Belzebuth - Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)

BelzebuthBelzebuth

Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)
France

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belzebuth Alström Bros
wendymerissa

03-17-2012 12:38:53 | More by morfius85
rosebud

New Hampshire

4.72/5  rDev +38.4%

Sorry Jason, you must have had a bad bottle of this. This is one of my favorite beers ... it is a huge beer. Huge in flavor, an overwhelming malt presence (indicated on the label), which is great if you like a malty beer, rich golden color, huge in alcohol, though in my opinion doesn't linger on palate, which pleasantly surprised me considering the 15% alcohol content. I usally have a couple bottles of this everytime I hit PA.

01-17-2002 11:48:13 | More by rosebud
mwalters

4.58/5  rDev +34.3%

I've had this beer in my cellar for over a year. At 13% I figured it could age well and it did. There was some sediment, expected, that settled to the bottom of the bottle. I poured it into a snifter and enjoyed the eforvensence, spelling, of tiny bubbles that continued throughout the drinking. This is a devilish little beer, 8oz. At 13% it packs quite a whollop, but is a great experience. I smell strong citrus and exotic flowers. Very very smooth with a slight bite at the end. You can only drink one of these a night, but it's worth it. Available in cute little 3-packs. A definate must buy.

11-07-2006 07:05:40 | More by mwalters

06-05-2012 03:30:42 | More by theminutemen
battlekow

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +32%

"The most unique ale in the world;" disregarding the fact that one thing cannot be more unique than another, does this claim, found on Belzebuth's label, hold any water? Well, it is pretty hard to find French beers...

Pours a pale yellow with little head or lacing relative to beer in general, but a surprising amount given the 13% ABV. I was expecting to smell alcohol, and there is a bit, but mostly smells like a cross between a Hefeweizen and a Euro Lager--funky bubblegum. Alcohol is more noticeable in the flavor, but still not overly obnoxious, considering this is a 13% beer named after Satan. Behind the alcohol are more weizen characters. Definitely strong, but I'm very pleasantly surprised by its drinkability. As for being the most unique ale? It's definitely interesting, but not even the most weizeny non-weizen I've had in the last week; that honor goes to the New Glarus Smoked Rye Bock.

10-18-2005 02:57:50 | More by battlekow
Beermazter310

Nevada

10-02-2013 20:18:14 | More by Beermazter310
clandestine019

04-27-2012 15:44:55 | More by clandestine019
NeroFiddled

4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

Wow! This beer is a real malt and alcohol knockout. What character! Great orange color, but the head immediately disappears (because of the high alcohol). The aroma has some alcohol to it, with alot of fruitiness - pears, orange, floral. The flavor gives a one-two punch of alcohol and intense maltiness with a good amount of complexity. Honey-ish. Light candy. Toffee & Munich malt. Alot of alcohol but fairly well supported by malt flavor and body. Sweetish, but that differentiates it a bit. Definitely a nightcap beer - really interesting and nice beer, but it will rough up your tastebuds. Thank you sir, may I have another!?

07-28-2002 07:05:53 | More by NeroFiddled
Sixpack595

4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

I love beer and I love Whiskey. This is a great beer as long as you like alcohol. Very strong, but the alcohol was fairly well hidden. Not a session beer by any stretch, but still very drinkable compared to other beers in the 10%+ range (yes I'm looking at you EKU 28). Not much carbonation and just a bit foggy, mine had no sediment... is the 15% different from the 13 I've seen mentioned? Malty and sweet, but well hopped and not at all cloying as I feared.

09-23-2003 04:47:41 | More by Sixpack595
1whiskey

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured from a 8.4 oz. bottle. At 13% ABV, 8 oz should be plenty.

Hazy orange color, 2 finger frothy head.

Smell is sweet, spicy, and strong! Mmmm...this is one pungent beer :)

First taste is quite sweet. Golden raisins, nutmeg, cloves make their prescence immediatly known. As it warms it mellows into a softer orange and pepper flavor, and alcohol, while noticable, is not overwhelming as you might expect.

Slick, oily mouthfeel and a fairly thick body are lightened up by the considerable carbonation. Really clean finish for such a strong beer. For a 13% ABV beer, this is VERY drinkable. That said, I would have a hard time finishing more than one.

I wouln't drink this on a regular basis, but I will definately be having this again. A great beer to finish a rich meal. This is worth seeking out.

06-30-2006 07:06:02 | More by 1whiskey
putnam

4.38/5  rDev +28.4%

The aromas emerging from this reddish brass-colored liquid are not intense. They are, however, seductive with cognac, creme brulee and milk chocolate notes. On the palate it is even keeled, with abundant burned sugar, pepper, tobacco and spice flavors. The texture is medium rather than full-bodied - wilting under the glare of 15% ABV probably. It is comparable to J. W. Lees Harvest Ales, only less sweet and with a bit more heat. This might be a worthwhile candidate for the cellar.

06-15-2004 00:36:50 | More by putnam
AccidentalKate

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance: Gold with amber tints. crisp, nearly clear. A white head that lasts several minutes.

Aroma: sweet and malty, with citrus in the background. There's a small hint of hops, but it's below the other aromas. Just about the stereotypical aroma for a Belgian Pale Blonde ale.

Taste: Sweet and malt, but it doesn't leave a cloyingly sweet aftertaste that you get with some overly malty brews. Hint of toffee on the finish. Just the slightest bit of bitterness on the back of the palate. And then the hit of alcohol brushes your nose at the end. Very pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, light carbonation. Judged against the criteria of the BJCP, the alcohol hit is a weakness, but hey, I like it.

Drinkability: A very nice beer that borders on great. The mouthfeel could be a little more present, and the high alcohol content does make this less than a standard blonde ale. However, if I were to submit this for judging, I'd throw this under the speciality beer category and take a chance there. This is a good, nearly great beer, but should not be considered the standard bearer for strong blonde ales.

08-03-2009 01:57:25 | More by AccidentalKate
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +27%

This is the a review for the 13% one. I really liked this brew. I saw it was from France, or is it Freedom now, oh well, after I bought it, but I figured, what they hey, give it a shot. Anyways, it had a very nice dark golden caramel color, with an off white head. The head lasted a while, then faded into a lace. The smell was like an imperial, but lighter, and it also had a hint of caramel in the smell. The taste was just like that of the smell. It was mapley, caramel, and citrus type tastes. The aftertaste was quite warming! It left a coating of warmth in the mouth. This is the best French beer I've ever had.

03-22-2003 21:11:40 | More by JISurfer
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +26.1%

15% version. Pours with a cream colored head that settles over heavily sedimented orange liquid. Nose is heavy, with intense maltiness and a solvent-like alcohol aroma. Taste is in your face malt and alcohol...and enough hopping to make you take notice. Burns going down, but not in an offensive way. Fruity tones pop up midtaste, finishing balls to the wall with over the top flavors of malt and strong alcohol. May be overpowering to some, but I think it rocks! Try if you dare!

03-15-2003 21:59:53 | More by beerluvr
DerKaiser

4.3/5  rDev +26.1%

This is delicious beer. I had the 13% abv version. The aroma is just like liquor soaked fruit, with a hint of cinnamon. It's got a nice clear amber color. The head disappeared fairly quickly.

As you might expect with a beer this strong, it drinks more like an after dinner aperitif, and I think it would serve nicely in that capacity. It's got a very viscous mouthfeel, and the flavors are reminiscent of some ports I've had, and also similar to Muscat wine.

You're certainly not going to wash down a burger with this beer, but it's excellent for what it is. I'll keep a bottle or two in the cellar for special occasions.

05-16-2003 19:57:21 | More by DerKaiser
woodychandler

4.28/5  rDev +25.5%

My utmost thanks on this part of The CANQuest (TM) go out to einweizenbitte for his due diligence in seeking out new and unusual beers for this journey.

Beer & Music: Again, not a stretch. The dot/period between the second 1 and the 8 is a forked tail instead and the character depicted is a horned, long-tailed demon with Beelzebub one of the many names for Satan. I have no fear as Bro. Woody with the Order of Disorder and so Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" is queued up ...

From the CAN: "CANned in Holland". Bring it on, you lowlanders!

Crack & Glug action: I got a finger of thick, bubbly eggnog-colored head with good retention off my initial pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. I could suddenly understand how oro was such a corrupting influence. F'n' beautiful! Nose was full of (probably) yeast-driven spice, more subtle than simple black pepper, but peppery all the same. Coriander, perhaps? My mouth was watering at this point. Mouthfeel was medium, but its presence was immediate! Holy heat, spice and pepper, Batman! This is not a beer for amateurs. OMFG, if we had access to this in our teens (which is when I developed an affinity for beer), I would not be here today. I looked into the empty CAN and I could see clear into ...

... the well! What did you think? I told you, I am a monk. it is the ways of the flesh that entice me, not simple vices like drinking beer all day on a Sunday. Uh oh. Is it suddenly warm in here, or is that just me?

I'm back. Just me and my new buddy from down the street at 666 N Queen (I (used to) live at 736 N Queen) come to pay me a visit and drink some beer. Dang, it's hot in here. And why is there now screaming coming from the cellar? Dude, are you Native AmeriCAN or is that the worst sunburn ever? Yo, man is as red as chewing tobacco!

Oh, now I get it. Finish finished me. Wow, this was a beer to be reckoned with. Hot, dark fruity, excellent lacing, a mild burn in the back of my throat. If this was not the death of me literally, it may be eventually. Proceed with caution and do NOT put this in your cooler. Zounds!

09-05-2010 20:00:00 | More by woodychandler
malmquna

France

4.28/5  rDev +25.5%

Lacy white head forms a web over a dark-honey colored beer. The lace stays Aroma almost of toasted rice or soy, very unexpected.

A lot going on in the flavor department. Along with the anticipated sweet mild roasted malt character and very subtle hop bitterness, a nearly vegetal, chewy umami quality pervades. It is initially a bit discordant, but is ultimately harmonious with this otherwise rather tasty Belgian Strong Ale.

Mouthfeel is bold, with effervescence throughout. Alcohol is present from first sip to last, lending some dryness in the bitter-sweet finish.

Quite good, albeit for the unexpected aroma that turned into an interesting savory base for this strong ale. Rather distinct.

02-06-2010 21:08:24 | More by malmquna

05-07-2013 07:14:16 | More by Braz
Bunnyhop

Georgia

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

A clear, orange-yellow Strong Ale with a dissipating, effervescent, white head. The smell is sweet and bubblegum-like, along with a definite presence of alcohol (not surprising since it is quite strong 15% abv). At first I taste a peppery effervescence, followed by a smooth sweetness, finishing with a strong alcohol taste. The body is heavy and firm in my mouth. Overall, I found this FABULOUS and STRONG! I like Belgian beers, especially stronger ones, this was very Belgian-like, and there is no denying the strong alcohol presence. I like the name of this too, Belzebuth...isn't it devilish.

(source: PremierGourmet; Buffalo, NY)

02-18-2003 17:43:18 | More by Bunnyhop
lpotter

07-04-2012 16:18:34 | More by lpotter
acemathew

Sampled on 03-29-2011
Bottle is dated for best by date of 28-02-11

Poured tall into Hennepin Tulip

Appearance Has a nice head and great lacing

Aroma-Smells ridiculously malty letting it warm up whilst I enjoy my own 'Something Different Ale'

Taste-Sweet and malty little overall bitterness qualities you would expect.

Very subdued alcohol for a 13% beverage. Finish is nice and clean.

Mouthfeel is smooth and easy going.

I have a sense that this beer is better fresher.

But aging melted the abv into this device. Very good overall.

03-31-2011 15:05:35 | More by acemathew
Belzebuth from Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)