2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Warsteiner Premium Verum - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Premium VerumWarsteiner Premium Verum

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Verum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,369 | Reviews: 779 | Show All Ratings:
TheSarge

1.4/5  rDev -59.2%

This brew is normally a decent exported German brew, but not usually as good as ole Bitburger. It poured with a decent amount of bright white head and retained for about a minute and thinned out into a quarter inch of lacing. The body is ultra clear and is quite golden in color.

The aroma was a little skunkier than I'd expect, since I'm drinking this brew in its homeland; however, there were pronounced hints of husk and freshly mown hay.

I believe this sample I have has to have fell victim to oxidization. Truly skunky, eliminating my desire to taste another drop.

This makes me want to gag, I'm throwing it away. I've had this beer before and I don't remember this being so trashy.

07-29-2007 18:19:00 | More by TheSarge
alleykatking

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -58.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Actually SuperNova777 (Josh) and I ordered these and I think they might have been bad. You'll see what I mean.

A- We drank these from the bottle but I poured a little into my wifes glass when she wasn't looking. It was a straw yellow color. There wasn't a head on the beer of course and no lacing when I drank it quickly. Because I didn't pour the whole thing in the glass I'm going to rate it a little above average.

S- This is where I think the beer might have been bad. Light malts in the background. Not bad right?? Well the dominate aroma was grape...yea grape. Interesting cause it was like a deep artifical grape..almost like Kool-Aid.

T- Grape, grape, and more grape. This really is like drinking a grape drink. I don't know how old this is but it went south fast...real fast. I asked Josh if he thought the same thing and we both agreed it was grape that we in fact were tasting.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the flat side. Grape left on the palte and long into the aftertaste. The flavors were actually one sided and that was grape. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This tasted like I was drinking a Boones Farm. I didn't tell Josh I didn't finish mine. I will review this again once I get another bottle but for now this is where it stands.

11-15-2010 06:35:18 | More by alleykatking
taigor

1.55/5  rDev -54.8%

Poured from bottle into regular glass.

A - Poured clear orange color with small head that quickly dissipated leaving almost no lacing at all.

S - Skunk grains with no other scents present.

T - Very bitter. Tastes like copper pennies mixed with cough medicine. Really bad aftertaste.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Awful, really not impressed with it overall. It could have been very possible that it was tainted.

11-04-2010 17:53:53 | More by taigor
B967ierhunter177

1.58/5  rDev -53.9%

This beer was disappointing. It poured an extremely pale yellow with 1/8 inch head that quickly faded. The aroma had hints of resin and lemon. It's flavor began with some bitterness and led to lemon and hoppy notes, followed by a bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very thin, almost watery. Warsteiner Premium Verum, while a German pilsner, was more along the lines of an American adjunct lager. Not recommended.

03-06-2011 09:04:15 | More by B967ierhunter177
jackndan

1.7/5  rDev -50.4%

Warsteiner Premium Verum: really awful euro lager, bad skunked aroma, bad skunked taste. Nice clear color though. Not worth the money or the time, and I find the line on the back that life is too short to drink bad beer to be the height of irony.

09-28-2002 21:49:43 | More by jackndan
CBlack85

South Carolina

1.7/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured from a 22.3 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with about two fingers worth of bright white head that recedes quickly and leaves virtually no lacing.

The nose is dominated by a skunky aroma. Really there seems to be nothing else there, my initial reaction was to make sure that I hadn't opened a Heineken by accident.

Unfortunately the taste is no better than the smell; skunky and unimpressive. Slightly bitter, and grainy with an odd aftertaste. Seems kinda thin and is overly carbonated. This beer really does nothing to distinguish itself from many of the other Euro lagers that I generally try to avoid. I found myself struggling just to finish the bottle

06-26-2010 20:23:04 | More by CBlack85
tjthresh

Indiana

1.83/5  rDev -46.6%

My brother in law thougth he was hooking me up with this one. Just kind of blah. The best I can muster to say about this beer is that I poured with a nice head. I was also very dry, crisp and I imagine it would be refreshing if I wanted to be refreshed. It just doesn’t taste very good.

08-22-2005 17:31:57 | More by tjthresh
Kudashov

1.83/5  rDev -46.6%

After pushing puddles of slush throughout the morning hours here in wonderful Dorchester . I thought I would treat myself with a few brews and reviews . Blackburn Rovers / Bayer Leverkusen is on the dish right now . Sweet . It is not my beloved Glasgow Celtic but it will do . This is a single I bought yesterday and it is being poured in a pint glass . Very little head and the color is clear & yellowish . Very bubbly too . The smell is like the bread from Greenhills Bakery . Nothing else comes to mind . Taste on the other hand plenty comes to mind . Watery , and not pleasing to my pallete - granted it is an apprentice pallete - but blah . There is a thinsized head on the brew as I drink it but this reminds me of beer that we once pounded all day at UMass - Amherst . Yellow water fiz . It is dry and crisp but there is no mouthfeel . The Rovers match will do but this brew will not .

02-14-2007 19:46:26 | More by Kudashov
TheKingofWichita

1.85/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a very good beer in my opinion. Pours a golden color with a white head and a little lacing. Smells of malts! And more malts! Tastes of malts! And more malts! And not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and weak. Drinkability is poor. I do not like the beer. It is a classic but it is not as great as people make it out to be.

01-27-2011 12:25:04 | More by TheKingofWichita
Raebies

Australia

1.85/5  rDev -46.1%

Very grassy hoppy notes, similar to Peroni with a little bit of a malty smell. Taste is at first very crisp and clean, a bit tart, not much going on flavour-wise. A mild skunky smell comes through as it begins to warm. Overall an absolutely average pilsener with a hint of funk.

12-06-2011 11:04:38 | More by Raebies
soupyman10

District of Columbia

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I did not like this beer. Got it on top at Joe Kool's in Troy, MI, to try something new. I think I ended up chugging it to get something better. Appearance was straw colored with a head that disappeared in a few seconds. Nose is nearly non-existent - very light malt character, some apples maybe. Taste was likewise. Extremely mild, graininess, some mediocre malt. Feel was thin bodied and too carbonated. I wouldn't get this one again.

09-19-2007 21:58:58 | More by soupyman10
TastyTaste

1.9/5  rDev -44.6%

Clear gold/straw color, medium head fades to tiny bubbles. Smmells like just another middle of the road boring euro lager (grass and cereal). Taste is extremely grassy, though, setting itself apart from other euros, but not necessarily in a good way. Grassy sweetness gets cloyying towards the bottom of the glass, one of the only beers that I have had that is spicy because of malt.

12-29-2004 22:41:45 | More by TastyTaste
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a small head with almost no retention. Aroma is very weak with small touch of malt and sweet coming out of my glass. Taste is also very weak, almost watery with no hops detectable. Very bland and boring pilsner. I guess this could be an OK session beer on a beach down south…

07-05-2004 15:15:36 | More by Phyl21ca
flipshevanel

Arizona

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

This beer did not grab me hard in any way. Overall just a very bland pilsner that is poorly balanced. What I was impressed with in this beer was the appearance and palate. It looked good to drink and felt good to drink. The only thing is it was vicously bland with a light bread/grape aroma, and moderately sweet flavor. Not a beer I am all that eager to drink ever again.

08-01-2008 03:54:49 | More by flipshevanel

ABV: 4.80 %

Reviewed 10/1/08, bottle>pilsner glass
A 2.5 - light golden color, very small head, gone quick
S 2.0 - skunked aroma
T 2.0 - I dislike the taste of this brew. Slightly bitter and noticeably skunky.
MF 2.0 Watery, can't get past the taste....
D - 2.0 - It would be tough to drink this one again, I had a 12 pack left in my fridge from a party and it stayed there a long, long time, until I finally gave them away.

02-28-2009 23:12:00 | More by unclejimbay
Knapp85

2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

This is another one of those German pilsners. Grassy, light, and fresh. Not a lot of hops in this beer. Has the traditional flavors that most of these beers have. Had it for the first time at Dunerbaks German Restaurant. I felt that it'd be a fitting to have this with some brats. The beer wasn't my favorite mainly because I just don't care for this style too much. But I will agree that it went well with the food I was having.

03-23-2011 01:06:27 | More by Knapp85
NSBeers

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.06/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - 2 fingers of of smooth off-white head. Extremely clear yellow colour, I could read a book looking through it. Carbonation holds well, it's still bubbling strongly after nearly eight minutes out of the can. Head dissipated quickly though, leaving a splatter of grey-white foam.

Smell - It has a crisp, bitter smell to it. Definitely high hops quality, as is traditional in German beers.

Taste - It somewhat lacks in flavour right away, but gets stronger the more you drink. The bite of bitter hops is replaced with an almost tangy sweetness on the edge of your tongue. There are hints of fruit in there as well, though the flavour is so subtle and disppears so quickly I can't put my finger on what it is.

Mouthfeel - Light and fairly watery. Almost feels a luke-warm breeze caught in your throat.

Overview - While it definitely gets points for it's presentation, it's lack of any substantial flavouring is it's downfall. Remember kids, just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good. However as is the case with most import beers, you're not getting the best product; if I wanted to do a truely fair review, I'd have to go to the Warsteiner Braeuerei itself and try a batch. As it stands however, I'm giving the Premium Verum One and a Half Stars out of Five.

Serving type: can

08-03-2013 21:09:20 | More by NSBeers
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%

Decently drinkable german lager, fresh clean, but quite bland in its flavour, good for a hot day when its too hot to drink beer with flavour.

04-09-2002 01:09:28 | More by rastaman
Reaper16

Alabama

2.15/5  rDev -37.3%

12oz. Bottle served into a pint glass.

Pours a light, fizzy yellow. Pretty much indistinguishable from an American industrial lager. A finger and a half of white head. Meh.

Aromas of biscuit malt, pear skin, and common clover are about all that I can pull out of this beer. A bit of a skunky hop thing going on, even though this beer is packaged in a brown bottle. The taste follows the nose. This is not a very hoppy pilsner. It lacks crispness. The soft fruit skin and biscuit flavors are fine, but the tightness that makes a good pilsner is not evident. A lingering note of solvent alcohol on the finish; not good.

The mouthfeel is fine. It has plenty of carbonation to carry home those biscuity flavors. A light body too, which sort of works. Overall, I am not impressed with this beer. There are plenty of better pilsner options out there. Considering the price, I would rather drink American industrial lager. Seriously.

05-05-2011 04:02:23 | More by Reaper16
far333

Connecticut

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Very light yellow color with slight traces of a pure white foam, but no head to speak of. Faint aroma of yeast and butter, some corn. Carbonation explodes from the bottom to the top, fueling a thin white low head. Flavor is consistent from start to finish from the front of the palate all the way to the back, mostly corn. Perhaps a hint of citrus and grass, but too faint to be sure. No hop flavor to speak of. Not impressed with this selection.

04-25-2003 03:33:12 | More by far333
jar2574

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Clear light yellow color, poured out of a bottle and into a pint glass. Average head retention and carbonation.

No smell to speak of, except for a vague skunky odor.

Bitter flavored water. Not enough depth. Thin and inconsequential.

This could be passable if I was really thirsty and wanted a beer, but I usually love pilsners and expect better.

06-03-2007 03:20:45 | More by jar2574
MoreThanWine

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

A beautifully labeled bottle of nothing. Poured a 1" head which faded almost immediately. Straw yellow. Smelled moderately skunky. Still tasted OK but was really just a simple forgettable Pilsner style. Were it not skunked and poured into an anonymous glass I'd have guessed it was any generic American Pilsner.

But I love the black and gold label and even the brand name is cool. It's all look, no substance.

11-04-2010 09:07:26 | More by MoreThanWine
heavy216

2.35/5  rDev -31.5%

A: 11.2 oz bottle. litle to nil head, no lacing, very clear, see thru yellow in color

S: small amount of wheat aroma,

T/M: very watery, smooth going down with strong carbonation.barely had any taste or flavor

D: not the greatest, might have been better with some lemon or lime or some form of citrus to add a flavor, very blah

01-18-2011 12:34:06 | More by heavy216
franktheman

Ontario (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer has a nice blond beige color, 2 finger head. Had this one in a can. The beer is not great. What can i say it is average, personnally, i would not buy it again. This is my first German beer, so it is hard to compare with other German beers. Would not recommend this beer to a friend.

Serving type: can

02-21-2010 04:02:01 | More by franktheman
Bierguy5

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours a light golden color with a thin white foamy head. The head disappeared quickly with no lace left. The smell was sweet, and slightly skunky. The taste was unnaturally sweet up front, like rice, with a hint of bitterness at the end, with a good amount of skunkyness. Very thin body, and highly carbonated. Not very drinkable to me. I will pass on another one.

04-24-2004 04:48:22 | More by Bierguy5