Gold Stock Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Gold Stock Ale
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks 1stbiermeister for the surprise appearance bearing a growler of this brew I have wanted to catch up to for some time. A worthy subject for my 200th review!!

Very hazy pale yellow color with a bone white head that doesn't last too long, but leaves a thin layer of foam and plenty of sticky lacing.

Pronounced and complex aroma - pear, melon, coconut leads into a big hoppy flavor. The flavor builds in a crescendo, starting with tropical fruits, building through resiny pine flavors, and topping off with a vanilla oakiness. Modestly bitter finish is really more spicy than bitter.

Mouthcoating medium body. Overall this is a very drinkable ale - a hop lovers delight, blending fruity and spicy hops with oaky vanilla notes. Rustic but well balanced, and certainly unique. I would definitely snag this one any chance I got.

I am not sure what an American Strong Ale is - the BA description says it is a "catch all" for ales > 7% abv. So how does this qualify at 6.5%? Maybe it is not bitter enough to be an IPA, but it is damn hoppy. Regardless, it is a nice beer and I rate it on its own merits.

4.98/5  rDev +15.3%

A-Pours a supremely hazy honeyed orange color. Head is smaller but leaves popped bubble lacing remnants on the glass. Head is bleach white.

S-A very interesting nose. Very hoppy. Hops are of ripe and juicy melons foremost. This really smells like a ripe melon. Fruity hop derived aromas of other tropical fruits. I even get a distinct aroma of coconuts. Light vanilla and oak too. An extremely unique and complicated nose.

T-This beer is so outstandingly original. Great hoppiness. Grass and herbal hops combine melodically with pine, citrus, melon, and a ton of pineapple. Definitely tastes like coconuts. I taste almonds, too. Smooth, sweet malt and a light oaky finish. Wow, there is just so much to comment on here.

M-The most buttery feel I have ever come across. Medium boded with plenty of carbonation. The feel of this beer is simply perfect.

O/D-I didn't know what to expect from this beer here, but I did have high hopes. This blew me out of the water. This is a beer set from its own unique mold. I love the flavors and the complexity. NEBCO kills it once again. I absolutely love their brews. This is perhaps the best beer I have encountered.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

golden amber with a thick white frothy head. A nice amount of sediment was visible as was a good deal of carbonation. The retention was excellent and this led to quite a good deal of side glass lace. There was a tremendously hoppy aroma, and this took me a bit by surprise, however I am learning this seems to be the norm from the brewery regardless of the style. There was defiantly a light fruit, peach, pear yeast component to the aroma as well, but the quick crisp citrus hoppiness of it really put it over the top. Such a nice medium body with great carbonation really let the flavors really pop and then linger to let you get the full experience. Very nice bright flavor profile, lots of lemon, and coriander mixed with a pronounced yeast flavor and a very nice light but noticeable bread backing. A slight hint of alcohol but nothing overwhelming and it was actually a nice little extra punch to it.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at New England Tap Takover Prime 16

A- Poured a nice golden orange with not to much of a head other than a 1 finger white layer on top.

S- Strong orange and tropical citrus fruits with a good amount of hops. Slight malts but mostly the fruity notes took over.

T- Wow a very different strong ale. Strong citrus up front, just pure orange and tropical fruits with a nice hop bitterness in there to even things out. Not to much malt presence suprisingly, it's as though they took ghandi bot and up the fruitiness.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice dry finish from the hops.

SkÅL!

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had the Cask Republic for R Moe Nay's 28th birthday celebration. A nice full golden pint with some generous white head. As I inhale I'm getting some really nice citric hops along with some earthy tones. Almost an herbal like quality reminiscent to an Arizona iced tea. Some very nice pine and citrus hops are hitting my tongue now. The hops really dominate for a strong ale - I love it! A nice dry, crisp mouthfeel that I have grown to love. I loved the way the hops came through in this ale. Very well done. At 6.5 percent I could not imagine this beer to be more drinkable. Awesome brewery doing big things.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a cloudy copper/orange color, producing a nice two finger creamy white head. It had minimal lacing as the beer was consumed.

S: Tons o' hops, very piney... not sure that I have really ever smelled anything like this before, not that this is dramatically different than other beers, but there is something unique to it. Overall, it smells great.

T: Starts off with a nice hop bite, very tangy citrusy taste. It then morphs into a really nice smooth finish, leaving a wonderful after taste in your mouth.

M: Very smooth, almost creamy... good amount of carbonation.

D: This is very drinkable and has a very acceptable ABV of 6.5%. I could drink this all night.

Note: It really is a shame that this beer is only available in bars or growler fills at NEBCO and that it is only brewed once a year. This is a true gem.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Growler Into Duvel Tulip

A: golden (what a surprise) with tinges of amber color, nice carbonation and the aggressive pour produced a huge 3" head that took a long time to settle down, plenty of lacing splashed everywhere....beaUtiful

S: hops, hops, and hops- what makes this beer so unique (and craved after by CT BAs) is the unique hop profile. Using exclusively European Hops, Gold Stock has a great aroma that features distinctly earthy notes combined with the pine and citrusy-tangerine-orange notes. The oak chips are prominent in the nose as well, giving the beer a unique note.

T: The malt presence makes itself known with a balanced sweetness that combines deliciously with the boat load of hop flavors that come through. Similar notes to the nose, with the earthy hops giving the beer a unique taste. Oak substitutes for the malt profile, making the beer dry rather than sweet on the back end. Delicious, one of my favorite beers.

M: Good carbonation and the beer seems to be at one with my palate.

D: Higher than high. We are talking Cheech and Chong high here.

I love this beer and plan on filling every growler I own before the brewery shuts down the growler fills on this one. Maybe one day we can bribe Rob and Matt into canning this guy.

Note: They describe this one as a German IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

64 oz growler that I got at New England Brewing Company earlier today. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Violent-ish pour yields a half inch frothy white head that dissipates steadily leaving puzzle pieces of lacing. Pours a hazy yellow orange and leaves tight streaks of lacing.

Smell: Whoa, huge hop aroma bursts out of the growler after unscrewing the top.

This is one of those "Let's take a trip to the homebrew shop," beers, otherwise known as, "I like to smell/taste the ingredients that went into this," beers. In the glass, smelling the beer is like sticking your head into bag of fresh hops. There's an earthy melon character, along with Cascade citrus, pine, and some harder to pin down notes from the other hops.

Once your nose gets accustomed to the hop assault, it's time to stick your face into a bag of pale malt. New aromas coming out (some pastry dough), but I'm still squarely in the homebrew shop. The smell of this beer is so fresh and potent. With warmth, the hops (tangerine, melon, earth) come back along with the malt and the smell settles into harmonious perfection.

Taste: Up front, the taste is exactly the same as the pale malt in the aroma, proceeding to a piny, citrus bitterness, back to a smooth malty finish. The second sip brings out more of those smooth, earthy, melon-like hop flavors, with just a bit of oak influence coming out in the end. The same great balance and interplay continues throughout the glass.

Honestly, I've never tasted a beer like this. All the flavors/aromas are familiar to me, but never balanced this way and never with such an amazing "farm to table" like ingredient-oriented freshness. As others have mentioned, it really is IPA strength (German) hops, some decent west coast IPA-like bitterness and dryness in the finish, with a huge influence from the pale malt backbone and some great subtle notes from the oak. It's unique, but not gimmicky. It's just a really good idea that surprisingly hasn't been emulated more often.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Really mildly creamy and slightly resinous feel, with a dominating bitterness in the middle and mild dryness at the end.

Drinkability: I don't want to be too hokey or cliched, but this a real beer lover's beer. It's mindboggling to me that craft beer has taken off so successfully in the United States, yet beer that tastes like this is so uncommon. It is excellent. I only hope I can resist drinking the whole 64oz growler tonight.

There isn't much more to say in summary besides further gushing. I can count on two hands the number of beers in the past few years (out of several hundred) I've had that were this unique, and on one hand how many of those unique beers were even close to this good. Given how old this recipe is (about 20 years), it's just astonishing that there aren't more Gold Stock imitators. It goes without saying that I would love to see NEBCO bottle/can this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

64oz growler I picked up 3 days ago from the NEBco. Pours a hazy amber color with a thin head that disappears quickly. Not much lacing. Great aroma. Pine, hops, sweetness, and a hint of tropical fruits (namely pineapple?). There is a lot of flavor here. Nice blend of piney hops, tropical fruits, and a great bitter bite. A bit floral as well. Pretty smooth and easily quaffed. Wasn't sure how well it would keep in my growler. Not a lot of carbonation but there is enough. When I tried the plastic sample cup at the brewery I couldn't believe how tasty it was. Now I'm really glad I paid $10 for a growler. Such a deal. Outstanding beer.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

64oz growler thanks to Mr. ubufan2112, I owe ya for this one.

Poured into Firestone Walker pint glass.

A- Hazy gold/brown, dull in low light and vibrant with some light behind it. 1cm dense head settles into a dense outer ring of bubbles on the pint glass.

S- Pine sap comes off the top.

T- Bitter, earthy, herbal hops. A fantastic crispness that I was not expecting. Almost refreshing. Pale malt balances the earthy bitterness fantastically. The hops come on as bitter and earthy, also grassy and a bit spicy.

M- Great carbonation, balance, body, I am floored. 5 of 5.

D- High. One of the most unique beers I've ever had- they don't make 'em like this. A strong 6.5% ale that kicks ass- I need more!

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks to woosterbill for this one. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a nice, deep golden color with a good white head. Nose brings some really strong earthy, herbal, and lightly-citric hops. Really, really nice. Taste is along the same lines with a bit of earthy and floral characteristics plus a good deal of pine and some slight citrus. This is a cacophony of hops without any one type really dominating. Slight bready notes. Great bitterness levels and a bit dry. I was not at all impressed with Sea Hag, but this showed me that when they try, NEBC can really bring the hop attack.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to Aliza for sending a growler of this to the Chicago crew - split with Joe, Dave, Justin, and Matt. Served in a stange-like Dogfish pint glass.

A - Not sure when this was filled, but a nice hiss erupted when we turned the cap. Pours with a few fingers of off-white foam that dissipates to a thick cap and some spotty lacing. The body is a transparent coppery orange color. Really nice looking beer!

S - Spicy noble hops, lots of pine, and maybe a touch of soapiness. The profile is reminiscent of the Mikkeller German IPA I had recently. A bit of hop fade has set in during the six weeks since this was released, but it's not overly apparent. Malt backbone is one of toffeed apple.

T - The taste evokes a nice hoppy altbier. There's some fruitiness, with some bread and yeast, and light caramel notes. The hop character is more in the periphery, as these German hops just don't seem to have the ferocity of American ones. The finish is surprisingly clean, and the alcohol is not apparent at all. Probably more of a 3.75 here, but I'm feeling generous.

M - Soft, smooth, lower carbonation. Very clean finish with a bit of light stickiness. Body is medium, and sufficient for a 6.5% brew.

D - This was not what I expected, but it was super easy to drink. I suspect it was better a few weeks ago when the hop character was more intense. I'll give another spin sometime down the road.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

New England Brewing Company is doing some good stuff. This old school recipe pours out into a cloudy orange and gold. Solid white foam head that settles and laces nicely on the pint glass.
Smells a lot like delicious hops. That's probably because of the massive amount of different hops that went into this beer. There is a slight sweet aroma of bread as well.
Tastes hoppy and citrusy right away. Flavors of orange peel and musty hops meld well together. Then comes the sweet malt and buttery biscuit hints to balance while the pine hits the back end of the throat.
This is a smooth easy drinking beer and the carbonation is present and hits the tongue, but is still mild. Quite possible that I finish this whole growler right now. I probably should have purchased two.
Drink it. It's good.

Update 2011 if I may. Picked up another growler. I'm updating my score as well. It is better than I remember before. I could easily drink this every day. A fantastic aroma of an array of citrus hops with a basket of oranges in the taste while being more drinkable than any beer should be.

3.93/5  rDev -9%

Served on-tap at Delaney's Tap Room in New Haven, Conn.

A: Poured a golden yellow, rusty amber color with a thin veil of white foam and moderate carbonation. Brew left a bit of sticky lace on the glass as well.

S: Smells good and hoppy, with complex floral and fruity ale notes mixed in with the pine and grapefruit acidity which dominates the nose.

T: Flavor holds a complex blend of rich buttery malts and strong, fruity esters coupled with an alcoholic sting and lush citrus hop profile. The brew is slightly astringent and the finish a nice, slick oily citrus hop flavor. Quite tasty, if not a little rough around the edges. Some decent complex malt bitterness is present as well, as it isn't just a big hop bomb.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a slick hoppy residue and a moderately crisp, fruity ale character.

D: One of those notorious "is it an IPA" strong ale cases for me; the saving grace is the complex ale fruitiness that maintains around the citrus hop notes and alcohol presence. At 6.5% ABV and with a palate as sharp as the Gold Stock presents with, it could be good to split a growler of and move along. All in all another good local brew from NEB.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

I was surprised to see this on tap at Eli Cannons in Middletown. Lately they haven't had anything desirable.

A-Pours a hazy, somewhat transparent golden/orange color. Had about a finger of white head. Nice, sticky lacing.

S-Smells of piney hops and earth. Hints of malt and citrus but really a faint aroma overall.

T-Tastes of earthy and floral hops. Good malt backbone, but hops are the focus here. Very light and smooth. Finishes nicely bitter and a little bit dry.

M-Lower side of a medium body. I've noticed a lot of beers seem to have less body when drinking here, not sure why. Carb is medium but noticeable.

D-Low abv for this style makes it dangerously drinkable.. Very smooth overall.

This is another excellent offering from NEB. Between this and stout trooper, I think I'm in love.

Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.