Warsteiner Premium Dunkel - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Dunkel Alström Bros
Reviews: 580 | Hads: 1,349
1.16/5  rDev -66.2%

Dark maroon pour with almost no head. Smell was skunky, medicinal band aid and was more than likely really bad. Taste was plastic like, malt, and medicinal. Complete drain pour on this one, and one of the worst I've had. Surprised this one could have been spoiled as the place I bought it from turns over there product pretty well. (331 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -58.6%

Pours a really nice blackened copper, with lots of carbonation and a 1/2" head, but it quickly blows its load and then there is no head to speak of. So sad.

The aroma smells like any one of the dozens upon dozens of skunky euro lagers that have plagued the LCBO's shelves for far too long. I get a ton of corn off this. Blech. It smells like a wet tortilla.

I get a huge hit of metallic from the initial sip. Some toast and pewter. A lingering bitterness in the finish, very drying and not hugely pleasant. No real malt that I can ascertain. Really, it tastes like they took a generic Euro lager, threw in a dash of caramel color, and called it a dunkel.

The mouthfeel. You know what fuck it. I'm only half way through but this is going down the sink. My mouth deserves better.

Epic dunkel fail. (801 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -54.2%

Watery brown colour, with odd old smell. Tastes like sucking on a piece of cloth. If you really need to drink. Very grainy, too much carbonation. Like a club soda with some cheap gin or scotch drop poured in. Some malts, perhaps a hint of roast, acidic. (253 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -49.3%

A- Clear light brown with big light tan head that leaves a little lace.The look is by far the best thing this beer has going for it.

S- Nothing at all like a dunkel. Smells like a bad lager.

T & M - Grainy, rough, watery and very light. Imagine water with brown food coloring. Horrible after taste.

D- Could be high due to how light it is but the after taste kills it. (372 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

where's the beef? 1st time offered in local grocer
roasted barley it proclaims on thr box
no ..no and nada
some kinda flavored animal food trough watet (154 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -44.3%

A: A dark brown to black color. A small tan head that fades to nothing in a few seconds. Almost no lace. Looks kind of like a dunkel
S: A little malt, very thin. Not impressed at all.
T: This tasts like a generic lager. It is watery, acidic and not very robust like a good dunkel should be.
D: Very average. You can drink a lot of this in the same way you can drink a lot of bud.

This is not what I was expecting. Were is the rich, robust, roasted malt flavor? There is almost nothing here that resembles a German dunkel. A disappointment. (540 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -43.1%

Had this at a tasting at my local quaffery, The Cock and Bull pub, Sarasota, FL. My previous experience with Warsteiner products made me a bit leery but, that's what makes tastings so great, you don't have to commit to a six pack or even a whole bottle.
Pours a dark amber, almost brown. Clear with a small head and little lace.
Smell is just a faint hint of apple sweetness and nothing else. Didn't know a beer could have so little to smell. I really had to search to find something for my nose to do with this beer.
Taste is that same apple that blends to toasted malt & hops with a bunch of bitterness and a slight, lingering hint of smokiness in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is rough with a medium body an effervescence on the tip of the tongue.
Drinkability: glad it it was just a tasting, I couldn't drink anymore of this. Just more megabrew swill to me. I'm off the Warsteiner line for good. (900 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -39.7%

Appearance: Freshness date of Oct 2002. Poured a dark brown with a very thin, slightly off white head. Virtually no lacing.

Smell: Smelled of malt, bready. As I found out, this was the best thing it had going for it.

Taste: Sickly sweet and sour with a malt backbone. I don't know if this is due to it being way past its prime, or that it's intended to taste this way, but none of the reviews I've read about it indicate this.

Mouthfeel: Smooth mouthfeel. Not overly carbonated, not too light or thick.

Drinkability: Not very, but again, this is probably due to it being over a year old.

Got this as a single in a build your own six pack deal at a local liquor store. It's one of two I got that are past the freshness date. If I ever see this where I can pick it up as a single, and it is fresh, I'll try it again, but as it stands, I'm not a fan of this at all. (877 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -37%

Poured from a 330ml bottle (best by date on back label) into a pint glass. It was a llight brown color with some red highlights. Clear with a little carb and no lacing. It had a one finger beige head that quickly fizzled into slight collar.

The aroma was very weak. Slight roasted malt but not much beyond that. As it warmed it started to get a burnt smell to it. Really didn't do anything to drive the taste which was also very bland. Not much to it at all. Not much more taste than a BMC. The mouthfeel was watery.

Overall, not a good beer. It was weak in aroma and taste and just didn't do anything more than a BMC in my opinion. Avoid. (641 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -35.9%

well, it looks good. its smell is pretty bad. The alcohol is pungent, but there is little else desirable. I have no desire to smell it any further. there is a little bit of taste to speak of. I would have to rank it no far above a yingling, unfortunately. I wouldn't buy another sixer of this. I'm very disappointed. (316 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -35.6%

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel pours a very dark brown with a thin head that quickly settles to a ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is burnt coffee. The taste is disappointing, a kind of harsh bitterness is all I can taste. The mouthfeel is very thin. I expected more. (274 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35%

Bottle: Poured a deep clear brown color dunkel with a medium foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of light sweet caramel malt is pretty neutral. Taste is very bland with light caramel malt with not much character. Very bland and boring version of the style and not something I am about to buy again anytime soon. (330 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a darkish brown color with plenty of foamy tan head. Head quickly evaporates to a thin crown. Little to no lacing.

Smell is sweet and grainy. Fairly underwhelming.

Taste follows nose. Some additional flavors present, though, including some nuttiness, like walnuts or hazelnuts.

I felt it was overly sweet. Not really impressed at all. (343 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours out a dark reddish amber with white suds and not a lot of lacing.
Smell is almost a burnt malt aroma with some chocolate and or manure.
Not much to taste here. A skunky flavor with mabey a tad of toasted malts.
Mouthfeel is bland at best.
This is not very good and I think it is overrated. (299 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -32.1%

On tap at Gustav's Restaurant, Clackamas, Oregon.
Beer looks like a glass of black coffee with a tan head..by "black coffee" i dont really mean completely black..but a mahogany brown colour.
Smell was quite subdued..slight chocolaty style malts but not much.
Very thin and watery tatslessness..poor carbonation..flat horrid.
Thin and wat too watery on the tongue.
Not very drinkable at all..i wonder if there was some problem with the keg? (444 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -32.1%

I tried this at the Winking Lizard in Fairlawn.

Tasteless, Watery no head and minimal lacing are my notes on this beer. I was very disappointed in this offering although I was able to score the glass of the month because I ordered this. (A flute)

There was a faint sort of spice that presented itself after the beer warmed up a little but that was about it. When it was all said and done, the glass was the best part of the experience. (442 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -31.2%

Average German dark. It pours to a clear medium brown with a quick dissipating head. It has a roasty, nutty smell that is pleasant. Taste is nutty and sweet with a thin mouthfeel. Enjoyable for something new. Drinkable, but honestly something like Shiner/Yeungling is a better dark. Modest recommendation - it's ok. I've had better (338 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -31.2%

Probably the lightest and mildest dunkel I've run across. Mildly sweet with very light caramel notes and a rather odd grape finish. Not particularly impressive. (162 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a dark, cola-brown. Looks completely clear. The head is really fizzy and fades away in seconds without leaving any lace.
There's a nice sweet caramel aroma.
It tastes bland without the malt backbone I was expecting. It's somewhat sour also. Lots of carbonation.
Not what I would call drinkable. I'm glad that there wasn't more in the fridge to finish off. (364 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -30.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Weizen Glass

Appearance: Chestnut brown with a one finger soapy head. Quick dissipated with almost no lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly mild aroma, caramel malts, woody earthy smell with chocolate hint

Taste: Less than what I expected from past dunkels, nice malty flavor , cola flavor in the middle, nice bitter after taste
Feel: Very low carbonation, watery, unplesant

Drinkability: Easy to drink but unpleasant, expected a bolder flavor. Easy session beer, goes down smooth but too watery for my tastes. Nothing special

Serving type: bottle (581 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This looks like cola without the rising bubbles. Or bad black tea. Thin. Weak head just tires out. Flat looking

Um, I think the aroma is malt, but very faint. Hints of caramel and burnt corn husks. Rated at 2.5 and the weakness of the aroma keeps it from going lower.

Taste is iffy. Again it's weak in this department. Somewhat roasted malt, but it more tastes like stale malt than roasted. Hay. Corn husks. Like the nose, too weak to give a rating lower than 2.5

Thin mouthfeel. Am I drinking dirty water? Some sweetness towards the end.

Not impressed. (559 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

I was really disappointed by this beer, so much so that I think it may have just been a bad sample. I used to drink this occassionally, before I started rating and trying various beers, and I liked it. But I’ll go with what I had tonite. Poured to a medium brown, with a very thin off-white head, that dissipated almost immediately, and left little lacing. Aroma was almost skunky, with just a hint of malt. Flavor was nothing special, and the finish was very dry. I will most likely try this one again just to give it a fair shot at redemption. (546 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance - Hits the mark in color, but almost zero head and carbonation....poured fresh it looks like its been poured and left out for an hour or two.

Smell - Stinging smell...I don't know what it is....maybe a kind of wood or smoked malt. Maybe a touch of sweetness in there somewhere. Maybe some alcohol too. Smells different from other dunkels I've had, but is it good? I don't know.

Taste - Whatever that stinging smell is, its in the front of the taste. Ends malty. Its probably a treatment to the malt thats giving this flavor. I don't like it. There is a slightly sour background as well....so its probably some sort of dark fruit in there.

Mouthfeel - Its ok, in line with the standard for this kind of beer.

Drinkability - I'm not buying this again. (764 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Ruby hued with a very thin head. Almost no retention. Sweet aroma with hints of brown sugar and plums. Given the very sweet smell, I was surprised by the lack of flavor. Overly sweet maltyness up front with a slightly astringent aftertaste. The sweetness was poorly balanced, with very little hop character. (307 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

Overall, a dissappointing beer. Starts out looking and smelling great, with a nice head, good lacing, reddish brown color, and an aroma dominated by spicy Saaz hops...then the moment of truth. The taste lacks any character but water! What is going on here? It is a frustrating experience. This stuff is drinkable, but damn, you'd think the flavors would be more assertive! (372 characters)

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel from Warsteiner Brauerei