Beamish Irish Stout - Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beamish Irish Stout Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
Ratings: 748 | Reviews: 548
4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

This stout had a good appearance, a nice aroma, and a flavorful first sip. I did find it a bit heavy, but I was expecting a little more smoothness. I found the typical coffee note, with a woody and caramel flavor. I recommend to the Guiness enthusiast.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Poured extremely dark with amber tones when held to the light. Head of about 1/2 inch maintained for the duration with decent lacing.

S: Chocolate and coffee smells dominate with some hop aroma present.

T: Much like other dry stouts I've tried. Might be a little sweeter than Guinness et al.

M: Smooth with little carb feel due to nitro widget. Dry finish.

D: Very drinkable...Should have invested in the 4 pack instead of the single.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Looks almost exactly like a Guinness, dark espresso to black with a nice head on it.

Smells hoppy and chocolatey, very enjoyable and lighter than it looks.

Taste is similar to smell in that it is lighter than it looks. Goes down very smooth with a nice malty aftertaste. Easy to drink

I liked the creaminess of it and the way it went down easily.

A good beer alternative. I keep comparing to Guinness and although not as good it is a very nice beer. Kinda like a Guinness light or something, recommend at least trying.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Tough to find these days. Great, wonderful, spectacular Irish beer. I love it anyway I can get it. Nice change from Guinness and Murphy's just cause, why not? Was my first pint in Ireland at the Shannon airport directly off the red eye flight from Boston. Instant love with this beer. Not as available, really anyway compared to Guinness or Murphy's but that is what you beer snob dweebs are pretty much into, yeah? Go out getcha some Beamish!!! (If you can find it! And let me know where in the US it was found!)

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass.

The nitro can really helps with the pour, and seeing the stout cascading is pretty satisfying.

A great looking beer. Great smelling too, with a good amount of head. A very strong taste of burned toast, but in a very good way, and each gulp washes over the taste buds pleasantly.

This would easily be my go to stout if it were still widely available, but right now it's a little tough to find. Much better than Guinness.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

Call me crazy but I think this is the best Irish stout out there. For some reason getting harder and harder to find, at least by me. Everything is the same as a guinness except I think it has a smoother, creamier taste. If you haven't tried it buy a four pack and give it a shot. Makes nice for car bombs.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

I've been drinking Beamish for quite some time and I prefer it to most other Irish Stouts. It's not quite as dry and has a nice creamy feel to it, especially on that first sip. It's smooth all the way to the finish. If you can find this on tap even better but the nitro-can works very well.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Very dark, almost black color in a pint glass with a slight amber color around the edges. Creamy head.

S- Roasted smell, very faint.

T- Roasted coffee and chocolate flavors and not too bitter.

M- I feel this beer is a bit heavier than Guinness.

D- A nice Irish stout. I like the lower carbonation this beer has as well. It makes for repeat consumption easier. I purchased a 4 pack and drank them all in a session.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Was in Ireland few days ago so I had to try out all the dry stouts I could.

This is close to the darkest Irish stout I have had. It looked great!

The roasted barley is amazing. As opposed to the traditional Irish stout, this one has much more flavor. Hints of roasted nuts and spices and a coffee like taste as well. This comes across in the smell as well.

The drinkability is quite good. I appreciated its full flavor and smell much more than the 'other' stout found in every Irish bar.

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

Ireland's finest stout, much nicer than Guinness. I could drink a dozen of these and still want more. Personally I find it more refreshing and easier to drink than the world famous Guinness. If in Ireland, I would reccomend buying one of these before Guinness, they are just as widely availible as the other legendary stout. It is famous for being slightly cheaper too. I wouldn't buy this from a can or bottle though, completely different drink.

Hands down my favorite Stout.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Truely the best Irish stout. Upon the first sup one cannot help but fall in love with the spicy and cinnamon flavour that it has to offer beyond the white foamy head, which lasts way longer than the Guinness head. Best place to sample this delightful Irish stout is in its homeland of Cork.

3.61/5  rDev -5%

had this beer yesterday on tap for the first time. I have had it in a can numerous times, like always draught brings out the best in a beer. very creamy head lingered longer than Guiness. smell never much in a stout I think.
taste: roasted malts hints of coffee
drinkability: great
one good thing about stouts is low alc. content i can enjoy a few more

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Similar to Guinness but with a few differences. It's opaque dark brown with an off-white creamy head. Less head retention than Guinness, but there's nice lacing. Can smell some chocolate, some roasted coffee and grain aromas and definite malts, typical of an Irish stout. Tastes creamy. Roasted grain character especially noticeable on finish. Kind of sweet, followed by bitter finish. A bit lighter than expected. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, very little carbonation and medium-bodied. Overall it's smooth and easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

I experienced a Beamish on tap (many times) when I took a trip to Ireland last summer. It was my favorite of the "Big Three" in Ireland and is a must have on tap on the Emerald Isle at least once in a lifetime. Sadly, it is no longer exported to the US as of this review on tap.

Appearance- Wonderful appearance just like both Murphy and Guinness. This is the staple look for a stout beer. Dark, dark body with a very creamy tan head. In a cold pint glass, its a thing of beauty. The ceremony around letting the head form is also a great experience.

Smell- Very malty, can smell a hint of the burnt hops. Slightly yeasty smell coming from the head.

Taste- The creamy head touches the upper lip and the beer hits the tongue, then there is a flood of cooling and refreshing Irish heritage bursting onto the palette. Deep malt, slightly burnt hops and nuts, but very smooth and extremely balanced.

Mouthfeel- Feels wonderful and flows very well. Medium bodied, but drinks like a lighter beer. It feels like a stout should with a very smooth finish.

Drinkability- Its a heavier beer in the stomach. It can be enjoyed over a lengthy period of time, but can make one feel full if taken too quickly. The smooth and lighter feel while drinking can confuse one into drinking too much at once and can give a full stomach quite fast.

Overall, a great beer and highly recommended to any stout lover.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Saw this is in the store on sale so I figured I would give it a try. Pours nice, good color, nice head. Rich smell that reminds me of other stouts I have had. Very nice black appearance. Reminds me of Guinness, but maybe a little lower on the scale. Very good for the price, however. Very smooth, nice on the palate, though I may have had it a touch too cold. Overall I enjoyed. Go for it if you like stouts.

3.12/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours dark opaque black with a dense, creamy head into a pint glass -- though surprised the widget did not make the head taller. Red cherry peeks through when you hold it up to the light. Very faint smell with only notes of malt -- biscuit and caramel. Nice thick, creamy mouthfeel. Taste is malty up front with a bit of sweetness, matching the smell, and finishes with roasted, smoky flavor. Not too much bitterness until you are done swallowing, at which point it's the only taste left in your mouth. No taste of alcohol. Very similar to a Guinness but with more smokiness. For me this is an OK example of the style, but not something I would drink a six pack of, and without the complexity I would normally go for.

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%

Out of the "Big 3" in Ireland (Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish), Beamish is definitely my favorite.

A- Nothing looks better than a properly poured stout.
S- Smokey, roasted.
T- Tastes like it smells. Delicious.
M-Nice and smooth. Not a heavy heavy beer but each sip has some heft to it.

I lived in Cork Ireland for 6 months and had literally hundreds of these on tap. Absolutely love it. I've also had it from the can a few times, and while still good, it's not the same, of course. If you're ever in southern Ireland do yourself a favor and have the local brew.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into Becker glass from widget can.

A - Nice dark color, with no opacity to speak of. Rich and black, with about two fingers of latte-colored foam.

S - Very much like a dark beer should smell. Coffee undertones, with a rich, almost burnt malt aroma.

T - Mellow for a stout, but still retains the classic "burnt malt" taste. Light coffee tones, with nice sharp bitterness. The aftertaste is almost nonexistent, but the slightness of it is pleasant.

M - Smooth, with a little bit of carbonation. The head is creamy, and enjoyable to the palate.

D - This beer drinks well, but is a little heavy for a stout. Not something to be chugged, or thrown into a Carbomb, for sure. Enjoy this beer and sip it smooth.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Tasted this in various pubs in Cork, Ireland. Be sure to drink this in pubs like the Welcome Inn to get the full Irish experience.

Lots more taste than Guinness. And yes, it is better than Murphy's.

That said, Guinness is ok for a night of drinking, but Beamish is Stout how it's ment to be.

Buy it. Buy it now.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

My experience with this beer comes from an Irish Pub in center city Philly... I've had Beamish two times and each time I have had it, it leaves me wanting more. It is honestly the best stout I have ever had. After an early experience with Guiness and not quite liking that, I thought I would never enjoy a stout again. But this certainly proved me wrong.

The bar tender brought it over and it was a cloudy dark brown/black looking to start. The cloudiness majestically rolled up the glass forming a nice thick foamy head. The smell I got was of coffee/chocolate with a nice smokey undertone. The first taste is by far the best. The combination of the taste of the creamy head and then the dark rich stout is a symphony in the mouth. It hits your mouth and you do not want to put it down. Its very smooth and extremely satisfying. A bit bitter but nothing unbearable. The bitterness fades into a beautiful chocolate aftertaste that is just fantastic.

This stout is reccomended for those who do not like a real bitter tasting beer. There is a bitter taste but it is very slight,and very enjoyable. The aftertaste is really to die for.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer has a very thick and creamy taste to it.

The aroma of Chocolate and little bit of coffee makes the mouth water.

It has a very nice thick creamy colored head.

This beer is great out of a can or glass.

Defiantly a beer you can drink more than one of.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes Guinness, Murphy's or any other creamy styled Stout.

What an incredible stout. Love it so much

« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.