Follow our progress ...

Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPA | New England Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPAFuzzy Baby Ducks IPA

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by woosterbill on 06-21-2012

Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 661
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Just had this beer on cask from a local bar.

A- It's awesome. The beer is golden yellow can't even see through the other side. Frothy white head that basically never goes away.

S- The smell is awesome, hops, grapefruit more than anything. Gives you an idea of whats to come.

T- Taste is fantastic, grapefruit takes over here. I think the cask makes some of the malts stick out a bit more as well unless thats just how this beer is. I've never had it any other way than today, from a cask.

M- Feel is perfect. Very drinkable but still holds a nice body to it.

Overall, this beer is fantastic. All of the great elements of an IPA are there. I only wish i could find this in a bottle or regular tap so i can compare it to itself on cask.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Could this be one of the best brews ever? Had tons of the initial release, and couldn't wait for it to be brewed again. Had this on tap at New York Pizza in Plainfield. Brought to me in a pint glass, straight from the keg. Here we go.

Appearance: Fuzzy Baby Ducks arrives to the table a Cloudy, almost dull, watered down orange juice color. About a finger of dense bright white foam capped this beer off. Awesome head retention. Plenty of thick lace was left sticking to the glass throughout the whole experience.

Smell: Heavy hops up front, and plenty of them. Faint woody notes. Citrus and pine. Sweet malt is there, but is beaten down by the hops. Very pleasant nose. My discription just doesn't do it justice.

Taste: Hops definitely rule this beer! Citrus fruit and pine really shine in this brew. Sweet , somewhat grainy malt background tries to stand up to the juicy hops, but again the hops rule. Bitter hop bit and dry finish. Can't get enough of this brew!

Mouthfeel: Dry , super slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: NEBCO hits it out of the park again. Awesome drinkability, and great hop flavor.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%

A: cloudy pale yellow minimal white head and lacing
S: one of the juiciest smelling beers. Tons of citrus almost like orange juice followed by some great hop/pine aroma
T: follows the nose very well tons of citrus up front very smooth and easy to drink but then has a great hoppy/pine end with amazing aftertaste
F: good Mouthfeel, not sticky but feels a little thin and watery

O: Definitely one of my top 5 ipas. Very hard to get but a delicious beer

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%

Hype aside, it's an outstanding beer. The aroma alone sets off fire alarms in my head, and is something you could smell clear across the room as soon as the growler cap came off. Citrus, some earthiness, peach, and lychee fruit. Pours a very nice light orange to med gold, but lacks stellar head. Taste is pure citra; lemongrass, light melon, peach, grapefruit rind. Highly quaffable.

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured into tulip glass on tap at Little pub Wilton CT. Nice golden yellow hue with minimal lacing. Candied orange on the nose with a bit of pine earthiness. The malt profile is minimal, the feel lightly carbonated with an even mouthfeel. Initial hop bite, but has a generous juicy profile and finishes smooth with no bitterness. Very easy drinking, almost sessionable little fruit bomb from NEBCO. I really enjoyed this brew!

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had a 64oz growler of this on the 4th. This is right up there with all of the best IPA's. However great this beer is it is not whatsoever worth the VR'S, PROPS or any other bigger stouts guys are giving up for on here.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared by Andrew - thanks. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a thin (1/4") white head which fades to a cap and leaves some spotty lace.

N: Floral and fruity tropical and citrus (grapefruit and orange), faint peaches.

T: Juicy tropical fruits and citrus overtones. Well balanced.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation (growler). Finishes sticky and dare I say soft and fuzzy.

T: A treat and very enjoyable. One day on tap, I can hope.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

64oz growler filled in late November. Thanks Matt. Poured into a stemmed glass 12/5/2014.

A- Cloudy, hazy, misty- you get the idea- straw yellow-orange body. Again, very cloudy. Looks like a Hill Farmstead IPA. Appropriately sized two finger white head with good retention time and plenty of lacing. Looks good. [4.5]

S- This beer has an extremely impressive nose. Intense passion fruit, grapefruit and oranges- the unmistakable aroma of Citra which seems to be overdone in brewing these days yet the Citra shines so well here. Just enough grainy pale malt sweetness to balance out the resinous nature of the hops. Ridiculously lush, fresh and juicy. [5]

F- Grapefruit, passion fruit, mango. Tastes juicy and rich. The pale malt stands out of the way the entire time, just enough to keep the hops from being overwhelming. A very nice citrusy and grassy bitterness on the backend that really cleans up the palate and sticks around for a while. This is really tasty. [4.5]

M- Medium bodied, soft, perfectly carbonated, smooth and incredibly crushable. The grassy bitterness provides a great balance without getting in the way of drinking this beer. This is very drinkable, no doubt about that. [4.5]

O- One of the best Citra IPAs I've ever had. Overall in terms of IPAs I definitely have a preference for Tree House Julius, especially since FBD has been such a pain to get. But this is definitely worth seeking out. One of these days I'll be able to do this side-by-side with fresh pseudoSue, a beer that this one reminds me of. [4.5]

Final score: 4.60

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Totally lives up to the hype. Pours a hazy orange with a nice average sized head. Nose is citrus, mostly grapefruit, orange. Taste follows, big citrus, grapefruit is forefront but nice big bitter bite at the end. Extremely drinkable. Excellent excellent beer.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

another winner from NEBCO.

I bought a few growlers, blowing through my last one.

This has a long-lasting head and a nice orangey color. Great sticky lacing. The smell is tropical, fruity, delicious. This beer is light in flavor, and by that I mean the hops are sweet and not sharp or abrasive. Citra really is a wonder-hop... this reminds me of a half-strength Citra from KRBC. And that's a very high compliment, as that's my top-rated beer. Not much malt base but that's fine with me as the hops are so delicious.

6.2% seems just about right for this one. A joy to drink.

This one goes down too easily. I really really really like it, and hope NEBCO moves this one into regular rotation. One of the more delightful beers I've encountered as of late.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

On-tap at the brewery, poured into a NEBCO pint glass.

A: Cloudy, clearly unfiltered pale orange body with a significant amount of hop particulates floating around beneath a 1/2" head of fine tan foam that quickly fades into oblivion. Not exactly pretty. Matt claimed that this particular log was filled from the bottom of the brite tank and was therefore not a fair representation of how the beer typically looks, but I've got to review what's in my glass and what's in my glass is ugly.

S: Who cares about appearance? This smells INCREDIBLE. Pure, heady Citra goodness. Fruity as hell (grapefruit, mango, grape) and terrifically resinous. If you love dank hops, you'll love this.

T: Follows the nose. Rich, delicious, powerful hoppiness. Fruity up front, oily and resinous in the middle, and cleanly bitter on the finish. Not a hint of malt, and yet somehow the hops don't get oppressively bitter. It's both drinkable and intense at the same time. Perfection.

M: Soft, frothy, medium-bodied. Perhaps a bit too airy, but really nice.

O: What a terrific beer! Obviously it helps to get it the day it was conditioned, but I expect it will remain a truly delicious hop bomb for a while. It reminded me of the awesome IPAs from Willibrew - hideous to behold, but magical to taste. I can't wait to go into a beer bar and tell the bartender "Give me a glass full of Fuzzy Baby Ducks, please." You should, too.

Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Hazy orange body topped with a thick, creamy head that leaves a generous lacing.
S: Grapefruit peel, orange juice and subtle tropical notes.
T: Soft tropical fruit flavors up front with a late sticky citrus bite. Very juicy beer.
F: I have found slight variation in the feel of this beer. I have tasted it where the bitterness was subtle and other times where it was sharp and biting. This beer is at its best in the former in my opinion. The feel is still nice either way—the carb is always on point and it's always absurdly drinkable.
O: This is the beer that drives a lot of NEBCo's hype. It's not my personal favorite of their's, but I still love it. I also love that it's not always available; I think some of the character of this beer is how infrequent the releases are. It's a world-class IPA and worth the experience to chase it down.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Golden orange and apricot hues with a slight hazy body; thin white head and a scant lacing
S: Tangerines, oranges, and tropical fruits on the nose
T: The citra hops shine here and provide the requisite citrus punch; the malt profile is minimal
F: Lightly carbonated and even mouthfeel
O: Nicely hopped, but has a generous juicy profile - certainly helped paved the way for its Tree House and Trillium brethren. Nevertheless, this is a world class IPA that stands on its own.

4.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a beautiful hazy orange, head dissipates quickly. smell is orange peel, orange juice, and slight geapefruit. no malt whatsoever. taste is great: candied orange, dry citrus, that orange peel, and a very tiny malt back end. this one is citra through and through, NEBCO did a great job with this single hop. feel is fuzzy, as I would hope given the name. great great beer. don't know when I'll ever get my hands on this again because I won't stand in that line, but I hope I do one day.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 1/6/14

A- A massive plume of white foam sits atop a hazy orange/hay-colored body. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass.

S- The aroma is an initial burst of tropical fruit, especially passion fruit and mango, along with pineapple, followed by lots of citrus. Tangerine and lemon mainly, with some grapefruit as well. Some pine and bready/caramelly malt are also detected. A wonderful aroma!

T- The flavor opens with a lot of the tropical fruit, but that is ushered away by moderately bitter citrus and pine, and then finishes with clean, crisp cracker-like bready malt. This is very well balanced, but I wish the flavors melded a bit more rather than having such a clear cut progression from one to the next. It should be noted that this growler was over 2-weeks old, so it may have suffered slightly from that.

M- The mouth feel is medium, with not much carbonation. Crisp and clean.

O- This may have been negatively effected by the 2+ weeks it spent in the growler, but if so then this beer is truly world class! Some minor flaws such as less of the hop flavors and carbonation can likely be linked to that. Still an outstanding beer!

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: cloudy - unfiltered; golden yellow - SRM 7-8: 1 finger ivory head that receded to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: pine and tropical fruit; no malt characteristics - this is all about the hops;

T: tropical fruit up front; pine comes in mid-palate, along with a healthy dose of bitterness; that combination of tropical fruit, pine, and bitterness lasts though the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: this is about as close to the perfect IPA as I've ever had;

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally! Ending 2013 with an amazing brew...
on tap at coalouse in Stamford, ct. Poured into pils glass. Murky Orange with a bit of white head and tons of sticky lacing. Cant tell you how much I love a murky beer...
Huuuge pine and citrus fruit hop aromas...crisp malty notes as well. Taste is just domination of hops..lots of lemony citrus and a bit of sweet can do hop up front but finishes with a big bitter pine. Really nice balance...some slight biscuit flavor works really well. So much flavor its insane. The mouthfeel is a bit bitter but still amazing. Overall this truly is a fantastic IPA...one of the best I've ever had. im not usually a bitter ipa guy but this just works so well...I'm already back on the hunt for this again.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange that is very common of the great NE IPAs. The nose is unlike any other single hopped Citra IPA I've had having more of an earthy pine and follows with the fruitiness in the finish. The body is very refreshing with a good medium bitterness and carbonation and it finishes dry and clean.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not all it's cracked up to be but a pretty fantastic IPA none the less. The smell is what really got me. One of the best out there. It's like a floral grapefruit explosion in your sinuses rank this a step above Sea Hag and a couple steps below Gandhi Bot.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I thought it was a very delicious beer but I had no idea what a palate destroyer it was. I asked for a taster of Sea Hag (which I love) for comparison and I almost couldn't taste it. We have a winner!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

It's a fantastic beer. Can't give it the full 5 because there are a few beers I prefer slightly more ( THB C-9/Julius, Nebco Ten-er #11). Only had to wait ~75 minutes! Love me some citra hops.

On second taste, I had to adjust my rating down. The reason is I do not care for much malt flavor, and there's some malt action going down on my tongue that kind of distracts me from the rest of the flavorbomb.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Drank from a 10 day old growler picked up on a trade in CT this past weekend (Thanks Brian!). This is a really great IPA. Amazing fruity/ floral aroma and wonderfully balanced, fruity, hoppy taste. I think it just loses a little (just a tad) on the finish. Very wonderful beer, but maybe not quite worth it for how hard it is to obain. I actually like Gandhi Bot a little better. (note, I have been drinking Dinner and Treehouse Haze the past few days, so my palette has some major competition). Definitely worth drinking if you can get it and maybe the best 6.2% abv IPA I have had.

2 day old growler...

Pours a cloudy, hazy, golden color. Fluffy white head leaves thick rings behind

Smell is of a Citra esque cat pee and tropical fruits.

Taste is bitter with that sharp Citra taste (I don't even know if Citra is used, but it sure seems like it to me) followed by some exoctic tropical fruits. Very dank.

It is a relatively dry IPA. It coats the mouth and leaves you wanting more!

This beer is fantastic! Been waiting to tick this for 2ish years, so glad I got the chance!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Black Friday bottle share poured from 64oz growler into Iron abbey tulip. Nose is tropical citrus fruits and soft pine. Taste is citrus followed by a heavy bitter orange pith taste. Overall really tasty IPA. Worth trading for, ehhh....

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

A very cloudy weak tea colored IPA with a decent white fuzz on top (quite appropriately) and generous lacing to follow. The aroma brings intense citrus, grapefruit, orange, lemon, whatever, it’s there in spades almost to a sweet tart conclusion but it includes a little bready grain to give a touch of balance perhaps. I love it. The flavor is “grab your tongue”, Hop Stoopid bitter with the continued hop theme along with a grainy suggestion. This stuff is near mid-bodied but the tiny, brisk carbonation gives it a very lively, summer refreshment feel. It’s pretty intense and the flavor settles into a fruit syrup bite that still carries the grain goodness underneath the hop attack. Man I hope NEB sticks with this one. Sea Hag is a pleasant IPA that I’ll always like, but this moves up there with Stowaway as one of my favorite new IPA’s! Bravo Rob!

Fuzzy Baby Ducks IPA from New England Brewing Co.