Jubilation Ale - Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

good

Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom visit their website
Japan

Winter Warmer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: WesWes on 01-02-2009)

t0rin0, Aug 20, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A dull amber and cloudy brown body giving a faint off white and caramel head with barely two fingers on the pour and no head left to speak of.

Nose is a real pungent brown cinnamon and fruit persimmon. Great mix of persimmon and fig like dark fruit sense, melds nicely with the cinnamon. Feels like a refreshing punch or Asian big soda only bolder.

Palate sort of falls apart. Weak bodied, and not giving much of the flavor hinted from the nose. Watery malt presence doesn't match the sweetness hinted, or give any density either. It's not too bad in feel, but also has a strange faint metallic tinge on the aftertaste.

Overall it's not horrible, but it's not that great either.

smakawhat, Jun 25, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

This is nicely spiced, imo. Though it tastes of much more than just cinnamon. Hearty base flavor profile with Belgian-like tones to it. I usually don't really like beers labeled as winter warmers, but I dig this one. Could be a little "thinner" so that some more character could show, but who cares. It works.

RblWthACoz, May 09, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Syrupy orange, tobacco, and copper color. Quick head and I can't see any bubbling in this muddy copper hued beer.

The aroma makes me think of toasted malts, XMAS spices, and a little Earth. The cinnnamon and figs are noticeable, but not overwhelming.

Super toasty malt with a chalky yeast fruit palate and flavor. Then the fig and cinnamon hit the palate from middle to finish. Spicey, a little fruity and very malty and dry on the finish.

scruffwhor, Mar 25, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +7%

633ml bottle poured into tulip 2/3/12

A hazy reddish amber with a short lived cream colored foam that leaves no lace

S raisins, cinnamon, pumpkin, ginger, orange cremesicle, and just a little booze, smells good, everything's pretty mellow

T some orange peel on top of what I smell, reminds me of a pumpkin brew yet as far as I know there's no pumpkin

M fairly full bodied considering the color, enough carbonation to please and a very mellow spicy aftertaste

O good for the style, slightly warming and it reminds me of Winter... therefor a decent Winter Warmer

well concealed booze with at least a year on it, perhaps I need a refresher course on figs but at the end of the day I found it pretty easy to down

wordemupg, Mar 03, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -3%

633ml bottle - $7.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a rather clouded, dark copper body with a small-sized head of yellowish foam.

Smell: Fruity, sherry accented aroma with a generous dose of spicy er... spices. Also, some sugary caramel, herbs, fragrant orange bitters, and yeast cake.

Taste: A sweet sip of bready caramel maltiness followed closely by figs, orange blossom, golden raisins, and a shot of cooking sherry. Pinch of ground cinnamon, but also a slice of piquant ginger. Current of yeastiness throughout. Herbal, leafy hops with some bitterness noted. Continued fruitiness with a sprinkling of candied almond on the back half. Spicy-sweetish finish with a lingering heat on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's sweet, spicy, heated, though overall just okay for me.

ChainGangGuy, Feb 09, 2012

DoctorB2B, Dec 13, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife picked this up for me about a week or two ago.

Appearance- dark amber color, thin head that dissipated quickly

Smell- sweet malt

Taste- light flavor, sweet flavor after warming for a minute or two, dark fruits, not bad

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I liked it. It was pretty good. Well balanced.

jeffjeff1, Dec 10, 2011

whartontallboy, Nov 18, 2011

tonyf55, Nov 15, 2011

tat2dhllblly, Nov 15, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

Got this bottle from West Lakeview Liquors, Chicago.

I was enticed by the "brewed with figs and cinnamon" on the label. What a crock! I couldn't taste of that in this beer. This tasted more like a typical Brown Ale with some extra alcohol thrown in the mix. The first taste was very offputting. The drink got somewhat better as I let it warm up, but still not really my cup of tea.

A very 'average' beer in my opinion. The novelty of drinking a Japanese beer quickly wore off as I slowly finished my glass. Not a repeat for me.

Northsider, Jul 30, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 633 ml brown bottle, abv. listed as 6.5%. Pours out a deeply hazed dark amber/chestnut hue, with a short creamy off-white head that holds a lengthy retention.

Sweet yet dry malt on the aroma, somewhere between caramel and bready, with mild dry earthy and grassy hops. Very faint spice in the background.

Flavour is dry overall. Wafer-like cocoa malt up front, dark fruit sweetness punctuated with some earthy cinnamon sweetness in the middle, with a bit of a sticky, tart finish and a lingering astringent aftertaste similar to tannin.

Full-bodied mouthfeel, quite thick and chewy in texture at times, moderate carbonation.

A curious twist on the style, I'm assuming it's the Japanese fig added that is providing the more unique characteristic to this. Yet something is definitely contributing to a runaway tannic astringency that is detracting from the overall enjoyment, and lingering on as an unwelcome aftertaste. Aside from that it's quite enjoyable and worth giving a try.

IronDjinn, May 09, 2011

633ml, 6.5% ABV. Celebratory, I assume, for the winter season, one from which we here in Alberta are trying very hard to escape this year...

This beer pours a hazy dark burnt amber colour, with two fingers of creamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves a low seaward landmass of lace around the glass as it slowly settles.

It smells of sweet caramel malt, slightly metallic cinnamon, ginger, fruity fig (more the earthy sort than our more recognizable Newton), and a mildly fruity citrus zing. The taste is bready malt, pithy citrus and savoury cinnamon, followed by some lesser earthy fruit (hard to say if it's fig or pumpkin from my North American palate), a somewhat funky mustiness, and an increasingly noticeable, but still mostly sedate booze warming.

The carbonation is generally on the low side, and more or less unobtrusive, the body medium weight, and smooth as can be, amongst a pithy, slightly tacky character. It finishes off-dry - a truly level contest amongst restrained autumn vegetables, germ-inclusive sliced bread, and drying alcohol/hop offsets.

As I've spent a number of weeks now forsaking the notion of winter, since, as previously noted, we here have had our fill, my appreciation of this offering may be just a wee bit underwhelming in the proclaimed warming department. That said, I can appreciate the similarity to heartening local offerings, enjoyed back when the snow fell in October(!!!). Shipping time from Japan observed, red tape bullshit satisfied, and bingo, we still have a winner.

biboergosum, Apr 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +7%

Saw the contents of this Japanese celebratory ale and knew that it would be a proper initiation into my experience with beers of the orient! How can you turn down a beer boasting fresh fig and cinnamon brewed at the base of Mt. Fuji?

Appearance:
Bottle label is classy and catches the eye. Purchase made for $13.09, a little pricey for 633mL worth of beer, but there is no time for hesitation. Served at a cool temperature in my Duvel tulip, I'm ready to investigate this beast from the east.
Light white foam head leaves a light blanketing over an amber orange. The beer is hazy and laces well. Good indications so far.

Smell:
This beer smells gorgeous. Tart notes of unripened fig, bread, and ethanol lightly tickle the nose. The spice isn't distinctly cinnamon and doesn't come through as strongly as most winter warmers I've had (although this beer isn't as dark as most winter warmers I've had either).
Because the beer is at a cooler temperature, I shall continue to take time while drinking to investigate other notes that come with warming.

Taste:
Light, balanced, nothing is too overpowering. i am not getting much of the cinnamon or fig at this stage of the tasting, but I shall let it warm. *10 minutes go by in anticipation*
Bam, there is the cinnamon and figgy fig sweetness. Letting the beer warm makes all the difference in letting the flavor profile properly develop. A slightly bitter aftertaste would have been better accompanied by a dry finish.

Moughfeel:
The beer is sweet but not from just the malt. This sweetness is a distinct fructose that lingers on my palate long after sipping. The bitter aftertaste takes 10 seconds to come through, and fades just as quickly. Feels like your basic ale with some fruits tossed in to make it sweeter and more palatable to the ladies.

Drinkability:
The beer was good, however, no diamond in the ruff. A damn good drinkable beer with a complex profile, but for $13...easily outdone.

Cheers

ThePorterSorter, Feb 13, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this on tap at Baird Beer Nakameguro Taproom in Nakameguro, Tokyo, Japan - http://bairdbeer.com/en/taproom/nakameguro-taproom

A - Tapped an amber red hue with a pretty head in a taster glass (4)

S - On the nose were malts along with a certain fruity phenolic astringency (4)

T - Phenolic fruity notes of figs and plums upfront with a nice strong malt background in the middle; the finish is malty, fruity and just very slightly bitter (4)

M - Light to medium bodied with an apt amount of carbonation and a foamy smooth texture going down really easy (4.5)

D - Very drinkable due to the delectable flavors and very good feel. Tasty and very refreshing. (4.5)

This was the first of 3 beers I sampled at Baird's Nakameguro Taproom. The other 2 beers I had were the Dark Sky Imperial Stout and the West Coast Wheat Wine

basica, Feb 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Bought this bottle at the Barrel and Bottle on a whim. Sounded intriguing, boy was this a pleasant surprise! Review from notes.

I will state that while very different from the average winter warmer, this was a wonderful seasonal brew, and likely my second favorite now after GLBC Christmas Ale.

A - Hazed, glowing blood orange color. There was a tall foamy head of light sandy color, though there was a faint red tinge to it. Good head retention, spotted lace, though it was dense and thick.

S - Very soft smelling, rose petals and sweet sake, Merlot grapes, tart cherries, and white rice. All with a mild sour sweetness to it.

T - Honey, light cinnamon, figs did come through on the flavor, orange, and sweetened brown rice. There's a Belgian bite to the beer, though I think it's fermented with sake yeast. Candied sugar notes. This reminded me of a sweet dark quad. Very interesting and unique.

M - Well carbonated, lots of light, soft bubbles. Very smooth. Medium bodied.

D - Highly enjoyable - quaffable in fact. This was a beer I will seek out again, and one that my wife thoroughly enjoyed as well. Splitting a bomber was a good idea, because the sweetness would make multiple glasses a bit much.

Spider889, Jan 19, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Medium copper pour, respectable lingering film on the top of the beer. Big dark fruit malt on the nose, caramel too. A little astringency in the background. LME and dark fruit in the taste, a bit of cinnamon dryness in aftertaste. Well balanced. Medium light MF, taste doesn't linger much.

As a regular malty ale this is actually pretty good. Easy drinking MF, pleasant not overly powerful malt- makes for a nice strong amber. As a winter warmer though it kind of lacks, as it lacks the usual spicing that I expect from a winter warmer. A good beer none the less, one I would happily make a ready staple of my fridge door were it not for the price ($10/bomber).

Ghenna, Jan 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Bought a bottle at Total Wine&More in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Poured into large wine goblets.

Smell is strongly reminiscent of white grape notes even though I would have thought it would (should?) smell like figs and cinnamon. A bit of maltiness comes though and that was all I can smell as it warmed. I thought it smelled nice, but it just wasn't what I expected to smell.

It tastes sweet, almost caramel on the forefront with some figs coming through ( I was hoping for more) and has almost a Belgian yeasty quality to it. Then evolves to be slightly spice-y (there's the cinnamon!) and comes in with a slight bitter finish...nothing harsh- kinda like citrus zest.

It's mouthfeel is smooth, kinda creamy. I thought it was going to be heavier, but was lighter feeling than it looked.

I haven't had Winter Warmers before so I can't quite judge how this compares to the style standard. It probably skews a bit of my review being ignorant of a style so forgive me, and take it for what it is....Out of the different winter and festive beers I've had this was the mildest and simplest- sometimes that isn't a bad thing. It was a relatively easy to go down beverage and on occasion I don't need a beer to boggle my mind picking out notes and make my mouth go on a rollercoaster ride. I enjoyed it, but I feel there are other beers out there that have similar notes that I enjoyed more. I probably will go try more winter warmers and other Baird beers, but don't know if this will end up in my fridge again.

After drinking my throat got a bit warm and irritated which could very well have nothing to do with the beer, but I don't just get my throat going out of the blue thus the B rating.

Provocajade, Dec 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I thought this looked pretty interesting.

Poured into a big snifter. Thick creamy head settles to a thin cap. Orange marmalade barleywine-ish color.

Aroma is figs, honey. Actually smells more figgy than DFH Olde School. There is a spice that tickles the nose if you inahale deeply enough. Must be the cinnamon. I'm going to have to take the minority view here, because I think this smells pretty damned good. It smells like something I would want to eat for dessert.

BuckeyeNation thinks it tastes better than it smells, and I'm going the opposite direction - I think it smells better than it tastes. There's a little sweetness up front, then this flat earthy flavor with a hint of orange rind. It's not an offensive flavor or anything, I just find it falls a little flat.

Creamy, slick mouthfeel with soft little bubbles.

For me, interesting to sniff, and the 7% alcohol is no factor, but somewhat dull flavor makes for merely average drinkability

Patrick999, Nov 10, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Glazed terra cotta infused with brick red, polished brass accents, and a generously sized lid of golden beige colored foam. The beer fizzed like crazy on crown cracking, but there doesn't appear to be excessive bubbles at this point. The foam deflates in the usual fashion and leaves the glass pretty much bare.

Call me crazy, but shouldn't a beer that includes Japanese figs and cinnamon smell like either Japanese figs or cinnamon? To be fair, the latter is appeciated with warming. Otherwise, there isn't much here to be jubilant about. Some toasted malt, a faint fruitiness... and very little else.

Thankfully, Jubilation Ale tastes better than it smells. It still doesn't reach the relatively high bar set by the other Baird brews that I've had. Most of their lineup is solid without being special. This one is growing on me, but it still probably won't get to 4.0 for either taste or drinkability.

This seasonal ale tastes like a Belgian dark ale whose Belgian yeast strain has cinnamon esters rather than clove esters. As far as I know, Belgian yeast wasn't used, I was just trying to make a point. Figgy flavors (or figs themselves) always work better in slightly sweet beer rather than slightly bitter beer.

The second pour adds quite a bit of murkiness, so let's see if it also adds more and deeper flavor. Yeah, it does, a little, though I still can't pull the trigger on taste, so let's reward drinkability instead. No appreciable alcohol is a plus.

Warming (and the sediment-laden bottle half of the bomber) turns a 'too small' beer into a 'just big enough' beer. More malt and better bubbles would have improved things.

Again, most of the Baird lineup consists of quality craft beer. If it was less expensive and more easily available, I'd drink it often. Jubilation Ale isn't one of their better efforts and the $10.79 price tag makes it that much harder to recommend. Bottom line: there are plenty of American winter warmers that I would pick up before this one.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 31, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: 22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Glass.

A: Reddish-brown with a thick slightly brown head that fades quickly though it leaves nice lacing on the glass when swirled. When held to the light, the color becomes Santa Claus red and steady carbonation can be seen.

S: Raisins, cinnamon, malt.

T: Fruity, lots of raisins, floral, and nuts. It reminds me of the noel from Carlous, however, it is not as strong.

M: I expected it to be heavy, yet, it manages to seem decently light. The heavy carbonation plays a role in this not doubt. It becomes creamier towards the finish.

D: Though it is done in the Noel style, which means heavier, darker, more alcohol, and complexity, it still fare well due to the light mouth-feel. Also, the flavors are not as strong or extreme as in some Noels.

Overall: I've been pretty happy with the two Baird beers I have consumed. Flavor is present, however, their beers seem more subtle than American counterparts. I have had quite a few of Hitachino's Nest as well and it seems to be the case with some of their beers as well. It is important to remember that subtle does not mean bad. Indeed, many of these beers seem more elegant because of their restraint.

ianjsullivan, Feb 18, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 25.4 oz. bomber into a Hennepin flute.

A--Nice creamy eggshell cap, maybe two fingers, that laces well with excellent retention. The body is a hazy reddish burnt caramel. Looks like the inside of a plum.

S--Pretty straightforward, but not in a bad way. More plummy or raisiny than figgy, I'd say. Just not that rich, but then again, I've never had a Japanese fig. Cinnamon coats the edges of the nose, and warms the fruitiness up. Smells like it will be sweet, with considerable caramel pulling through, too.

T--Oh wow, good winter warmer. The restraint here is welcome. The spiciness is gentle, refined, not whack you over the head with a 2x4. You get, essentially, a wisp of cinnamon that tugs clear through the middle of the profile. Any fig flavor remains subdued, and I'm not getting much in the way of those plums or raisins on the tongue, either, which is a shame. Back end of the flavor profile is essentially a brown ale, with some cocoa powder, nuttiness, and hop bitterness packed in there. Kind of like a Belgian Dark without the esters--take away the clove and medicinal qualities, and you have this beer.

M&D--Both are good. I juiced the drinkability on this because, for a winter warmer, this isn't overly spicy or overly boozy, so you could throw back a few no problem.

Interesting spicy amber/brown take on the winter warmer style, if a bit simple. A little like a stripped down Rare Vos.

TheycallmeTim, Jan 04, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My tulip glass fills with a slightly hazy, plum red and one finger of off-white froth that drops fairly quickly, leaving little lace and a film on the glass. A quick swirl brings new life to the head.

Very sweet cherry cough syrup, with some straw, licorice and no figs, but there is some cinnamon.

Ah, there's the fig, in the back, behind the cinnamon, and only in the lingering finish. Flavor otherwise is estranged from the aroma. There is a little bitterness and the hops make no appearance. Some notes of tea can be detected.

This is a full body with syrupy texture and soft carbonation. The alcohol is present, but far less than expected for this style.

While Jubilation is relatively easy to consume, it is just not what I want from a winter warmer. The promise of fig infusion fails to deliver just as this one misses the prerequisites for a sipper or contemplative complexity. Pair this one with beef and enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it claims to be.

SLeffler27, Jul 26, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Presentation: Poured from 21.4oz brown glass bottle (what an odd size) into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a medium brown color, when held to light it is a deep orange in appearance. Really pretty color. Lacing on the glass is superb, 1 finger head that's gone in about 60 seconds.

S: The bottle indicated this is brewed with Japanese figs and cinnamon, but I'm not sure I detect either in the smell. There isn't much to be smelled here to be honest. Trust of the matter is I just can't detect any smells here except some of the malt which is sweet. It's not bad, but not strong either.

T: The taste is however pretty distinct. There is a nice chocolatey malt up front which is delicious. Lingering bitterness indicates the presence of some hops, but isn't bad at all. Quite nice actually and never gets in the way of the malt. The yeast profile reminds me almost of the complexity of a Belgian beer, but not quite. Pretty well balanced.

M: Maybe the most perfectly carbonated beer I've had yet, the tiny bubbles dance across my tongue unlike any beer I've had yet. Weight of the beer is a little thinner than I'd prefer, but the carbonation being so good keeps its score really high.

D: Very high, I could drink a lot of this. Nothing cloying, bitter or bad in any way.

Highly recommended. I'm not sure the cinnamon or fig ever show their presence, but this is a good beer and you should try to find it.

thirdeye11, Jun 10, 2009