sitting. I do like this but think I would enjoy it more with a little less heat.

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Thanks to hopstoopid120 for this one. Poured from a 16oz. can into a Darkness snifter

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger foamy white head that dissipates quickly into a thin white ring hugging the side of the glass. Beer is a slightly cloudy flourescent peach-orange. Lacing is stringy and spotty with little stick. Not heady enough for the style and deducted points for lacing.

S: Nose is citrus, cane sugar, Belgian yeast, and sweet, floral soap. Some clove also. Fruit is prominent in this one, providing a nice covering effect for the spices.

T: Opens spicy Belgian yeast. Citrus, cane sugar, sweet peaches. More robust malt backbone in the middle with some floral notes and clove. End is sweet and a bit soapy with a cane sugar and vanilla oil in the finish. More Belgian spiciness in the aftertaste. Very sweet with only the Belgian yeast serving to make it style appropriate.

M: Light to medium bodied and well carbonated. Lively and crisp in the mouth and goes down bubbly and abrasive. Finish is messy with a filmy, lingering aftertaste. Pretty good.

O: At 9% abv., this beer is highly drinkable. Goes down very easy, crisp, and refreshing. Not too complex as is expected from the style but it serves its purpose and is solid enough to try again.

Was stoked to find this on the tap list at Plan B burger in Glastonbury, CT. Served in a nice thick Belgian style chalice. Just some notes I jotted down in my phone.

A - Decent head that faded to lacing that lasted the entire beer. Fairly cloudy and a nice golden hue.

S - Very typical of a Belgian style brew. Bread, yeast, and some light fruit towards the end. Theres also some noticeable alcohol and hops.

T - Very bready and yeasty, with some fruits. Some banana, pineapple and apricots. Black pepper, lemon grass, and herbs/spices as well. Bitter and dry finish. Another high ABV beer, with almost no alcohol flavor. Really refreshing and the carbonation/mouth feel worked well.

O - NEBCO knocked it out of the park with this one. I wish I could find cans in my area, but fresh on tap with a blue cheese burger made for an awesome lunch.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to both woosterbill and HikerCT for cans of this. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden color with a good white head that sticks around for quite a bit before falling and leaving behind a good amount of lacing. The nose carries some light malt along with a good dose of spicing and some mild citrus character. The flavor hits more of the spice notes and has a bit of alcohol. Pretty crisp with a moderate citrus presence. Dry and crisp with a light to medium body and a bit of booze in the finish. Nice take on the style.

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured about half of a 16 oz. can into an oversized goblet.

A: Dark golden almost, but not quite amber color. Cloudy. White head develops and recedes quickly leaving behind a web of lacing.

S: Sweet fruits (probably from the candying sugar) some notes of banana with an even slighter amount of clove. Belgian yeasts can also be noted in the nose.

T: Yeasty bread and a bunch of sweet fruits up front (pear/apple). Slight lemon tartness leads to a bitterness on the palate along with light pepper characteristics in the finish. Belgian yeasts intensify as this offering warms up a bit.

M: Light to medium carbonation. Slight dryness in the finish.

D: Overall, this one is a bit of a sipper. Not completely overwhelming, but would not drink more than one or two in a session. Another solid offering from New England Brewing Company. If given the opportunity give it a try.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

From Blind BIF #5.

A. Short lived 3 finger creamy head on yellow orange cloudy body. 3.5

S. Since I just got done with the lawn, the allergies are kicking in. I can hardly smell anything. Maybe a bit of spicy hops. We'll call it a 4.

T&M. There is a very present Belgian yeast spice. Fairly dry finish, and nice and crisp throughout. Probably around 8% and a nice noticeable hop bitterness help there. I am thinking this is a hoppy Belgian Blonde, maybe even a Belgian IPA. If Piraat was an IPA, this certainly could be one. Reminds me a lot of Surly Cynic, only with less chewiness. As it warms and I stop sneezing, I get even more of the hops. This is really nice! 4/4

O. I really like this one, especially after sweating outside all evening. I would buy this often if available and reasonably priced. 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

My first encounter with "The Neighbor of The Beast" came at Dark Lord Day, as the can instantly caught my eye - what kind of Metal Head WOULDN'T want a taste of this beer instantly? First taste was great, so I knew I needed more.

That's where beerboy563 came in - hooked me up with a four pack, and it's number three I'm drinking right now. It truly is a beautiful beer, almost orange in color and very cloudy. Nose isn't very big, but it's the mouthfeel that really brings this one home.

Tons of banana, I guess a little clove, and wonderful spices - cardamon, maybe. But really, it's the sweetness I'm enjoying, like pineapple and pears, with a little more pineapple on the finish.

Ordinarily, I'm not impressed with Belgian Pale Ale's made outside of, ahem, Belgium. But this one is top notch. That lingering sweetness without being to overbearing, along with a clean, clean finish really makes this a standout in the style. Could be a go to summer brew if I had it in my area . . .

You can't go wrong here - now sing with me: 'SIX, SIX-EIGHT! THE NEIGH-BOR OF THE BEAST!"

A: Pours grapefruit colored with a finger's worth of white head that recedes into a layer of bubbly film.

S: A sweet, tart green apple nose with some hints of lemon zest and the slightest bit of grassy hops

T: Initial hit of grapefruit, green apple, and pilsner that recedes into a bubble gum, earthy, grassy hop aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation

O: The only renditions if this style I've had are La Chouffe, Delirium Tremens, and this one, and I have to say that this one has too much of a pilsner taste to my liking. I've tried to like pilsners on many occasions but I just can't, and the pilsner malts in this one don't help it's case. Still, it's definitely an enjoyable beer, but I probably won't get a 4 pack again.

Poured into a snifter. Nice golden straw color. No real head but a ring. Slight lacing.

Aroma mostly of Belgian yeast and a bit of lemony citrus.

Taste is smooth. Some Belgian yeast and a bit of hop bitterness. Slight maltiness.

Mouthfeel is a bit more viscous than I like. Could use a bit more carb.

Overall a good beer. But nothing special. Probably wouldn't search it out.

668 Neighbor Of The Beast from New England Brewing Co.