1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jubilation Ale - Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Jubilation AleJubilation Ale

good

Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom visit their website
Japan

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WesWes on 01-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 47 | Reviews: 32 | Show All Ratings:
basica

Singapore

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Had this on tap at Baird Beer Nakameguro Taproom in Nakameguro, Tokyo, Japan - http://bairdbeer.com/en/taproom/nakameguro-taproom

A - Tapped an amber red hue with a pretty head in a taster glass (4)

S - On the nose were malts along with a certain fruity phenolic astringency (4)

T - Phenolic fruity notes of figs and plums upfront with a nice strong malt background in the middle; the finish is malty, fruity and just very slightly bitter (4)

M - Light to medium bodied with an apt amount of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture going down really easy (4.5)

D - Very drinkable due to the delectable flavors and very good feel. Tasty and very refreshing. (4.5)

This was the first of 3 beers I sampled at Baird's Nakameguro Taproom. The other 2 beers I had were the Dark Sky Imperial Stout and the West Coast Wheat Wine

02-02-2011 15:16:54 | More by basica
TheycallmeTim

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 25.4 oz. bomber into a Hennepin flute.

A--Nice creamy eggshell cap, maybe two fingers, that laces well with excellent retention. The body is a hazy reddish burnt caramel. Looks like the inside of a plum.

S--Pretty straightforward, but not in a bad way. More plummy or raisiny than figgy, I'd say. Just not that rich, but then again, I've never had a Japanese fig. Cinnamon coats the edges of the nose, and warms the fruitiness up. Smells like it will be sweet, with considerable caramel pulling through, too.

T--Oh wow, good winter warmer. The restraint here is welcome. The spiciness is gentle, refined, not whack you over the head with a 2x4. You get, essentially, a wisp of cinnamon that tugs clear through the middle of the profile. Any fig flavor remains subdued, and I'm not getting much in the way of those plums or raisins on the tongue, either, which is a shame. Back end of the flavor profile is essentially a brown ale, with some cocoa powder, nuttiness, and hop bitterness packed in there. Kind of like a Belgian Dark without the esters--take away the clove and medicinal qualities, and you have this beer.

M&D--Both are good. I juiced the drinkability on this because, for a winter warmer, this isn't overly spicy or overly boozy, so you could throw back a few no problem.

Interesting spicy amber/brown take on the winter warmer style, if a bit simple. A little like a stripped down Rare Vos.

01-04-2010 01:14:56 | More by TheycallmeTim
Ghenna

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Medium copper pour, respectable lingering film on the top of the beer. Big dark fruit malt on the nose, caramel too. A little astringency in the background. LME and dark fruit in the taste, a bit of cinnamon dryness in aftertaste. Well balanced. Medium light MF, taste doesn't linger much.

As a regular malty ale this is actually pretty good. Easy drinking MF, pleasant not overly powerful malt- makes for a nice strong amber. As a winter warmer though it kind of lacks, as it lacks the usual spicing that I expect from a winter warmer. A good beer none the less, one I would happily make a ready staple of my fridge door were it not for the price ($10/bomber).

01-07-2011 03:19:39 | More by Ghenna
silverking

A- pours a deep hazy amber with large pieces of sediment. It has a rocky tan head very good retention and very nice lacing.

S- Rich sweet malt with strong notes of spice. Hints of raisin, fig, and chocolate.

T- sweet malt and toasted pecan. There are touches of spice in the mid-palate. The finish is slightly bitter.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels dry on the back end, and there is a definite warming sensation from the alcohol.

O- Strange, delicious.

05-27-2013 17:55:49 | More by silverking
Northsider

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Got this bottle from West Lakeview Liquors, Chicago.

I was enticed by the "brewed with figs and cinnamon" on the label. What a crock! I couldn't taste of that in this beer. This tasted more like a typical Brown Ale with some extra alcohol thrown in the mix. The first taste was very offputting. The drink got somewhat better as I let it warm up, but still not really my cup of tea.

A very 'average' beer in my opinion. The novelty of drinking a Japanese beer quickly wore off as I slowly finished my glass. Not a repeat for me.

07-30-2011 20:01:42 | More by Northsider
thirdeye11

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation: Poured from 21.4oz brown glass bottle (what an odd size) into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a medium brown color, when held to light it is a deep orange in appearance. Really pretty color. Lacing on the glass is superb, 1 finger head that's gone in about 60 seconds.

S: The bottle indicated this is brewed with Japanese figs and cinnamon, but I'm not sure I detect either in the smell. There isn't much to be smelled here to be honest. Trust of the matter is I just can't detect any smells here except some of the malt which is sweet. It's not bad, but not strong either.

T: The taste is however pretty distinct. There is a nice chocolatey malt up front which is delicious. Lingering bitterness indicates the presence of some hops, but isn't bad at all. Quite nice actually and never gets in the way of the malt. The yeast profile reminds me almost of the complexity of a Belgian beer, but not quite. Pretty well balanced.

M: Maybe the most perfectly carbonated beer I've had yet, the tiny bubbles dance across my tongue unlike any beer I've had yet. Weight of the beer is a little thinner than I'd prefer, but the carbonation being so good keeps its score really high.

D: Very high, I could drink a lot of this. Nothing cloying, bitter or bad in any way.

Highly recommended. I'm not sure the cinnamon or fig ever show their presence, but this is a good beer and you should try to find it.

06-10-2009 03:16:00 | More by thirdeye11
Provocajade

Nevada

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Bought a bottle at Total Wine&More in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Poured into large wine goblets.

Smell is strongly reminiscent of white grape notes even though I would have thought it would (should?) smell like figs and cinnamon. A bit of maltiness comes though and that was all I can smell as it warmed. I thought it smelled nice, but it just wasn't what I expected to smell.

It tastes sweet, almost caramel on the forefront with some figs coming through ( I was hoping for more) and has almost a Belgian yeasty quality to it. Then evolves to be slightly spice-y (there's the cinnamon!) and comes in with a slight bitter finish...nothing harsh- kinda like citrus zest.

It's mouthfeel is smooth, kinda creamy. I thought it was going to be heavier, but was lighter feeling than it looked.

I haven't had Winter Warmers before so I can't quite judge how this compares to the style standard. It probably skews a bit of my review being ignorant of a style so forgive me, and take it for what it is....Out of the different winter and festive beers I've had this was the mildest and simplest- sometimes that isn't a bad thing. It was a relatively easy to go down beverage and on occasion I don't need a beer to boggle my mind picking out notes and make my mouth go on a rollercoaster ride. I enjoyed it, but I feel there are other beers out there that have similar notes that I enjoyed more. I probably will go try more winter warmers and other Baird beers, but don't know if this will end up in my fridge again.

After drinking my throat got a bit warm and irritated which could very well have nothing to do with the beer, but I don't just get my throat going out of the blue thus the B rating.

12-07-2010 10:06:33 | More by Provocajade