Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused - New England Brewing Co.

Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Homebrew35 on 01-28-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

On-cask at Prime 16 (where else?) into a couple different glasses. Bulk of review from a snifter.

A: Black body with a rich, creamy 2 fingers of light brown head. Great retention and practically unbelievable lacing - at one point my glass was completely covered with lace, with perfectly spaced stipples facing me, a solid diagonal band showing where my last sip had been, and delicate, unbroken bands covering the far side where the elixir had rested between blissful mouthfulls. Quite possibly the most beautiful beer I've ever seen, and from a cask, too.

S: Sensing greater demand, I started off with a Cherry-Vanilla IST so as not to miss out. My friend next to meet got Coffee to start, and as soon as I smelled his I started practically chugging my CVIST so as to be able to focus my attention on the best-smelling stout in existence. Seriously.

Coffee! Coffee! Coffee! 100% deliciously aromatic coffee is simultaneously rich and delicate, bold and fresh, roasty and chocolatey. Incredible. I could smell this for hours.

T: Coffee simply floors me right away, with some dark chocolate, tobacco, and hops bitterness backing it up. So delicious I'm practically crying.

M: Rich, full, supple body replete with soft, fine effervescence. Perfect, and especially remarkable for delivering such fantastic life from a cask.

D: This is my new desert island beer - I don't care that desert islands are hot, I'd still rather drink this than anything else. I feel like I could have destroyed the whole cask by myself if given the opportunity. Absolutely no trace of the 9.2% can be found, and the interplay of sweetness and bitterness is indescribably perfect.

Notes: I'm not sure I've gotten this across yet, but I really really really loved this beer. It took me well over 400 reviews to get to my first perfect 5 (Heady Topper on tap), so I was shocked when it was so quickly followed up by this one. If I could have given this beer a 6 for aroma, though, I totally would have (and so would HopStoopid120). After taking just my first sip of this beer, though, there was never any doubt in my mind that I'd found my second sip of perfection.

I didn't think anything could turn the CVIST into an afterthought for me (it's an awesome beer!), but this totally did. The blend of the two that a few of us got to try was pretty epic as well, and for a second I thought that it might have actually been better than either, but the more I drank of the Coffee IST the more I became set in my belief that it's not just the single best coffee stout I've ever had, it's the best stout of any kind that I've ever had. Just a couple weeks ago I drank a ton of great coffee stouts side-by-side, and this cask was simply in an entirely different league. Thank you to Prime for making this event possible, and thank you to Matt, Rob, and everyone else who helped bring this into being.

Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On cask at New York Pizza. Pours a dark brownish black color with zero head. No lacing. The aroma is a big whiff of coffee with dark chocolate, roasted malts, and earth. The taste is dark chocolate and coffee followed by some roasted malts. Earth and bitter dark chocolate at the end. Coffee finish. Light and velvety mouthfeel. Moderate alcohol presence. This beer has eluded me for a long time now but I finally got to have it. I probably prefer the regular Stout Trooper but this version is still outstanding. Overall, get it if you have a chance.

4.72/5  rDev +0.6%

L: Pours a deep black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that leaves some lacing down the glass as the head fades.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, big coffee/espresso aromas dominate. It has a sweetness to it mixed with the coffee and hints of chocolate that make this beer so perfectly smelling it's uncanny.
T: Tastes like the nose which is really fortunate but even better because the coffee flavors are mixed in. Big dark malt flavors mixed with hints of chocolate and caramel but mainly a nice roasted coffee flavor.
M: Very rich, smooth, perfect amount of carbonation, warming, heavy bodied but you expected that.
D: Very drinkable, if this were one of their all-year-round staples it would sell so fast that it would still be just as hard to find.

4.7/5  rDev +0.2%

Just looked back and found this in my notes from last years tap takeover at Prime 16.

Pours a motor oil black with a thin mocha head. Good retention on the head and lacing down the glass until the last sip.

Smell is good but extremely strong. Coffee is obviously very prominent with chocolate taking the backseat here.

BOOM COFFEE! Love the in your face roasted coffee taste. Really strong roasted notes, not extremely complex but for a coffee forward stout this is perfect!

Mouthfeel is perfect from the cask just like the cherry vanilla version. Creamy and smooth, goes down perfect with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall it's a shame that this is only made once a year but makes it an even bigger treat to look forward to. Very drinkable for a big stout. Loved this beer, would have it every day if I could.

4.98/5  rDev +6.2%

On Cask at Prime 16 on 02/21/12

A: deep black, ½” tan coffee head, hints of lacing

N: coffee so intense it drowns out other notes, some chocolate, roasty coffee bliss, almost expresso-like, almost seems to warm like actual coffee

T: like the best cup of coffee you’ve ever had, French press coffee followed by subtle notes of chocolate and roast, coffee, raisins, black licorice, dark fruits, overall more complex than cherry-vanilla IST, coffee compliments the “normal” beer without overpowering, initially overwhelming coffee, but the complexity of IST shines through

M: full and creamy RIS perfection, coats the palate with all the best notes

O: best coffee beer ever, better than FBS or BCBCS imo, a terrific beast of a beer

4.48/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Pulled at Prime 16 in New Haven CT from a beer engine.

A:Black body, two finger khaki head.

S:Smells like sweet coffee ice cream. Carmel, roasted barley, espresso, coco.

T:Remarkably sweet with the first taste. Very much like a coffee ice cream float. As this warms up the roasted, espresso coffee flavors come out. A lingering bitterness of maybe some earthy hops on the finish helps to keep it balanced.

M:Full bodied, light carbonation, creamy head keeps me sipping quite frequently.

D:Quite drinkable for the abv. As it warms up the lingering bitterness keeps me from ordering another one.

Overall this is an amazing stout and worty of some good words.
$8 for the 10oz pour.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Imperial Stout Trooper - Coffee Infused from New England Brewing Co.