1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Theakston Old Peculier - T & R Theakston Ltd.

Theakston Old PeculierTheakston Old Peculier

T & R Theakston Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Old Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2001)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theakston Old Peculier Alström Bros
Ratings: 860 | Reviews: 562 | Show All Ratings:
CortexBomb

2.28/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours out proper dirty brown with amber edges and an off-white ring. Lacing when one shifts the glass. Smell is strongly of roasted malts, almost stout like...I don't care for the effect on an old ale.

Taste is mainly roasted malts, again...this reminds me more of a stout or a porter than the old ale that this purports to be. There are other factors involved...some grainy aspects and a slightly spicy effect from the hops but it isn't very strong and is definitely sub-average for an old ale.

Mouth on this is terrible, it's almost water like...this reminds me more of a macro beer than a micro one in this category...

Drinkability on it is decent. It's not a hard beer to drink in terms of its heaviness, but it isn't one that really draws me back for repeat sips either.

Overall, this beer was a profound disappointment and I would almost call its categorisation false advertising. I shall not be buying this one again.

10-08-2005 00:41:37 | More by CortexBomb
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

Strong malty aroma. Poured to a dark brown with trace of ruby, and a slight, tan head that diminished soon after. Taste was very strong malt and chocolate, and very fizzy. Left a dry, bitter (not good) finish. Don't know how this scores so high with a lot of raters, but I'm unimpressed with this one.

07-06-2006 11:17:14 | More by kimcgolf
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.38/5  rDev -39.9%

Brown ale/old ale nutty, brown appearance. Smells like the fruits your grandma eats. . . and brewer's use to make their "weird" beers. . . plums, raisins, ugh.

Taste is like an imperial brown. No hops, high alcohol on the palate (way higher than the abv would suggest), nutty, not thick viscosity wise. Brown mead without the sweetness. Or maybe some tea w/ alcohol in it. I'm not an old ale guy, but I have had North Coast's and it isn't my favorite, but its got something going for it in my book at least. Same w/ Port's anniversary beer. Somewhat astringent, which at times, is welcome, given that the other flavors don't resonate as much.

06-29-2010 21:39:31 | More by Beerandraiderfan
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -38.1%

Geez, don't want to be a nay sayer here, but that's the way of it. Had some of my friends and it was no great shakes. Had a small, short lived head with no lace. Very dark cherry wood color. Light malt nose. Flavor's about the same with some distinct hop. Thin body with ok carbonation. Slight buttery finish. Hint of alcohol. Bottle version was much better.

01-15-2010 23:13:11 | More by drpimento
kojevergas

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

Bottle into Harp pint glass in low altitude Belfast, Northern Ireland.

A: Pours a dark black, non-transparent, with a three finger head of lovely cream and fair thickness.

Sm: Chocolate. Nutty. Hoppy.

T: Nutty but simple. Strange hoppy finish isn't particularly pleasant. This is my first experience with the style, so I don't know if it's built well. There's a lovely cream taste on the open and even in the finish, but it doesn't quite balance the body, which is a bit bland. I wish I'd served it colder.

Mf: Nicely coarse yet adequately smooth and dry.

Dr: Hides its ABV well. Very cheap in Belfast. I'd like to try other beers in the style before coming back to this one.

02-07-2011 01:12:09 | More by kojevergas
Wildman

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

Okay, I have been to England now three times, last just this past March. To the guy that was surprised by an english beer not being good, try going over there and hanging in a local(and I mean local, not tourist trap)pub. You'll find plenty of "miss congenialty". Theakson on tap over there didn't necessary thrill me.

05-08-2002 20:31:18 | More by Wildman
tfinn

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

pours a cola color. chunky mixed-bubbled head dies down quickly.

smells not like hops or malt, but spices like anise or coriander, but very faint.

taste is... a dry beer cola. think RC without the sugar or high carbonation. honestly if I had this from a 2 liter bottle or can I wouldn't have figured out it was beer until I was a 1/4 way into my glass.

mouthfeel is mineraly, which fits with the cola-ish style. very wet and thin, like dilute flat cola. less acidic, but still along those lines.

this is drinkable; but it's still... cola. I just can't shake the cola connection here.

I don't get it. this is supposed to be an old ale yet it has none of the nice beerish qualities of an old ale, like MALT perhaps? it tastes like a mass-manufactured alcoholic "malternative" soft drink. I'd much rather have a flanders old ale, german alt, or HOTD adam over this anyday.

oh well. it is peculier, and I can see its draw, but it's not for me.

08-07-2004 06:00:48 | More by tfinn
belgbeerdrinker

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

a: almost black with hints of brown showing around edges, very little head that disappears almost completely
s: sweet plum smell with strong alcohol smell
t: barley taste mixed with light coffee-ish taste, but not as tasty as expected, has a sweet taste on the very back-end as well
m: burning carbonation right away, but finishes smoothly with a light to medium body
d: a decent beer at best that just didn't deliver

04-11-2007 10:14:42 | More by belgbeerdrinker
PolarBear3

Australia

2.74/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a dark brownish, ruby colour with a tanned head that dissipates to nothing. Looks like a flat coke.

S - Roasted chocolate, coffee sweet malts even a little liquorice.

T - Get lots of the roasted chocolate, coffee with a very mild bitterness at the finish

M - Medium bodied with very little carbonation

O - An average ale that lacks real flavour. Seems fairly flat and rather disappointing.

06-10-2013 07:24:26 | More by PolarBear3
Dizzy

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours dark reddish brown with off white head which dissipates quickly into a thin film. Aroma is malty, smells like dark fruits, maybe raisins and slightly roasted. Taste is mostly malty with some roasted flavor and hop bitterness. Creamy mouthfeel. In my opionion, this beer is too sweet. There just ins't enough roasted flavor, hops or alcohol to balance the sweetness.

08-23-2006 01:19:01 | More by Dizzy
DerBayer

Germany

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hallo everyone, I reviwed this yesterday but none of my favourites so I ll keep this brief:

A - Light brownish colour not cloudy not clear quite thin head that dissipates quickly

S - Some wheat some malt not bad

T - Similar o its smell - I like the wheat notes maybe some very fain chocolate

M - A bit flat really but not really smooth enough for a low carbonation beer

D - it is drinkable but not great so I probably wouldn t go there again any time soon

07-03-2009 17:59:12 | More by DerBayer
jujubeast6000

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Reviewed 1/12/2008 (bottle):

Pours a very dark red colored body, clearish looking, with a big foamy gray-white colored head, lasting. Has a malty watery aroma, odd. Almost newcastle skunky. Dusty, and musty. Sweet malty taste. Newcastle/Irish Red-like. Watery, somewhat musky.

03-06-2009 04:36:28 | More by jujubeast6000
BeerBelcher

2.85/5  rDev -28%

Pours a black liquid with a bit (a cm or so) of head. Aroma is a faint amount roastiness with a lot of red wine characteristics. Flavor is some roastiness with additional red wine fullness. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and somehow thick. I didn't find this very drinkable, and I didn't really enjoy this.

04-01-2007 23:10:18 | More by BeerBelcher
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured a ruddy brown with a chunky tan head. Dropped to a slight head. Some lacing present

Smell: Slight fruitiness

Taste: sweetness, some nutiness, and treacle flavors. Some molassess hints. Too sweet on the finish

MF: Slighltly prickly and thin

Drinkable enough. Inclined to think I got a bad bottle, but here in the middle of the country I seem to find a lot of "bad bottles" from across the pond. Call'em as I taste them. This was great over in the UK. cask or bottle. I'd say worth a try despite my rating. If the only thing I knew about this beer was this bottle that would be a different story!

02-16-2006 05:33:44 | More by russpowell
Timadae

Ireland

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a beautiful reddish-brown color with a big off-white frothy head that lingers.

Aroma is malty with a roasted edge and maybe some carmel ?? Found it somewaht closed

Taste is what you would expect slight carmel and citrus notes in the aftertaste but overall average flavours for this style of beer.

Medium body bordering on being a little thin, but with a reasonable finish that gives a bit of length.

Very drinkable but was hoping for a bit more from this Old style Ale.

08-04-2012 20:30:33 | More by Timadae
beeragent

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer pours a deep brown, with no head, and no lacing. The aroma is slightly fruity, mostly a raisin smell. The taste is slight roasted malt, along with a dark raisin flavor, and a hint of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, this appears to be a sipping beer. I'm not sure what it is about the taste, but the mix, just doesnt do it for me. Its just an odd flavor.

04-14-2007 08:20:55 | More by beeragent
champ103

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

A: Pours a dark ruby brown color. A small tan head forms, but recedes fast. Light lace.
S: A rustic wood aroma, with some light bitter chocolate and roasted malt.
T: Very light roasted flavor with chocolate again. Some dry wood flavors. Not bad, but very bland IMO.
M/D: This has a very light body and dry. A bit to much carbonation. Thin and watery. Not really hard to drink considering I have had some Old Ales with nearly twice the alcohol. Though, it is just uninviting for me.

I was not impressed with this offering. It is not bad, just uninspired and bland.

10-31-2008 16:50:17 | More by champ103
B967ierhunter177

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer pours black with no head or lacing. The aroma is of licorice and anise, fairly plain. The flavor leads off with anise followed by a licorice and peppery finish, ordinary. It's mouthfeel is smooth but a bit watery for the style. Theakston Old Peculier is an average beer, recommended.

09-20-2012 01:54:06 | More by B967ierhunter177
AgentMunky

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Served in a pint glass.

A: Dark, dark ruby. Creamy head tries to cling to to the sides of the glass.

S: Slightly fruity sour.

T: Hrm. Peculiar. Sour, watery, and not that great. The endtaste is a little creamy-sweet with a citrus tinge. The aftertaste is bland but mildly bitter.

M: Not bad. Smooth and tart.

D: Smooth and plain; it's alright. Ultimately, it's too odd and not to my taste.

11-06-2010 19:37:13 | More by AgentMunky
PeatReek

OK, I've come to think old ale is one of my favorite styles, let's see what I think of one of the classics of the genre...

Appearance: is it bottle conditioned? little trails of yeast down the neck towards the end of the (rather rough) pour. The body is straight brown, so thick it's opaque. Head is moderately thick and quite rocky.

Aroma: caramel, wood, smoke, and a slight sweet tinge. Very nice, I can't wait to dig in.

Taste & mouthfeel: both taste and mouthfeel are a little thinner than I'd been expecting from the appearance and scent. Sip is bittersweet throughout, with a bit too much carbonation to let me really savor the malt. Slightly earthy aftertaste.

Drinkability: I could smell this beer all night, but the drinking... not so much.

03-09-2006 03:47:27 | More by PeatReek
Seumas

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -23%

Old Peculier is odd in being one of the few ales I know that I've always found to taste better from the bottle than it does on cask.

I think its the carbonation in the bottled product drying out the beer, which improves taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. This is an ale that I have so loved in the bottle that I have dragged case after case of it home whenever the Liquor Control Board brought it into Ontario. It's also an ale that has never failed to disappoint me when I tryed it on cask. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it's overly sweet and (oddly) slightly thin on cask. [2006-11-18: Maybe it was just that the body has changed, over the years. My overall rating hasn't changed, but now I discover that the bottled product seems to have thinned down, as well - at least that imported to Waltham MA.]

There's still the lovely aroma and flavour of Christmas pudding, but not as rich and dry [though now thin] as it is from the bottle.

09-10-2003 04:06:00 | More by Seumas
TYE

Kansas

3.05/5  rDev -23%

A - Pours dark brown with a caramel glow. A bubbly head stands a 1-1.5 finders tall, but dissipates quickly to barely a covering with no lace.
S - Aroma of caramel with roasted nuts. Slightly alcoholic and chocolatey. Aroma varies each whiff from light to medium in strength.
T - Light flavor of roasted nuts with a hint of caramel. The flavor starts off weak and ends non-existent. Very little hop bitterness.
M - Medium to high carbonation. Too light of feel, almost watery. Not much body. No real hop bite.
D - Not bad flavor when you taste it at first, but that's the only time you can, almost bland. Maybe a good transition beer. I don't know why this rates so high. Maybe I got a bad sample because this shares very few characteristics that are highly praised by other reviewers.

03-09-2008 01:16:53 | More by TYE
IrishRedRock

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The smell is terrible, but the dark body with thin head looks very nice. The taste is somewhere in between, so its drinkable.

06-18-2002 14:01:38 | More by IrishRedRock
revdrjbob

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

Damn! I was super excited to see the Old Pec in a 500ml bottle, and I hadn't had it in years, so I grabbed one, and shared it with the JW (gangrel7).
Poured into straight pint glasses a deep mahogany brown with a creamy tan head.
Smells great, almost like I remembered, toasty, roasty, hints of chocolate, caramel, and almost no hops, I'd say the earthy Fuggles or Goldings would be masked by the other aromas.
Dang, what happenned? Where'd that huge BANG of flavour go? I remember this brew being a big whack of dark malt and chocolate malts, finishing dry and fruity, big and strong, with a huge body. I think I must have got a re-badged bottle. This brew has hints of what it used to be like, but unless my palate has changed that much, they've tweaked the Old Pec. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit watery, very peculiar. The bottle says "based on an old family recipe". Maybe they lost the original and this is the best they could come up with?

10-19-2006 07:55:01 | More by revdrjbob
kmacphail

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

Classic English ale that is available in just about every lisceneced shop in the UK. It has a cult following in places so I thought I would give it a try.

A very dark pint poured into the glass but the head died off in less than 5 seconds, not a good start in my opinion. The nose was more appealing with a good smell of roasted hops and barley with a hint of dark roasted malts thrown in for good measure.

A nice hoppy and roasted barley taste flowed round the mouth. However it felt like I was drinking coloured water, very light palate which was very odd given the style of beer. This was then followed by a lingering after taste of roasted malts, nice, but a bit too dominant. This prevented me from taking another one. This beer for me was a bit like eating a strong German or Italian sausage: tasted good at the time, but I was still tasting it for a good while later.

Overall not a bad beer, but I was expecting more.

10-29-2006 22:19:44 | More by kmacphail
Theakston Old Peculier from T & R Theakston Ltd.