Theakston Old Peculier - T & R Theakston Ltd.

Theakston Old PeculierTheakston Old Peculier

T & R Theakston Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Old Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theakston Old Peculier Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

2.28/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours out proper dirty brown with amber edges and an off-white ring. Lacing when one shifts the glass. Smell is strongly of roasted malts, almost stout like...I don't care for the effect on an old ale.

Taste is mainly roasted malts, again...this reminds me more of a stout or a porter than the old ale that this purports to be. There are other factors involved...some grainy aspects and a slightly spicy effect from the hops but it isn't very strong and is definitely sub-average for an old ale.

Mouth on this is terrible, it's almost water like...this reminds me more of a macro beer than a micro one in this category...

Drinkability on it is decent. It's not a hard beer to drink in terms of its heaviness, but it isn't one that really draws me back for repeat sips either.

Overall, this beer was a profound disappointment and I would almost call its categorisation false advertising. I shall not be buying this one again.

2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

Strong malty aroma. Poured to a dark brown with trace of ruby, and a slight, tan head that diminished soon after. Taste was very strong malt and chocolate, and very fizzy. Left a dry, bitter (not good) finish. Don't know how this scores so high with a lot of raters, but I'm unimpressed with this one.

2.38/5  rDev -39.9%

Brown ale/old ale nutty, brown appearance. Smells like the fruits your grandma eats. . . and brewer's use to make their "weird" beers. . . plums, raisins, ugh.

Taste is like an imperial brown. No hops, high alcohol on the palate (way higher than the abv would suggest), nutty, not thick viscosity wise. Brown mead without the sweetness. Or maybe some tea w/ alcohol in it. I'm not an old ale guy, but I have had North Coast's and it isn't my favorite, but its got something going for it in my book at least. Same w/ Port's anniversary beer. Somewhat astringent, which at times, is welcome, given that the other flavors don't resonate as much.

2.45/5  rDev -38.1%

Geez, don't want to be a nay sayer here, but that's the way of it. Had some of my friends and it was no great shakes. Had a small, short lived head with no lace. Very dark cherry wood color. Light malt nose. Flavor's about the same with some distinct hop. Thin body with ok carbonation. Slight buttery finish. Hint of alcohol. Bottle version was much better.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

Bottle into Harp pint glass in low altitude Belfast, Northern Ireland.

A: Pours a dark black, non-transparent, with a three finger head of lovely cream and fair thickness.

Sm: Chocolate. Nutty. Hoppy.

T: Nutty but simple. Strange hoppy finish isn't particularly pleasant. This is my first experience with the style, so I don't know if it's built well. There's a lovely cream taste on the open and even in the finish, but it doesn't quite balance the body, which is a bit bland. I wish I'd served it colder.

Mf: Nicely coarse yet adequately smooth and dry.

Dr: Hides its ABV well. Very cheap in Belfast. I'd like to try other beers in the style before coming back to this one.

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

Okay, I have been to England now three times, last just this past March. To the guy that was surprised by an english beer not being good, try going over there and hanging in a local(and I mean local, not tourist trap)pub. You'll find plenty of "miss congenialty". Theakson on tap over there didn't necessary thrill me.

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

pours a cola color. chunky mixed-bubbled head dies down quickly.

smells not like hops or malt, but spices like anise or coriander, but very faint.

taste is... a dry beer cola. think RC without the sugar or high carbonation. honestly if I had this from a 2 liter bottle or can I wouldn't have figured out it was beer until I was a 1/4 way into my glass.

mouthfeel is mineraly, which fits with the cola-ish style. very wet and thin, like dilute flat cola. less acidic, but still along those lines.

this is drinkable; but it's still... cola. I just can't shake the cola connection here.

I don't get it. this is supposed to be an old ale yet it has none of the nice beerish qualities of an old ale, like MALT perhaps? it tastes like a mass-manufactured alcoholic "malternative" soft drink. I'd much rather have a flanders old ale, german alt, or HOTD adam over this anyday.

oh well. it is peculier, and I can see its draw, but it's not for me.

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

a: almost black with hints of brown showing around edges, very little head that disappears almost completely
s: sweet plum smell with strong alcohol smell
t: barley taste mixed with light coffee-ish taste, but not as tasty as expected, has a sweet taste on the very back-end as well
m: burning carbonation right away, but finishes smoothly with a light to medium body
d: a decent beer at best that just didn't deliver

2.74/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a dark brownish, ruby colour with a tanned head that dissipates to nothing. Looks like a flat coke.

S - Roasted chocolate, coffee sweet malts even a little liquorice.

T - Get lots of the roasted chocolate, coffee with a very mild bitterness at the finish

M - Medium bodied with very little carbonation

O - An average ale that lacks real flavour. Seems fairly flat and rather disappointing.

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours dark reddish brown with off white head which dissipates quickly into a thin film. Aroma is malty, smells like dark fruits, maybe raisins and slightly roasted. Taste is mostly malty with some roasted flavor and hop bitterness. Creamy mouthfeel. In my opionion, this beer is too sweet. There just ins't enough roasted flavor, hops or alcohol to balance the sweetness.

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hallo everyone, I reviwed this yesterday but none of my favourites so I ll keep this brief:

A - Light brownish colour not cloudy not clear quite thin head that dissipates quickly

S - Some wheat some malt not bad

T - Similar o its smell - I like the wheat notes maybe some very fain chocolate

M - A bit flat really but not really smooth enough for a low carbonation beer

D - it is drinkable but not great so I probably wouldn t go there again any time soon

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Reviewed 1/12/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark red colored body, clearish looking, with a big foamy gray-white colored head, lasting. Has a malty watery aroma, odd. Almost newcastle skunky. Dusty, and musty. Sweet malty taste. Newcastle/Irish Red-like. Watery, somewhat musky.

2.85/5  rDev -28%

Pours a black liquid with a bit (a cm or so) of head. Aroma is a faint amount roastiness with a lot of red wine characteristics. Flavor is some roastiness with additional red wine fullness. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and somehow thick. I didn't find this very drinkable, and I didn't really enjoy this.

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured a ruddy brown with a chunky tan head. Dropped to a slight head. Some lacing present

Smell: Slight fruitiness

Taste: sweetness, some nutiness, and treacle flavors. Some molassess hints. Too sweet on the finish

MF: Slighltly prickly and thin

Drinkable enough. Inclined to think I got a bad bottle, but here in the middle of the country I seem to find a lot of "bad bottles" from across the pond. Call'em as I taste them. This was great over in the UK. cask or bottle. I'd say worth a try despite my rating. If the only thing I knew about this beer was this bottle that would be a different story!

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a beautiful reddish-brown color with a big off-white frothy head that lingers.

Aroma is malty with a roasted edge and maybe some carmel ?? Found it somewaht closed

Taste is what you would expect slight carmel and citrus notes in the aftertaste but overall average flavours for this style of beer.

Medium body bordering on being a little thin, but with a reasonable finish that gives a bit of length.

Very drinkable but was hoping for a bit more from this Old style Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer pours black with no head or lacing. The aroma is of licorice and anise, fairly plain. The flavor leads off with anise followed by a licorice and peppery finish, ordinary. It's mouthfeel is smooth but a bit watery for the style. Theakston Old Peculier is an average beer, recommended.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown color. A small tan head forms, but recedes fast. Light lace.
S: A rustic wood aroma, with some light bitter chocolate and roasted malt.
T: Very light roasted flavor with chocolate again. Some dry wood flavors. Not bad, but very bland IMO.
M/D: This has a very light body and dry. A bit to much carbonation. Thin and watery. Not really hard to drink considering I have had some Old Ales with nearly twice the alcohol. Though, it is just uninviting for me.

I was not impressed with this offering. It is not bad, just uninspired and bland.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer pours a deep brown, with no head, and no lacing. The aroma is slightly fruity, mostly a raisin smell. The taste is slight roasted malt, along with a dark raisin flavor, and a hint of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, this appears to be a sipping beer. I'm not sure what it is about the taste, but the mix, just doesnt do it for me. Its just an odd flavor.

Theakston Old Peculier from T & R Theakston Ltd.