Gold Stock Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Gold Stock Ale
No picture.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks to woosterbill for this one. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice, deep golden color with a good white head. Nose brings some really strong earthy, herbal, and lightly-citric hops. Really, really nice. Taste is along the same lines with a bit of earthy and floral characteristics plus a good deal of pine and some slight citrus. This is a cacophony of hops without any one type really dominating. Slight bready notes. Great bitterness levels and a bit dry. I was not at all impressed with Sea Hag, but this showed me that when they try, NEBC can really bring the hop attack.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

golden amber with a thick white frothy head. A nice amount of sediment was visible as was a good deal of carbonation. The retention was excellent and this led to quite a good deal of side glass lace. There was a tremendously hoppy aroma, and this took me a bit by surprise, however I am learning this seems to be the norm from the brewery regardless of the style. There was defiantly a light fruit, peach, pear yeast component to the aroma as well, but the quick crisp citrus hoppiness of it really put it over the top. Such a nice medium body with great carbonation really let the flavors really pop and then linger to let you get the full experience. Very nice bright flavor profile, lots of lemon, and coriander mixed with a pronounced yeast flavor and a very nice light but noticeable bread backing. A slight hint of alcohol but nothing overwhelming and it was actually a nice little extra punch to it.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to Aliza for sending a growler of this to the Chicago crew - split with Joe, Dave, Justin, and Matt. Served in a stange-like Dogfish pint glass.

A - Not sure when this was filled, but a nice hiss erupted when we turned the cap. Pours with a few fingers of off-white foam that dissipates to a thick cap and some spotty lacing. The body is a transparent coppery orange color. Really nice looking beer!

S - Spicy noble hops, lots of pine, and maybe a touch of soapiness. The profile is reminiscent of the Mikkeller German IPA I had recently. A bit of hop fade has set in during the six weeks since this was released, but it's not overly apparent. Malt backbone is one of toffeed apple.

T - The taste evokes a nice hoppy altbier. There's some fruitiness, with some bread and yeast, and light caramel notes. The hop character is more in the periphery, as these German hops just don't seem to have the ferocity of American ones. The finish is surprisingly clean, and the alcohol is not apparent at all. Probably more of a 3.75 here, but I'm feeling generous.

M - Soft, smooth, lower carbonation. Very clean finish with a bit of light stickiness. Body is medium, and sufficient for a 6.5% brew.

D - This was not what I expected, but it was super easy to drink. I suspect it was better a few weeks ago when the hop character was more intense. I'll give another spin sometime down the road.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let me down.

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

A-Pours a supremely hazy honeyed orange color. Head is smaller but leaves popped bubble lacing remnants on the glass. Head is bleach white.

S-A very interesting nose. Very hoppy. Hops are of ripe and juicy melons foremost. This really smells like a ripe melon. Fruity hop derived aromas of other tropical fruits. I even get a distinct aroma of coconuts. Light vanilla and oak too. An extremely unique and complicated nose.

T-This beer is so outstandingly original. Great hoppiness. Grass and herbal hops combine melodically with pine, citrus, melon, and a ton of pineapple. Definitely tastes like coconuts. I taste almonds, too. Smooth, sweet malt and a light oaky finish. Wow, there is just so much to comment on here.

M-The most buttery feel I have ever come across. Medium boded with plenty of carbonation. The feel of this beer is simply perfect.

O/D-I didn't know what to expect from this beer here, but I did have high hopes. This blew me out of the water. This is a beer set from its own unique mold. I love the flavors and the complexity. NEBCO kills it once again. I absolutely love their brews. This is perhaps the best beer I have encountered.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dull orange hue with a slightly hazy clarity and no head; just a thin, tight band around the shoulders. Nose is subdued - citrus notes and a light, herbal quality. Grain bill is very forward in the flavor profile with just a little citrus in the background. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild acidity and carbonation levels just shy of lively. Overall, a solid offering, but nothing spectacular. In fact, I thought this beer was originally billed as an American Strong Ale. I'm surprised it's listed as an English IPA - I would have guessed an APA.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a couple growlers of this seldom available brew. It's been a couple years since my last and first taste of Gold Stock at a local brew fest. It shows a generally clear orange amber that hints at a little haziness. The off-white head borders on a light oatmeal color, big and foamy it dies down to a thin but tenacious cap with tremendous lacing. The aroma brings a fairly unique barnyard hop, slightly pine, with a moderately grassy highlight and a suggestion of earthy nut malt. Very pleasant though not what you expect from the average strong ale. The flavor gives you a bright grass/malt bite with a neat piny hop overtone. I do see the strong ale quality, it's just on the mild side, but like the aroma, it is probably not what you would guess. Just the same, I really like this stuff. It has a somewhat pungent quality with some nutty kicks here and there. I find this to be subtly complex, even some citrus ideas maybe. A bit hoppy for sure but not a typical IPA. And it feels so smooth going down even though it holds a crisp bright note at each mouthful. I would call it medium bodied and wonderfully drinkable. It's really a unique brew. It may not wow everyone but I think this is a pure winner, something you could enjoy any time of year. Refreshing, satisfying, tasty, not too heavy with little signs of alcohol presence. While it may not be a true strong ale, it is a welcome addition to that or any other category and one everyone should give it a try. I also find the hop flavors build as you work your way through a pint or two. This was worth waiting for and really needs to be available more often. The rest of the world just needs to discover it!

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Growler into a Duvel tulip

A: Clear, bright orange-amber body underneath three fingers of dense, creamy tan foam; great retention and a decent amount of spotty lace. Straightforward and beautiful.

S: Pure, fresh, pungent Old World hops: spicy, earthy, and floral. The pure pale malt base doesn't even begin to make an appearance, but on the very tail end I'm picking up a distinct note of cotton candy - interesting. Overall, this is a wonderfully aromatic brew.

T: The malt backbone makes its presence felt up front with some generic sweetness, but the hops are still the focal point. Hugely earthy, lightly spicy, and generously bitter on the finish. Upon further reflection, the aftertaste blends the hops bitterness with a lightly tannic presence from the oaked fermentation. The oak also lends just a hint of vanilla. Overall, this tastes like a German IPA, if such a thing existed. Supremely balanced and as fresh as it comes (today was the first day that growlers of this batch were available). Awesome.

M: Smooth medium body, but pretty light on carbonation - a little too light.

D: I've just raced through my first glass, and am planning on killing the growler by myself. Let's see how that goes... Three glasses down now, and I'm still craving the next sip. This is gonna be a piece of cake. Hugely drinkable.

Notes: I was so eager to get to try this that I showed up, empty growlers in hand, a few hours before the beer was ready. 24 hours later, it was mine. 7 hours after that, I'm just about to kill the first growler (btw, my first solo growler assault). The description I got at the brewery was that this brew has a pure pale malt base underneath massive additions of purely European hops (Hallertaur, Tettnang, Saaz, etc.), and is fermented on oak chips. The result is a wonderfully fresh, balanced, and flavorful beer. If you get a chance to try this, don't pass it up.

UPDATE: It's fun to look back at this review, since it was of my very first encounter with this beer. Since then I've had several more gallons worth (including, one time, an entire gallon by myself, in one night). The only changes I'd make to my first impressions are updates on the differences between the 2010 and 2011 batches. 2011 was a bit lighter in color (while still presenting fantastic head retention and lacing), and much heavier on the oak and vanilla. While I missed the more hop-forward profile of the '10, I have to admit that the '11 was an even smoother, more balanced, and all-around better-integrated beer. The slight increase in oakiness also gave it a bump in terms of body, and I think I'll raise the mouthfeel score accordingly. Actually, I'm tempted to go ahead and give this beer 5s across the board, since it's just so damn delicious. I can't wait for next year!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Pint poured from a 64 oz. growler, filled on 1/28/13.

Hazy, cloudy, golden body with white brassy edges. Finger of cottony, gauzy, casky, off-white head. Nice lacing. Solid hop nose. Strong on the spicy, herbal, peppery, slightly funky noble characters. Some citrus rind as well. Fruity malt aromas play bass. Faint woody, oaky twinge. Lovely!

Spicy, bitterish, gentle hops up front. Malt fills in underneath, with notes of biscuit, cookie, and light fruit (melon and pear). Mineral water bitterness picks up a bit. Grassy, sea-air funk hop flavors roll in nicely. Peppery, dry finish. Subtle woody notes and even a little oaky vanilla. Medium body, with a smooth, creamy feel. Interesting, complex, and crazy drinkable. A big time winner!

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to jastack for sharing this growler with our table at Ebenezer's on 2/27/10.

A - Poured a hazy, rusty orange body with a thin, wispy white head that reduced to a ring of retention and deposited spotty lace around the rim of the glass.

S - Nose is rather spicy with hints of pine needles akin to a spruce Christmas tree. Malt character is sweet with mild caramel and syrupy notes. There is also a subtle "beach" scent (you know... what you smell when you're at the beach) as well as a slight waft of alcohol.

T - Similar to the aroma, the flavor is heavy on pine but with a more spicy flair suggesting peppery notes and tree sap. Sweet caramel malt balances the intensity of the hops, although Gold Stock ultimately finishes with quite an aggressive hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with light syrupy texture and bristly carbonation. Finish is quite bitter with moderate alcohol warmth on the palate.

D - This is an aggressively hopped brew that drinks like a strong IPA with a unique piney character and plenty of residual spiciness.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Mmmm. Never had this one before NEB went away, and now they're back and it's great. A honey copper color with a low off-white head. Aroma is very faint, but I smell some hops. Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, very fresh. Flavor is floral hops, with a distinct grassy taste throughout. The chewy hops flavor lingers long. This is a very nice beer.

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Served on-tap at Delaney's Tap Room in New Haven, Conn.

A: Poured a golden yellow, rusty amber color with a thin veil of white foam and moderate carbonation. Brew left a bit of sticky lace on the glass as well.

S: Smells good and hoppy, with complex floral and fruity ale notes mixed in with the pine and grapefruit acidity which dominates the nose.

T: Flavor holds a complex blend of rich buttery malts and strong, fruity esters coupled with an alcoholic sting and lush citrus hop profile. The brew is slightly astringent and the finish a nice, slick oily citrus hop flavor. Quite tasty, if not a little rough around the edges. Some decent complex malt bitterness is present as well, as it isn't just a big hop bomb.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a slick hoppy residue and a moderately crisp, fruity ale character.

D: One of those notorious "is it an IPA" strong ale cases for me; the saving grace is the complex ale fruitiness that maintains around the citrus hop notes and alcohol presence. At 6.5% ABV and with a palate as sharp as the Gold Stock presents with, it could be good to split a growler of and move along. All in all another good local brew from NEB.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Glad I got the chance to get this one from the brewery. It seems like half Belgian, half IPA. It's sweet and hoppy, has a great light orange color. Finger-thick head, decent lacing.

This beer has a really nice balance of flavors: citrus, hops, etc. I can't quite quantify exactly what it is I'm drinking, but I like it. A lot.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

64oz growler I picked up 3 days ago from the NEBco. Pours a hazy amber color with a thin head that disappears quickly. Not much lacing. Great aroma. Pine, hops, sweetness, and a hint of tropical fruits (namely pineapple?). There is a lot of flavor here. Nice blend of piney hops, tropical fruits, and a great bitter bite. A bit floral as well. Pretty smooth and easily quaffed. Wasn't sure how well it would keep in my growler. Not a lot of carbonation but there is enough. When I tried the plastic sample cup at the brewery I couldn't believe how tasty it was. Now I'm really glad I paid $10 for a growler. Such a deal. Outstanding beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Very similar to the casked version, but the hops are slightly less pronounced in the aroma, yet come through a little heavier in the finish. I think the dry hopping in the cask brought a more potent hop aroma. The same solid beefy malting, but with a more active carbonation. Still an incredible beer, just a bit less hoppy in the aroma.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a cloudy copper/orange color, producing a nice two finger creamy white head. It had minimal lacing as the beer was consumed.

S: Tons o' hops, very piney... not sure that I have really ever smelled anything like this before, not that this is dramatically different than other beers, but there is something unique to it. Overall, it smells great.

T: Starts off with a nice hop bite, very tangy citrusy taste. It then morphs into a really nice smooth finish, leaving a wonderful after taste in your mouth.

M: Very smooth, almost creamy... good amount of carbonation.

D: This is very drinkable and has a very acceptable ABV of 6.5%. I could drink this all night.

Note: It really is a shame that this beer is only available in bars or growler fills at NEBCO and that it is only brewed once a year. This is a true gem.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

L: Pours a nice cloudy golden color with a tall and thick off white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, a big earthy, spicy, citrus-y hop aroma follows with a hint of something sweet at the end.
T: Tastes like it smells with a nice sweet toasted malt base followed by a slightly sweet taste and then a nice medley of earthy, spicy, citrus-y hops with a pretty clean finish.
M: Very smooth, slightly warming maybe more relaxing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this pint was done with ease and joy. With much less abv than most of the strong ales out there this was a nice break from them.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had the Cask Republic for R Moe Nay's 28th birthday celebration. A nice full golden pint with some generous white head. As I inhale I'm getting some really nice citric hops along with some earthy tones. Almost an herbal like quality reminiscent to an Arizona iced tea. Some very nice pine and citrus hops are hitting my tongue now. The hops really dominate for a strong ale - I love it! A nice dry, crisp mouthfeel that I have grown to love. I loved the way the hops came through in this ale. Very well done. At 6.5 percent I could not imagine this beer to be more drinkable. Awesome brewery doing big things.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

64oz growler thanks to Mr. ubufan2112, I owe ya for this one.

Poured into Firestone Walker pint glass.

A- Hazy gold/brown, dull in low light and vibrant with some light behind it. 1cm dense head settles into a dense outer ring of bubbles on the pint glass.

S- Pine sap comes off the top.

T- Bitter, earthy, herbal hops. A fantastic crispness that I was not expecting. Almost refreshing. Pale malt balances the earthy bitterness fantastically. The hops come on as bitter and earthy, also grassy and a bit spicy.

M- Great carbonation, balance, body, I am floored. 5 of 5.

D- High. One of the most unique beers I've ever had- they don't make 'em like this. A strong 6.5% ale that kicks ass- I need more!

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

64 oz growler that I got at New England Brewing Company earlier today. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Violent-ish pour yields a half inch frothy white head that dissipates steadily leaving puzzle pieces of lacing. Pours a hazy yellow orange and leaves tight streaks of lacing.

Smell: Whoa, huge hop aroma bursts out of the growler after unscrewing the top.

This is one of those "Let's take a trip to the homebrew shop," beers, otherwise known as, "I like to smell/taste the ingredients that went into this," beers. In the glass, smelling the beer is like sticking your head into bag of fresh hops. There's an earthy melon character, along with Cascade citrus, pine, and some harder to pin down notes from the other hops.

Once your nose gets accustomed to the hop assault, it's time to stick your face into a bag of pale malt. New aromas coming out (some pastry dough), but I'm still squarely in the homebrew shop. The smell of this beer is so fresh and potent. With warmth, the hops (tangerine, melon, earth) come back along with the malt and the smell settles into harmonious perfection.

Taste: Up front, the taste is exactly the same as the pale malt in the aroma, proceeding to a piny, citrus bitterness, back to a smooth malty finish. The second sip brings out more of those smooth, earthy, melon-like hop flavors, with just a bit of oak influence coming out in the end. The same great balance and interplay continues throughout the glass.

Honestly, I've never tasted a beer like this. All the flavors/aromas are familiar to me, but never balanced this way and never with such an amazing "farm to table" like ingredient-oriented freshness. As others have mentioned, it really is IPA strength (German) hops, some decent west coast IPA-like bitterness and dryness in the finish, with a huge influence from the pale malt backbone and some great subtle notes from the oak. It's unique, but not gimmicky. It's just a really good idea that surprisingly hasn't been emulated more often.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Really mildly creamy and slightly resinous feel, with a dominating bitterness in the middle and mild dryness at the end.

Drinkability: I don't want to be too hokey or cliched, but this a real beer lover's beer. It's mindboggling to me that craft beer has taken off so successfully in the United States, yet beer that tastes like this is so uncommon. It is excellent. I only hope I can resist drinking the whole 64oz growler tonight.

There isn't much more to say in summary besides further gushing. I can count on two hands the number of beers in the past few years (out of several hundred) I've had that were this unique, and on one hand how many of those unique beers were even close to this good. Given how old this recipe is (about 20 years), it's just astonishing that there aren't more Gold Stock imitators. It goes without saying that I would love to see NEBCO bottle/can this beer.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

NEBCo calls this one a "mutant Pale Ale", but on here it's an English IPA. IDK!

Light bodied and oddly hoppy. Had it in February of 2015 and I don't often see this one in the rotation. Worth going to the brewery and checking out. Nothing crazy like Coriolis of FBD, but it hits the right marks. The recipe has changed a bunch of times. Matt has changed it recently with a blast of dry hopping to reflect a changing in palates of the consumer. Used to be a lot of german hops aged on wood. Tried it a long time ago and didn't like it as much as I did in February. Good melange of hops now and I would drink this any day.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks 1stbiermeister for the surprise appearance bearing a growler of this brew I have wanted to catch up to for some time. A worthy subject for my 200th review!!

Very hazy pale yellow color with a bone white head that doesn't last too long, but leaves a thin layer of foam and plenty of sticky lacing.

Pronounced and complex aroma - pear, melon, coconut leads into a big hoppy flavor. The flavor builds in a crescendo, starting with tropical fruits, building through resiny pine flavors, and topping off with a vanilla oakiness. Modestly bitter finish is really more spicy than bitter.

Mouthcoating medium body. Overall this is a very drinkable ale - a hop lovers delight, blending fruity and spicy hops with oaky vanilla notes. Rustic but well balanced, and certainly unique. I would definitely snag this one any chance I got.

I am not sure what an American Strong Ale is - the BA description says it is a "catch all" for ales > 7% abv. So how does this qualify at 6.5%? Maybe it is not bitter enough to be an IPA, but it is damn hoppy. Regardless, it is a nice beer and I rate it on its own merits.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

What a treat this was ! It was served on cask at the Litchfield Brewfest in CT on 6-23-07...absolutely the best , most interesting tasting brew there, IMHO....and there were lots of good beers.
I had wandered over to the New England Brewing setup for a draft Sea Hag and saw the beer engine with a sign that read " Gold Stock Ale"...I had to try it.
It came out very cloudy dark amber...almost brown with a lively off white head.
The smell was amazing....the hops so fresh and piney...like an IPA.
The taste was fantastic...sweet caramel malts, honey with lots of hints of various subtle fruits....then that wonderful piney hop kicked in and it all melded so well...it was a "Holy Shit " moment.
The body was medium/heavy ...really nice...perfect cask micro carbonation...velvet. My description just doesn't do it justice.
Drinkable ..?? I think they got tired of seeing me show up again and again at their table for another taste.
One of the best beers I have tasted this year.
I asked 'Barley Wino' if he had tried it and he held up a pint glass half done and smiled. I told 'Sraimondi' about it and he thanked me after tasting it.
I understand that the only place this will probably be available will be Delaney's in New Haven. If you see it , get it !!

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Well after a little over 6 months of wanting to try this beer today was my lucky day! Went to the bar to get some work done and surprise this was on. Not the most attractive beer in the glass, cloudy yellow with a little crystal white head and poor retention. The aroma is straight forward and hoppy. The flavor surprises me on the first sip. This beer must be the most flavor for the lowest alcohol I have tasted in a while. Big oak-y flavor that delivers vanilla, toast, and a light caramel note. Then a wave of hops bitter, pithy with a hint of citrus that leaves an indelable impact on your palate. The body of this beer is pretty good and the oak adds a rich quality. There is a bit of a cloying aspect to this beer which gets to me after a while. I'm glad to try this beer.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

On tap at New England Tap Takover Prime 16

A- Poured a nice golden orange with not to much of a head other than a 1 finger white layer on top.

S- Strong orange and tropical citrus fruits with a good amount of hops. Slight malts but mostly the fruity notes took over.

T- Wow a very different strong ale. Strong citrus up front, just pure orange and tropical fruits with a nice hop bitterness in there to even things out. Not to much malt presence suprisingly, it's as though they took ghandi bot and up the fruitiness.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice dry finish from the hops.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.