Beamish Irish Stout - Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beamish Irish Stout Alström Bros

Very good stout. Comparable to Guinness but creamier. Beamish is hard to find I've only had it twice on draft: At Ryan's Daughter in Baltimore and at Meehan's locations in Georgia. It's also available in cans at package stores in Georgia. I asked a local pub in Arlington, VA why they don't have it and got the reply "Ireland doesn't like us enough".

The perfect dry stout, and near perfection in a beer. Black and wonderfull with that excellent thick head. Nice malt and mocha coffee aroma. Bitter sweet flavor, full and creamy yet with a nice dryness in the finish that keeps you drinking. Not as sharp as guinness with this wonderfull complex nutty/chocolate finish...Mmmmmm

You have to have this one on tap, the cans do no justice to it. And for the beer at it peak, ya gotta have it in Ireland..

On tap this beer beats out Guinness easily in my book.

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

Ireland's finest stout, much nicer than Guinness. I could drink a dozen of these and still want more. Personally I find it more refreshing and easier to drink than the world famous Guinness. If in Ireland, I would reccomend buying one of these before Guinness, they are just as widely availible as the other legendary stout. It is famous for being slightly cheaper too. I wouldn't buy this from a can or bottle though, completely different drink.

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

now this is Ireland's top dog. the best of the best. black with a thick sticky white head, smells once again like a good pub should. the taste is, for lack of a better way to say it, what irish stout is supposed to taste like. the mouth-feel is also perfect, and it is chug-able as stout gets without being watery. if you see this beer and pass it up, you should probably seek counseling.

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

A: Pitch black with a tan head that lasts forever. A wonderful looking stout. It's been 10 minutes since I poured it, and it still has a full finger of foam.

S: A nice roasted malt smell. No alcohol noticeable.

T: Great roasted caramel malt flavor with a background of smoke. Alcohol is present, but perfectly balanced. Bits of coffee in the background.

M: Astringent, but just enough. Carbonation is good for the style. Just syrupy enough to be delicious.

D: I could drink so many of these. Much better than Guinness in my opinion (dodges bullets).

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Served from a nitro tap into a pint glass.
Aroma: The aroma is espresso-like roasted barley with hints of cocoa. You’ll be surprised by how strong the aroma is from this relatively low alcohol session beer, truly amazing.
Appearance: Pours with a thick, creamy, light brown head that collapses only slightly and last until the bottom of the glass leaving rings of brown lace along the way. The color is an opaque black with dark brown highlights.
Flavor: The flavor is a mouth filling wave of roasted grain, dry with medium hop bitterness that does not interfere with the roasted barley flavor. Espresso and cocoa linger into a dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Creamy medium-light body with low carbonation.
Overall Impression: This beer is a show case of what can be done with unmalted barley. The roasted barley give a wonderful roasted espresso, cocoa flavor and the flaked barley in combination with the nitrogen draft gives a lush creamy character.
Comments: If Guinness is the benchmark, this stout exceeds the mark on all accounts but one; the lactic acid sourness. I know my Irish cousins will scream heresy, but in all honesty, this beer is better than Guinness and makes Murphy’s seem like a poor excuse for stout. The only thing I can think of that would make this beer better is a good soft lactobacillus culture.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%

this is one of my favorite stouts. an amazing cascading head that is very creamy and stays even after the beer is gone. rich chocolately flavors with coffee and some caramel. it doesnt leave any unpleasantness in your throat like some other irish stouts. even when drank out of a nitro-can, which usually kills most aromas and some flavor, it still tastes great and has decent aromas. a must try for any fan of guinness.

4.71/5  rDev +23.9%

rivals murphys for the best in ireland. rains up and pours looking like an oreo missing the top cookie. smooth, thick, creamy, malty, and a little more grainy than its fellow irish brews. honestly if you put beamish and murphys in a glass most people would not be able to taste the difference, but wait for that little grainy mouth feel in the aftertaste and youll catch it. great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Tasted this in various pubs in Cork, Ireland. Be sure to drink this in pubs like the Welcome Inn to get the full Irish experience.

Lots more taste than Guinness. And yes, it is better than Murphy's.

That said, Guinness is ok for a night of drinking, but Beamish is Stout how it's ment to be.

Buy it. Buy it now.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

This is such a yummy beer. The taste reminds me of carob. The head is very creamy, and lasts the entire time, much like a Guinness Draught. Very easy to drink. The flavor lends itself to being served cold (as opposed to some lesser beers that need to be served cold simply to mask their weakness). I definitely recommend this.

4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

I have been waiting for this to come back for a while.

A- very nice dark almost jet black with a thick creamy head

S- a little malty not much hops, really not too much in the smell department

T- burnt coffe , some faint chocolate not as much as I remember from before the break.Good balance of malt against just enough bitterness. Very good stout

M- silky smooth and even somewhat thin

D- Very Very high in my opinion, this is my all time favorite dry stout from Ireland. Better than Guinness to me and highly sessionable.

4.61/5  rDev +21.3%

A - Poured from a nitro tap into a pint glass. Black/dark brown in color, with a thick creamy off-white head. Left a lacing down the glass as it was consumed.

S - Clean smelling, with roasted coffee notes.

T - Smooth and easy drinking. Coffee/roasted notes without any astringency. A hint of bitterness to balance out the malt.

M - Creamy with medium body.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth and balanced enough to have more than one.

4.61/5  rDev +21.3%

Nitro can poured into a glass.

A- Pretty show. Nice full finger tannish head. Totally black. Dark as all get out. Slightly Reddish if you really look at it in the light. Perfect head. Perfect show. Sits like a beautiful painting.

S- Smell was like a malted carmel chocholate grown up drink. Slightly alcohol smell.

T- Good lord. What should I say. Its a straight forward Stout. Hints of chocolate. Malted grainy. Balanced with the alcohol taste. This is pretty much as good as it gets in my book. Not so coffee taste like Guinness.

M- Thick. Not super syrupy. Tasty. As close to perfect as it goes.

D- I drank one last night to become aquainted with it for this rating. And I drank one before the review and Im just now sipping the second. Perfect. Its extremely easy to drink. I drank this one slightly warmer than the last. And its hard to not drink in before it gets to that perfect temperature. Good warmer. Brings out the notes of chocolate. I could drink a 4 pack easily. Heavy though... :)

I bought a 4 pack for roughly $6.99.

I will buy this whenever I see it. Its rare here in the MO area. But Id beg for change till I got enough.

*Holds cardboard sign says: Needs change for Beamish. -God bless you*

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm going to write a short review for this one because not much needs to be said except this: "it's a stout as a stout should be." Take Guinness, and make it what you think it should be. Now you have a Beamish. I would give the Murphy's a bit of a higher score for more flavor but otherwise, this stout is very good.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Dark black color, non-transparent, 2 finger thick nitro head that slowly lowered to a thin cover

S- Coffee, chocolate, milky, roasted malts

T- Dark chocolate, dark coffee, milky, slightly smokey flavor, light bitter finish

M- Heavy weight, low/medium carbonation, nice nitro smoothness

D- Always a great stout

This will always be one of my favorite stouts. Never disappoints me no matter where I get it.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

...vs. Guinness Pub Draught in nitro-can. Wow! Pours black, with a thick two-finger off white head. Had to hold it up to the lamp to get any hint of ruby.

Smell is faint roasted malts. Taste is roasted malts, dark chocolate, traces of mocha. Extremely faint hints of can and nitro, not like Guinness in a can (which almost tastes over cooked). Thick, whereas Guinness cames off as rather thin. Smooth, tasty and enjoyable to drank. Easy to down a few of these.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

This beer, like any other nitro-can brew, looks great. Ink-black with the faintest ruby notes at the bottom of the glass. Beautiful, thick, tan pancake head that lingers forever with sparse lacing (probably because I drink the stuff down so fast it doesn't have a chance to stick to the glass). At the bottom of my (ahem!) Guinness pint glass, I still had a 1 1/2" head. Carbonation is mild. Could I tell the difference between Beamish, Murphy's and Guinness in a blind tasting? Sure, but I'd have to cross-train my tastebuds with some malt push-ups and and roasted barley sit-ups. This beer smells rich with roasted grains and coffee, and is probably closer in aroma to Guinness than Murphy's. The mouthfeel is luxuriously smooth, soft, and creamy with a medium body...highly drinkable. Uniquely, this brew has a definite roasted barley graininess, is clean of any metallic overtones, has a slightly more astringent black patent finish and mellower finishing hops. Starts with distinct roasted barley, fades into a mild malt background, and ends with both astringent black patent malt and perfectly balanced, smooth bittering hops. A subtle smoke and cigar ash note is detected towards the finish. Delicious...recommended over Guinness for it's subtle complexity.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

What can I say, I love this beer. Poured from a nitro can into a Guinness (what else?) pint glass. Pours the with the typical nitro cascading and settling into a dark brown-black, nearly opaque, beer with an super nice and creamy tan head. Coffee hints in the aroma. Excellent mouthfeel, very creamy, I think more so than its twin brother Guinness. Taste is chocolate, coffe and roasted malt with only a slight bitterness - again with the bitter bite and sourness of its twin. The creamy, slightly sweet aftertaste lingers. The lacing on this beer is amazing. What else to say, if you like Irish Souts, you will not be disappointed. Just as good as good ol' Guiness, but different is also better.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance - Dark chocolate-brown in color. Poured with a one-finger tan dense head that remained for what could very well be years. Very find light carbonation. Fills and settles like a Guinness.

Smell - Woody aroma with a good malt presence. Very muted aroma. Doesn't really jump out at you.

Taste - Very malty taste. Not a whole lot of carbonation to detract (or add for that matter) to the overall offering. Smooth finish as well with a very light bite. Almost none actually to speak of. pull.

Mouthfeel - Very dense body to this beer with it all coming from the beer itself and not from the carbonation. Always a benefit.

Drinkability - When you drink a Beamish you can help but compare it to a Guinness. You shouldn't, but you do, for good reason. Both, in my opinion are fine examples of the style. In my opinion, I would drink a Beamish over a Guinness if given the choice. Goes down very smooth and leaves you wanting more. I find the finish of the Beamish to be what wins me over.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big light tan head falls through itself into a clear black colored stout.

Rich roasted to smokey roasted malt aroma.

The taste is the same think smokey roasted coffee and chocolate mixed malts. A very full bodied beer with a nice head that settles into a very nice lacing.

A pleasant dry roasted coffeeish aftertaste.

Now this is beer, damn good stuff, I got to try this with a scoop of Ice Cream, probably end up being my favorite dessert.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

This was an exceptional beer for me especially on st pats day in Chicago.

it had a very dark color almost midnight black with a hint of red in the light.
The smell was the same as a guiness or any other dry stout. A light malty smell with well the sense that it is mass produced.
The taste was exceptional and smooth it is not to far above guiness but if you like that then you will love this. Guess i am a little biased since i have irish roots.
The mouth feel was amazing also just smooth and not bitter with just a touch of carbonation makes for an easy beer to just hold and enjoy.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

I'm not by any means a professional reviewer. I'm just writing this review, because I want people to try this excellent stout if they are in Ireland. You can't get it in our country at all (you can get Guinness on tap just fine).

I had this everyday for two weeks while I was in Dublin, and it's pretty much one of the main reasons why I would want to go back.

A: It looks simply awesome. Deep brown/blackish with a semi thick head.
S: You can smell ground coffee mostly, it's not very distinct.
T: It's never watery, always full taste with freshly brewed coffee in the back, retains the taste all through the pint.

I was expecting Guinness to steal the show, because I heard it was much better in Ireland, but that just wasnt' the case. It didn't taste any different then at home. Beamish is a stellar Irish Stout, and probably the best local beer you can have. Don't miss it.

I'm sorry if my review wasn't any good, It's just a layman's opinion.

4.51/5  rDev +18.7%

What could be better in 95 degree heat than an Irish Stout? On draft at Branagan's in Fullerton, it has that trademark nitro-stout look to it. Not as rich in coffee flavor as I remembered it from the can, but more addictive on draft for some reason. Just like Murphy's on draft, if I had a bigger wallet, I could line the bar with empty pint glasses.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours out a dark ruby (almost black body) with a moderate sized, creamy nitro head. Leaves some nice lacing. Nose is kind of light from the nitro, but there is a nice presence of roast, dried fruit and a little hint of smoke. Taste really blows Guinness and Murphy's out of the water. I get chocolate, dried fruit, smoke, ash, coffee and wet, sweet tobacco. For what it is it does its job well. Mouthfeel isn't as creamy as the other nitro stouts (which IMO is a plus as it doesn't have such an artificial feel). There really aren't many bubbles on the tongue. Great drinkability. This has always been my preference amongst the 3 big nitro stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

We totally received a case of this by mistake at the ABC where I work so I took it as a sign from the beer gods to go ahead and give this one a try. Served it slighty chilled in my Samuel Smith pub glass. Poured a powerful midnight black color with a rapid expanding cocoa brown head. Smell was of roasted malts with some cocoa powder and brewed coffee. Taste was smooth as silk (thank you nitrogen bubbles) with heavy baker's chocolate in the front and light, sweet, roasted malts on the dry finish. I could see knocking back a few of these on St. Pat's day.

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.