Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beamish Irish Stout - Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beamish Irish Stout Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -13.2%

Pint draft consumed in a pub in Kinsale whose name escapes me at the moment. As good a dry stout as I've had, though I will say I have much less experience with stouts than with other beer styles. Quite pleasant and a beer I would definitely drink again. (254 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chocolate ruby - pale - with a rock solid creamy beige nitro head. 3.75
Roasty sweetness, clotted cream, and sour mulch on the nose. 4
Chocolate chip cookie dough, a mild molasses hit, then vague branchy hop hit. 3.5
Root beer and slightly drying linger.
Thin, soft, slight tin. 3.5

Shows well, if too light, and it’s certainly a sweet, round and tasty drop. It’s just not particularly to style - understrength roasty bite, no hop bitterness, and missing that clean (i.e. the dry in Dry Stout) another-round-please finish. More like a low ABV, “nutritious” British milk or oatmeal stout - very drinkable, but very forgettable, too. 3.5

I also find it hilarious that this rates a full .3 pts higher here than Guinness Draught when this is just as macro, but cheaper. Careful, BAs, your hate is showing...

*from notes (827 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice stout. Wouldn't take it over a Guinness, if you're choosing popular stouts in Ireland, but it's good for a change. A nice burnt, bitter taste to it. The head on the beer is quite nice. Overall, would definitely drink again. (228 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Truely the best Irish stout. Upon the first sup one cannot help but fall in love with the spicy and cinnamon flavour that it has to offer beyond the white foamy head, which lasts way longer than the Guinness head. Best place to sample this delightful Irish stout is in its homeland of Cork. (290 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nitro-tap at O'Neill's Bar & Restaurant, Dublin, Ireland

A: The beer is close to being jet black in color – when held up to a bright light, only traces of reddish amber are visible near the edge of the glass. It poured with a finger high creamy tan head that has superior retention properties and hardly died down.
S: Light aromas of roasted malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of dry, roasted malts and a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied, creamy, somewhat dry, and smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink, especially due to its light-bodied nature. (642 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Tough to find these days. Great, wonderful, spectacular Irish beer. I love it anyway I can get it. Nice change from Guinness and Murphy's just cause, why not? Was my first pint in Ireland at the Shannon airport directly off the red eye flight from Boston. Instant love with this beer. Not as available, really anyway compared to Guinness or Murphy's but that is what you beer snob dweebs are pretty much into, yeah? Go out getcha some Beamish!!! (If you can find it! And let me know where in the US it was found!) (513 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

Ireland's finest stout, much nicer than Guinness. I could drink a dozen of these and still want more. Personally I find it more refreshing and easier to drink than the world famous Guinness. If in Ireland, I would reccomend buying one of these before Guinness, they are just as widely availible as the other legendary stout. It is famous for being slightly cheaper too. I wouldn't buy this from a can or bottle though, completely different drink. (446 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Tasted this in various pubs in Cork, Ireland. Be sure to drink this in pubs like the Welcome Inn to get the full Irish experience.

Lots more taste than Guinness. And yes, it is better than Murphy's.

That said, Guinness is ok for a night of drinking, but Beamish is Stout how it's ment to be.

Buy it. Buy it now. (314 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown-black pour, nitro bubbles cascaded along the glass, settling as a firm, creamy, tan cap that retained well. Roasted malts in the nose, coffee notes, and not much else. Pretty standard stuff for the style. Taste was malty and dry, woody, coffee bitterness, and some unsweetened chocolate. Pretty smooth mouthfeel, medium body, a decent beer. The poor man's Guinness. (376 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

I'm not by any means a professional reviewer. I'm just writing this review, because I want people to try this excellent stout if they are in Ireland. You can't get it in our country at all (you can get Guinness on tap just fine).

I had this everyday for two weeks while I was in Dublin, and it's pretty much one of the main reasons why I would want to go back.

A: It looks simply awesome. Deep brown/blackish with a semi thick head.
S: You can smell ground coffee mostly, it's not very distinct.
T: It's never watery, always full taste with freshly brewed coffee in the back, retains the taste all through the pint.

I was expecting Guinness to steal the show, because I heard it was much better in Ireland, but that just wasnt' the case. It didn't taste any different then at home. Beamish is a stellar Irish Stout, and probably the best local beer you can have. Don't miss it.

I'm sorry if my review wasn't any good, It's just a layman's opinion. (951 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Had immediately after a guinness on tap in Dublin Ireland
Reviewed July 15th, 2012

A: Head a hair more porous than the Guinness, but also extremely creamy though a hair less.
S: Red ale, a hair tart with some cream brought, bright on top
T: In the direction of a red ale, feels more alcoholic than the guinness, there's a bit of pepper spice in it, flavor is more forward, toastedness is clear with a bit of tang.
M: pretty smooth with a little zip of carbonation.
O: Combination of "cream" and "red" ale qualities. (516 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Located this at Peters Pub in Dublin after searching at all the pubs I had been to.

From a outside perspective prior to taste this could be Guinness.

Once you taste it, it clearly is not Guinness. Quite a bit more hop bitterness and a ton more strong porter like flavors. Lots of coffee and dryness. I enjoyed having something other than Guinness and I would drink it again. If we had the option in the states, I'd probably just drink Guinness. (448 characters)

On tap. Roasted and heavy malt aromas. Pours black, with a nice tan head, long-lasting, creamy, some lacework. Medium body and low carbonation. Taste is malty, coffee, chocolate and some roasty. Nice dry finish. Looks like a stout should, with a fine off white thick head, which stays until the last drop of beer has gone. Quite a nice beer. (341 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Served from a nitro tap into a pint glass.
Aroma: The aroma is espresso-like roasted barley with hints of cocoa. You’ll be surprised by how strong the aroma is from this relatively low alcohol session beer, truly amazing.
Appearance: Pours with a thick, creamy, light brown head that collapses only slightly and last until the bottom of the glass leaving rings of brown lace along the way. The color is an opaque black with dark brown highlights.
Flavor: The flavor is a mouth filling wave of roasted grain, dry with medium hop bitterness that does not interfere with the roasted barley flavor. Espresso and cocoa linger into a dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Creamy medium-light body with low carbonation.
Overall Impression: This beer is a show case of what can be done with unmalted barley. The roasted barley give a wonderful roasted espresso, cocoa flavor and the flaked barley in combination with the nitrogen draft gives a lush creamy character.
Comments: If Guinness is the benchmark, this stout exceeds the mark on all accounts but one; the lactic acid sourness. I know my Irish cousins will scream heresy, but in all honesty, this beer is better than Guinness and makes Murphy’s seem like a poor excuse for stout. The only thing I can think of that would make this beer better is a good soft lactobacillus culture. (1,319 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Murphy's Bar, High Street Galway, Eire into a Beamish pint glass

Dark black with a finger of off-white head.

Nice aroma from this stout, roasted malt and a fair dose of coffee, packs a punch to the nose when contrasted with Guinness!

Good rich roasted malt taste a little smokey perhaps and still that hint of coffee coming over and throw in a little chocolate

Thinnish in body, creamy in the mouth, went down well

In summary this was the first time I'd had a pint of Beamish for some 15 years or so and I quite enjoyed it

This was partly due to a succession of 'ok' pints of it's blander cousin Guinness, but next time in the 'old country' I will definetly seek Beamish out again! (705 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have to give high marks to this stout. It was better than the Guinness that I got while at the Guinness Brewery.
A- Perfect, for a stout.
S- Roasted barley/ coffee. Obvious.
T- Smooth and delicious. The roasted malt comes through and the sweetness follows it.
M- Perfectly carbonated. Great serving temperature helped.
O- Very impressive. I want another. Six. (361 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Breakfast. The beautiful lass that poured this as my breakfast will, no doubt, skew my review. I wrote our initials in the thick head. As I quaffed this brew the initials survived to the bottom of the glass. I swear I could taste banana. Slightly sweet, heavenly aroma, the tantalizing flavors danced on all areas of my tongue with the exception of sour. Whoops! Time for brunch...I'll have another! (399 characters)

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a creamy surging head on top. These beers look beautiful every time. The lacing is just like a Guinness or Murphy's. The smell is a toasted and earthy. The flavor is roasted with a good amount of nut and earthy flavors. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Overall this beer is one I would love to have again. I had one can of this in 2008 and kind of miss it. One day it'll find it's way back to my fridge. (454 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big light tan head falls through itself into a clear black colored stout.

Rich roasted to smokey roasted malt aroma.

The taste is the same think smokey roasted coffee and chocolate mixed malts. A very full bodied beer with a nice head that settles into a very nice lacing.

A pleasant dry roasted coffeeish aftertaste.

Now this is beer, damn good stuff, I got to try this with a scoop of Ice Cream, probably end up being my favorite dessert. (444 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%

Out of the "Big 3" in Ireland (Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish), Beamish is definitely my favorite.

A- Nothing looks better than a properly poured stout.
S- Smokey, roasted.
T- Tastes like it smells. Delicious.
M-Nice and smooth. Not a heavy heavy beer but each sip has some heft to it.

I lived in Cork Ireland for 6 months and had literally hundreds of these on tap. Absolutely love it. I've also had it from the can a few times, and while still good, it's not the same, of course. If you're ever in southern Ireland do yourself a favor and have the local brew. (567 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%

Had on Nitro Tap at a Bar in Dublin -- The Black Lion

A: Coal black liquid with ruby highlights when held to the light. A finger thick layer of head that left a lot of lacing down the glass.

S: Slight spicy and fruit aromas, they were hard to perceive given the thick nitro head.

T: Sweet, some very subtle spicy notes that I assume are esters, and mild roasted notes, not as much as I would expect from the style but pleasant.

M: Full and creamy, effect of the nitro. Can't really feel the carbonation.

O: Pleasant, not something I want everyday but pleasant. (566 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 440ml nitro-can into a pint glass. This stout poured a deep brown/black color with a thick, creamy, tan, nitro induced head that would not fade. Some light lacing was left around the glass. The aroma of this stout consisted of both sweet and roasted malt, mild coffee, and a few chocolate notes. The flavor was very creamy with notes of light milk chocolate and coffee. The roasted malt flavor was very mild when compared to other dry stouts. The mouthfeel was light-bodied with typical nitro creaminess and minimal carbonation. This was a decent, and very sessionable stout. (589 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had @ The Comet in Santry, Dublin.

Similar to Guinness in appearance and initial taste. However, Beamish has an almost spicy finish and its drinkability is not as high as Guinness.

Overall a great Irish Stout and a nice change from Guinness (and I think cheaper 3.50 euro vs. 4.50 euro for Guinness) (301 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: onyx body with oatmeal one finger head, nice lacing.

S: roasted barley + nuts, slightly smokey aroma.

T: same as nose, but include mild chocolate flavor.

M: nice smooth med/heavy body stout. very little carbonation.

D: If you like Guinness, give this a try. Personally, I prefer this stout over Guinness, but maybe I'm saying that since I have had tons of Guinness and only about 8 of these in my life.
I could drink no more than a few in a sitting. (459 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a very dark brown/black with a large creamy tan head that stays aloft forever. The nose is a sweet malt, chocolate, a little roast, coffee. The taste is close to the nose but the roast is a bit more forward in the flavor. A bit dry and slightly bitter on the back end.

The mouthfeel is fairly thin and creamy - that sounds like a contradiction but I am sticking to my statement. Overall easily drinkable and pleasant. (424 characters)

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.