2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gold Stock Ale - New England Brewing Co.

Gold Stock Ale
No picture uploaded.

New England Brewing Co. visit their website
Connecticut, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.50% ABV

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 70 | Reviews: 37 | Show All Ratings:
wyllder

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at Delaney's.

Some friends and I made the trip to Delaney's specifically to try the Goldstock.

Pours a clear, deep gold with a slight hint of amber. Leaves about 3/4 of bumpy white head that leaves its mark in sticky lacing as you go.

Nose is surprisingly subdued, but still has plenty of hoppy floral notes.

Taste is wonderful, with lots of hops playing about, but never getting too out of control. Bitterness is wonderfully balanced with an almost candied malt backing, making it very refreshing.

I ended up drinking two of these during my session, as nothing else on tap seemed as inviting as the memory of the goldstock.

If only the brewers could kill themselves and make this more regularly.

Eric-

07-31-2007 20:26:22 | More by wyllder
sraimondi

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

As Hautacam has correctly reported, he turned me on to this one at the Litchfield Brew Fest on 6/23. Many thanks again to him.

I cannot add much to his review, other than to concur that this is one of the best brews I have had this year. Maybe the great weather, fine music, food and just a great overall vibe at the Fest helped; but this one is a high quality beer. I remember when they used to brew this one regularly at NEB in Norwalk. At that time, it was sold in bottles as well as draft. I hope Rob brings this one back to a wider distribution, perhaps in cans.

As Hautacam said, if you see this one, definitely wet your beak.

Steve

Serving type: cask

06-29-2007 18:37:16 | More by sraimondi
Hautacam

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

What a treat this was ! It was served on cask at the Litchfield Brewfest in CT on 6-23-07...absolutely the best , most interesting tasting brew there, IMHO....and there were lots of good beers.
I had wandered over to the New England Brewing setup for a draft Sea Hag and saw the beer engine with a sign that read " Gold Stock Ale"...I had to try it.
It came out very cloudy dark amber...almost brown with a lively off white head.
The smell was amazing....the hops so fresh and piney...like an IPA.
The taste was fantastic...sweet caramel malts, honey with lots of hints of various subtle fruits....then that wonderful piney hop kicked in and it all melded so well...it was a "Holy Shit " moment.
The body was medium/heavy ...really nice...perfect cask micro carbonation...velvet. My description just doesn't do it justice.
Drinkable ..?? I think they got tired of seeing me show up again and again at their table for another taste.
One of the best beers I have tasted this year.
I asked 'Barley Wino' if he had tried it and he held up a pint glass half done and smiled. I told 'Sraimondi' about it and he thanked me after tasting it.
I understand that the only place this will probably be available will be Delaney's in New Haven. If you see it , get it !!

Serving type: cask

06-25-2007 22:48:48 | More by Hautacam
beerman599

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

rob and pete built a beauty with the gold stock ale. full malty with a balance of noble hops. fresh hint of hops in the aroma backed up with a bitter finish with enough malt for balance, and a lingering noble hop aftertaste that made me go for another

03-11-2004 22:37:00 | More by beerman599
Gusler

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let me down.

10-13-2003 23:36:12 | More by Gusler
far333

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Mmmm. Never had this one before NEB went away, and now they're back and it's great. A honey copper color with a low off-white head. Aroma is very faint, but I smell some hops. Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, very fresh. Flavor is floral hops, with a distinct grassy taste throughout. The chewy hops flavor lingers long. This is a very nice beer.

09-14-2003 01:58:47 | More by far333
UnionMade

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Very similar to the casked version, but the hops are slightly less pronounced in the aroma, yet come through a little heavier in the finish. I think the dry hopping in the cask brought a more potent hop aroma. The same solid beefy malting, but with a more active carbonation. Still an incredible beer, just a bit less hoppy in the aroma.

08-28-2003 02:41:01 | More by UnionMade
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.