Warsteiner Premium Fresh - Warsteiner Brauerei

poor

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-11-2002)
Reviews by nomad:
2.83/5  rDev +15.5%

Pale yellow as expected but with a nice veneer of a head, and well retained. Smells lightly of lemon with herbal dosed malt grains.

Tastes of a faint echo of malt and hop sharpness, though the moderate herbal flavor is sharp. Lacking a middle but quite hoppy in the finish considering its a N.A. beer. Mouthfeel is quite thin and watery, and leads to a soapy feeling.

It is what it is - a very good beer for the style. Lots of hop character despite the low alcohol, but the lack of character and body is distracting. Honestly, this or O'Douls? No brainer.

nomad, Dec 28, 2005
1.25/5  rDev -49%

kevrob802, Oct 06, 2012

Very thin mineral watery flavour, besides that, there is pretty much nothing, shared half a bottle of it, from a friend who bought it by mistake, half a bottle was a little to much, not good.

rastaman, Aug 11, 2002
2.58/5  rDev +5.3%

This was sort of a novelty pickup. Notes are from last night.

This beer is not the lightest color I've seen, but it is the clearest I've ever looked at. I can look right through the glass and everything looks exactly the same with a yellow hue. Interesting. A foam of a head struggles to form and dies before the pour is finished. A trace of a head can be brought up with agitation. There is absolutely no lacing.
The aroma is something of a struggle to detect, but there's a hops backing, something slightly dusty, with very earthy and herbal notes and a touch of doughy malt.
The same is in the flavor, with the earthy and herbal flavors really taking the lead. A touch of tangy sourness underlying mars it a bit.
The mouthfeel isn't as excessively light as it could be for this style, though it is,of course, extremely light. It is crisp and pretty refreshing. It begins heavily overcarbonated, but the carbonation fades out as it goes. It could be much worse.
Overall, I'm not sure I'd go with this one as my low-alcohol option, but I'd need to look for others before I could completely dismiss this one.

Brenden, Oct 15, 2010
3.29/5  rDev +34.3%

330ml bottle, a single found at my local Superstore, of all places - who knew? Apparently they have broken cases too.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw hue, with two fingers of puffy, moderately foamy, and bubbly off-white head, which leaves a decent array of layered deciduous tree lace around the glass as it lazily subsides.

It smells of warm grainy, somewhat pungently cereal-heavy malt (weirdly common for the 'style', it seems), a slight flinty mineral character, and tame earthy, weedy hops. The taste is more of the same - cereal-prominent malt, a certain hard-water essence, and leafy, earthy hops. Simple, but quite beer-like, surprisingly, as if I hadn't played this game before.

The carbonation is average - supportive and a tad peppy - the body an adequate medium weight, and smooth in the most general of senses. It finishes off-dry, the breakfast cereal essence still rather undeniable, the noble hops not altogether interested in the affair by now, leaving us with another version of this foreign dominance unchecked and unheeded at my grocery chain border.

I'd like to opine that this is so obviously an NA beer, but I just can't. The maltiness is just so superior to many of the pale lagers out there - noticeable, enjoyable, and well, not boozy. So why can't a whole lot of the normals get that part right? No offense to Warsteiner - they've no doubt got their shit together, like many of their German kin.

biboergosum, Jul 23, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -10.2%

Clear, pale-yellow in hue. The liquid is lifeless. Any inclusion of a golden shade would have improved the dreadfulness of the liquid, but it is not to be. There was a white head but it was extremely small and it was very short-lived, a thin collar did last awhile but at this point the first-impression has been formed, this beer is dull. Sickly. Plus, there was no subsequent lacing. Might as well close your eyes and drink this.

Wow! The aromas really jump out of the glass. Wow! I really don’t like what I smell. Honestly, the bouquet isn’t offensive but there is a sharpness to it that I really don’t care for. Grassy. Vegetables. Hay. Lemon. Sulfur. Grain. Musty. When the aromas are mixed together I am not too thrilled. Fairly clean but too Euro-Lagerish for me to consider the nose pleasant. Even for a Near Beer the nose is not good.

Sharp. Clean taste. Beery. Not much hop flavor, minimal bitterness. Yet there is a bite to the beer, harsh almost. Grassy. Not much malt characteristics either, sure it is grainy. I don’t detect anything that makes me what to say this beer has German roots. I guess this (near) beer has been ostracized. Sweet, sickly aftertaste with a herbal, veggie twang. The more I drank it, the less I liked it and the less it seemed to agree with my stomach. I am opened minded to Near Beers, I know some people that like beer but they can’t drink it for medical reasons. Well, I couldn’t recommend this product to them. I don’t think I can finish my glass… I feel queasy. It may not be the beer but it is making it worse!

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel fits this beer. The objective with the carbonation is to be refreshing, I think, and *if* this beer tasted better… mission accomplished. But, in reality, it is not so refreshing because…

I didn’t care for this one very much. It is not very drinkable. I would make the assumption that if you like Euro-Lagers but you need a beer with minimal alcohol, you might like this one. I purchased one 12-ounce bottle in Omaha.

bditty187, Aug 14, 2005
1.25/5  rDev -49%

purpletentacle, Jul 14, 2014
2.58/5  rDev +5.3%

It's just so clear. And yellow. I've seen more head retention from a can of Mountain Dew.
The smell is the closest this beer comes to being a true german lager: slight noble, resiny scent with a metallic backdrop.
Tastes pretty sad, with the corny afterglow about the only flavor in the profile.
Disappointing, especially compared to my companion review of verum.
My first and probably last N/A review and buy.

nortmand, Sep 15, 2004
1.73/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a fizzy white head, mild lacing.

The smell is terrible, skunky bad hops. I'm almost afraid to take a drink, its that stinky. I wish I could give it a Zero for smell.

The taste is mild with a hint of bready malts and a light grassy hops, the flavor is ok, not offensive like the smell. Still not good either.

The mouthfeel is very watery and thin with a bit of carbonation.

I'm glad I don't have any sort of condition that forces me to drink NA beers, because they continue to disappoint.

bashiba, Jan 03, 2010

chuckj76, Jan 18, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +48.2%

Had this one at the Skylark, since they were out of Clausthaler, and I was the DD.

This was exceptionally clean and easy to drink, and the taste was intentionally close to a typical german pilsner. Some herbal hop in the aftertaste, and lingering clean grain flavor. Inoffensive, but a little thin. That said, it drinks like water, I downed 2 in about 15 minutes.

You could do a lot worse for an NA beer.

emerge077, Nov 11, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -28.6%

matjack85, Feb 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +42.9%

Saw this one sitting in the in laws fridge and did not even know what it was. I picked it out and started on it when I was informed it was a non alcohol beer. Not bad I have to admit. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/28/2008.

The pour was decent, light color with lots of carbonation and a tow inch fizzy white head. Decent retention as well. The aroma was lots of grainy malts, light bready character with a hint of earthy hops. The flavor followed along nicely, smooth, crisp, clean. Not much depth here, but the style really does not require it. Easily drinkable and really not that bad at all. For my first low ABV beer, I was not totally turned off by it.

mikesgroove, Nov 28, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -46.9%

In the excitement and haste of seeing something new on the shelves, I have to admit this stuff was bought by accident. My god, what am I doing with this stuff I thought to myself once I got it home. But it's all about trying new beers, even if they aren't alcoholic, I suppose.

Pours out very thin and watery, pale yellowish, the colour of canola oil. Managed to get a small head on the pour though, and it settled fast to a ring for the rest of the way down. Decent nose on this, to my utter surprise, sweet grainy malt and corn, it actually reminds me of an Alexander Keiths. But after one sip you know you've left flavour country for good, you're drifting on an ice floe in the opposite direction. There's a thin hint of graininess, but it's pretty damned apparent that you're a half step up from water, which is the consistency of the mouthfeel as well. I can barely drink this stuff, not because of a bad taste, but because of the utter lack of taste at all. Two words: plant food. There's nothing here to see folks, move along...

IronDjinn, Nov 15, 2003
2.2/5  rDev -10.2%

Tonic water. Clear, spritzy, and very bland. Vague malt taste. Some hops.

I am not sure what to say. Why would anybody drink this voluntarily. I would rather drink water.

I hope all NA's are not like this -- or we will be having alot of wagon jumpers.

dansteino, Feb 06, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +29.8%

Poured a light to medium straw hue with a three finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a very light herbal hop with a light doughy malt and some lemon.

The taste was extremely light. Subtle hop spice and a very light malt made for a refreshing drink.

The mouthfeel was extremely light and well carbonated.

Overall a very refreshing and extremely easy to drink NA.

plaid75, Jun 22, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +46.1%

Appearance: Bright and light coloured; yellowish. Pours a one finger pure white head, which dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Hops and a tiny bit of sweet malt. Typical bready and sweet aromas for a non-alcoholic beer. Fresh.

Taste: Mild, hoppy, and a little bit sweet, as expected. Quite refreshing, and the hop flavours are decent. The sweetness is not overwhelming, but I always find it problematic in non-alcoholic beers since there's not enough bitterness and body to contrast with it.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall: Decent for a non-alcoholic beer. Quite refreshing and fresh without too much sweetness.

Arborescence, Jul 01, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +27.8%

This is not a bad choice if you have to drink an NA beer. The foam never seemed to disapear after it was opened. I drank one from the bottle and the other from a cup.

Appearance- Very pale. More of a brass color than a gold.

Smell- The odor was faint but slighty hoppy.

Taste- Not bad. As with most NA's I could taste the hops and malt but they were light. It had a beany metalic taste to it.

Mouthfeel- Ballaced and light.

Drinkability- Not bad it goes down easy with just a little after taste bite.

MTNboy, Jun 05, 2007
2.48/5  rDev +1.2%

Slight bitter taste with a strong after taste. Not particularly impressed with a beer that considers itself as the kind you want to drink 'cause life is too short. I didn't find anything that stood out on this brew, maybe if I had tried it out of a bottle it would have been a different experience.

jjamadorphd, Oct 14, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +2%

Light golden in color with mild carbonation and a small white head, fair lace. The aroma is typical for a NA beer, mostly unfermented wort, reminiscent of caramel with a faint ghost of hops. Taste begins with bready, tart malt and zesty carbonation; finishes dry with slight hops. All in all, unremarkable. Considering the quality of Warsteiner beers, I expected this to be better.

Pegasus, Mar 30, 2003
2.23/5  rDev -9%

Pretty stinky stuff. The skunk and musty hops makes one nausious when blended with the sweet, cake batter, bready notes. Sugary toasted bread with skunk sprayed on it. Clear with hint of yellow, faint soapy head that fades fast and leaves spotty lace. Skunk ruins what could be some nice sweet bready flavors. Drain pour.

JayS2629, Mar 06, 2011

vinhgoh, Aug 04, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -31.4%

First time tasting this beer. Thin to non-existant head. Started off well when it was ice-cold. Once it warmed slightly, it emitted a rancid odor as well as taste. A big disappointment as I regularly drink Warsteiner Premium. Would not recommend this beer.

WTexas, Mar 28, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -38.8%

KillaB, Jan 29, 2013
2.63/5  rDev +7.3%

Lately i have been wanting to know a few more non alcoholic beers to try so i am giving this one a shot. and i will do my best to rate it in its style.

Poured out a very light clear golden with a small white head that went down almost immediately... could be too cold.

Smells like warsteiner verum with so much grainy malts. oaty and cereal like. it also has a lemony smell to it as well, with an tea hint to it.

Taste is what i thought it would be, not that good. a little grainy. i taste cooked vegetables in this like it is from a chinese restaurant. a slight citris kick to it.

mouthfeel is empty, but for the style not so bad. above in the carbonation.

Overall i need to try more nonalcoholic beers before i can rank this one with the others, but i dont think i will get it again. just tastes a little too odd for me.

acrawf6, Jan 11, 2006