Warsteiner Premium Oktoberfest - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 09-03-2003

1.23/5  rDev -63.3%

Reviewed as an Oktoberfest, which is proudly stated on the label. "Warsteiner edition, Oktoberfest"....This is bullshit.

As a matter of fact when I bought this brew, I thought " Is this an Oktoberfest, or is it simply Warsteiner with an 'Oktoberfest' label on the bottle.?"

Eye: Nice overall appearance, but not what I want from an Oktoberfest. The head is an almost rocky white, large with good retention and decent lacing but white, whereas it should be more yellow or tan in color. The color of the beer could be more accurately described as as pils, it is crystal clear golden yellow, nothing like an O-fest. Good job Warsteiner, why don't you add an extra pound of malt to each batch and call it an Oktoberfest? What's that? Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the color is a few SRMs darker than Premium Verum, sorry it doesn't look the same....

Nose: Strong aroma, but all wrong for and Oktoberfest. I smell hops, and lots of them, Sazz most likely, in my opinion this is just about the same as Premium Verum. Besides the hops there is also a graininess, no big malt presence as there should be. The aroma is lame, especially for something that they are marketing as an Oktoberfest, this is nothing more than Premium Verum with a fancy Oktoberfest edition label on it, is this beer actually an oktoberfest? No.

Tongue: Okay, here's the first real difference between this and Premium Verum...ready? A bit more malt, oh my God! This shit is amazing, just because its from warsteiner and from Germany it must be an authentic Oktoberfest. Fuck this beer. I am really pissed. This is nothing like an Oktoberfest should be. Shame on Warsteiner for the false advertisement. I mean this is the same as Budweiser changing the color of the aluminum bottles from blue to orange for the fall, looks like a different beer, but its the same shit inside. What a let down...

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This beer is light bodied and of a higher carbonation, nothing at all like an Oktoberfest. The label is misleading, damn this beer to hell, damn Warsteiner to hell, may they burn forever. My their beer always be spoiled and infected. I am actually not sorry to say that I will never buy this beer again. Infact were I you, I'd not ever buy this beer, it is not an Oktoberfest, it is Warsteiner trying to con the man into thinking that this is something different, sure all the fratties that drink this will say "Wow, there is so much difference!" but fuck that, this is pretty much the same damned thing! Sure its easy to drink, but I want something for fall, something to celebrate slightly cooler temps, this is not it. This beer is straight out stupid...words cannot express how pissed I am about this beer. Basically, this is not what you're looking for, as a matter of fact noone is looking for this beer, it completely sucks, it is as false as Ashley Simpson on SNL if not more...

1.82/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle Inspection: 330 ml (11.2 fl. oz.) brown bottle. Best before 23 Jul 08 11:14 (sampled 19 Oct 07 20:48). I’ve never seen a best by date and TIME. Premium Ale on the top, but that might be due to our crazy laws.

Aroma: Slight skunky note has me worried. Light metallic edge as well. Mild floral hops with a touch of toasted malt sweetness.

Appearance: Bright gold glass struggles to hold a soapy white cover. Head fails to hold and only gives up spots of lace.

Flavor: Nice German yeast, noble hop toasted barley thing going, but there’s that metallic edge at the finish that really calls the cops on the party. There’s a vegetal note that comes out as it warms with a musty side that really doesn’t help much.

Mouthfeel: Watery and oily, light body, low carbonation.

Overall Impression: Wow, my least favorite Oktoberfest so far. Something funky in there that’s not clean or malty. Can’t recommend this one at all.

1.84/5  rDev -45.1%

Haystack gold with a faint orangish tint. This is definitely one of the lightest Oktoberfests in recent memory. My fear is that the flavor will match the appearance. The lid is a large chunk of bone white foam that looks decent enough and that leaves a decent amount of lace.

If blinded, Euro pale lager would have been my guess after the smell test. There's nothing about Warsteiner Oktoberfest's nose that is the least bit Oktoberfestish. It's pale grainy with an underlying stale, musty hoppiness. I might have suspected old age, but the 'best before' date is still more than five months away.

Maybe... maybe I can taste the resemblance to the stated style, although I still wouldn't have guessed it right off. It tastes as if a few ounces of a substandard Oktoberfest were added to at least three times that much Warsteiner Premium Verum (not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination).

The appearance did not lie. There's an insufficient amount of malt that isn't nearly toasted or nutty enough. This is such a crappy beer that I can't bring myself to go on. How does this brewery continue to survive when there have to be hundreds, if not thousands, of German Oktoberfests that kick its ass up one side of the autobahn and down the other?

Needless to say, the mouthfeel is way too light. It's also insufficiently carbonated and has no spark whatsoever. Thin and borderline flat is a less than compelling combination. Not good. Not good at all.

I would have bet a lot of money that I wouldn't run across a beer as bad as Warsteiner Premium Fresh (a low alcohol beer). Wrong again. I'm pretty damn sure this is the worst Oktoberfest in the long, storied history of Oktoberfests. If it isn't, I don't want to taste whatever is.

Pours a veeerrryyy light, pale golden-yellow color. Definitely not characteristic of the Oktoberfest style. Has an interesting, spicy aroma.

The taste is phenomenally disappointing. Generic flavor almost like a light lager with only a glimpse of any sort of characteristic O-fest kick. Mouthfeel is irrelevant at this point.

Very unpleasant and not good at all. Don't even bother with this beer.

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

This beer poured a golden wheat color and looked more like a Pilsner than an Oktoberfest. It had a pure white creamy head.

The aroma was very earthy/yeasty.

Typically, I split the taste into beginning, middle,and end, but this beer has so little taste that it was hard to break up. The beer tasted like a light Pilsner. There was some bitterness on the back end, but there are no other flavors that stuck out.

Mouth feel was crisp and had slightly above average carbonation.

This was not an Oktoberfest. It should be called Pilsnerfest.

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

A- Pours a clear gold color with a thin white head and little lacing. Not at all what I expected or hoped for.

S- Very weak here also light bready malts.

T- Again weak light bready malts, some yeast and that's about it.

M- Light in body, thin and watery.

D- I struggled with this one big time and gave a lot of the bottles I had away. No thanks.

2.38/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's never too late for an Oktobefestbier...as long as it's consumed before the best by date (which this bottle is). On to the beer:

Clear straw yellowish-orange is the color of the beer, topped off by a big fizzy head. A little grass and skunk in the aroma, not very pleasing. Fortunately the taste is okay. Very simple lager with a sweet note. A kick of alcohol then numbs the tongue. It's very light bodied for an O-Fest, similar feel to a pale lager. I wasn't impressed by this beer.

2.38/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearence reminded me more of a ginger ale, no head or lacing but plenty of carbonation.
It really tastes a lot different from the other Oktoberfest brews I've tried, more like a plain lager. Couldn't pick up any of the pronounced flavors I find in the Sam Adams, Summit, Great Lakes, etc.
It has a very light mouthfeel with almost no lingering after taste and one could drink several of these in a session but there are far better Oktoberfest brewers out there, in my opinion.

2.43/5  rDev -27.5%

this is my least favorite ''octoberfest'' beer that i've tried so far. it has a skunky taste which i'm not a fan of but much worse it has a salty aftertaste.

2.44/5  rDev -27.2%

A - Pours a clear golden straw. Big fluffy 2 finger head. Blots of lacing left behind.

S - Husk and sweet grain. Earthy lager yeast.

T - Spicy hops off the top. Earthy grains flowing heavy. Weird honey kissed malt. The malt slowly starts showing up more as it sets. I poured the beer at 47 degrees F.

This is not a good representation of the style by any means. I think they got the Pilsner tanks mixed up with the Marzen tanks. It's like a macro pilsner with artificial sweetener.

2.45/5  rDev -26.9%

On-tap 9/27/09 at Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass but it doesn't like much like an O-Fest at all.

S: The aroma is of light caramelized malts, spices, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out flavors of spices and berries (not like an O-Fest to have a berry flavor) and there's a thin malt character. The hops presence is mild and does not create much balance. The after-taste is slightly fruity.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, not a good representation of style, there aren't a lot of qualities that make this beer anything like a typical O-Fest and overall, it's not a beer that I would want to drink again.

2.49/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Clear yellow brown. Medium thickness head that doesn't retain well, but leaves lots of lacing.

2.0 S: Really weak smell, the only thing I could pick up was corn.

2.5 T: Not really balanced well. Biscuit malts and a bit of spice are there, but the hop character is minimal.

3.0 M: A bit stingy, but okay otherwise.

2.5 D: Simply a case of a boring, but not terrible beer.

For the price, I have no problem kicking back a few now and then, but one day I'll have some money and won't ever have to drink this again.

2.49/5  rDev -25.7%

By far the palest marzen I've ever seen. Head makes only the feeblest attempt before imploding.

Smell is an improvement upon the appearance although it's hardly earth-shaking. Smells like a typical bock with a touch of grainy staleness.

Not the total train wreck I was expecting. Certainly on the sweet side although in a natural way; honeydew and prunes, if that can be believed. Finishing bitterness really balances the beer out and makes it drinkable. Wow! I ended up stripping a full point off taste after allowing the beer to warm some. Strong flavors of artificial sweetener and must surface.

Tends toward a flat, syrupy mouthfeel. Makes it seem much heavier than it is. Really not impressed with this brew and with so many other Oktoberfests available I'm not sure why you'd choose this one. Definitely a product aimed at Americans familiar with the Warsteiner name but not necessarily classic Oktoberfests.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this brew on tap last evening and was my only mistake of the evening. The brew poured to a light golden color with an amber hue. Had hardly any head and left no real lacing. The aroma was of caramel malts leading to a sweet scent. The taste is very grainy, and not in a good way, mixed with a somewhat sweet taste from the malt. The flavor just seems to be missing something, this is not a very good brew and I feel a pretty poor Octoberfest compaired to Hacker-Pshorr and Paulaner

2.51/5  rDev -25.1%

Since it is the season and, since they had a bunch of Marzens in the Pick-A-Six at Friar Tuck, I grabbed a few Oktoberfests. Unfortunately I grabbed this. Although I generally like Warsteiner, this Oktoberfest sucks.

An aggressive pour yields a thin finger of off-white foam on a clear golden-orange body, and the quick disappearing act of the foam is a bad sign. Weak aromas of malt are another bad omen; faint sweetness is more prominent, unfortunately. Sub-mediocre taste results from scant malt and little character. Roasted malt flavor? Chocolate? Spice? Hardly.

What a disappointment, probably the worst Oktoberfest I've ever had. It's a poor representative of the style and not one I'll ever revisit.

2.52/5  rDev -24.8%

I had this with lunch out and was not impressed. The best by date appeared to be Jun 10,2010 unless that was some other date. It wasn't labeled.

The color was much lighter than most Oktoberfests and the head was non existent.

There was a definite hoppy and citrus presence but none of the typical spices and maltiness I expected.

If you remember college and losing at Beiruit, how the beer you had to drink as a penalty always tasted worse and was hard to get down. Thats what this beer reminded me of.

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown pour, some clarity for a light brown beer, mild head, no retention or lace. Aroma was skunky dishsoap.

Taste of raisin, mild sweetness if you look for it. Light caramel, off flavor metallic bitterness rather than the characteristic smoothness you would hop for, not even nutty depth. Thin body. Not even really easy drinking for me, just kept thinking about the relative rip off price for a beer with hardly any substance to it and a few off flavors. Maybe a little bit of old toffee from grandma's candy dish from like 10 years ago.

Not impressed, wouldn't recommend, especially at close to $10 a 6 pack, I don't know what you're paying for.

2.58/5  rDev -23%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a dimpled mug

The beer pours a golden straw color with a white frothy head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving behind a moderate amount of lacing. The aroma is very mild, consisting mostly of sweet, bready malts. Unfortunately, the aroma is much lighter than I would like and is fairly one dimensional. The flavor light and sweet with a few toasty undertones. The beer finishes with a light bitterness giving the overall flavor a very balanced feel, even if it is a bit too light for the style.

Overall, the beer is decent, but is underwhelming.

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured a light copper color with a thin white head into a Warsteiner Pils glass. Decent lacing around the sides. Aroma was sweet and somewhat corny; typical Euro-lager fare.

I was pretty unimpressed by this beer, considering the quality Oktoberfests I've had this year. There's just not much flavor past your standard corn-mash and bitter-ish hops you would find in any other run of the mill Euro lager. This was maybe a touch sweeter, but it didn't really do it for me. Mouthfeel was carbonated and on the thin side. You sould drink them, but why? There are far superior Oktoberfests here, both craft and German. I'd pass.

2.64/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a clear amber color, paler than most oktoberfests I've tried. 1 white head forms. Decent lacing on the glass, but doesn't stick around too long.

Sweet, malty aroma, not very strong.

Light watery mouthfeel, and watery flavor. Starts malty and ends with a dry, slightly spicy finish.

Really, a poor example of the style.

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Got a 12 pack of this cheep at my local beer shop. Figured it couldn't hurt to toss around at parties.

Light yellow color, small white head, very clear, pretty pils looking... just a shade darker than a normal Warsteiner. Not really to style, sadly.

This is just a slightly more malty Warsteiner. Whoever billed this as an Oktoberfest should be chastised. I'm not sure what else to say, alas... it's too light for the style but isn't exactly offensive, just thin and weak. Biscuity, husky, lightly sweet malt and a timid bitterness are about all you get out of this crisply carbonated brew. Something here actually reminds me of PBR... could be the mouthfeel. Finish is ever-so dry and sports a bit of DMS.

Perhaps the lightest beer to ever call itself an Oktoberfest that has crossed my lips, Warsteiner's offering is really barely average. It goes ok with simple food, I guess... I wouldn't turn this down if offered, but there's no reason to seek this out, either.

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

The Bier Band got together to help celebrate Drummer Steve's Niece's 21 Birthday. We show up to the house and I'm scoping the bier selection. In amongst the Bud Light, Corona, etc.... I stumbled on Warsteiner Oktoberfest... hmmm, never tried it!

Cracked one open and poured it into a mug to produce a loose/pillowy 1" head of pure white. This quickly diminished to nothing in less than a minute. The beer is lighter than most oktoberfest beers that I am accustomed to. More of a pale yellow with a hint of orange.

Nose is very subdued. I pick up a faint toasted malt.

Taste: ODD.... not as robust as I would expect from an Oktoberfest beer. Faint toasted malt, a tiny fruity sweetness, no discernable hops in aroma or taste.

MF: Again, NOT Robust. Thin and a tad bit fizzy.

Drinkabilty: Well, it was better than anything else they had at the party, so I had 5 or 6 over the course of the evening. I wouldn't be seeking this out on purpose....

2.66/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

pours out a light bronze colour with an inch thick foamy head, supported by some active carbonation and leaving some festive lace. aroma is a mix of light toasty/biscuity maltiness with a touch of raw grain and a grassy and slightly herbal hopping. taste follows suit with some vegetal sweetness buoyed by some washed out grainy and grassy herbal flavours. a bit of a hop bite and a sneaky back end alcohol bite makes for a slightly higher ABV euro lager. the lack of overall character makes me think this is along the lines of what might be served during a fest in germany, but the high ABV wouldn't be conducive to drinking copious amounts. anyway, the body is medium and the mouthfeel seems a bit underwhelming, but i keep getting that alcohol bite that makes the overall feel a bit bigger than it really is. it's almost malt liquorish in nature. finishes without any real residual sweetness and malt flavour.

i didn't mind this but didn't really like it much compared to the other o-fest offerings. this might be the worst o-fest i have ever tasted and the high price makes for a bad deal overall. not really recommended.

2.67/5  rDev -20.3%

The beer pours a golden color with a thin fizzy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry, pilsner malt scent with a faint Munich malt sweetness and next to no hop aroma. The taste is below average. It has a very bland pilsner flavor with an ultra dry finish. It's got zero Marzen character and little to be festive about. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with too much CO2. This is a beer for the scrap heap. It's a poor example of the style.

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a mug.

The color is a light gold with three fingers of foamy white head. No lacing.

The smell is thin, some mellow caramel flavor with some sugarieness to this beer but a little muted at the same time. It tested me to find the really flavor profile.

The taste has a light cinnamon flavor. Is not really strong in flavor that pushes through to give you much to go on my but does have some things to talk about.

The lightness of this beer is quite refreshing and feels very good when going down. It is a good beer for the fall seasib but is light so could be good for a warmer day then mid to late October.

Warsteiner Premium Oktoberfest from Warsteiner Brauerei