2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Friar's Quad - New England Brewing Co.

Friar's QuadFriar's Quad

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.20% ABV

A Belgian-style ale whose flavor is as bold as my wide's meatloaf - and four times as tasty, *b'dump-tssssh* But I kid, folks. This ale is a real mensch. We're here all week.

(Beer added by: davey101 on 05-11-2012)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 26 | Show All Ratings:
VelvetExtract

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A-Pours a murky brown color. Darker brown but somewhat radiant. Head is not very intense but it rings quite well. The color combination of the tan head and humming brown body makes this quite attractive to look at.

S-Complex nose. Powdered cocoa, dark fruits (figs, raisins, plums), and lingering yeast and spice. A sturdy herbal hop aroma is noticeable too. Alcohol is noticeable but it should be if its a good Quad. Nice depth. Also a bit roasty and smoky.

T-Brown sugar and caramel-dipped plums. Has a Cola component to it as well. Yeast and spice mixes well with the herbal hops. Has some Porter-esque flavors of powdered dark chocolate and coffee beans. Alcohol is masked quite well. Every sip lends a new flavor to examine and enjoy.

M-As big as it is, its surprisingly crisp and easy-drinking. There is a slow-rising alcohol burn, but the body and carbonation make this beer surprisingly easy to imbibe. Heavy and rich but still drinkable.

O/D-This is not my favorite style of beer. However, I love what NEBCO did here. Not nearly as cloying as others I have had of the Quad variety. While this will not crack my Top-5 NEBCO brews, it is still an amazing beer. This brewery is allergic to brewing boring beer. Every time they have a new offering, I get a growler, I drink the growler and I am always happy with the outcome.

05-11-2012 02:22:02 | More by VelvetExtract
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Friar's Quad from New England Brewing Co.