Jubilation Ale - Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Beer added by: WesWes on 01-02-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I poured this beer into a tulip glass. I like the deep amber coloring with this beer. There was a decent amount of red in the brown beer. I get about two fingers of thick foam from the initial pour. It wasn't sticky enough for very good lacing, but it was a good looking beer.

There is a decent amount of fruityness coming off the top of this one. You can really smell pear and fig. I was surprised that I got the cinnamon in the flavor and not in the nose. I also taste dark fruit, especially figs.

This is a pretty good example of a strong or old ale. It works out as a nice sipper. I recommend this one for the colder weather. (631 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

Bought this bottle at the Barrel and Bottle on a whim. Sounded intriguing, boy was this a pleasant surprise! Review from notes.

I will state that while very different from the average winter warmer, this was a wonderful seasonal brew, and likely my second favorite now after GLBC Christmas Ale.

A - Hazed, glowing blood orange color. There was a tall foamy head of light sandy color, though there was a faint red tinge to it. Good head retention, spotted lace, though it was dense and thick.

S - Very soft smelling, rose petals and sweet sake, Merlot grapes, tart cherries, and white rice. All with a mild sour sweetness to it.

T - Honey, light cinnamon, figs did come through on the flavor, orange, and sweetened brown rice. There's a Belgian bite to the beer, though I think it's fermented with sake yeast. Candied sugar notes. This reminded me of a sweet dark quad. Very interesting and unique.

M - Well carbonated, lots of light, soft bubbles. Very smooth. Medium bodied.

D - Highly enjoyable - quaffable in fact. This was a beer I will seek out again, and one that my wife thoroughly enjoyed as well. Splitting a bomber was a good idea, because the sweetness would make multiple glasses a bit much. (1,209 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

From: Friar Tuck's, Savoy, IL
Date: None on bottle
Glass: Tulip

Baird's Jubilation ale is pleasant for a malt-forward, fairly heavy beer, but lacks distinction in many ways. In particular I am disappointed that the cinnamon and figs were not particularly present in the aroma or taste. When looking at price, in no way would I ever again pay $7 for a 12oz bottle of this.

Pours a 2cm tall head of beige-colored foam, made up of small to medium-sized bubbles, creating a fairly dense look. Retention is average, the head lasting one minute, leaving modest lacing of a few dots and lines and a thin ring around the glass' perimeter. The beer's body is a nearly opaque dark orange-brown color, with light bringing out brighter orange-red hues. Carbonation is visible, mildly active, and plentiful, rising up from the center of the glass and along its sides.

Aroma of rich caramel malts, some pale malt, faint cinnamon and raisin-like esters, somewhat cola-like with warmth. A bit plain and unexpressive.

Front palate of light cinnamon with heavy, syrupy caramel malt sugars, brown bread and biscuits, and light dried fruit esters akin to raisns or dates. Mid-palate of rich caramel malt sugars, yeast, syrupy raisins and dried figs, faint cinnamon. Back of palate continues with the heavy caramel malt sugars, brown bread and biscuits, and dried fruit esters with a touch of ethanol. Aftertaste of thick caramelized sugars, dried figs, and mild bitterness.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in body, with medium to medium-low levels of carbonation, leading to a smooth, though slightly stagnant mouthfeel. Ethanol felt lightly on the tongue and in the nostrils. Closes with substantial sticky sweetness lingering on the lips and tongue. (1,735 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My tulip glass fills with a slightly hazy, plum red and one finger of off-white froth that drops fairly quickly, leaving little lace and a film on the glass. A quick swirl brings new life to the head.

Very sweet cherry cough syrup, with some straw, licorice and no figs, but there is some cinnamon.

Ah, there's the fig, in the back, behind the cinnamon, and only in the lingering finish. Flavor otherwise is estranged from the aroma. There is a little bitterness and the hops make no appearance. Some notes of tea can be detected.

This is a full body with syrupy texture and soft carbonation. The alcohol is present, but far less than expected for this style.

While Jubilation is relatively easy to consume, it is just not what I want from a winter warmer. The promise of fig infusion fails to deliver just as this one misses the prerequisites for a sipper or contemplative complexity. Pair this one with beef and enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it claims to be. (976 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a murky amber body beneath the thin, tan head that quickly dissolves to leave little to no lacing for the remainder of the beer.

Pleasant spice aromas such as cinnamon and nutmeg as well as sweet malt like caramel and dark fruits.

The flavor is similar with more pronounced sweet malt, a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg as well as a more significant fig and dark fruit character.

The carbonation is on the lighter side with a medium body and a nice spicy finish.

This is a pretty good winter warmer with plenty of malt and winter spices. A touch more carbonation wouldn’t hurt, but really pretty good. (610 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I thought this looked pretty interesting.

Poured into a big snifter. Thick creamy head settles to a thin cap. Orange marmalade barleywine-ish color.

Aroma is figs, honey. Actually smells more figgy than DFH Olde School. There is a spice that tickles the nose if you inahale deeply enough. Must be the cinnamon. I'm going to have to take the minority view here, because I think this smells pretty damned good. It smells like something I would want to eat for dessert.

BuckeyeNation thinks it tastes better than it smells, and I'm going the opposite direction - I think it smells better than it tastes. There's a little sweetness up front, then this flat earthy flavor with a hint of orange rind. It's not an offensive flavor or anything, I just find it falls a little flat.

Creamy, slick mouthfeel with soft little bubbles.

For me, interesting to sniff, and the 7% alcohol is no factor, but somewhat dull flavor makes for merely average drinkability (958 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife picked this up for me about a week or two ago.

Appearance- dark amber color, thin head that dissipated quickly

Smell- sweet malt

Taste- light flavor, sweet flavor after warming for a minute or two, dark fruits, not bad

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I liked it. It was pretty good. Well balanced. (317 characters)

A- pours a deep hazy amber with large pieces of sediment. It has a rocky tan head very good retention and very nice lacing.

S- Rich sweet malt with strong notes of spice. Hints of raisin, fig, and chocolate.

T- sweet malt and toasted pecan. There are touches of spice in the mid-palate. The finish is slightly bitter.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels dry on the back end, and there is a definite warming sensation from the alcohol.

O- Strange, delicious. (476 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: 22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Glass.

A: Reddish-brown with a thick slightly brown head that fades quickly though it leaves nice lacing on the glass when swirled. When held to the light, the color becomes Santa Claus red and steady carbonation can be seen.

S: Raisins, cinnamon, malt.

T: Fruity, lots of raisins, floral, and nuts. It reminds me of the noel from Carlous, however, it is not as strong.

M: I expected it to be heavy, yet, it manages to seem decently light. The heavy carbonation plays a role in this not doubt. It becomes creamier towards the finish.

D: Though it is done in the Noel style, which means heavier, darker, more alcohol, and complexity, it still fare well due to the light mouth-feel. Also, the flavors are not as strong or extreme as in some Noels.

Overall: I've been pretty happy with the two Baird beers I have consumed. Flavor is present, however, their beers seem more subtle than American counterparts. I have had quite a few of Hitachino's Nest as well and it seems to be the case with some of their beers as well. It is important to remember that subtle does not mean bad. Indeed, many of these beers seem more elegant because of their restraint. (1,197 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this on tap at Baird Beer Nakameguro Taproom in Nakameguro, Tokyo, Japan - http://bairdbeer.com/en/taproom/nakameguro-taproom

A - Tapped an amber red hue with a pretty head in a taster glass (4)

S - On the nose were malts along with a certain fruity phenolic astringency (4)

T - Phenolic fruity notes of figs and plums upfront with a nice strong malt background in the middle; the finish is malty, fruity and just very slightly bitter (4)

M - Light to medium bodied with an apt amount of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture going down really easy (4.5)

D - Very drinkable due to the delectable flavors and very good feel. Tasty and very refreshing. (4.5)

This was the first of 3 beers I sampled at Baird's Nakameguro Taproom. The other 2 beers I had were the Dark Sky Imperial Stout and the West Coast Wheat Wine (825 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 25.4 oz. bomber into a Hennepin flute.

A--Nice creamy eggshell cap, maybe two fingers, that laces well with excellent retention. The body is a hazy reddish burnt caramel. Looks like the inside of a plum.

S--Pretty straightforward, but not in a bad way. More plummy or raisiny than figgy, I'd say. Just not that rich, but then again, I've never had a Japanese fig. Cinnamon coats the edges of the nose, and warms the fruitiness up. Smells like it will be sweet, with considerable caramel pulling through, too.

T--Oh wow, good winter warmer. The restraint here is welcome. The spiciness is gentle, refined, not whack you over the head with a 2x4. You get, essentially, a wisp of cinnamon that tugs clear through the middle of the profile. Any fig flavor remains subdued, and I'm not getting much in the way of those plums or raisins on the tongue, either, which is a shame. Back end of the flavor profile is essentially a brown ale, with some cocoa powder, nuttiness, and hop bitterness packed in there. Kind of like a Belgian Dark without the esters--take away the clove and medicinal qualities, and you have this beer.

M&D--Both are good. I juiced the drinkability on this because, for a winter warmer, this isn't overly spicy or overly boozy, so you could throw back a few no problem.

Interesting spicy amber/brown take on the winter warmer style, if a bit simple. A little like a stripped down Rare Vos. (1,424 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Medium copper pour, respectable lingering film on the top of the beer. Big dark fruit malt on the nose, caramel too. A little astringency in the background. LME and dark fruit in the taste, a bit of cinnamon dryness in aftertaste. Well balanced. Medium light MF, taste doesn't linger much.

As a regular malty ale this is actually pretty good. Easy drinking MF, pleasant not overly powerful malt- makes for a nice strong amber. As a winter warmer though it kind of lacks, as it lacks the usual spicing that I expect from a winter warmer. A good beer none the less, one I would happily make a ready staple of my fridge door were it not for the price ($10/bomber). (662 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

Got this bottle from West Lakeview Liquors, Chicago.

I was enticed by the "brewed with figs and cinnamon" on the label. What a crock! I couldn't taste of that in this beer. This tasted more like a typical Brown Ale with some extra alcohol thrown in the mix. The first taste was very offputting. The drink got somewhat better as I let it warm up, but still not really my cup of tea.

A very 'average' beer in my opinion. The novelty of drinking a Japanese beer quickly wore off as I slowly finished my glass. Not a repeat for me. (530 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: Poured from 21.4oz brown glass bottle (what an odd size) into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a medium brown color, when held to light it is a deep orange in appearance. Really pretty color. Lacing on the glass is superb, 1 finger head that's gone in about 60 seconds.

S: The bottle indicated this is brewed with Japanese figs and cinnamon, but I'm not sure I detect either in the smell. There isn't much to be smelled here to be honest. Trust of the matter is I just can't detect any smells here except some of the malt which is sweet. It's not bad, but not strong either.

T: The taste is however pretty distinct. There is a nice chocolatey malt up front which is delicious. Lingering bitterness indicates the presence of some hops, but isn't bad at all. Quite nice actually and never gets in the way of the malt. The yeast profile reminds me almost of the complexity of a Belgian beer, but not quite. Pretty well balanced.

M: Maybe the most perfectly carbonated beer I've had yet, the tiny bubbles dance across my tongue unlike any beer I've had yet. Weight of the beer is a little thinner than I'd prefer, but the carbonation being so good keeps its score really high.

D: Very high, I could drink a lot of this. Nothing cloying, bitter or bad in any way.

Highly recommended. I'm not sure the cinnamon or fig ever show their presence, but this is a good beer and you should try to find it. (1,401 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Bought a bottle at Total Wine&More in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Poured into large wine goblets.

Smell is strongly reminiscent of white grape notes even though I would have thought it would (should?) smell like figs and cinnamon. A bit of maltiness comes though and that was all I can smell as it warmed. I thought it smelled nice, but it just wasn't what I expected to smell.

It tastes sweet, almost caramel on the forefront with some figs coming through ( I was hoping for more) and has almost a Belgian yeasty quality to it. Then evolves to be slightly spice-y (there's the cinnamon!) and comes in with a slight bitter finish...nothing harsh- kinda like citrus zest.

It's mouthfeel is smooth, kinda creamy. I thought it was going to be heavier, but was lighter feeling than it looked.

I haven't had Winter Warmers before so I can't quite judge how this compares to the style standard. It probably skews a bit of my review being ignorant of a style so forgive me, and take it for what it is....Out of the different winter and festive beers I've had this was the mildest and simplest- sometimes that isn't a bad thing. It was a relatively easy to go down beverage and on occasion I don't need a beer to boggle my mind picking out notes and make my mouth go on a rollercoaster ride. I enjoyed it, but I feel there are other beers out there that have similar notes that I enjoyed more. I probably will go try more winter warmers and other Baird beers, but don't know if this will end up in my fridge again.

After drinking my throat got a bit warm and irritated which could very well have nothing to do with the beer, but I don't just get my throat going out of the blue thus the B rating. (1,692 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last