Belzebuth - Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)

BelzebuthBelzebuth

Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)
France

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belzebuth Alström Bros
ThatguyJoefromBoston

Australia

11-28-2011 15:10:50 | More by danieelol
ManekiNeko

1.27/5  rDev -62.8%

13% version. 25 cL bottle served chilled in a Maudite snifter simply for the name resonance, though my Duvel tulip would have worked just as well.

Appearance: Very orange in color. Problably the orangest beer I've ever seen. Crystal clear as well. A modest, off-white head forms as quickly as disappears, leaving a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Alcohol is very prominent on the nose, but caramel malt, banana, and golden raisins can also be sensed. These other smells are all but obliterated by the booze, though. Still, it's a bit tempting...

Taste: Then I remembered the wages of sin are death, or in this instance, "Blech!" Strong alcoholic taste is not masked in the least. No attempt is even made to do so. World Wide Stout hides its liquor better than this and it's almost twice as strong. Faint malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Damn this stuff hurts going down. Too much like whiskey or scotch to my taste.

Drinkability: Nasty, foul stuff. Don't be fooled by this spawn of Satan. I should have brought a different bottle back from the store... like maybe some Clorox. I pondered pouring this down the drain, but I was scared of what it would do to the plumbing.

09-21-2003 17:29:12 | More by ManekiNeko
brdc

Wisconsin

1.58/5  rDev -53.7%

Small capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Hazy orange, lots of sediment, very thin white head that does not hold at all; little to no lacing as expected for the high ABV.
Aroma is alcohol, grains, a strong note of corn. Thin on the mouth, it is excessively hot even after well over one year of aging; grainy, with little maltiness to be noted. It is not the hottest beer out there, but it has very little else other than some grains and alcohol.
Not wortwhile.

03-19-2009 00:53:35 | More by brdc
bkilpatr

Oregon

1.63/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured from a 250 ml bottle into a Chimay glass. 11/25/08.

Pours a golden-amber color with about half a finger of whitish head. The head dropped quickly to almost nothing. Aroma is sweet malt, grain, and alcohol.

Taste is a bit of sweet caramel with sweet malt and candied sugar. There's a huge amount of alcohol in the taste. Feel is medium-bodied with plenty of carbonation. Plenty of heat from the alcohol on the way down. Drinkability is pretty low. The alcohol (13%) is very apparent in every aspect of this beer.

Overall, not pleasant at all. Too much alcohol that overpowers everything. This beer is a drain pour. I can't recommend this at all.

11-26-2008 05:28:48 | More by bkilpatr
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

1.73/5  rDev -49.3%

I think this is my 2nd beer from France and all I have to say is leave the brewing to the Belgians. Looks nice, pours a golden orange color. Smells though like cheap malt liquor. Tastes like somebody put vodka in a malt liquor, real harsh alcohol burn. Overall it's a pretty picture that just gets ugly real fast. I did finish it but I'm only going to remember it as being another dissapointing beer. Try at your own risk.

08-21-2006 00:52:59 | More by Manosbeeroffate
beernads

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

04-11-2013 06:21:48 | More by beernads
Beerlover

1.78/5  rDev -47.8%

this beer has been sitting on the warm shelf of the store I work at since I started...close to two years ago (9/1/11) and was sitting on the warm self well before then, has a date on the bottle, don't know its the "bottled on" or "best by" date...(I hope it that former) of 28.09.09. that September 28th 2009, so this beer is well over 3 and a half years old at least!

appearance: unlike anything I've seen before, clear, filtered, no head at all but looks like it's be an off white, but it's the color that really gets me on this one...it's like...a greyish brown color...?! weird, maybe I shouldn't drink this. but i'm so curious...hope it doesn't kill this cat!

smell: not bad, not good but not bad smells like sweet booziness with some sourness and caramel.

taste: ha! had my wife try this before I took a sip, (she knows nothing about beer but does appreciate a good beer from time to time) she said "taste like grape juice, weird funky grape juice...ICK! its sour! really sour!" that's funny! sorry honey...hahaha. and now my turn... OMG! YEP! drain pour! not only that, she couldn't have hit the nail on the head anymore! exactly what she said!!

I think I need to find a much fresher specimen for this one!

06-13-2013 05:07:21 | More by Beerlover
ohmybock

Georgia

1.95/5  rDev -42.8%

I like some hard-to-like beers, but I didn't care for this one at all. The flavor was way too simple for such a stong beer. The alcohol was also way too stong for me with nothing to back it up. It was interesting, but not something I would ever buy again.

05-28-2007 23:13:32 | More by ohmybock
Naes

1.95/5  rDev -42.8%

This one is golden brown in color with orange hues. There is little head to speak of.
The aroma is somewhat malty with a slight alcohol presence.
The flavor is very malty sweet and the alcohol becomes quite noticeable near the finish. There is also a fruity quality to this beer; perhaps it’s raisin.
Mouth feel is thick and highly carbonated.
Drinkability is low due to the thick mouth feel and high alcohol content. Also, the flavor does not agree with me.

01-17-2006 02:41:28 | More by Naes
Culture

07-10-2013 22:10:11 | More by Culture
BGsWo22

03-21-2013 00:24:18 | More by BGsWo22
BeerBeing

2.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Presentation: 8.4oz brown glass generic bottle, multicolored on black label, gold foiled neck

Appearance: cloudy rust color, minor off-white head, almost no lacing

Smell: alcohol, alcohol, alcohol and malt in background

Taste: "very" full body, "fatty" mouth feel, VERY strong malt, ALCOHOL, hoppy bitterness, minor fruitness

Notes: I review 13% version. One time is enough (not gonna "EAT" it again)

10-05-2005 23:26:17 | More by BeerBeing
moderndrunkard

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

2.05/5  rDev -39.9%

These crazy frenchmen and their extra-strong devil beer...

Some people like to start their night out with a couple shots. Today I'm going with some Belzebuth.

Pours a clear August-afternoon sunshiny amber with a small amount of head, about one skinny finger.

The smell is all yeasty and fruity. I smell pear. Very sweet.

The taste is very pungent, if a taste can be said to be pungent. Alcoholic and phenolic. Actually leaves a bitter taste for all that high-alcohol sweetness, but it's a phenolic bitter taste, and quite off-putting. Just doesn't taste natural to me. As it warms it becomes much more tolerable, but in the end, I was glad I only had 25cL of it.

05-31-2006 14:25:31 | More by moderndrunkard
srrn

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

Hazy deep golden brew with light white head. Smells and tastes like I remember Colt 45 tasting (been a long time since I had one of those but it brought back memories). Spicey alcohol in the taste with a relatively clean aftertaste. I like many high ABV beers but this is not one of them, it's not complex enough for sipping and the ABV is too high for quaffing down a few. I did not finish this brew.
I reviewed the 13% version.

03-11-2007 13:09:52 | More by srrn
stoutlove77

Arizona

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

The French have given up again, this high ABV contestant reminds me having shots of whiskey with a little club soda, the color is amber and head was small with a tan color. This had one note that was all for it, smell sweet alcohol, taste like J.D., mouthfeel also like whiskey, there is really nothing I can note to determine what I like from this, where is the beer? Experimenting with high ABV has been done and perfectly masked by some other brews, this one can be used to fight germs and bad breath.

01-30-2003 15:12:33 | More by stoutlove77
Winter

Wisconsin

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

13 % ABV. Best by 28.05.04 marked on the 8.4 oz bottle. Pours a pale amber with an off-white head. Aroma consists of apricot and yeast. Mouthfeel is thin to medium in body. Taste is harsh and oddly flavored. The alcohol is so dominant, unbalanced and overpowering that it kills any flavor subtleties that this beer might have. From what I could pull out it, there seems to be an alcohol sloshed fruitiness, oak (at times), grain and some stomped out caramel malt. Alcohol warms the back of the throat and chest as it goes down.

It's not surprising that a beer that so prominently advertises its 13% abv on the neck and bottle label is all about one thing- the alcohol. Is the abv here a selling gimmick? To me this beer has little appeal and is totally lacking in the flavor department.

11-25-2003 22:25:42 | More by Winter
DoubleJ

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

How about that 13% ABV? Although this beer has caught my eye more than a few times, I never had the courage to pull the trigger on this highly alcoholic French beer. The label says "bière de fermentation haute", meaning top fermening. However, I'm also been told Belzebuth switched to a lager yeast, according to a Belgian beer enthusiast. Anyways, 250 ml are coming, so let's start drinking:

ZZZ, uh, whut? Oh, yeah. Beer. Focus. The color looks rather dull. It's not quite orangey or bronze colored liquid, on the paler side. Despite the high alcohol level, there's a small layer of head staying on top and dots of lace stay around the glass. That nose....if you like rubbing alcohol and white grapes, you'll really dig this. To me, a neutral spirit with a slice of fruit may be a better option, but I digress....

There's taste alright. Lots of sweetness. To be fair, the first part of the sip isn't so bad, tasting like a reasonable strong beer. But with time, the sweetness gets more out of control. Awful tasting cough drops immediately hit and continue. Rubbing alchol kicks in, and kick in hard. Light biscuity note lingering in the aftertate along with those listed attributes. It's strong, but it doesn't feel like a "weigh me down" beer, and it's a little syrupy too. The alcohol is not shy to show itself, tasting of metals. More oddball metallic flavor comes around and sticks hard in the aftertaste.

A very disjointed strong ale. Some parts are tolerable, and the rest is just NO. I can't take much of this. I hope the fauna below is thirsty.

06-04-2012 05:28:48 | More by DoubleJ
Andreji

Colombia

2.15/5  rDev -37%

Had long time kept this brew unpurchased at my local store til one day it jumped right out at me, so i bought it. At first, The reddish translucid pour, scarce headed seemed to have a certain belgian air (like bush or kwak). The first smell, packed with malt wasn't the most appealing though. and the taste itself knocked me right out of place. Excessively sweet as though trying to [unsuccessfully] mask the 13% ABV that fills up your nostrils and mouth rather too much. First and last time.

04-29-2004 14:34:36 | More by Andreji
mntlover

Tennessee

2.17/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours a light brown with amber hints small head no lacing to speak of. Smells of sweet malt light fruit hiding in background. Tastes of malt, carmel and little fruit then the alcohol hits and boy is it strong, not hidden at all. Mouthfeel was fine but drinkability is terrible this beer not for me. If you want alcohhol taste get a bottle of Makers Mark much smoother and tastier then this beer. My bottle had 13% on it not 15% as on site dated 28.03.05 guessing its a best buy date.

06-22-2004 20:14:12 | More by mntlover
Samuel906

2.25/5  rDev -34%

Oh my god is this a hard beer to drink. Basically it has all the fixings of a decent Belgian: wheat, banana, cloves, lemon and some malt. But it goes rapidly downhill from there. Basically, the best way I can put it is pour a small glass of an ok Belgian, pour a tablespoon of sugar in it, and then pour a shot of cheap vodka in it. Pretty much sums up what is going on in this beer. Overly sweet and super boozey, sticky and hard to drink. I'm glad I got it because this beer had always made me curious, but my curiosity has been piqued.

03-16-2014 01:40:36 | More by Samuel906
impending

2.33/5  rDev -31.7%

25cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent orange butterscotch, what little head that formed dissipated rapidly, no lacing, minimal carbonation.

Cloying sweet aroma, hard to get past the sugars to what could be a complex underbelly.

Massive residual sugars dominate the flavor, no bitter, no dry. The fusel alcohol is almost an appropriate counterbalance to the sugars but it isn't. Full bodied syrupy mouthfeel.
No sense of cultured restraint.
cheers
jd

07-26-2011 04:38:14 | More by impending
gmcfarre

Colorado

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Served from 25cl bottle with 9/28/06 freshness date. Back label stakes the claim that belzebuth is "the most unique ale in the world". Hmm, lets see here...

A - Head small (maybe 1/2 a finger) and leaves in a hurry. Copper/cider color with constant stream of carbonation coming up from the bottom.

S - Alcohol (whisky-like scent), not much else, a hint of raisins. I expected a little more complexity.

T - Slightly sweet malt, no bitterness at all. Taste seems to bypass the front of the tongue and attack the middle. Alcohol not as present in taste as smell, raisins remain though.

M - Nothing special. Not heavily carbonated, pretty smooth. Goes down easy at first, but at the drink progresses alcohol got harsher and harsher.

D - Although it has 13% abv, it doesn't necessitate sipping. Quaffable at first, but alcohol bites more later in the drink.

No interesting complexities to ponder. Probably wouldn't pay for another.

10-06-2005 22:08:59 | More by gmcfarre
Belzebuth from Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)