Wet Willy Scotch Ale - Mesquite Aged - New England Brewing Co.

Wet Willy Scotch Ale - Mesquite Aged
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 01-30-2011)
4.15/5  rDev -9.4%

On-cask at Cask Republic into a 12oz tulip. This is the 2010 Wet Willy cask-conditioned with mesquite wood.

A: Almost completely clear, radiant red-orange body with two fingers of extremely creamy tan head; fantastic retention and lacing. This one is gorgeous by any standards, but almost unbelievably so for such a strong, cask-conditioned beer. Wow.

S: Intensely piquant aroma of sharp, spicy, lightly smoky mesquite wood...and frankly not too much else. The wood dominates this aspect of the beer, but that's not entirely a bad thing.

T: Opens with the mesquite, followed by rich, sweet toffee malt, as well as some fruity alcohol and more wood; definitely some oaky vanilla in there as well. The hops from the base beer aren't noticeable, but their residual bitterness pairs well with the wood to provide a quite dry, clean finish. It's delicious, but I think I prefer the greater depth of regular Wet Willy - the woodiness of this version really keeps everything else in the background.

M: Smooth, full, velvety, and, frankly, perfect.

D: The 11% definitely makes its presence felt, but the dryness of the wood + sweetness of the malt balance each other out really, really well on the finish, making it a pleasure to sip.

Notes: I heard about the existence of this cask several weeks ago from the guys at the brewery, and I've been eagerly awaiting it ever since. This year's Wet Willy was so great that I just had to try a different incarnation of it. I count myself lucky that I happened to meet up with friends at Cask Republic last night, since this cask really flew under the radar. I have to say, though, that even though it was great, it wasn't as great as I was hoping. NEBCO's been blowing me away so consistently lately that my expectations have become entirely unreasonable. I expected this to be an A+, and had to settle for a mere A. How awesome is that? EDIT: I wrote this before the new weighting system went into effect, making this an A-.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jan 30, 2011

HopStoopid120, Nov 15, 2011
Wet Willy Scotch Ale - Mesquite Aged from New England Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.