Warsteiner Premium Dunkel - Warsteiner Brauerei

good

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Dunkel Alström Bros
3.24/5  rDev -6.9%

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Warsteiner's Premium Dunkel last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I haven't had this beer in awhile, but when I first started getting into craft beer I drank a lot of these and I'm interested to see what I think of it now, so lets see how it goes. Best by March 24th 2014. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a classic look to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear dark amber color that took one more of a crimson color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking Dunkel that seemed look in line with the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up they impart some nice toasted, caramel, slight toffee and bread crust like aromas with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice nutty aroma that works well with this beer. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it's pretty much what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lighter amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most and there's still some nice and clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes that same nutty aspect that shows up just as much as it did in the aroma. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a toasted malt and nutty aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, just slightly creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought it was a pretty nice beer and a above average example of the style, it's just a good tasting Dunkel and it's just what I've come to expect from a German Dunkel. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, just slightly creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I could drink more than a few of these and it seems like a fitting beer for the fall season. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it's got everything that I look for in a good example of the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but almost every aspect could have been just slightly better. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a good Dunkel and I think it's a must try for anyone who likes the style. All in all I still enjoy this beer and it seemed to be pretty much just how I remember it. I haven't tried any other beers from this brewery, but I'm on the look out for them since this one made for a good first impression. I still think that this is my favorite German made Dunkel. Good job guys this was one nice Dunkel, keep up the solid work.

3.64/5  rDev +4.6%

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.44/5  rDev -1.1%

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. Brew arrived a flat chestnut brown hue with a light smattering of tan head. Little head retention. Aroma is roasted malts and sweetness in approximately equal measure, milk chocolate, raisins, and weak coffee with a faint whiff of citrus (?). On the palate, fails to overwhelm but does deliver more low key dark malt flavors with well-rounded corners, nothing harsh or pointed. Some brown spice and dry pepper accompany the raisin and dry cacao from the nose. Some diacetyl and perhaps DMS in there to provide a "light lager" vibe. Rather thin bodied yet moderately carbonated, retains a smooth drinkability I suppose. This would be a great "starter" dark lager for a newbie but most will quickly graduate to more robust flavors.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours clear, dark chocolate coloring. Smooth, full flavor with a slight maltiness.

3.76/5  rDev +8%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

I don't know if it was just mine. But it tastes like metal...

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel from Warsteiner Brauerei