1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Suruga Bay Imperial IPA - Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Suruga Bay Imperial IPASuruga Bay Imperial IPA

Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom visit their website
Japan

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
distantmantra

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Baird Harajuku Taproom, Tokyo. Review based on notes from April 2010.

A: Golden-amber with a good amount of white head and light lacing.

S: Big time citrus hop flavor. Grapefruit and lemon are the dominant aromas.

T: Grapefruit is the magic word with the Suruga Bay. However, this does not feel like an Imperial IPA.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is present, but not overwhelming.

O: Fulfilled my desire for hoppy beer in Japan. Fantastic flavor with just the right amount of IPA bitterness. Would definitely drink again, if Baird's North American distributor ever decides to return to Washington state! Yet another reason why a return trip to Japan is a must.

07-01-2011 03:00:32 | More by distantmantra
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

poured from 12oz bottle into chalice july30 2010

A hazy peachy orange with two fingers of head that had decent retention and left some patches of lace

S big on the grapefruit and caramel some mild pine and it smells sweet for a DIPA

T a little more malt and a little booze I couldn't smell but other then that not far from the smell but toned down just a tad

M pretty thick and a little syrupy and the flavors linger for a while, quite nice

D this was a bit of a surprise for me, I had no idea what to expect from a brewer I'd never had before but this worked quite well for me and I would drink it again with no issues

I've had the chance to try several micro's from Japan and have been surprised by most of them in a good way. I hope these brews keep making it on to the shelves here in Alberta

07-31-2010 22:19:23 | More by wordemupg
Kauai_Boy

Hawaii

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

A very light and refreshing beer. The first thing you notice is the fruity, citrus aroma. It pours out cleanly without any residues. This darken bronze color beer is served cold. The taste is remarkably well balance favor of hops, citrus, and spices. This beer has a sweet citrus taste, reminding me of ripen lychee fruit with no bitter after taste. I would definitely drink this beer again. Very enjoyable beer to drink. The only down side to this beer is that it is a specialty beer from Japan and is not widely sold on the market.

10-16-2013 09:09:55 | More by Kauai_Boy
chogm54

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I've heard about baird brewing from a mate just back from japan, time to give it a go.

A - hazy, orange with a thick, frothy head up to 3cm thick. small sediment particles near bottom of glass

s - fruity (citrus, pineapple) aroma, but I'm also getting a herby (oregano) smell

t - citrus and malt taste upfront, slightly salty, not overtly sweet and with a hop bitterness that lets you know its there without taking over. tarty alcohol kick towards the end, with a lingering bitter (with slight malt) aftertaste. Entertaining

m - medium to full body and carbonation, dry texture.

nice, every mouthful tasted slightly different. worth a go for sure, wishing i had a second one to see how it tastes then.

02-28-2014 09:01:33 | More by chogm54
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Exotic fruit flavor and a high level of ingenuity collide as Barid Brewing bridges the gap between Japan and the Pacific Northwest, at least in taste.

Suruga Bay pours with a honey-orange hue that looks strikingly like a mix of grapefruit and orange juices. Equipped with a hoppy haze, the beer releases a creamy dense froth to top the beer until its final sip. Long lasting, the ale sheets the snifter with an abundance of lace.

Juicy and tart aromas of citrus and tropical fruits flood the olfactory senses. Tangerine, apricots, mangoes, pineapple, passion fruit, blood oranges and even papaya all weave into a vibrant scent that's striking of "Hawaiian Punch". With just enough of a malt presence to give the fruity scent a sense of sturdiness and to provide a plumper and riper fruit character, its honey-like aromas support the beer without trying to balance it.

And all that comes even more to life in taste. Its thin sweetness is stuck between honey and caramel and only plays out on the early palate. That's because the hop onslaught to come happens in wave after wave. Citrusy red grapefruit, nectarine, tangerine and apples rise from both the hop and ester contributions for a soft marmalade taste. Then come the tropical taste of pineapple, mango, apricot, papaya and pawpaw. As the fruit flavors tilt toward a dry and bitter finish, the ale remains smooth and mostly clean- only a mild grassy phenol taste washes over the finish with a little extra gusto.

Medium-light in body, this Imperial IPA pulls back on the malt to prefer the dryness that's usually reserved for Standard American IPA. Its light structure of malt and embedded carbonation hold firm while receding evenly and slowly, en route to a dry, warm, and pleasantly acidic finish.

Suruga Bay's fruit character seem as if exotic fruit juices were poured into the glass along side of beer. Its a highly vibrant and juicy ale that evokes mouthwatering tendencies upon its scent alone.

09-30-2013 17:29:40 | More by BEERchitect
doktorhops

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Last of the Baird beers I purchased is Suruga Bay Imperial IPA... we've come a long way Baird Brewing Co *insert pictures of me and some Japanese guy drinking Baird beers together and hugging puppies whilst slowly escalating into random life-endangering pranks*... Ahhh, memories.

Poured from a 360ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Pleasing hazy safety orange body with a firm 1cm white head. Statistics I just made up show that people feel safer when a beer has a safety orange colour.

S: Orange blossom aromas mix with sour apple candy and sweet caramelised pears. An intriguing mix we have here. Once again Baird gets extra points [not that the points mean anything] for experimentation, the good type of experimentation that doesn't involve puppies or bunnies.

T: Damn this is one easy drinking Imperial IPA! Flavours of apple, pear and orange mingle, each imparting their own slant on this brew; sweet caramelised pear, sour green apple peel and bitter blood orange combine so succinctly that I for one am quite impressed, and the 7.5% ABV content is wafer thin - I could drink this like it's 1999, or full-strength for novices.

M: Medium to heavy body, bit of hop resin slickness and a light carbonation.

D: This is so unbelievably well balanced that I'm starting to think the prince of darkness (aka Satan) is running things over at Baird Brewing. Such a delightfully, tasty, want-to-sacrifice-people easy beer. I'm so delirious, is she that serious? I'm a love fool, she shimmers like a California sunrise - now I'm listening to Jamiroquai, but this beer is awesome. Best out of the Baird Beers I've Tried (BBIT - the next acronym to sweep the net). Cram it in your gullet already.

Food match: People.

02-25-2014 15:37:47 | More by doktorhops
lacqueredmouse

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Purchased for me from Slowbeer in Melbourne by @epiclurk. Nice work =)

Pours a hazed and rather still orange colour, with a hint of floating sediment and some languidly forming carbonation. Head is fine, but puffs of pancake bubbles form on the off-white top. Lacing is sudsy but solid. Nice.

Smell takes me back to California. Really pleasant and genuine fresh West Coast hop characters coming through with lovely American freshness. Big citrussy rubbed lemon skin notes, with sweet marmalade and sharp leafy aromas. More subdued than the best examples, but really fresh, bright and stylistic all the same. Top nose.

Palate is also good, stylistically and absolutely. Sharp citric bitterness on the front, which rounds nicely before it crescendoes itself into harshness, mellowing to turned notes of nut and leaf. Barley sugar sweetness on the back. Very nicely balanced, but with a very robust hop bitterness to remind you what it is.

Mouthfeel is smooth and supple, with only minimal carbonation. Sits very pleasantly and softens the palate yet more.

An absolutely cracking IPA. One of the best I've had outside America, and I'd say a good match for most of those as well. Some may argue where the line between IPA and Imperial IPA is drawn, but I don't really care--this is a great beer.

03-18-2011 06:36:44 | More by lacqueredmouse
Oakenator

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance is golden brown in color. Good head and nice lacing on the glass throughout consumption. Mouth feel is solid with healthy carbonation. Aroma is floral hops and sweet. The taste is consistent with the smell with a citrus tang on the back end. For an imperial IPA it is not the strongest or over the top hop flavor but it is nicely balanced.

09-16-2012 03:58:06 | More by Oakenator
ADZA

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

This brew pours a cloudy light apricot hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves behind a one finger creamy head and a rim of lacing,the aroma is basically pine needles,mango,orange zest and some boiled candy,it has a full silky smooth mouthfeel which is nicely carbonated and allows flavours of honey,grapefruit,orange rind,mango and paw paw on the palette followed closely by a caramel,honey fudge bitterness and i dont really need to say it but i will this brew is very drinkable and could drink way more than the one i have here,overall if you have not sampled this fine brew yet i suggest you do cheers.

10-29-2010 08:57:45 | More by ADZA
shigg85

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review, and i'm going to do reviews my way.
I have a Master's degree, and I know how to use my words!
However, I'm going to leave all of the bucolic transmogrification of hoppy liquids back into paintings of sceneries for the real sommeliers out there. I am typing this as I drink it so you get a play-by-play of my reactions.

I'm drinking this cloudy brew from the tap at Vivo's in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Japan, sitting at the counter with a building support column in front of me, hiding myself away from the rest of the patrons in the place, with BT's "Memories in a Sea of Forgetfulness" pulsating through my Audio Technica earbuds.

It's a bit thinner than I expect from an Imperial IPA, but Baird never lets down on taste. There is enough spiciness in this beer to make the fronts of my teeth tingle after a swallow... a sensation I quite enjoy. The 7.5% alcohol content instantly hits me in the back of my head in about a 5 o'clock direction. I have the aftertaste of bacon in my mouth, but I haven't had any for months.

I am more than halfway done now, and I can definitely feel the brew warming the upper half of my belly, a quality I appreciate in a beer during the cold Tokyo winter. I think the spiciness and thin texture of this beer combined with the relatively high alcohol content will nicely lead into a pint of Guinness, helping to add onto the roasted yet drinkable quality of that Irish masterpiece.

Two big thumbs up for this beer.

02-01-2012 08:56:37 | More by shigg85
Naerhu

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased bottle at Osakaya in Shinjuku station for 500 yen.

Ingredient label reads: Malt, wheat, sugar, hops, sugar

I am very glad that Baird has added this to their year round line up.

A - brownish honey body, white head.
S - bold honey flavor, really spicy hop aroma show off the 90 BUs of hops in the boil and double dry-hopping.
T- grapefruit and caramel in dominate the flavor of this beer. I love the spice hop notes.
M - the bottle conditioning really shows in this smooth nicely bodied brew.
D - This a great beer. I'd love to have this on a daily basis, but at 500 at pop, I guess, I'll only get one on special occasions.

07-03-2010 13:13:39 | More by Naerhu