Jubilation Ale - Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

good

Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom visit their website
Japan

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WesWes on 01-02-2009)
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Auraan, Jan 26, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

wrightst, Jun 08, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Bought this bottle at the Barrel and Bottle on a whim. Sounded intriguing, boy was this a pleasant surprise! Review from notes.

I will state that while very different from the average winter warmer, this was a wonderful seasonal brew, and likely my second favorite now after GLBC Christmas Ale.

A - Hazed, glowing blood orange color. There was a tall foamy head of light sandy color, though there was a faint red tinge to it. Good head retention, spotted lace, though it was dense and thick.

S - Very soft smelling, rose petals and sweet sake, Merlot grapes, tart cherries, and white rice. All with a mild sour sweetness to it.

T - Honey, light cinnamon, figs did come through on the flavor, orange, and sweetened brown rice. There's a Belgian bite to the beer, though I think it's fermented with sake yeast. Candied sugar notes. This reminded me of a sweet dark quad. Very interesting and unique.

M - Well carbonated, lots of light, soft bubbles. Very smooth. Medium bodied.

D - Highly enjoyable - quaffable in fact. This was a beer I will seek out again, and one that my wife thoroughly enjoyed as well. Splitting a bomber was a good idea, because the sweetness would make multiple glasses a bit much.

Spider889, Jan 19, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

MadeInOregon, Sep 25, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this on tap at Baird Beer Nakameguro Taproom in Nakameguro, Tokyo, Japan - http://bairdbeer.com/en/taproom/nakameguro-taproom

A - Tapped an amber red hue with a pretty head in a taster glass (4)

S - On the nose were malts along with a certain fruity phenolic astringency (4)

T - Phenolic fruity notes of figs and plums upfront with a nice strong malt background in the middle; the finish is malty, fruity and just very slightly bitter (4)

M - Light to medium bodied with an apt amount of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture going down really easy (4.5)

D - Very drinkable due to the delectable flavors and very good feel. Tasty and very refreshing. (4.5)

This was the first of 3 beers I sampled at Baird's Nakameguro Taproom. The other 2 beers I had were the Dark Sky Imperial Stout and the West Coast Wheat Wine

basica, Feb 02, 2011

williamjbauer, Aug 27, 2013

633ml, 6.5% ABV. Celebratory, I assume, for the winter season, one from which we here in Alberta are trying very hard to escape this year...

This beer pours a hazy dark burnt amber colour, with two fingers of creamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a low seaward landmass of lace around the glass as it slowly settles.

It smells of sweet caramel malt, slightly metallic cinnamon, ginger, fruity fig (more the earthy sort than our more recognizable Newton), and a mildly fruity citrus zing. The taste is bready malt, pithy citrus and savoury cinnamon, followed by some lesser earthy fruit (hard to say if it's fig or pumpkin from my North American palate), a somewhat funky mustiness, and an increasingly noticeable, but still mostly sedate booze warming.

The carbonation is generally on the low side, and more or less unobtrusive, the body medium weight, and smooth as can be, amongst a pithy, slightly tacky character. It finishes off-dry - a truly level contest amongst restrained autumn vegetables, germ-inclusive sliced bread, and drying alcohol/hop offsets.

As I've spent a number of weeks now forsaking the notion of winter, since, as previously noted, we here have had our fill, my appreciation of this offering may be just a wee bit underwhelming in the proclaimed warming department. That said, I can appreciate the similarity to heartening local offerings, enjoyed back when the snow fell in October(!!!). Shipping time from Japan observed, red tape bullshit satisfied, and bingo, we still have a winner.

biboergosum, Apr 16, 2011

A- pours a deep hazy amber with large pieces of sediment. It has a rocky tan head very good retention and very nice lacing.

S- Rich sweet malt with strong notes of spice. Hints of raisin, fig, and chocolate.

T- sweet malt and toasted pecan. There are touches of spice in the mid-palate. The finish is slightly bitter.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels dry on the back end, and there is a definite warming sensation from the alcohol.

O- Strange, delicious.

silverking, May 27, 2013

The beer pours a hazy amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light malt scent that boasts of pale and crystal malts. It's appears thin with a nice cinnamon and fig aroma. This is a "celebratory beer" as the bottle states and it definately has a holiday/winter warmer feel to it. The taste is good as well. It has a very smooth taste that goes down dry and finishes with a touch of fig flavor and cinnamon spice. It's 7% abv., yet it's not a heavy drinker. The alcohol is hidden nicely as well. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an interesting beer. I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's not your typical holiday brew, but it's well brewed and easy drinking. I do admit that their beers are highly overpriced for the quality of the product.

WesWes, Jan 02, 2009

DoctorB2B, Dec 13, 2011

cjac, May 18, 2014

tat2dhllblly, Nov 15, 2011

t0rin0, Aug 20, 2012

afsdan, Jun 15, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: 22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Glass.

A: Reddish-brown with a thick slightly brown head that fades quickly though it leaves nice lacing on the glass when swirled. When held to the light, the color becomes Santa Claus red and steady carbonation can be seen.

S: Raisins, cinnamon, malt.

T: Fruity, lots of raisins, floral, and nuts. It reminds me of the noel from Carlous, however, it is not as strong.

M: I expected it to be heavy, yet, it manages to seem decently light. The heavy carbonation plays a role in this not doubt. It becomes creamier towards the finish.

D: Though it is done in the Noel style, which means heavier, darker, more alcohol, and complexity, it still fare well due to the light mouth-feel. Also, the flavors are not as strong or extreme as in some Noels.

Overall: I've been pretty happy with the two Baird beers I have consumed. Flavor is present, however, their beers seem more subtle than American counterparts. I have had quite a few of Hitachino's Nest as well and it seems to be the case with some of their beers as well. It is important to remember that subtle does not mean bad. Indeed, many of these beers seem more elegant because of their restraint.

ianjsullivan, Feb 18, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

633ml bottle poured into tulip 2/3/12

A hazy reddish amber with a short lived cream colored foam that leaves no lace

S raisins, cinnamon, pumpkin, ginger, orange cremesicle, and just a little booze, smells good, everything's pretty mellow

T some orange peel on top of what I smell, reminds me of a pumpkin brew yet as far as I know there's no pumpkin

M fairly full bodied considering the color, enough carbonation to please and a very mellow spicy aftertaste

O good for the style, slightly warming and it reminds me of Winter... therefor a decent Winter Warmer

well concealed booze with at least a year on it, perhaps I need a refresher course on figs but at the end of the day I found it pretty easy to down

wordemupg, Mar 03, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Saw the contents of this Japanese celebratory ale and knew that it would be a proper initiation into my experience with beers of the orient! How can you turn down a beer boasting fresh fig and cinnamon brewed at the base of Mt. Fuji?

Appearance:
Bottle label is classy and catches the eye. Purchase made for $13.09, a little pricey for 633mL worth of beer, but there is no time for hesitation. Served at a cool temperature in my Duvel tulip, I'm ready to investigate this beast from the east.
Light white foam head leaves a light blanketing over an amber orange. The beer is hazy and laces well. Good indications so far.

Smell:
This beer smells gorgeous. Tart notes of unripened fig, bread, and ethanol lightly tickle the nose. The spice isn't distinctly cinnamon and doesn't come through as strongly as most winter warmers I've had (although this beer isn't as dark as most winter warmers I've had either).
Because the beer is at a cooler temperature, I shall continue to take time while drinking to investigate other notes that come with warming.

Taste:
Light, balanced, nothing is too overpowering. i am not getting much of the cinnamon or fig at this stage of the tasting, but I shall let it warm. *10 minutes go by in anticipation*
Bam, there is the cinnamon and figgy fig sweetness. Letting the beer warm makes all the difference in letting the flavor profile properly develop. A slightly bitter aftertaste would have been better accompanied by a dry finish.

Moughfeel:
The beer is sweet but not from just the malt. This sweetness is a distinct fructose that lingers on my palate long after sipping. The bitter aftertaste takes 10 seconds to come through, and fades just as quickly. Feels like your basic ale with some fruits tossed in to make it sweeter and more palatable to the ladies.

Drinkability:
The beer was good, however, no diamond in the ruff. A damn good drinkable beer with a complex profile, but for $13...easily outdone.

Cheers

ThePorterSorter, Feb 13, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 25.4 oz. bomber into a Hennepin flute.

A--Nice creamy eggshell cap, maybe two fingers, that laces well with excellent retention. The body is a hazy reddish burnt caramel. Looks like the inside of a plum.

S--Pretty straightforward, but not in a bad way. More plummy or raisiny than figgy, I'd say. Just not that rich, but then again, I've never had a Japanese fig. Cinnamon coats the edges of the nose, and warms the fruitiness up. Smells like it will be sweet, with considerable caramel pulling through, too.

T--Oh wow, good winter warmer. The restraint here is welcome. The spiciness is gentle, refined, not whack you over the head with a 2x4. You get, essentially, a wisp of cinnamon that tugs clear through the middle of the profile. Any fig flavor remains subdued, and I'm not getting much in the way of those plums or raisins on the tongue, either, which is a shame. Back end of the flavor profile is essentially a brown ale, with some cocoa powder, nuttiness, and hop bitterness packed in there. Kind of like a Belgian Dark without the esters--take away the clove and medicinal qualities, and you have this beer.

M&D--Both are good. I juiced the drinkability on this because, for a winter warmer, this isn't overly spicy or overly boozy, so you could throw back a few no problem.

Interesting spicy amber/brown take on the winter warmer style, if a bit simple. A little like a stripped down Rare Vos.

TheycallmeTim, Jan 04, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

This is nicely spiced, imo. Though it tastes of much more than just cinnamon. Hearty base flavor profile with Belgian-like tones to it. I usually don't really like beers labeled as winter warmers, but I dig this one. Could be a little "thinner" so that some more character could show, but who cares. It works.

RblWthACoz, May 09, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Medium copper pour, respectable lingering film on the top of the beer. Big dark fruit malt on the nose, caramel too. A little astringency in the background. LME and dark fruit in the taste, a bit of cinnamon dryness in aftertaste. Well balanced. Medium light MF, taste doesn't linger much.

As a regular malty ale this is actually pretty good. Easy drinking MF, pleasant not overly powerful malt- makes for a nice strong amber. As a winter warmer though it kind of lacks, as it lacks the usual spicing that I expect from a winter warmer. A good beer none the less, one I would happily make a ready staple of my fridge door were it not for the price ($10/bomber).

Ghenna, Jan 07, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Presentation: Poured from 21.4oz brown glass bottle (what an odd size) into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a medium brown color, when held to light it is a deep orange in appearance. Really pretty color. Lacing on the glass is superb, 1 finger head that's gone in about 60 seconds.

S: The bottle indicated this is brewed with Japanese figs and cinnamon, but I'm not sure I detect either in the smell. There isn't much to be smelled here to be honest. Trust of the matter is I just can't detect any smells here except some of the malt which is sweet. It's not bad, but not strong either.

T: The taste is however pretty distinct. There is a nice chocolatey malt up front which is delicious. Lingering bitterness indicates the presence of some hops, but isn't bad at all. Quite nice actually and never gets in the way of the malt. The yeast profile reminds me almost of the complexity of a Belgian beer, but not quite. Pretty well balanced.

M: Maybe the most perfectly carbonated beer I've had yet, the tiny bubbles dance across my tongue unlike any beer I've had yet. Weight of the beer is a little thinner than I'd prefer, but the carbonation being so good keeps its score really high.

D: Very high, I could drink a lot of this. Nothing cloying, bitter or bad in any way.

Highly recommended. I'm not sure the cinnamon or fig ever show their presence, but this is a good beer and you should try to find it.

thirdeye11, Jun 10, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Syrupy orange, tobacco, and copper color. Quick head and I can't see any bubbling in this muddy copper hued beer.

The aroma makes me think of toasted malts, XMAS spices, and a little Earth. The cinnnamon and figs are noticeable, but not overwhelming.

Super toasty malt with a chalky yeast fruit palate and flavor. Then the fig and cinnamon hit the palate from middle to finish. Spicey, a little fruity and very malty and dry on the finish.

scruffwhor, Mar 25, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a murky amber body beneath the thin, tan head that quickly dissolves to leave little to no lacing for the remainder of the beer.

Pleasant spice aromas such as cinnamon and nutmeg as well as sweet malt like caramel and dark fruits.

The flavor is similar with more pronounced sweet malt, a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg as well as a more significant fig and dark fruit character.

The carbonation is on the lighter side with a medium body and a nice spicy finish.

This is a pretty good winter warmer with plenty of malt and winter spices. A touch more carbonation wouldn’t hurt, but really pretty good.

CHADMC3, Nov 08, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Bought a bottle at Total Wine&More in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Poured into large wine goblets.

Smell is strongly reminiscent of white grape notes even though I would have thought it would (should?) smell like figs and cinnamon. A bit of maltiness comes though and that was all I can smell as it warmed. I thought it smelled nice, but it just wasn't what I expected to smell.

It tastes sweet, almost caramel on the forefront with some figs coming through ( I was hoping for more) and has almost a Belgian yeasty quality to it. Then evolves to be slightly spice-y (there's the cinnamon!) and comes in with a slight bitter finish...nothing harsh- kinda like citrus zest.

It's mouthfeel is smooth, kinda creamy. I thought it was going to be heavier, but was lighter feeling than it looked.

I haven't had Winter Warmers before so I can't quite judge how this compares to the style standard. It probably skews a bit of my review being ignorant of a style so forgive me, and take it for what it is....Out of the different winter and festive beers I've had this was the mildest and simplest- sometimes that isn't a bad thing. It was a relatively easy to go down beverage and on occasion I don't need a beer to boggle my mind picking out notes and make my mouth go on a rollercoaster ride. I enjoyed it, but I feel there are other beers out there that have similar notes that I enjoyed more. I probably will go try more winter warmers and other Baird beers, but don't know if this will end up in my fridge again.

After drinking my throat got a bit warm and irritated which could very well have nothing to do with the beer, but I don't just get my throat going out of the blue thus the B rating.

Provocajade, Dec 07, 2010