Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Homebrew35 on 01-28-2011)
View: Beers (38) |  Events

JAHMUR

11-15-2011 04:17:18 | More by JAHMUR
woosterbill

Connecticut

On-cask at Prime 16 (where else?) into a couple different glasses. Bulk of review from a snifter.

A: Black body with a rich, creamy 2 fingers of light brown head. Great retention and practically unbelievable lacing - at one point my glass was completely covered with lace, with perfectly spaced stipples facing me, a solid diagonal band showing where my last sip had been, and delicate, unbroken bands covering the far side where the elixir had rested between blissful mouthfulls. Quite possibly the most beautiful beer I've ever seen, and from a cask, too.

S: Sensing greater demand, I started off with a Cherry-Vanilla IST so as not to miss out. My friend next to meet got Coffee to start, and as soon as I smelled his I started practically chugging my CVIST so as to be able to focus my attention on the best-smelling stout in existence. Seriously.

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! 100% deliciously aromatic coffee is simultaneously rich and delicate, bold and fresh, roasty and chocolatey. Incredible. I could smell this for hours.

T: Coffee simply floors me right away, with some dark chocolate, tobacco, and hops bitterness backing it up. So delicious I'm practically crying.

M: Rich, full, supple body replete with soft, fine effervescence. Perfect, and especially remarkable for delivering such fantastic life from a cask.

D: This is my new desert island beer - I don't care that desert islands are hot, I'd still rather drink this than anything else. I feel like I could have destroyed the whole cask by myself if given the opportunity. Absolutely no trace of the 9.2% can be found, and the interplay of sweetness and bitterness is indescribably perfect.

Notes: I'm not sure I've gotten this across yet, but I really really really loved this beer. It took me well over 400 reviews to get to my first perfect 5 (Heady Topper on tap), so I was shocked when it was so quickly followed up by this one. If I could have given this beer a 6 for aroma, though, I totally would have (and so would HopStoopid120). After taking just my first sip of this beer, though, there was never any doubt in my mind that I'd found my second sip of perfection.

I didn't think anything could turn the CVIST into an afterthought for me (it's an awesome beer!), but this totally did. The blend of the two that a few of us got to try was pretty epic as well, and for a second I thought that it might have actually been better than either, but the more I drank of the Coffee IST the more I became set in my belief that it's not just the single best coffee stout I've ever had, it's the best stout of any kind that I've ever had. Just a couple weeks ago I drank a ton of great coffee stouts side-by-side, and this cask was simply in an entirely different league. Thank you to Prime for making this event possible, and thank you to Matt, Rob, and everyone else who helped bring this into being.

Cheers!

12-13-2011 22:34:42 | More by matthewpaul
modernartblues

4.98/5  rDev +6%

On Cask at Prime 16 on 02/21/12

A: deep black, ½” tan coffee head, hints of lacing

N: coffee so intense it drowns out other notes, some chocolate, roasty coffee bliss, almost expresso-like, almost seems to warm like actual coffee

T: like the best cup of coffee you’ve ever had, French press coffee followed by subtle notes of chocolate and roast, coffee, raisins, black licorice, dark fruits, overall more complex than cherry-vanilla IST, coffee compliments the “normal” beer without overpowering, initially overwhelming coffee, but the complexity of IST shines through

M: full and creamy RIS perfection, coats the palate with all the best notes

O: best coffee beer ever, better than FBS or BCBCS imo, a terrific beast of a beer

02-25-2012 00:44:04 | More by modernartblues
Pabs311

4.83/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Pulled from the cask. Deep black body with a generous creamed coffee colored head. this looks delicious.

S- Coffee, coffee and more coffee. if my eyes were closed i would have though i had a mug of folgers in front of me. there are hints of chocolate and roasty notes also but the coffee takes the drivers seat on this. would have liked a little more complexity here.

T- follows the nose. heavy coffee flavor. like drinking a cup of black coffee from starbucks. Great flavor. Also more chocolate aparent in the taste. the finish has some bitterness, i think this may be from the coffee. a little more complex than the nose.

M/D- Great mouthfeel. Thick and creamy just the way a stout should be. low carbonation. The drinkability on this beer is awesome, i craved more. to bad the cask kicked in 40 minutes though. THE best coffe stout i've had to date. Great addition to the lineup from the guys at NEB.

01-28-2011 16:32:23 | More by Pabs311

CTJman

03-04-2014 14:42:42 | More by CTJman
Tomdee74

4.72/5  rDev +0.4%

I'm finally gonna review this as I was lucky enough to get my hands on this. Of course it was good to see all the fellow BAers there but ughh it sucked cuz i only got to have one of these before the cask was gone.... :).. thankfully i was able to get a cherry infused one as well.. and wow god is good cuz i was sick as a dog two days before and two days after but i felt good that nite.. it was like god parted the red sea for me! : )

BTW I loved the reviews and it was good to see Smutty33, Pabs311 and Woosterbill and Hopstoopid and I hope we can get a tasting goin soon..

A - We all looked at the nice head on these things and before you put your nose to the glass you knew things were startin off right..

S - Damn it smelled good! real good! That was such a great feature to this beer. It was tough to get your nose out of the glass once you smelled this... i looked around and saw everybody constantly smelling this while their eyebrows lifted up and they shook their heads yes... you would think it was disgusting if you didn't appreciate good beer. but it was a dramatic scene and i didn't know whether to wolf down a glass and hurry for a second or to try and enjoy it as slow as I could.. thankfully i chose the latter because the cask was gone in minutes.. i think the bar staff at prime 16 lied and just told us that so they could keep it for themelsves (lol.. i'm only joking)...

T - Bigtime coffee.. and it tasted like good coffee. the closest thing i could think of was one time on tap there i got an espresso yeti and it tasted very strong like coffee and i loved it. this was like that. i didn't know what to expect after having so many coffee stouts and being disappointed in so many. my expectations weren't high so this kinda blew me out of the water.. Damn NEBCO is really turning out some fantastic brew.

M - I think i already covered this above.. just a great one i so wish was available regularly.

D - This cask was gone so fast and if it weren't I would've easily had another one or 2. It was tough because cherry vanilla was on and that was great too. i'm happy to have made it to this event and hope to see more in the future!

01-30-2011 18:29:17 | More by Tomdee74
erosier

4.72/5  rDev +0.4%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that leaves some lacing down the glass as the head fades.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, big coffee/espresso aromas dominate. It has a sweetness to it mixed with the coffee and hints of chocolate that make this beer so perfectly smelling it's uncanny.
T: Tastes like the nose which is really fortunate but even better because the coffee flavors are mixed in. Big dark malt flavors mixed with hints of chocolate and caramel but mainly a nice roasted coffee flavor.
M: Very rich, smooth, perfect amount of carbonation, warming, heavy bodied but you expected that.
D: Very drinkable, if this were one of their all-year-round staples it would sell so fast that it would still be just as hard to find.

02-24-2011 11:29:01 | More by erosier
Pete27lax

4.7/5  rDev 0%

Just looked back and found this in my notes from last years tap takeover at Prime 16.

Pours a motor oil black with a thin mocha head. Good retention on the head and lacing down the glass until the last sip.

Smell is good but extremely strong. Coffee is obviously very prominent with chocolate taking the backseat here.

BOOM COFFEE! Love the in your face roasted coffee taste. Really strong roasted notes, not extremely complex but for a coffee forward stout this is perfect!

Mouthfeel is perfect from the cask just like the cherry vanilla version. Creamy and smooth, goes down perfect with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall it's a shame that this is only made once a year but makes it an even bigger treat to look forward to. Very drinkable for a big stout. Loved this beer, would have it every day if I could.

01-04-2013 21:49:25 | More by Pete27lax
Bizoneill

4.5/5  rDev -4.3%

01-13-2014 18:52:15 | More by Bizoneill
raythealeman

4.5/5  rDev -4.3%

01-31-2013 00:35:02 | More by raythealeman
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused from New England Brewing Co.