Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPA - New England Brewing Co.

Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPAFuzzy Baby Ducks IPA

Wants: 1,204
New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Beer added by: woosterbill on 06-21-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.69/5  rDev +2.6%

A: cloudy pale yellow minimal white head and lacing
S: one of the juiciest smelling beers. Tons of citrus almost like orange juice followed by some great hop/pine aroma
T: follows the nose very well tons of citrus up front very smooth and easy to drink but then has a great hoppy/pine end with amazing aftertaste
F: good Mouthfeel, not sticky but feels a little thin and watery

O: Definitely one of my top 5 ipas. Very hard to get but a delicious beer

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%

Hype aside, it's an outstanding alone. The aroma alone sets off fire alarms in my mouth, and is something you could smell clear across the room as soon as the growler cap came off. Citrus, some earthiness, peach, and lychee fruit. Pours a very nice light orange to med gold, but lacks stellar head. Taste is pure citra; lemongrass, light melon, peach, grapefruit rind. Highly quaffable.

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a 64oz growler of this on the 4th. This is right up there with all of the best IPA's. However great this beer is it is not whatsoever worth the VR'S, PROPS or any other bigger stouts guys are giving up for on here.

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by Andrew - thanks. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a thin (1/4") white head which fades to a cap and leaves some spotty lace.

N: Floral and fruity tropical and citrus (grapefruit and orange), faint peaches.

T: Juicy tropical fruits and citrus overtones. Well balanced.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation (growler). Finishes sticky and dare I say soft and fuzzy.

T: A treat and very enjoyable. One day on tap, I can hope.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64oz growler filled in late November. Thanks Matt. Poured into a stemmed glass 12/5/2014.

A- Cloudy, hazy, misty- you get the idea- straw yellow-orange body. Again, very cloudy. Looks like a Hill Farmstead IPA. Appropriately sized two finger white head with good retention time and plenty of lacing. Looks good. [4.5]

S- This beer has an extremely impressive nose. Intense passion fruit, grapefruit and oranges- the unmistakable aroma of Citra which seems to be overdone in brewing these days yet the Citra shines so well here. Just enough grainy pale malt sweetness to balance out the resinous nature of the hops. Ridiculously lush, fresh and juicy. [5]

F- Grapefruit, passion fruit, mango. Tastes juicy and rich. The pale malt stands out of the way the entire time, just enough to keep the hops from being overwhelming. A very nice citrusy and grassy bitterness on the backend that really cleans up the palate and sticks around for a while. This is really tasty. [4.5]

M- Medium bodied, soft, perfectly carbonated, smooth and incredibly crushable. The grassy bitterness provides a great balance without getting in the way of drinking this beer. This is very drinkable, no doubt about that. [4.5]

O- One of the best Citra IPAs I've ever had. Overall in terms of IPAs I definitely have a preference for Tree House Julius, especially since FBD has been such a pain to get. But this is definitely worth seeking out. One of these days I'll be able to do this side-by-side with fresh pseudoSue, a beer that this one reminds me of. [4.5]

Final score: 4.60

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Totally lives up to the hype. Pours a hazy orange with a nice average sized head. Nose is citrus, mostly grapefruit, orange. Taste follows, big citrus, grapefruit is forefront but nice big bitter bite at the end. Extremely drinkable. Excellent excellent beer.

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

another winner from NEBCO.

I bought a few growlers, blowing through my last one.

This has a long-lasting head and a nice orangey color. Great sticky lacing. The smell is tropical, fruity, delicious. This beer is light in flavor, and by that I mean the hops are sweet and not sharp or abrasive. Citra really is a wonder-hop... this reminds me of a half-strength Citra from KRBC. And that's a very high compliment, as that's my top-rated beer. Not much malt base but that's fine with me as the hops are so delicious.

6.2% seems just about right for this one. A joy to drink.

This one goes down too easily. I really really really like it, and hope NEBCO moves this one into regular rotation. One of the more delightful beers I've encountered as of late.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

On-tap at the brewery, poured into a NEBCO pint glass.

A: Cloudy, clearly unfiltered pale orange body with a significant amount of hop particulates floating around beneath a 1/2" head of fine tan foam that quickly fades into oblivion. Not exactly pretty. Matt claimed that this particular log was filled from the bottom of the brite tank and was therefore not a fair representation of how the beer typically looks, but I've got to review what's in my glass and what's in my glass is ugly.

S: Who cares about appearance? This smells INCREDIBLE. Pure, heady Citra goodness. Fruity as hell (grapefruit, mango, grape) and terrifically resinous. If you love dank hops, you'll love this.

T: Follows the nose. Rich, delicious, powerful hoppiness. Fruity up front, oily and resinous in the middle, and cleanly bitter on the finish. Not a hint of malt, and yet somehow the hops don't get oppressively bitter. It's both drinkable and intense at the same time. Perfection.

M: Soft, frothy, medium-bodied. Perhaps a bit too airy, but really nice.

O: What a terrific beer! Obviously it helps to get it the day it was conditioned, but I expect it will remain a truly delicious hop bomb for a while. It reminded me of the awesome IPAs from Willibrew - hideous to behold, but magical to taste. I can't wait to go into a beer bar and tell the bartender "Give me a glass full of Fuzzy Baby Ducks, please." You should, too.

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Hazy orange body topped with a thick, creamy head that leaves a generous lacing.
S: Grapefruit peel, oranges, and tropical fruits with an emphasis on pineapple.
T: Soft tropical fruit flavors up front with a late citrus bite. Very juicy beer.
F: I have found slight variation in the feel of this beer. I have tasted it where the bitterness was subtle and other times where it was sharp and biting. This beer is at its best in the former in my opinion. The feel is still nice either way—the carb is always on point and it's always absurdly drinkable.
O: This is the beer that drives a lot of NEBCo's hype. It's not my personal favorite of their's, but I still love it. I also love that it's not always available; I think some of the character of this beer is how infrequent the releases are. It's a world-class IPA and worth the experience to chase it down.

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 1/6/14

A- A massive plume of white foam sits atop a hazy orange/hay-colored body. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass.

S- The aroma is an initial burst of tropical fruit, especially passion fruit and mango, along with pineapple, followed by lots of citrus. Tangerine and lemon mainly, with some grapefruit as well. Some pine and bready/caramelly malt are also detected. A wonderful aroma!

T- The flavor opens with a lot of the tropical fruit, but that is ushered away by moderately bitter citrus and pine, and then finishes with clean, crisp cracker-like bready malt. This is very well balanced, but I wish the flavors melded a bit more rather than having such a clear cut progression from one to the next. It should be noted that this growler was over 2-weeks old, so it may have suffered slightly from that.

M- The mouth feel is medium, with not much carbonation. Crisp and clean.

O- This may have been negatively effected by the 2+ weeks it spent in the growler, but if so then this beer is truly world class! Some minor flaws such as less of the hop flavors and carbonation can likely be linked to that. Still an outstanding beer!

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: cloudy - unfiltered; golden yellow - SRM 7-8: 1 finger ivory head that receded to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: pine and tropical fruit; no malt characteristics - this is all about the hops;

T: tropical fruit up front; pine comes in mid-palate, along with a healthy dose of bitterness; that combination of tropical fruit, pine, and bitterness lasts though the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: this is about as close to the perfect IPA as I've ever had;

4.54/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally! Ending 2013 with an amazing brew...
on tap at coalouse in Stamford, ct. Poured into pils glass. Murky Orange with a bit of white head and tons of sticky lacing. Cant tell you how much I love a murky beer...
Huuuge pine and citrus fruit hop aromas...crisp malty notes as well. Taste is just domination of hops..lots of lemony citrus and a bit of sweet can do hop up front but finishes with a big bitter pine. Really nice balance...some slight biscuit flavor works really well. So much flavor its insane. The mouthfeel is a bit bitter but still amazing. Overall this truly is a fantastic IPA...one of the best I've ever had. im not usually a bitter ipa guy but this just works so well...I'm already back on the hunt for this again.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

It's a fantastic beer. Can't give it the full 5 because there are a few beers I prefer slightly more ( THB C-9/Julius, Nebco Ten-er #11). Only had to wait ~75 minutes! Love me some citra hops.

On second taste, I had to adjust my rating down. The reason is I do not care for much malt flavor, and there's some malt action going down on my tongue that kind of distracts me from the rest of the flavorbomb.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Drank from a 10 day old growler picked up on a trade in CT this past weekend (Thanks Brian!). This is a really great IPA. Amazing fruity/ floral aroma and wonderfully balanced, fruity, hoppy taste. I think it just loses a little (just a tad) on the finish. Very wonderful beer, but maybe not quite worth it for how hard it is to obain. I actually like Gandhi Bot a little better. (note, I have been drinking Dinner and Treehouse Haze the past few days, so my palette has some major competition). Definitely worth drinking if you can get it and maybe the best 6.2% abv IPA I have had.

2 day old growler...

Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden color. Fluffy white head leaves thick rings behind

Smell is of a Citra esque cat pee and tropical fruits.

Taste is bitter with that sharp Citra taste (I don't even know if Citra is used, but it sure seems like it to me) followed by some exoctic tropical fruits. Very dank.

It is a relatively dry IPA. It coats the mouth and leaves you wanting more!

This beer is fantastic! Been waiting to tick this for 2ish years, so glad I got the chance!

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Black Friday bottle share poured from 64oz growler into Iron abbey tulip. Nose is tropical citrus fruits and soft pine. Taste is citrus followed by a heavy bitter orange pith taste. Overall really tasty IPA. Worth trading for, ehhh....

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

A very cloudy weak tea colored IPA with a decent white fuzz on top (quite appropriately) and generous lacing to follow. The aroma brings intense citrus, grapefruit, orange, lemon, whatever, it’s there in spades almost to a sweet tart conclusion but it includes a little bready grain to give a touch of balance perhaps. I love it. The flavor is “grab your tongue”, Hop Stoopid bitter with the continued hop theme along with a grainy suggestion. This stuff is near mid-bodied but the tiny, brisk carbonation gives it a very lively, summer refreshment feel. It’s pretty intense and the flavor settles into a fruit syrup bite that still carries the grain goodness underneath the hop attack. Man I hope NEB sticks with this one. Sea Hag is a pleasant IPA that I’ll always like, but this moves up there with Stowaway as one of my favorite new IPA’s! Bravo Rob!

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

This is one of my first my first highly hyped beers and it lived up to it. Similar in color to Gandhi Bot with a hazy red/orange color and one inch white head. The taste is big on the grapefruit and not much else, maybe some orange or tropical fruit as well, but mainly grapefruit. Motuhfeel is great on this with juicy hops up front and a smooth, almost creamy finish. Overall, this was more than worth it to track down and it easily deserves its perfect score on BA.

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

To me, this is the ever-elusive NEBCo. offering. Gandhi is great, but it's available relatively regularly. This is the beer that had me thinking NEBCo. could give Hill a run for their money, based on the reviews anyway. As such, I and many others opted to wait for around an hour for a portion of their final keg this December. At $10/2L growler, they've already got Hill beat by far. I must admit I come into this review with Susan in mind, which is my second highest review (4.99) and comes in at $16/2L. I judge this a fair comparison considering their close proximity in ratings and geography.

A: Pale yellow/orange, filtered. Very nice.

S: Hoppy & citrusy, as expected. Lives up to the hype and then some.

T: And the pièce de résistance. Much more bitter than I had expected, not too much so however. The citrus for me comes after the upfront bitterness that is floral and not citrusy. The citrus is significant yet more subdued than I had expected. Not quite as citrus-forward or balanced as Susan. However, still spectacular.

M: Spot-on for an AIPA.

O: Well, although I must admit I'd take Susan over Fuzzy here, this brew is still undoubtedly among if not ahead of NEBCo and Connecticut's best. And, for that alone, they should be immensely proud. I never thought I'd see Hill-esque lines for beer in my home state but I sure enough did. And it was largely because of this beer. If you can get your hands on it, seize the opportunity. Going to savor the 2L I have.

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

Aroma - A punch of citra hops to the face—orange, grapefruit and pineapple most notable in the nose, but also some slight notes of acetic/funk presumedly from the yeast.

Appearance - Hazy yellow/straw color with a loose white head. Impresive from a growler!

Flavor - Palette is full of juicy orange and tropical fruit notes. Surprisingly low bitterness, no lingering sweetness and occasional appearances of a wheat or buttery malts.

Mouthfeel - Medium-low bodied with a bit of an effervescence. Some hop bitterness with no lingering astringency.

Overall - A citra hophead’s dream come true, this unapologetic IPA has some other subtle nuances that make it unique.

4.46/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Inch tall white head on a dull orange body. Head recedes to a cap and collar. Sticky step lacing.

Smell it through the bag baby! Big citrus notes noticed from a couple feet away.

Orange/slight lemon taste upfront. Big time bitterness on the tail end of each sip. Would guess around 7%abv

Medium mouthfeel, medium yet biting carbonation.

One of the better IPAs I've had in a long time. Could drink a lot of this. Thanks woosterbill!

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being an IPA addict and after having read the reviews I drove about an hour to the brewery and picked up a few growlers. Shocked and impressed that NEBco fills a 64oz growler of this stuff for $10. Bravo. And feel free to charge me $15-$18 next time.

Bullet points:

This beer has one of the best smells of any of the ipa's i've tried.

It looks awesome too - golden with lacy, white head.

Tastes good, light and refreshing... and with a mid range abv, it's close to a sessionable beer. It's a little more bitter than I would like, but balanced as other reviewers have said.

Final Judgement:

Fuzzy Baby Ducks is a great IPA. You'd be a quack not to try it if given the chance, but don't "fly" too far south or north to get some... instead buy some of their canned DIPA (Gahndi Bot) or do a trade. It's as good or better. And we can always hope they can or bottle this stuff because the label would be top 10.

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler from NebCo. Pours a hazy yellowish orange color with a 1/2 inch of head. Lots of lacing. The nose is a big whiff of tropical fruits. Pineapple, guava, mango, orange and a hint of lemon. The taste mirrors the aroma. Juicy tropical fruits with some lightly toasted malts. Mango, guava, sweet grapefruit, tangerine and light lemon. Some piney hop notes at the finish along with some sweet grapefruit. Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation. Very drinkable with not much of an alcohol presence. Dry. Overall, amazing IPA.

4.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

New batch from the new place

A) Nice slightly cloudy orange. Foamy head that quickly dissipates.

S) Citrus and floral notes.

T) Love this! Peach, Mango for the sweeteness and it is followed up with some pithy grapefruit zest. Outstanding.

M) Medium carbonation

O) Excellent beer that I wish was brewed more often!

4.42/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This has been a looong time want. Thanks to stillmatic2232, I get half a growler of it!

Any worries that the growler didn't travel well are dissolved by the pour. Pours a hazy, almost opaque orange, with a 3 inch head. Not much lacing in the glass.

Smells like bright citrus flavors (orange + grapefruit, mainly) with some underlying cattiness.

The taste is pretty similar. This tastes pretty similar to most Citra-hopped beers, but escapes most of the pitfalls of single hopped Citra beers. There is a sort of underlying cattiness that I find hard to describe (I will not describe it as cat pee, because I have never drank cat pee). It's more of an earthy cattiness, or something. As the beer warms, the citrus flavors become even brighter- juicy oranges and grapefruits, a little bit of pineapple. The bitterness is mild, but it lingers in your mouth during the whole session. This one gets better the more you drink of it.

Crisp, but slightly sticky mouthfeel. This beer coats your mouth and sticks around. Low carbonation. Very drinkable. The body is light, but almost fluffy in a way. The body and mouthfeel of this beer is possibly it's biggest strength, and it's nearly perfect. At 6%, this is a relatively low ABV IPA- it drinks so easy, with such huge flavor.

This is, unsurprisingly, a great IPA. The dirty cattiness is more noticeable before the beer warms up a bit, and detracts slightly, keeping it from being the perfect IPA. That being said, despite that, this is one hell of a beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPA from New England Brewing Co.