Gold Stock Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Gold Stock Ale
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

A-Pours a supremely hazy honeyed orange color. Head is smaller but leaves popped bubble lacing remnants on the glass. Head is bleach white.

S-A very interesting nose. Very hoppy. Hops are of ripe and juicy melons foremost. This really smells like a ripe melon. Fruity hop derived aromas of other tropical fruits. I even get a distinct aroma of coconuts. Light vanilla and oak too. An extremely unique and complicated nose.

T-This beer is so outstandingly original. Great hoppiness. Grass and herbal hops combine melodically with pine, citrus, melon, and a ton of pineapple. Definitely tastes like coconuts. I taste almonds, too. Smooth, sweet malt and a light oaky finish. Wow, there is just so much to comment on here.

M-The most buttery feel I have ever come across. Medium boded with plenty of carbonation. The feel of this beer is simply perfect.

O/D-I didn't know what to expect from this beer here, but I did have high hopes. This blew me out of the water. This is a beer set from its own unique mold. I love the flavors and the complexity. NEBCO kills it once again. I absolutely love their brews. This is perhaps the best beer I have encountered.

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Gold, cloudy, white head, lovely lacing.

Smell: Gold Stock is well balanced. You certainly had a hop presence, however it was balanced with orange oil, coriander, and citrus notes.

Taste: In one word: smooth. This beer was so well balanced between an IPA and a wheat beer it was unreal. Imagine a Lagunitas IPA mixed with a less yeasty Allagash White, and that’s what this beer was. If I ever see this during the summer, I will buy every keg… it’s a perfect summer brew. Gold Stock was easy to drink, perfectly carbonated, and a joy to pour out of the little brown jug. It finished with some spiciness and was very satisfying.

4.93/5  rDev +14.1%

As Hautacam has correctly reported, he turned me on to this one at the Litchfield Brew Fest on 6/23. Many thanks again to him.

I cannot add much to his review, other than to concur that this is one of the best brews I have had this year. Maybe the great weather, fine music, food and just a great overall vibe at the Fest helped; but this one is a high quality beer. I remember when they used to brew this one regularly at NEB in Norwalk. At that time, it was sold in bottles as well as draft. I hope Rob brings this one back to a wider distribution, perhaps in cans.

As Hautacam said, if you see this one, definitely wet your beak.

Steve

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Very similar to the casked version, but the hops are slightly less pronounced in the aroma, yet come through a little heavier in the finish. I think the dry hopping in the cask brought a more potent hop aroma. The same solid beefy malting, but with a more active carbonation. Still an incredible beer, just a bit less hoppy in the aroma.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

What a treat this was ! It was served on cask at the Litchfield Brewfest in CT on 6-23-07...absolutely the best , most interesting tasting brew there, IMHO....and there were lots of good beers.
I had wandered over to the New England Brewing setup for a draft Sea Hag and saw the beer engine with a sign that read " Gold Stock Ale"...I had to try it.
It came out very cloudy dark amber...almost brown with a lively off white head.
The smell was amazing....the hops so fresh and piney...like an IPA.
The taste was fantastic...sweet caramel malts, honey with lots of hints of various subtle fruits....then that wonderful piney hop kicked in and it all melded so well...it was a "Holy Shit " moment.
The body was medium/heavy ...really nice...perfect cask micro carbonation...velvet. My description just doesn't do it justice.
Drinkable ..?? I think they got tired of seeing me show up again and again at their table for another taste.
One of the best beers I have tasted this year.
I asked 'Barley Wino' if he had tried it and he held up a pint glass half done and smiled. I told 'Sraimondi' about it and he thanked me after tasting it.
I understand that the only place this will probably be available will be Delaney's in New Haven. If you see it , get it !!

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Light yellow-orange in color, with a cloudy poor. Whiffs of glorious citrus and herbal hops fortified with a little oak. On the tongue it starts off hoppy and bitter but leaves you with a moderate amount oak flavor, a tad of vanilla from the wood, and lingering hop citrus. The flavor to ABV ratio is off the charts. It's big flavors are unique and deliciously packed into a relatively low amount of alcohol that just begs you to have another!

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at Delaney's.

Some friends and I made the trip to Delaney's specifically to try the Goldstock.

Pours a clear, deep gold with a slight hint of amber. Leaves about 3/4 of bumpy white head that leaves its mark in sticky lacing as you go.

Nose is surprisingly subdued, but still has plenty of hoppy floral notes.

Taste is wonderful, with lots of hops playing about, but never getting too out of control. Bitterness is wonderfully balanced with an almost candied malt backing, making it very refreshing.

I ended up drinking two of these during my session, as nothing else on tap seemed as inviting as the memory of the goldstock.

If only the brewers could kill themselves and make this more regularly.

Eric-

Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.