Gold Stock Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Gold Stock Ale
No picture.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 142 | Reviews: 43
Reviews by tehzachatak:

None found.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love everything's about this beer an like many others, wish it was brewed during the summer.

Nose is amazing, look is so cloudy yet almost glowing. Smell is fresh w IPA notes. Taste is smooth an a balance of wood hops and just a GOLDen taste.

Ct doesn't have much but I'll put nebco against anyone! Boom!

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Served in a pint glass with one fingers worth of white foamy head.
Slightly hazy pale golden body. A slight ring of head remains and not much else.

Smells of citrus and lemony hops and bready yeast. Some
sticky an sweet pale malts and some pineyness.

Tastes mostly of pine and lemony hops. Some bready yeasty notes and a finish of what some may say is an oaky tannic quality.

Medium thin bodied. Low carbonation. Resinous piney sticky finish.

Overall this is a good beer. Nice smell, good taste and fairly complex.

$5.50 a pint

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Mmmm. Never had this one before NEB went away, and now they're back and it's great. A honey copper color with a low off-white head. Aroma is very faint, but I smell some hops. Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, very fresh. Flavor is floral hops, with a distinct grassy taste throughout. The chewy hops flavor lingers long. This is a very nice beer.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

NEBCo calls this one a "mutant Pale Ale", but on here it's an English IPA. IDK!

Light bodied and oddly hoppy. Had it in February of 2015 and I don't often see this one in the rotation. Worth going to the brewery and checking out. Nothing crazy like Coriolis of FBD, but it hits the right marks.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

I Can't say enough about the Gold stock ale..

i picked up a growler at the N.e.b and i was floored.

it pours out a very vibrant orange/copper color and it smells rich of bouquets of hops, a variety of floral and pale earthy notes... it is a very interesting brew as it is like a "german ipa"

extremely hoppy in flavor yet pale malts balance the end off for a delightful taste.

if you are lucky enough to be around to get some of this you have to now.

great job N.e.b!

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lousy weather on the East Coast, must be Gold Stock Week! Poured into a tulp glass, this has to be a Bot predessor! Frothy head, nice citrus nose and just a little vanilla. Go to beer pluss! I forget that every year this is such an easy drinkable beer. This should be canned!

3.68/5  rDev -14%

golden amber with a thick white frothy head. A nice amount of sediment was visible as was a good deal of carbonation. The retention was excellent and this led to quite a good deal of side glass lace. There was a tremendously hoppy aroma, and this took me a bit by surprise, however I am learning this seems to be the norm from the brewery regardless of the style. There was defiantly a light fruit, peach, pear yeast component to the aroma as well, but the quick crisp citrus hoppiness of it really put it over the top. Such a nice medium body with great carbonation really let the flavors really pop and then linger to let you get the full experience. Very nice bright flavor profile, lots of lemon, and coriander mixed with a pronounced yeast flavor and a very nice light but noticeable bread backing. A slight hint of alcohol but nothing overwhelming and it was actually a nice little extra punch to it.

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let me down.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

L: Pours a nice cloudy golden color with a tall and thick off white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, a big earthy, spicy, citrus-y hop aroma follows with a hint of something sweet at the end.
T: Tastes like it smells with a nice sweet toasted malt base followed by a slightly sweet taste and then a nice medley of earthy, spicy, citrus-y hops with a pretty clean finish.
M: Very smooth, slightly warming maybe more relaxing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this pint was done with ease and joy. With much less abv than most of the strong ales out there this was a nice break from them.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

On tap at New England Tap Takover Prime 16

A- Poured a nice golden orange with not to much of a head other than a 1 finger white layer on top.

S- Strong orange and tropical citrus fruits with a good amount of hops. Slight malts but mostly the fruity notes took over.

T- Wow a very different strong ale. Strong citrus up front, just pure orange and tropical fruits with a nice hop bitterness in there to even things out. Not to much malt presence suprisingly, it's as though they took ghandi bot and up the fruitiness.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice dry finish from the hops.

SkÅL!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at Delaney's.

Some friends and I made the trip to Delaney's specifically to try the Goldstock.

Pours a clear, deep gold with a slight hint of amber. Leaves about 3/4 of bumpy white head that leaves its mark in sticky lacing as you go.

Nose is surprisingly subdued, but still has plenty of hoppy floral notes.

Taste is wonderful, with lots of hops playing about, but never getting too out of control. Bitterness is wonderfully balanced with an almost candied malt backing, making it very refreshing.

I ended up drinking two of these during my session, as nothing else on tap seemed as inviting as the memory of the goldstock.

If only the brewers could kill themselves and make this more regularly.

Eric-

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

64oz growler I picked up 3 days ago from the NEBco. Pours a hazy amber color with a thin head that disappears quickly. Not much lacing. Great aroma. Pine, hops, sweetness, and a hint of tropical fruits (namely pineapple?). There is a lot of flavor here. Nice blend of piney hops, tropical fruits, and a great bitter bite. A bit floral as well. Pretty smooth and easily quaffed. Wasn't sure how well it would keep in my growler. Not a lot of carbonation but there is enough. When I tried the plastic sample cup at the brewery I couldn't believe how tasty it was. Now I'm really glad I paid $10 for a growler. Such a deal. Outstanding beer.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Big thanks to woosterbill for this one. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice, deep golden color with a good white head. Nose brings some really strong earthy, herbal, and lightly-citric hops. Really, really nice. Taste is along the same lines with a bit of earthy and floral characteristics plus a good deal of pine and some slight citrus. This is a cacophony of hops without any one type really dominating. Slight bready notes. Great bitterness levels and a bit dry. I was not at all impressed with Sea Hag, but this showed me that when they try, NEBC can really bring the hop attack.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Light yellow-orange in color, with a cloudy poor. Whiffs of glorious citrus and herbal hops fortified with a little oak. On the tongue it starts off hoppy and bitter but leaves you with a moderate amount oak flavor, a tad of vanilla from the wood, and lingering hop citrus. The flavor to ABV ratio is off the charts. It's big flavors are unique and deliciously packed into a relatively low amount of alcohol that just begs you to have another!

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Growler Into Duvel Tulip

A: golden (what a surprise) with tinges of amber color, nice carbonation and the aggressive pour produced a huge 3" head that took a long time to settle down, plenty of lacing splashed everywhere....beaUtiful

S: hops, hops, and hops- what makes this beer so unique (and craved after by CT BAs) is the unique hop profile. Using exclusively European Hops, Gold Stock has a great aroma that features distinctly earthy notes combined with the pine and citrusy-tangerine-orange notes. The oak chips are prominent in the nose as well, giving the beer a unique note.

T: The malt presence makes itself known with a balanced sweetness that combines deliciously with the boat load of hop flavors that come through. Similar notes to the nose, with the earthy hops giving the beer a unique taste. Oak substitutes for the malt profile, making the beer dry rather than sweet on the back end. Delicious, one of my favorite beers.

M: Good carbonation and the beer seems to be at one with my palate.

D: Higher than high. We are talking Cheech and Chong high here.

I love this beer and plan on filling every growler I own before the brewery shuts down the growler fills on this one. Maybe one day we can bribe Rob and Matt into canning this guy.

Note: They describe this one as a German IPA.

3.56/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Delaney's Tap Room on a recent trip to New Haven
A- Pours a murky golden orange hue, head is white and creamy foam that dissipates, thick swaths of lacing
S- Subtle pine hops, grassy tones, crisp biscuit malts, subtle hints of funky mildew
T- Initial taste is grassy, almost musty/funky, hops, very earthy, opens up to pale malts, finishes dry and bitter
M- Medium-bodied, watery texture, amped up carbonation
D- A nice balance of malts and earthy hops, low alcohol presence, but the musty mildew essence detracts from drinkability

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

New England Brewing Company is doing some good stuff. This old school recipe pours out into a cloudy orange and gold. Solid white foam head that settles and laces nicely on the pint glass.
Smells a lot like delicious hops. That's probably because of the massive amount of different hops that went into this beer. There is a slight sweet aroma of bread as well.
Tastes hoppy and citrusy right away. Flavors of orange peel and musty hops meld well together. Then comes the sweet malt and buttery biscuit hints to balance while the pine hits the back end of the throat.
This is a smooth easy drinking beer and the carbonation is present and hits the tongue, but is still mild. Quite possible that I finish this whole growler right now. I probably should have purchased two.
Drink it. It's good.

Update 2011 if I may. Picked up another growler. I'm updating my score as well. It is better than I remember before. I could easily drink this every day. A fantastic aroma of an array of citrus hops with a basket of oranges in the taste while being more drinkable than any beer should be.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had the Cask Republic for R Moe Nay's 28th birthday celebration. A nice full golden pint with some generous white head. As I inhale I'm getting some really nice citric hops along with some earthy tones. Almost an herbal like quality reminiscent to an Arizona iced tea. Some very nice pine and citrus hops are hitting my tongue now. The hops really dominate for a strong ale - I love it! A nice dry, crisp mouthfeel that I have grown to love. I loved the way the hops came through in this ale. Very well done. At 6.5 percent I could not imagine this beer to be more drinkable. Awesome brewery doing big things.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Growler into a .5L Stella Artois glass.

The beer has a smooth amber quality to the color. The head on my pours were small, I had trouble holding the glass at a good angle while pouring from the growler. The smell isn't remarkable, but the hops don't make themselves nearly as present here as they do in the taste. I flavor is something else. As others have mentioned before me the brewer referred to this beer as a German IPA if such a beer existed. The flavors in this beer make you think it should have more alcohol, it is great to have such a flavorful beer at only 6.5abv. I would like to have seen more carbonation. I've only had a few growlers before this, and I was a bit afraid that this one was flat before I saw other reviewers mention the lack of carbonation. I'm not a big drinker, I rarely drink more than 24oz in a sitting, but I could easily down an entire growler of this if I tried. I wish it was available year round in cans.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a couple growlers of this seldom available brew. It's been a couple years since my last and first taste of Gold Stock at a local brew fest. It shows a generally clear orange amber that hints at a little haziness. The off-white head borders on a light oatmeal color, big and foamy it dies down to a thin but tenacious cap with tremendous lacing. The aroma brings a fairly unique barnyard hop, slightly pine, with a moderately grassy highlight and a suggestion of earthy nut malt. Very pleasant though not what you expect from the average strong ale. The flavor gives you a bright grass/malt bite with a neat piny hop overtone. I do see the strong ale quality, it's just on the mild side, but like the aroma, it is probably not what you would guess. Just the same, I really like this stuff. It has a somewhat pungent quality with some nutty kicks here and there. I find this to be subtly complex, even some citrus ideas maybe. A bit hoppy for sure but not a typical IPA. And it feels so smooth going down even though it holds a crisp bright note at each mouthful. I would call it medium bodied and wonderfully drinkable. It's really a unique brew. It may not wow everyone but I think this is a pure winner, something you could enjoy any time of year. Refreshing, satisfying, tasty, not too heavy with little signs of alcohol presence. While it may not be a true strong ale, it is a welcome addition to that or any other category and one everyone should give it a try. I also find the hop flavors build as you work your way through a pint or two. This was worth waiting for and really needs to be available more often. The rest of the world just needs to discover it!

4.92/5  rDev +15%

As Hautacam has correctly reported, he turned me on to this one at the Litchfield Brew Fest on 6/23. Many thanks again to him.

I cannot add much to his review, other than to concur that this is one of the best brews I have had this year. Maybe the great weather, fine music, food and just a great overall vibe at the Fest helped; but this one is a high quality beer. I remember when they used to brew this one regularly at NEB in Norwalk. At that time, it was sold in bottles as well as draft. I hope Rob brings this one back to a wider distribution, perhaps in cans.

As Hautacam said, if you see this one, definitely wet your beak.

Steve

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dull orange hue with a slightly hazy clarity and no head; just a thin, tight band around the shoulders. Nose is subdued - citrus notes and a light, herbal quality. Grain bill is very forward in the flavor profile with just a little citrus in the background. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild acidity and carbonation levels just shy of lively. Overall, a solid offering, but nothing spectacular. In fact, I thought this beer was originally billed as an American Strong Ale. I'm surprised it's listed as an English IPA - I would have guessed an APA.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Very similar to the casked version, but the hops are slightly less pronounced in the aroma, yet come through a little heavier in the finish. I think the dry hopping in the cask brought a more potent hop aroma. The same solid beefy malting, but with a more active carbonation. Still an incredible beer, just a bit less hoppy in the aroma.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Great refreshing beer. First time having it. Waited in line for an hour at the brewery for it. Well worth it. So glad I live 10 mins away from the brewery.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Glad I got the chance to get this one from the brewery. It seems like half Belgian, half IPA. It's sweet and hoppy, has a great light orange color. Finger-thick head, decent lacing.

This beer has a really nice balance of flavors: citrus, hops, etc. I can't quite quantify exactly what it is I'm drinking, but I like it. A lot.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.