Warsteiner Premium Dunkel - Warsteiner Brauerei

to view more.
Ratings: 1,310 | Reviews: 590
1.88/5  rDev -46.1%

where's the beef? 1st time offered in local grocer
roasted barley it proclaims on thr box
no ..no and nada
some kinda flavored animal food trough watet

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's an awesome dunkel lager, ok?

3.39/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

decent dunkel to have with dinner, a burger maybe.
clean tasting dark roasted german beer. nothing to write home about.
average all-around.

4.24/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very good in a frosted pilsner glass

3.16/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a stein. A rather rough pour produces a nice-looking beverage with 4 fingers of solid foam sitting atop a clear amber-brown body. Sadly, the head isn't as long-lasting as I'd like. Nice toffee, coffee, and nutty toasted malt notes on the nose.

Disappointing flavor. I'm looking for a nice, round feel and rich clean malty flavors and I'm not getting it. The feel isn't too bad, but the flavor is far too bitter and lemony (skunky?). Everything starts out well. There is a brief toffee note up front, but lemony notes take over and really destroy the flavor. Not sure how this beer has such a nice nose, but such a sub-par taste. Perhaps my palate isn't clear or something. I might have to try this one again sometime just to make sure I'm being fair.

4.61/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smooth, malty goodness that's a great anytime beer.

4.09/5  rDev +17.2%

I'm a big fan. Always up for a good dunkel and this one is pretty tasty

4.44/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoy this beer, I just wish it was a bit higher %APV. Goes down easy. I could drink about a million of these.

3.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decent, session lager. A bit thin but still enjoyable.

4.8/5  rDev +37.5%

Soooo tasty, smooth, and malty! One of my favorite beers of all time. It doesn't have the strongest flavor, but the flavor that is there is great. Just super smooth, easy drinking, dark malty goodness! I could chug these all day long, I can't find a single thing wrong with the taste.

It's not gonna blow you away with intense flavor, but it one sip will put a smile on your face and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm pretty sure the first thing I said the first time I took a sip of one of these was "Mmmmm... malty!" That pretty much sums up the entire experience. xD

Warstiner's pilsner has a very similar flavor, but of course lighter and more pilsner-y. I far prefer the dunkel.

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

At the Top of my list for Dunkels

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess even the Germans can make shitty beer

4.77/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great taste and smooth dark beer!

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Underated, good beer. Not easy to get here.

3.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark, dull color. Vague hints of chocolate here and there. The beer was begging me to eat something with it but I didn't have anything so it took away from my enjoyment of it. Were this paired with bratwurst, a burger, or something similar, I think it would be a 4.

2.53/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Good taste, lower abc than desired

4.48/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Warsteiner, seduce me with your heavenly maltiness... I was introduced to this Dunkel by a friend who assured me I would not be disappointed, and I wasn't.

Appearance: Darkest amber, almost opaque, with vague translucence throughout. A foamy cream-white head that slowly dissipates to a bubbly crown above the lustrous reddish hues.

Aroma: A deep, rustic maltiness that plays off the senses beautifully. It isn't too strong, but it's not too weak either. Goldilocks says it's juuuuust right.

Taste: A gentle malt taste, dark, almost chocolate-like. A little toasty around the edges. A slight bitterness on the roof of my mouth. Clean.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonation on the tongue, with a medium body and creaminess that slides off the tongue like a soft blanket. A very comforting sensation.

Overall: I am definitely a convert to the Dunkel. Warsteiner knows how to make a good, solid brew. I have a case of this stuff at home, along with the Warsteiner Oktoberfest I just bought. I am definitely satisfied with this, and will give it a prominent spot in my fridge.

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Warsteiner's Premium Dunkel last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had this beer in awhile, but when I first started getting into craft beer I drank a lot of these and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. Best by March 24th 2014. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a classic look to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear dark amber color that took one more of a crimson color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking Dunkel that seemed look in line with the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up they impart some nice toasted, caramel, slight toffee and bread crust like aromas with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice nutty aroma that works well with this beer. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it's pretty much what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lighter amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most and there's still some nice and clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes that same nutty aspect that shows up just as much as it did in the aroma. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a toasted malt and nutty aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, just slightly creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought it was a pretty nice beer and a above average example of the style, it's just a good tasting Dunkel and it's just what I've come to expect from a German Dunkel. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, just slightly creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I could drink more than a few of these and it seems like a fitting beer for the fall season. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it's got everything that I look for in a good example of the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but almost every aspect could have been just slightly better. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a good Dunkel and I think it's a must try for anyone who likes the style. All in all I still enjoy this beer and it seemed to be pretty much just how I remember it. I haven't tried any other beers from this brewery, but I'm on the look out for them since this one made for a good first impression. I still think that this is my favorite German made Dunkel. Good job guys this was one nice Dunkel, keep up the solid work.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. Brew arrived a flat chestnut brown hue with a light smattering of tan head. Little head retention. Aroma is roasted malts and sweetness in approximately equal measure, milk chocolate, raisins, and weak coffee with a faint whiff of citrus (?). On the palate, fails to overwhelm but does deliver more low key dark malt flavors with well-rounded corners, nothing harsh or pointed. Some brown spice and dry pepper accompany the raisin and dry cacao from the nose. Some diacetyl and perhaps DMS in there to provide a "light lager" vibe. Rather thin bodied yet moderately carbonated, retains a smooth drinkability I suppose. This would be a great "starter" dark lager for a newbie but most will quickly graduate to more robust flavors.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours clear, dark chocolate coloring. Smooth, full flavor with a slight maltiness.

I don't know if it was just mine. But it tastes like metal...

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Deep brownish color, see through. Aroma is mild with some spicy sweetness. Taste has a bite, but not a bad one. Spice and some malt sweetness comes through. It has a clean finish with just a touch of after bitterness. Overall, this beer seems to be pretty well balanced and good

One more from the ol' Crazy Bruce mixed sixer. Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Interesting color. Not really amber. Brown's more like it. Sounds unappetizing, but not a bad thing. Small head, dissipates quickly, very little lacing.

Hops and something tangy/spicy like barbecue sauce (not kidding) on the nose. Malt and vague sweetness coming through. Not much of a nose at all.

Black forest bread and some vague hoppiness on the palate. Lots of carbonation. Flavor of something roasted. Slightly bitter finish.

Unassertive. Less body than the color would suggest. $1.69 for a single from Crazy Bruce in Bristol, CT, so it's affordable. Not much more interesting than Budweiser, honestly.

Meh.

Great dark beer!

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

Disappointingly light in flavor. Malt is so faint, it's almost like drinking water.

to view more.