Warsteiner Premium Dunkel - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 582 | Hads: 1,362
4.85/5  rDev +41.4%

I love dark beers, especially dark German beers and one dark Dutch beer. Some of my other favorites are Beck's dark, St. Pauli Girl dark and Heineken dark. However, having discovered the Premium Dunkel, Warsteiner's dark, I've been in heaven. It has that slightly bitter after taste like Guiness, but not as strong or as overpowering, yet still yielding that deep and rich flavor that only a dark beer can offer. So, unlike Guiness, one can put away several of these whereas one can only consume a couple of Guiness stouts. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. (571 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

Soooo tasty, smooth, and malty! One of my favorite beers of all time. It doesn't have the strongest flavor, but the flavor that is there is great. Just super smooth, easy drinking, dark malty goodness! I could chug these all day long, I can't find a single thing wrong with the taste.

It's not gonna blow you away with intense flavor, but it one sip will put a smile on your face and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm pretty sure the first thing I said the first time I took a sip of one of these was "Mmmmm... malty!" That pretty much sums up the entire experience. xD

Warstiner's pilsner has a very similar flavor, but of course lighter and more pilsner-y. I far prefer the dunkel. (696 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

This is my favorite style of beer so my review may reflect that. But this is my favorite beer, period. It pours out dark like coffee into my pint glass and a thin light tan head forms. The head disappears somewhat quickly. It smells perfect. Exactly like a beer should smell. Roasted malt and minimal hops. I love beers that don't try to create all kinds of different flavors. I'm a fan of the German Purity Law of 1516. There seems to be a low amount of carbonation. Just a tiny bit flat. If I were to participate in BEERFEST this would be the beer I would want to consume. Great beer. Reinheitsgebot is best. (610 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +36.4%

What a freakin' pleasant brew. Their Premium Verum is a pleasant enough beer, but there is a harsh-hop aspect to it that prevents pure, zen-like drinkability. The extra dark maltiness present in this beer off-sets that hoppiness perfectly, resulting in a complex, round, full beer. Why intellectualize a product that defies thought? Next time you see it, buy it, drink it, and enjoy a transcendent experience.
This is not a perfect beer, but it is a perfectly drinkable beer. Complex, yet simple, it explores the world of your tongue without challenging or offending it. This is why we drink beer. Prost! (605 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Excellent Beer. Generally available at only $24 per case. A heck of a nice deal, versus MANY other beers that cost $32-40 per case. Even better on tap, at a nice German place nearby (newportville inn). Their food is just GREAT. Especially the homemade mustard, turtle soup, and meatballs with spatzle (300 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a trademark Hofbrau dimpled mug(fits the bill for this type of beer!)

A: Dark brown, a good amount of lacing, a half an inch head that lasts a short while

S: Smells of maple, a hint of vanilla, and definitely fresh grain. I like! Better than Warsteiner Verum

T: Tastes of vanilla, roasted malts...FRESH roasted malts if you will, and of FRESH water! I really like!

M: Feels great..tastes great.I really enjoy this "light" dark brew!

D: I can drink many of these without even noticing. Not too heavy and not too light. Overall a VERY delicious brew. One thing that strikes me immediately is the taste of FRESH water. The water makes the whole difference in this classy dark brew. Don't miss out on it!

Had this with bratwurst, red roasted potatoes, and some veggie chips--awesome!

Serving type: On bottle and I've had it on tap before (864 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Warsteiner, seduce me with your heavenly maltiness... I was introduced to this Dunkel by a friend who assured me I would not be disappointed, and I wasn't.

Appearance: Darkest amber, almost opaque, with vague translucence throughout. A foamy cream-white head that slowly dissipates to a bubbly crown above the lustrous reddish hues.

Aroma: A deep, rustic maltiness that plays off the senses beautifully. It isn't too strong, but it's not too weak either. Goldilocks says it's juuuuust right.

Taste: A gentle malt taste, dark, almost chocolate-like. A little toasty around the edges. A slight bitterness on the roof of my mouth. Clean.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonation on the tongue, with a medium body and creaminess that slides off the tongue like a soft blanket. A very comforting sensation.

Overall: I am definitely a convert to the Dunkel. Warsteiner knows how to make a good, solid brew. I have a case of this stuff at home, along with the Warsteiner Oktoberfest I just bought. I am definitely satisfied with this, and will give it a prominent spot in my fridge. (1,086 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +28.6%

Very pleasant malty beer with nice yeast overtones and enough hops to give balance. Very true to the style from BA's description:

"smooth, rich and complex, but without being heady or heavy. They boast brilliant ruby hues from the large amounts of Munich malts used, and these malts also lend a fuller-bodied beer. Bitterness is often moderate, with just enough to balance out any sweetness."

Exactly and at $12 for a 12 pack it is great value. More than just OK, drinkers who are into malt will find this a solidly "very good" beer. (535 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured from bottle into dimpled mug, served at 46 degrees

A: nice clear brownish copper color with half inch lasting lace

S: aroma was bready with maple, caramel, and hay notes, pleasant

T: flavor had vanilla and biscuit dough mixed with pine, good

M: medium full with good balance from start to finish and smooth over the entire palate

D: very drinkable

Excellent beer. Has everything a great beer should. Was a perfect match for bratwurst, sauerkraut, & potatoes for dinner. Highly recommended!! (503 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +27.1%

Man, I liked this one a lot more than most people it seems. I thought it was wonderful.

Beautiful clear dark amber/brown coloring really makes this brew great to look at... one of the best looking brews ever..

Aroma of sweet dark roasted malts and maybe a little coffee here... after all the recent hop bombs, this is great...

Ridiculously smooth and delicious, I could drink this regularly. Sweet malts blend with that merest hint of coffee to make this one tasty brew..

Loved it, loved it, loved it... What else can I say? (528 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

What a beer! Goes down easy with its nice robust flavor from the roasted malts, it really goes down smooth! Light, but rich in flavor, and it is very easy to drink with a bratwurst or some knackwurst. Grab one of these on draft, and don't be afraid of the dark! (261 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

from the tap at Old World's Plum Festival (huntington beach, ca.), i had a sudden liberation from all the belgiums i have been hooked on for the last several (expensive) months.
minor trace of head, completely disappears, then leaves a nice colored brown beer. kind of caramel-ly smell, with the basic, commercial brown flavored taste. but it was very welcome and very tasty. miss these german beers; they've always been my favorite. miss Old World too; always has been a kind of second home for me. but the wife and kids were in tow so i couldnt satisfy all my desires. great place to have a beer, great atmosphere. very nice beer, even if it is one of germany's "commercial" brews. budweiser vs warsteiner= take the german commercial brew any (and every) day . . . . (768 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

Had from a bottle poured into a plastic red cup at a German Christmas Festival in Downtown Akron last night. No option to drink from a glass or to carry the bottle with it being a festival. My review will be a bit limited due to that but I believe that I can provide insight none the less.

A Nice creamy light brown head over a dark brown body which is translucent. Again, difficult to see much of the body due to the opaque plastic cup that I was drinking it out of.

S Great sweet malty, classic German smell. Not too much hops at all. Maybe even nutty.

T The nice malty sweetness continues into the taste with a muted caramel note and even a nice grainy wheat type taste as well. There is again a great nutty taste in there too. This is a classic German beer, that I can certainly tell.

M The best part. Nice and smooth, full mouthfeel.

D Very good. I could have many of these in a session and not hesitate.

Notes: Really glad that I had this from a bottle at the German Christmas Festival. It would be better to have it from a glass, however, to fully appreciate it. (1,075 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Deep copper color, clear. Lots of bubbles rising up. Small head.

Aroma:
Faint aroma. Malty, biscuit, roasted.

Taste:
Rich barley malts, biscuit, roasted, caramel. Spicy noble hops towards the end, very mild. Finish is crisp, sweet. Full bodied, crisp, very smooth, nice carbonation.

Overall:
It's an outstanding beer. (332 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh.. one of my favorite widely distributed beers. This has a dark coffee like color. Mildy transparent. Not sure how to explain it, but when I taste it, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. From opening to tipping the bottle up, it is great tasting all the way through, Very nice beer. Highly recommened. I have introduced this beer to many of friends, and have yet had anybody tell me that it isn't good. Even the "just give me a beer" friends. They all seem to like it. (469 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

This is a favorite for backyard parties. Warsteiner is probably one of the best German macro imports; and the Dunkel is even better. You don't have to be a dark beer lover to enjoy it. Pours a gorgeous dark amber, with a foamy tan head. The smell is mild hops and, unlike the original Warsteiner, the hops are equally mild in the taste. Nice mouthful, light carbonation, and just enough roasted malt flavor to satisfy. Just enough bitterness in the aftertaste to keep you wanting more. Excellent for an "easy to get" German dark. (529 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured into 12 oz pint glass.

Appearance - Very dark beer but you can slightly see through the glass (not murky like wheat beer though). Head was fizzy like a cola.

Smell - mild and nice aromas.

Taste - Very mild in overall flavors with slight hop bitter finish to balance. Nice German Dunkel style but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - decent

Drinkability - This is where this beer shines through. An easy drinker, very pleasant flavorings and sessionable.

Overall - Putting this beer on my "return to" list. Bought only a single sampler, but will probably buy several the next time I'm in the mood for a German style Dunkel. (629 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +24.8%

12-oz bottle

This looks like a real heavy-hitter sort of beer... quite dark, although the more keen observers will note that the density of the color is not as high as a stout. The off-white head had little staying power. The smell (very mild malty) doesn't do much for me but is by no means offensive. The taste is nice and rich without any of the strong bitterness that the color might hint at. There is a nice balance of sweetness with a malt and almost chocolate mix going on. A light mouthfeel without a lot of body, but this seems like a fair trade-off for the outstanding drinkability. A very clean finish that doesn't strangle your tastebuds.

This is a personal favorite and long-time tailgating companion. Wonderful with brats. Highly recommended as a beer to start the unwashed masses on the path from mega-swills to quality beer. (846 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +24.8%

A - Pours dark brown with a minimal amount of carbonation.

S - toasted malts, caramel and a little bit of coffee.

T - The caramel really comes out here. Not too complicated and nicely balanced.

M - Lightly carbonated and thinner than an American dark lager, but has a smooth feel.

O - Fantastic offering for a Dunkel. I could drink these all day. Sure, it's not the most complex beer, but a nice balance for a session beer. (427 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +24.5%

this is a lovely dunkel. pours a deep brown color with a pale head which quickly falls. nose is of toasty breadcrust, munich malt and elegant noble hops... more than i expected.

it's quite dry and crisp. an incredibly refreshing beer with a huge nose. there's a chocolately character to it that never goes bitter or astringent and the hops hold it all together nicely. quite rich for such a clean finisher.

overall, great drinkability. would be awesome summer drink for lager stand in when you want something more. (518 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a .5 L Warsteiner glass stein

A - Pretty dark brown color that is just beautiful to look at. Decent head.

S - Good mixture of malt and hop smells

T - Very smooth roasted sweetness that is pleasurable

M - Creamy with good carbonation

D - Excellent session beer that can be enjoyed any time of the year (319 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

This is a great beer. It has a nice fruity nose, dark yet clear appearance and very nice crisp mouth feel. The head is very minimal but definitely right on for its beer style. I can taste a bit of a chocolate note. Definitely one of my favorite Pilsners. (254 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

My first German beer (yes, I'm a newbie, don't kill me!) was a great experience. A moderate pour left about a 1 inch head in a pilsner. I would call the color "garnet" with dark copper hues.

S - Malty sweet with slight hoppiness. Very pleasant smell, may give a hint of some sort of fruit (hard to describe)

T - caramel, hops, malts, simple yet satisfying. A hint of metallic-ness which I thought contributed to the flavor

M - smooth, crisp, very little carbonation

D - definitely a drinkable beer. If you're not in the mood for a stout or a porter, but still want something approaching that ballpark, this is a great beer for those evenings.

Good taste, good feel, good price ($1.80 for a 12 oz bottle)

Overall: not for everybody (my gf didn't like it) but I'll surely buy more (785 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +23.3%

Love this beer just found it today in my town which is rare also saw st. pauli girl dark which is also hard to find around here.

Love this alot though im drinkin an ice cold one right now.

Sweet malt taste going down with a good hop bitterness at the end.

Smooth and very drinkable for a dark lager or Dunkel.

I think this is the first dunkel ive tried (maybe not as i do not know what dunkel means)

Overall a very good drinkable darker lager or pilsner as warsteiner says imported german pilsner right on the label.

I would give this a try if you can find it and it has a good price as i found it for $6.65 a sixer. (622 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Gorgeous brown color with a nice head that leaves a little lace...decent carbonation
S: Good balance of hops, malts, and sweetness
T: Molasses, earthy, and a fair amount of malts
MF: Very clean and not bitter, great aftertaste
D: Highly drinkable, I ordered a few of these before moving on (293 characters)

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel from Warsteiner Brauerei