Zapata Bot - New England Brewing Co.

Zapata BotZapata Bot

good

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

(Beer added by: Jdiddy on 11-26-2010)
Reviews by juhl31:
juhl31

4.33/5  rDev +17%

-light golden color with a good looking medium head with good retention. quite foggy and a good stack of yeast at the bottom of the bottle

-very new smell profile. good hops, the tequila shows up in the form of agave. some citrus in the background too

-good hops character up front and then a solid oak flavor and some "tequila" throughout although it is not very strong, but thats probably a good thing. there is some bitterness in the end tha comes from both the hops and alcohol thats new taste.

-good enough. solid carbness for an IPA, with some lingering warmness

-i had a good time drinking this beer. it was a new experience for me, but it was nice. the whole time i just had cactus in the back of my head. for some reason the mix of hops and agave made me think cactus. thanks nevins!

12-23-2010 08:04:24 | More by juhl31
ehammond1

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for opening this, FosterJM!

(Aged for 1 year)

Hazy golden orange with a moderately sized white head that leaves spots of stick down the glass.

A strange aroma of cactus/tequila, mild citrus character, and sweet, freshly baked bread. I've never been a fan of tequila-barrel aged beers, and this one certainly doesn't make me "see the light."

The flavor is just as strange as the aroma, with the semi-sweet cactus flavor dominating the citrus hop and biscuity malt presence. Strange, and I suppose drinkable, but this style doesn't seem to be aided by any sort of barrel treatment.

Thin to medium bodied with ample carbonation.

No more tequila-barrel aged beers, please.

02-08-2012 18:09:14 | More by ehammond1
acurtis

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

01-20-2013 14:14:41 | More by acurtis
SpeedwayJim

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Just got this one yesterday from the brewery. Poured from a 500ml (#239/713) bottle into a Blue Point snifter. Fresh as can be per recommendation of the brewer.

A: Pours a 1 finger frothy white head with some giant bubbles and moderate retention. Beer is semi-cloudy faded grapefruit. Lacing is frothy and web-like with decent legs and retention.

S: Nose is certainly unique. Fruit is pineapple and citrus. A sprinkle of cane sugar sweetness and a touch of piney hops in the back. Overtones of chili peppers and sweet alcohol that I'm guessing are the tequila barrels peaking out. Appetizing and quite aromatic.

T: This beer's a bit hard to understand off the bat. Opens sharp booze, chili, lime, and spice. Piney and citrus hop bitterness in the back migrates to the forefront as the booze slowly fades. Still a bitter chili pepper bite in the back. More lime towards the end. Finish is a spicy hop bitterness that leaves a piney, slightly astringent bitter aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Lively and aggresive in the mouth but smooth and oily going down. The perfect combination. Slightly dry at times with a sharp finish and a filmy, sticky aftertaste.

D: Keeping my fingers crossed that this one becomes a once-yearly release. A very unique beer and unlike any other IIPA I've had. The tequila barrels definitely make their presence known here. Hopefully I'll get a chance to have this one fresh, again, in the future. Worth seeking out!!

11-30-2010 20:38:32 | More by SpeedwayJim
Photekut

Tennessee

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

05-19-2013 01:54:04 | More by Photekut
Vonerichs

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Murky brown-orange color with little head. It's actually a pretty pitiful looking beer.

Smell is some citrus hops, and tons of agave nectar, which gives it a sweet smell.

The tequila in this is overwhelming. I was hoping for something that resembled Ghandi-bot, but with a light touch of tequila, but it's more like tequila, with barely a hint of Ghandi-bot. I like tequila, so the taste wasn't bad to me, just not true to style or even slightly resembling an IPA. In fact, I could see how some people will hate this beer. It's hard to give this a score of "average" or below because it's so unique, but I also can't go as far as saying it's "good." The hops barely show at all. It's also boozy. It really tastes like a shot of tequila dropped in an IPA.

Mouthfeel is flat and hot. It has an astringent, dehydrating dry mouthfeel much like a spirit.

I enjoyed it because it is original and would recommend trying it for the experience alone, but I would have no regrets if I never had this again. Kudos to New England for trying this out, but it's not for me.

01-04-2011 03:03:23 | More by Vonerichs
GRG1313

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

07-23-2014 05:03:02 | More by GRG1313
jimmy82063

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Got this on Saturday at Nebco. Bottle 29 out of 713. Have been waiting to try this since the release of Ghandi Bot and after hearing what the guys intended on doing and the tribulations they went through to get a serviceable tequila barrel.

A) Murky orange color, bit of a thin head.

S) Definitely get the hops, again kind of mild no note of tequila in the smell

T) Wow you get the floral hops up front and then a nice peppery taste followed by a bit of a boozy finish (ahh the tequila).

M) Sweet and bitter the hops and the tequila really balance out.

D) Very easy...maybe too much so. Matt had mentioned that this was about 8%.

Definitely a fun beer to try. Very tasty and out of the ordinary. Think I am going to age my other bottle for a bit.

11-28-2010 18:03:10 | More by jimmy82063
akorsak

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

At the Splinter Black release. What's wrong with a little tequila at 6 in the morning? I shared it with Stakem and his friends and this is likely bottle 261 also.

A: The tequila-barrel aged DIPA has a coppery amber hue, on the lighter side of that spectrum. A small head came along with the ale.

S: The smell really grabbed me (as the taste soon did too). Citrusy hops are present but not as strong as one would expect from a DIPA. The kicker is at the mid-point through to the finish. A wooden aroma, boozy with that unique sickly tequila smell comes on with a vengeance. The nose is watered down, only slightly mind you, tequila. It reminded me of some awful run-ins with Mezcal and its evil worm.

T: The taste continues the tequilita presence. I use the diminuitive because the tequila has been significantly watered down by the beer. The DIPA offers grassy, citrus hops, strong enough to carry the ale in their own. They run headlong into the barrel's wooden, tequila flavor and, in addition to diluting it, silently fade into the background. The tequila bite is the lingering flavor.

M: A very novel concept, using tequila barrels. The flavor that is left behind is sweet and sharp, a less-hazardous dose of the spirit. This beer is a boundary pusher.

D: I'm not certain that I could handle an entire bottle. Best left to moderation, the tequila is an unusual element that works well. The beer is better than my score suggests.

12-16-2010 21:14:05 | More by akorsak
hoppymcgee

01-12-2012 02:03:06 | More by hoppymcgee
berkey

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

500ml bottle marked 26/713. Sampled from a tulip 12/09/10. Not entirely sold on the concept of a Tequila barrel aged IPA but I was excited to get this bottle if only for the name. Thanks again Joe.

Body of this beer is a pale kumquat color. A bright white head rises and promptly settles leaving some decent lace. This bottle was loaded with sediment but a careful pour kept most of it out of the glass.

Aroma consists mostly of the citric and grassy characteristics of the excellent base beer, Gandhi Bot. There's some oak notes hiding in there but at least for now my fears of a intensely tequila spiked beer have been partially assuaged. Now to drink...

Wow, really unique tasting beer. The bitterness is amped up significantly from the base beer but the real story is the strange notes the Tequila barrels added. Wood obviously plays a part but I'm also getting green olives and a light touch of smoke. Toward the end of the glass all I can really taste is the Tequila, they must have used very wet barrels. Can't say I've had anything like it.

Overall an interesting experiment but even as much as I loved chasing my tequila with ale in my early drinking years I'm not exactly clamoring for other brewers to make something similar. Glad I had a chance to try it but put this and the base beer in front of me a dozen times and I'll probably reach for the Gandhi Bot every time.

12-10-2010 21:35:43 | More by berkey
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.65/5  rDev -28.4%

such an odd beer, pours out a medium amber with a smooth and even profile, aroma is odd at the least, tequila is warming with hints of light hops and nice touches of alcohol, but the flavor is all over the place, soo hard to describe the mix of the two, never had the tequila before in a beer and definitely different and maybe just not my cup of tea,

12-04-2011 03:43:47 | More by mikesgroove
twiggamortis420

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%

Review from old notes, drank fresh. 500 mL bottle 41/713 pours a lightly hazed gold color with a minimal white head. Fades fast and does not leave much lace.

Can definitely smell some musty tequila wood aromas along with some bright fruity hops. Damp grainy malt backdrop.

Wow...unique to say the least. Has an aftertaste similar to tequila - a little catch in the back of the throat. I wasnt sure how a hoppy IPA would taste aged in tequila barrels, but shit, it seems to have worked pretty damn well! Mouthfeel is drying from hops and alcohol, sweetness remains low throughout. Malt stays in the back and is lightly grainy. I have to give NEBC an A+ for creativity, and ended up with a pretty tasty beer to boot.

11-13-2013 14:49:30 | More by twiggamortis420
oline73

Maryland

2.48/5  rDev -33%

I had this at a tasting hosted by finewinemike. This one was pulled out at the end of the night just for fun. Thanks to Arenbeer for bringing it.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color with a layer of off white head.

Smell: Tequila with mild malt, some hops and more tequila.

Taste: This beer was a bit old (I guess it has about a year on it). The hops and tequila mixing gave it a bit of a strange flavor. The finish was quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with aggressive carbonation and a finish that is a bit dry.

Overall: The flavor of this one was very weird. I'm glad I got to try it, but I don't think I'd head down this road again.

10-24-2011 01:34:05 | More by oline73
cwguy5

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

sampled 5.13.11. reviewed from notes.

A - hazy yellow/copper color with lots of floaties. not much head, just some off-white swirling. little lacing.

S - agave, light citrus, toast, hops

T - tequila(almost vinous, or white grape), pale malt, hops in background, dry overall

M - light-medium bodied with low carbonation. light bitter aftertaste with some barrel present.

O - unique, good even, but not my thing really. for tequila drinkers and tasting groups mainly.

03-27-2012 13:07:44 | More by cwguy5
DarthKostrizer

2.63/5  rDev -28.9%

Thanks to FosterJM for sharing this one

Look: Murky orange in color with just under a finger head and ok retention

Smell: Tequila with some citrus hops and a touch of oak the nose doesn't really work for me

Taste: The taste of this beer is just wrong. The tequila is a bit overpowering and does not play well with the citrus hops and finishes with some harsh alcohol

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation and a bit dry

Overall: I do not like tequila in my beer and I'm not sure why anyone would do this. Just a bad idea

02-08-2012 02:37:20 | More by DarthKostrizer

South Carolina

05-15-2014 01:29:46 | More by 67couple
Arenbeer

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%

550ML bottle bought at the Brewery poured into a snifter glass. Bottle number 265 of 713

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with practically no head just a nice white rim around the glass that ends up as a cluster of bubbles. Insanely sticky alcohol lacing on the sides. Some of the best I've seen for a DIPA.

S- First breath gave me a nice pineapple and citrus fruitiness with a boat load of insane hops like the normal G-Bot. But after giving it one good swirl around the glass you get this really strong but nicely balanced Tequila and alcohol not the blends so well with the hops and fruit.

T- Really nice smooth caramel malts up front that coat the tongue but once it goes down those brutal bitter earthy hops suck the moisture right out leaving you insanely dry and loaded with hop flavor. On top of the bitter is a nice subtle sweet fruitiness much like the smell. After giving it a nice swirl the Tequila and alcohol come out of its cage and hit you just as strong as the hops! But in a good way!!!

M- Medium bodied with moderate to pretty low carbonation and a nice bitter dry finish for a DIPA.

Overall this is probably one of the best barrel aged brews I've come across. The Tequila and hops mix so perfectly together as though they were made for each other. This is just another reason why NEBCO will forever be one of my favorite brewery's!

SkÅL!

12-07-2010 19:17:02 | More by Arenbeer
GbVDave

Poured from a 500ml bottle into two glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to ineedabeerhere for the hook-up!

Bottle # 48/713

A: Pours a lovely hazy orange color. Loads of suspended sediment sitting underneath a thinnish wafer of off white head. Some random specks of lace left on the glass.

S: Holy aroma! Tropical hops with loads of oak, agave, dried wildflowers, pears, peaches, and spiced apples.

T: See above. Some caramel and toffee. Heather said she tasted a repisado (aged, not a white) tequila. Lots of barrel flavor.

M: Relatively sticky and some sweetness (initially) with a killer spicy dryness that comes on in the middle and hangs around through the long finish.

D: We loved this (Heather is a big tequila fan) but we both could see how this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. It started to wear a little on me by the end of the glass and I think a 12oz bottle would've been (for me) the perfect serving size to share.

12-21-2010 00:53:59 | More by GbVDave
alcstradamus

Washington

2.1/5  rDev -43.2%

Thanks to Jim for sending me this treat which had not been on my radar.

Pours a murky golden copper with two fingers of head and spotty lacing.

The aroma is quite strong with floral hops and a stinging tequila burn. Not much else to say really, very unique.

The flavor is a bit watery with some floral and earthy hops, lots of bready malts, dry oakiness, and some alcohol burn. I can't say that I can pinpoint tequila as the culprit. The flavor is poor here, there is just nothing positive to note.

The body is medium and the finish is full of acetone.

Overall this one is unfortunately a drain pour. I enjoy tequila so my hopes were high, they just weren't met.

12-11-2010 07:04:48 | More by alcstradamus
begforme4484

4.83/5  rDev +30.5%

Bottle # 504/713.

Just stopped in the other day and they still had 3 cases left, so I picked up 2 instead of hitting the 6 limit so other people can have a chance.

I was reading the other reviews and one thing most mention is the lack of carbonation. So with that in mind, I did a really aggressive pour and ended up with about 2 1/2 3 fingers width of really thick and foamy off white head. The big bubbles are having trouble sticking to the glass, but the top of the head, as it recedes slowly, is sticking on the glass very well.

It pours darker than Gandhi-Bot, and looks almost like their Sea Hag IPA. It's a very hazy dark amber with brown in the middle.

The smell, whoa. There's still a fair amount of citrus hops, which G-bot is known for. Pineapple.. lemon.. and very zesty. There's a decent bit of malts there too. But the tequila is what is so striking about the smell. It seems like a signature anejo perfumy smell, but I could be wrong. But without a doubt, there is no mistaking the tequila in this nose, and I LOVE it.

Taste? Gandhi-bot with a wonderful tequila twist! I love hoppy/citrusy IPAs, and I love tequila, this was a match made for people like me :)

Right away I am picking up the sweet and spicy zip of the tequila, and it does taste like tequila. But that fades away into a mellowed out G-bot. Hops are still very prevalent and offer a nice rush of citrus and decent bitterness. Much more malt in this offering, and you can get a hint of some woody/oak tones too. The end of the sip I was hit by a very warming alcohol burn in the throat. I wasn't expecting it, but I'm not complaining either.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and I was lucky to get a bottle that has a good amount of carbonation. It's s dry beer and a bit clingy.

Drinkability is very very good. The flavoring is right on for me, as I love both things represented here. The carbonation is very good, and I would defintely drop the score overall if it were flat.

Bottom line; trade for this beer if you can. For my knowledge it's the first IPA(and I think beer overall) ever aged in tequila barrels. If there are any left at the brewery, go get them.

This stuff is meant to be consumed as fresh as possible.

12-10-2010 01:15:44 | More by begforme4484
Thorpe429

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

Bottle shared by AgentZero at the post-Christmas tasting in Chicago. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

I was really interested in trying this, especially as I really, really enjoy the standard Gandhi Bot. Unfortunately, it's not quite what I hoped it would be. It pours a hazy light tan color without much of any head and a thin collar. The nose brings forward some wood and strong tequila. No hops really here. Don't really know how the decision to use Gandhi Bot as the base really affected anything here. The flavor adds a slight hop presence, but tequila is still what rules here. Mouthfeel is pretty boozy,, but is actually a bit smooth. Drinks okay, but is not particularly good.

01-05-2011 01:50:04 | More by Thorpe429
jlindros

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Very light fizzy head fades instantly over hazy grapefruit pink orange color.

Nose has lots or fresh hops, light citrus grapefruit, light pine hops, some oak and woody ethers and light tequila.

Taste has quite a bit of tequila with some booze taste and oak and woody ethers. Pretty bitter with earthy, grapefruit and citrus, and juicy fruits. The oak and tequila really mellow out the bitterness and hops. Slight sweet flavor dries a bit. A long bitter finish with some light tequila lingering a well as citrus and grapefruit.

Mouth is medium bodied with almost no carbonation.

Drinkabilty is ok for what it is, light boozy taste, and thee hops and bitterness are rounded off well. The only real issue is lack of carbonation but I can feel their pain of carbonating barrel aged beers.

11-28-2010 23:21:24 | More by jlindros
AgentZero

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to Speedway Jim for the trade. Sampled at our post-Christmas tasting in Chicago.

A - Poured a hazy golden/brown color, looked like a slightly richer IPA. Spots on the sides, decent head retention.

S - Well, it definately smells like tequila. Pour agave in there almost, with only a slight bit of hops and citrus. Smells like bad tequila or bad beer, take your pick.

T - Tastes a bit better than it smells thankfully. Citrus hops, some caramel malts, it's not a bad DIPA. Bad finish though, goes back to an alcohol-burn like tequila taste I could have done without.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D - I've had worse beers, but I'd say this is a failed experiment. I like Ghandi-bot quite a bit, this is not an improvement. Kickass bottle though.

01-25-2011 18:48:31 | More by AgentZero
Zapata Bot from New England Brewing Co.