2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Friar's Quad - New England Brewing Co.

Friar's QuadFriar's Quad

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

A Belgian-style ale whose flavor is as bold as my wide's meatloaf - and four times as tasty, *b'dump-tssssh* But I kid, folks. This ale is a real mensch. We're here all week.

(Beer added by: davey101 on 05-11-2012)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 26 | Show All Ratings:
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

750ml, unlabeled, brewery-aged bottle into a Duvel tulip. Big thanks to Matt for giving me one of these after already opening one to share during my last visit to NEBCO.

A: Clear deep persimmon body glows radiantly when held up to light; above is an inch of frothy off-white head that settles into a sticky ring and leaves plenty of lace. Excellent.

S: Rich, complex aroma comprised of burnt bread, raisins, prunes, hazelnuts, chocolate and faint alcohol. Excellent.

T: Follows the nose: great balance of sweet and toasted malts with rich dark fruits, backed up with some earthy bitterness and warming alcohol. Tastes very authentically Belgian - almost incredibly so for an American Quad.

M: Smooth, creamy, and thick. Very frothy and decadent.

O: I enjoyed this beer just fine when it came out, but I didn't think it measured up to the greats in this venerable style. After a few months in a bottle, though, things have changed entirely. I know a group of knowledgable drinkers did a blind Quad tasting and placed this second, behind St. Bernardus Abt 12 and ahead of Westvleteren 12 and a host of others. I'd have to have it side-by-side with those myself to make a similar claim, but my sense memory takes me back to Rochefort when I drink this - it reminds specifically of a blend of Rochefort 8 and 10 that I did on a day trip to the town. It was a waste of time compared to Brussels and Payottenland, but it's hard to hate drinking lots of great Trappist brews. The fact that my local brewery has put out a beer that involuntarily takes me back to Belgium - well, that's just great.

Cheers!

12-02-2012 05:21:20 | More by woosterbill
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Friar's Quad from New England Brewing Co.