Belzebuth - Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)

BelzebuthBelzebuth

Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)
France

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belzebuth Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Belzebuth “13% Version”:
This version was produced when the French raised the taxes on any beer as I understand it that was in excess of “13%”.
The color on the pour a translucent deep gold with a personable head that is semi-creamy in texture and a bright white color, the lace form's a decent sheet to cover the glass. Nose that of a typical lager, crisp and clean, somewhat sweet, with a hint of fusel alcohol and the start cloyingly sweet, nicely malted with the top light to medium in feel. Finish is fairish in its acidity; the hops are subdued but seem to perk up a bit as the beer warms to the glass and the room. Aftertaste is quite dry and it lingers for quite sometime, a definite “Warming Sensation” in the “Tummy, I must say I don’t dislike this beer, of all the “European Strong Lagers” I’ve sampled, I find this one along with the 15% version to at least have a body and a nice malt profile.

Belzebuth “15% Version”:
Well, I’ve heard and read a lot about this beer, mostly negative, but I always like to judge or review for myself. Color on the pour is translucent golden amber, the head modest in size, creamy in its texture and the remaining lace a nice coating sheet. Dominated by the malt, alcohol quite pronounced also, crisp and clean and not all that unpleasant. Front is sweet, the top skeletal and the finish “ZAP, ZING, POOF, ZOWIE” all alcohol Baaaabbbby! Whew, moderate carbonation and sparsely hopped and the aftertaste alcohol bitter and dry. More like "Jim Beam" Bourbon than a beer. "Bad", I’d say “No”, different, Oh yes, not a beer meant for the weak of palate, heart, stomach, or those that have any palate at all. Not something I would want to drink on a regular basis, but "Hey I like it”, but then I'm a bit weird. Oh I almost forgot, I've got a six pack aging away, wonder what it will be like in a couple of years?

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Strange beer, which I swear I have tasted before, but no matter. Poured a completely clear amber with virtually no head an no lace. Smelled of slight carameland raw, raw esters. Taste was also very raw and gritty with a characteristic lack of flavor profile found in a lager. Interesting none the less. Totally full of alcohol and not much else. Mouthfeel was somewhat carbonated but in a weird way. I remembered that it tastes like Midas Touch. Just weird. I don't recomend drinking more than one, but one is worth a shot.

2.9/5  rDev -15%

Smaller bottle set me back a few bucks. I wanted to try it out becasue I pass it every day at the store and it just stares at me. Nice looking bottle, smaller than usual. I'm assuming because of the 15% abv. Pours a thick cloudy amberish color. Very fizzy gold head arises right away. The alcohol is easily noticed in both taste and smell. I would try this but not something that I will buy regularly. I don't enjoy the taste of the alcohol. I've had other beers that are around 15% and the alcohol taste is subdued. This is one spicy kick.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

250ml. bottle. Lable states: 15% abv. Best by date: 3/03. A little late? I hope not.

Pours a cloudy deep amber. Plenty of floaties about. A very small head and little lacing. Scents are huge in alcohol and some dried fruit. Dried apricots and apples come to mind.

Strange flavors. The alcohol is warming and not too bad with the bite but supresses the flavors. Caramel flavors and a huge dried fruit flavor dance around the alcohol. They are very present but this beer is unbalanced. Too much alcohol. Very unique and unrefined flavors.

A bit opressive on the old taste buds. An overwhelming crispness. Alcohol is warming but it is too dominant. Not an easy drinking beer. It has to be forced down.

Despite the best before date, if I buy another of these beers I will cellar it for a year. It was too unbalanced and harsh.

2.1/5  rDev -38.4%

13 % ABV. Best by 28.05.04 marked on the 8.4 oz bottle. Pours a pale amber with an off-white head. Aroma consists of apricot and yeast. Mouthfeel is thin to medium in body. Taste is harsh and oddly flavored. The alcohol is so dominant, unbalanced and overpowering that it kills any flavor subtleties that this beer might have. From what I could pull out it, there seems to be an alcohol sloshed fruitiness, oak (at times), grain and some stomped out caramel malt. Alcohol warms the back of the throat and chest as it goes down.

It's not surprising that a beer that so prominently advertises its 13% abv on the neck and bottle label is all about one thing- the alcohol. Is the abv here a selling gimmick? To me this beer has little appeal and is totally lacking in the flavor department.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

This poured a color that I don't ever remember seeing before. Really bright orange with a little head. The smell is all alcohol, is this liquor? Taste has some malts upfront. The malts are acidic like oranges or something like that and then BAM, the alcohol hits me tongue and I'm instantly thrown askew by this shot of vodka that is supposed to be beer that has just entered my mouth. Slight spices and yeast are the only things that help me finish this beer. Man oh man this is unique. Belly warming sensation running through my entire body. Tastes like a beer with a shot of vodka dropped in it. But I will go back again, this one intrigues me too much.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance – Light, clear, and florescent orange in color, almost like an AT, with a smallish head.

Smell – Very sharp orange aroma with a warning of alcohol. There’s also a deep, dedicated malt base.

Taste – This is quite good. The alcohol sense was a little over-the-top, but the malt and orange came out nicely. There’s also some fine spicing here. I swear this is much more like a BSPA than a lager, and it’s certainly not a pilsner of any kind.

Mouthfeel – The sharp alcohol sting is the only thing that hurts this one. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with very subtle carbonation.

Drinkability – Give me that at maybe 8 or 10% and I’ll drink it all day. The vodka sting was a little much, but otherwise this was a nice ale. It is diverse and complex, refined, and very flavorful.

3.78/5  rDev +10.9%

250 ml bottle served in the appropriate, 4 oz. (i think) glass at Anam Cara. Poured a clear deep yellow, no stirring of the sediment when pouring only 1/2 the bottle, no head. The second glass, poured more vigorously, allowed for an inch or more of creamy off white head. The scent of he first glass was simply alcohol, while the second had more evidence of the yerast in the nose.
The taste of this beer is unlike any other i've tried. An assertive mouthfeel, but crisp and obvious high alcohol content. notes of sour apple and chalky yeast, slightly astringent. hot alcohol from the back of the throat to the belly to the exhale after each sip. As for drinkablity, more than a bottle of this could make a strong man weak in the knees. There's a grinning devil on the bottle and the glass, and I was a grinning devil drinking it. Excellent, and aging may make it better.

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Nice amber color. Thin head that disapears quickly. Mouthfeel is good, but the flavor is a little strong. You can definitely tell this is a high octane beer (my bottle said 13%). It smells and tastes very strong. The bottom line is thats its an intersting beer to have once, but its not good enough to drink on a regular basis.

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Cloudy, red-orange body, short-lived head, slight lacing.

Brassy, malty aroma.

Thick and foamy in the mouth. Darkly sweet, like a barleywine on steroids. Aftertaste is sharp and bitter with very evident alcohol.

I'm not sure what this beer is for. It's like taking a very foamy shot of hard liquor. Not a beer that I would recommend.

4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

I love beer and I love Whiskey. This is a great beer as long as you like alcohol. Very strong, but the alcohol was fairly well hidden. Not a session beer by any stretch, but still very drinkable compared to other beers in the 10%+ range (yes I'm looking at you EKU 28). Not much carbonation and just a bit foggy, mine had no sediment... is the 15% different from the 13 I've seen mentioned? Malty and sweet, but well hopped and not at all cloying as I feared.

1.27/5  rDev -62.8%

13% version. 25 cL bottle served chilled in a Maudite snifter simply for the name resonance, though my Duvel tulip would have worked just as well.

Appearance: Very orange in color. Problably the orangest beer I've ever seen. Crystal clear as well. A modest, off-white head forms as quickly as disappears, leaving a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Alcohol is very prominent on the nose, but caramel malt, banana, and golden raisins can also be sensed. These other smells are all but obliterated by the booze, though. Still, it's a bit tempting...

Taste: Then I remembered the wages of sin are death, or in this instance, "Blech!" Strong alcoholic taste is not masked in the least. No attempt is even made to do so. World Wide Stout hides its liquor better than this and it's almost twice as strong. Faint malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Damn this stuff hurts going down. Too much like whiskey or scotch to my taste.

Drinkability: Nasty, foul stuff. Don't be fooled by this spawn of Satan. I should have brought a different bottle back from the store... like maybe some Clorox. I pondered pouring this down the drain, but I was scared of what it would do to the plumbing.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

The appearance is nice with a good orangish copper color that is very clear. It has a average amount of head the fades by the time you are done with the drink. IT has malt, sugar, and alcohol smell to it But, very little hops to be noticed. The taste was ok but I found that the 13% alcohol was a little overwhelming to the taste. It packed a punch (making it somewhat hard to drink) but because of that, it lacked in other tastes. It had a somewhat malty taste with little bitterness. Overall - an ok beer, but I found it to be somewhat disappointing.

Pours an orangish golden hue, smells and tastes of candied sugar, One hearty beer for the soul. I think this beer has been underestimated in the past. A solid malty profile with a belgian golden taste, I like this one. I'd reccomend this to penny pinching extreme beer fans.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Super clear tannish golden. Nice head with attractive retention.

Aroma: Big fruity aroma followed by alcohol-stabbing attacks. Grapey notes under the blanket of alcohol filling the air.

Taste: Sharp taste. Tingles with alcohol, cutting across the middle of the tongue. The lingering bitterness and flavor seems to stem from the alcohol in the taste. The cherry sweetness seems meek when pushed aside from the alcohol presence. Mouthfeel nice even though the beer doesn't taste quite balanced.

Notes: The first taste of this beer is very overpowering. After a few sips it becomes very interesting, and the flavors seep out a little bit more. Certainly a good beer for sampling, but not a great beer for long term drinking.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

13% ABV in an 8.4oz bottle. A lotta punch in a small package. The whole bottle easily pours into my smaller-than-a-pint glass, a golden, heavily carbonated brew for sure. Thousands of large bubbles cascade from the bottom of the glass. Alcohol is prevalent in the nose, though candy and sweet malt are traceable. Belzebuth packs a carbonated feel, very champagnelike in character. Flavor has a good deal of noticeable alcohol, though it isn't so strong that it is overpowering. A mild candy like sweetness underlies the alcohol. This is like a less hoppy barleywine on steroids. I'd prefer a barleywine, but this is an interesting brew and perfect for me at this very moment. Aging would be interesting. Definitely worth a try.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

This was something I just had to try. I had a 13% ABV version. It poured a orange/reddish color with a decent head that vanished in the blink of an eye. It poured like pop with all of the carbonation. It left a small lace around the glass. The smell was mostly alcohol along with the taste. There is a little malty sweetness hidden under the alcohol. The taste gets better once it sits a little bit. A lot of alcohol. Definitely a warming brew. Definitely not an everyday brew. Not bad for 13%.

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%

A frightening ale, this, that used to be available briefly, in MN, and which I tried in the days before I sat down to write about every beer. My strongest, most succint impression then was "it tastes like drugs" and, though this bottle says 13% and my previous samplings were 15%, those are still the best 4 words to use.
Appearance: a clear pale reddish hue, with a small, swiftly settling white head.
Aroma: booming fruit, huge, even suffocating alcohol. Wickedly sweet, damned powerful. Just drinking it in the nose could put you into drunkenness!
Fierce on the palate, BOOM!BOOM!BOOM!---unrelentingly hot and potentially damaging! I feel as if malt is providing too little flavor, hops are not helping either, and no parts of this beer are resisting the dominance of the occupying alcoholic forces. Gets to work in the brain quickly, like a French malt likka.
Intensely burning and buzzing, incredibly alcoholic and flavorful, but--OW!OW!OW!!!...too much so. Too, too much so. Good for a novelty perhaps, but nothing you'd reach for to quench your thirst or get you relaxing.
Thanks to JohnnyDuvel for putting it back in my hands again.

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Well, I finally tried the famous (or infamous) Belzebuth. I was actually a little hesitant to try it. I've had several people make horrible faces and comments when I've asked about it. Overall, it is nothing to be afraid of, but nothing special either. Dull pour, with little head or lace (to be expected). After that, a little sweet malt and the rest is all booze. When consumed slowly, not that hard to take. I certainly wouldn't drink two, and I really can't see any reason to try it again. If you're looking for a fast buzz, there's other better tasting beers with almost as high an ABV. I'm glad I tried it, now on to Samichlaus!

3.2/5  rDev -6.2%

This brew pours a small head of quickly diminishing small fizzy bubbles. It had a light orange brown color. The aroma contained notes of malt, hops and a discernable alcohol content of medium strength. It had a stong alcohol flavor that was very over powering the other flavors. It was smooth yet burned as it went down. Truely a devilish brew!

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

13% version.

Glowing amber. Perfectly clear. Head is absent except for an intial film.
Grain alcohol wafts with underlying but substancial green raisins and orange peels.
RIdes in with an intial dark fruit surge. Figs and raisins and grape jam. A more intricate tropical fruit essence begins to materialize via mangoes and oranges, but is instantly swept away in the vicious vodka-esque alcohol riptide. Very sweet but rough and ragged.
Devastating while chilled.
Once warmed, this is still a heaty beverage, though tamer and more drinkable. Woodier, with oak and cedar notes. Suppressed vanilla and nutmeg. Green apple peels. Traces of honey-roasted nuts. A butter-toffee base provides a malt offset for the assertive alcohol content which swings closer to scotch as it sits. Ever-so-slightly smoky. Some sweeter bourbon nuances as well.
In all honesty, this one is all about the brute alcohol strength. At any temperature below cellar results in a glass full of windshield-wiper fluid. The girth of the ABV never hides once it heats up a bit, but it adopts more manageable and interesting characteristics.

Surprisingly light-bodied, clocking in around medium, without any sense of cloying or coating stickiness. The exiting blast of etoh helps vacate the mouth and lends a huge pepper spiciness along with a burning sensation south of the epiglottus.

Fearsome and fierce, but not without redeeming qualities.
This one started to grow on me. A 750mL of this would have likely numbed me enough (and killed enough braincells) to rate it even higher. Certainly worthy of a whirl.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%

15% alcohol version--- Orange gold color, small head. Aroma is malt and alcohol. Very interesting. Malty and complex flavors. Alcohol bite/flavor is VERY evident. There are a lot of different flavors going on here. Oranges, wood, smoke and cinnamon and some other spiciness. This stuff reminds me more of a liqueur like Grand Marnier or a scotch or Burbon than beer. Despite the high alcohol content, which is always present, it fairly smooth. It also mellows as it warms to room temperature. Would age very well. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is a sharp alcohol oilyness.

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

This one's a bit of an ass-kicker. Pours a very clear but syrupy orange/brown with an off-white head that dissipates somewhat surprisingly fast. The aromas are intense and aggressive on the senses -- alcohol, fruit, candi sugar, and flowers. Very aromatic despite the lack of head. Big mouthfeel -- alcoholic, chewy, and just flat-out huge -- with a lot of flavor. The alcohol flavor is a little overwhelming at points, but some sweet sugar fruit notes are present up front, and there's a little bit of a dry snap off to the finish. This is one that you can feel in the belly from the first sip. A very good brew. Might this be an actual bottle of "Whoop Ass?" Just a little too strong to be really drinkable, a little too alcoholic to have a great flavor, and just a bit flat in appearance to be visually interesting. But overall, a nice treat.

Whew! Packs a wallop! Pours a deep amber with a fast fading off-white head and just wisps of sliding lace. Spicy hop, clove and potent alcohol aroma. A fairly rich and sweet malt. Highly hopped, only the powerful alcohol punch fairly well disguises the type of bitterness. Some piney notes sneak in along with some caramel sweetness. An "Extreme" beer? ps - This one is 13% ABV. The 15% version must a knockout!

2.38/5  rDev -30.2%

Sorry, I'm a beer drinker not a wine drinker. Actually this tastes like vinegar to me. I just do not like this style.

Bottle label is interesting. Pours without head. Yellow/orange. Smells like horsebarn. Smell is worse as it warms up. Tastes like vinegar. Very tart apples underneath the vinegar. Don't get me wrong I like strong(alchohol)beer but this stuff was like drinking a shot. Not for me.

Belzebuth from Brasserie Grain d' Orge (Brasserie Jeanne d'Arc SA)