Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Premium German PilsenerWarsteiner Premium German Pilsener

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,881
1.48/5  rDev -56.9%

This brew is normally a decent exported German brew, but not usually as good as ole Bitburger. It poured with a decent amount of bright white head and retained for about a minute and thinned out into a quarter inch of lacing. The body is ultra clear and is quite golden in color.

The aroma was a little skunkier than I'd expect, since I'm drinking this brew in its homeland; however, there were pronounced hints of husk and freshly mown hay.

I believe this sample I have has to have fell victim to oxidization. Truly skunky, eliminating my desire to taste another drop.

This makes me want to gag, I'm throwing it away. I've had this beer before and I don't remember this being so trashy.

1.55/5  rDev -54.8%

This beer was disappointing. It poured an extremely pale yellow with 1/8 inch head that quickly faded. The aroma had hints of resin and lemon. It's flavor began with some bitterness and led to lemon and hoppy notes, followed by a bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very thin, almost watery. Warsteiner Premium Verum, while a German pilsner, was more along the lines of an American adjunct lager. Not recommended.

1.71/5  rDev -50.1%

Warsteiner Premium Verum: really awful euro lager, bad skunked aroma, bad skunked taste. Nice clear color though. Not worth the money or the time, and I find the line on the back that life is too short to drink bad beer to be the height of irony.

1.73/5  rDev -49.6%

Poured from a 22.3 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with about two fingers worth of bright white head that recedes quickly and leaves virtually no lacing.

The nose is dominated by a skunky aroma. Really there seems to be nothing else there, my initial reaction was to make sure that I hadn't opened a Heineken by accident.

Unfortunately the taste is no better than the smell; skunky and unimpressive. Slightly bitter, and grainy with an odd aftertaste. Seems kinda thin and is overly carbonated. This beer really does nothing to distinguish itself from many of the other Euro lagers that I generally try to avoid. I found myself struggling just to finish the bottle

1.84/5  rDev -46.4%

My brother in law thougth he was hooking me up with this one. Just kind of blah. The best I can muster to say about this beer is that I poured with a nice head. I was also very dry, crisp and I imagine it would be refreshing if I wanted to be refreshed. It just doesn’t taste very good.

1.86/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I did not like this beer. Got it on top at Joe Kool's in Troy, MI, to try something new. I think I ended up chugging it to get something better. Appearance was straw colored with a head that disappeared in a few seconds. Nose is nearly non-existent - very light malt character, some apples maybe. Taste was likewise. Extremely mild, graininess, some mediocre malt. Feel was thin bodied and too carbonated. I wouldn't get this one again.

1.87/5  rDev -45.5%

After pushing puddles of slush throughout the morning hours here in wonderful Dorchester . I thought I would treat myself with a few brews and reviews . Blackburn Rovers / Bayer Leverkusen is on the dish right now . Sweet . It is not my beloved Glasgow Celtic but it will do . This is a single I bought yesterday and it is being poured in a pint glass . Very little head and the color is clear & yellowish . Very bubbly too . The smell is like the bread from Greenhills Bakery . Nothing else comes to mind . Taste on the other hand plenty comes to mind . Watery , and not pleasing to my pallete - granted it is an apprentice pallete - but blah . There is a thinsized head on the brew as I drink it but this reminds me of beer that we once pounded all day at UMass - Amherst . Yellow water fiz . It is dry and crisp but there is no mouthfeel . The Rovers match will do but this brew will not .

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

Very grassy hoppy notes, similar to Peroni with a little bit of a malty smell. Taste is at first very crisp and clean, a bit tart, not much going on flavour-wise. A mild skunky smell comes through as it begins to warm. Overall an absolutely average pilsener with a hint of funk.

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a very good beer in my opinion. Pours a golden color with a white head and a little lacing. Smells of malts! And more malts! Tastes of malts! And more malts! And not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and weak. Drinkability is poor. I do not like the beer. It is a classic but it is not as great as people make it out to be.

1.97/5  rDev -42.6%

Clear gold/straw color, medium head fades to tiny bubbles. Smmells like just another middle of the road boring euro lager (grass and cereal). Taste is extremely grassy, though, setting itself apart from other euros, but not necessarily in a good way. Grassy sweetness gets cloyying towards the bottom of the glass, one of the only beers that I have had that is spicy because of malt.

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a small head with almost no retention. Aroma is very weak with small touch of malt and sweet coming out of my glass. Taste is also very weak, almost watery with no hops detectable. Very bland and boring pilsner. I guess this could be an OK session beer on a beach down south…

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

Warsteiner Premium Verum
Warsteiner Brauerei
Style: German Pilsener
ABV: 4.80 %

Reviewed 10/1/08, bottle>pilsner glass
A 2.5 - light golden color, very small head, gone quick
S 2.0 - skunked aroma
T 2.0 - I dislike the taste of this brew. Slightly bitter and noticeably skunky.
MF 2.0 Watery, can't get past the taste....
D - 2.0 - It would be tough to drink this one again, I had a 12 pack left in my fridge from a party and it stayed there a long, long time, until I finally gave them away.

2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

This is another one of those German pilsners. Grassy, light, and fresh. Not a lot of hops in this beer. Has the traditional flavors that most of these beers have. Had it for the first time at Dunerbaks German Restaurant. I felt that it'd be a fitting to have this with some brats. The beer wasn't my favorite mainly because I just don't care for this style too much. But I will agree that it went well with the food I was having.

2.08/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer did not grab me hard in any way. Overall just a very bland pilsner that is poorly balanced. What I was impressed with in this beer was the appearance and palate. It looked good to drink and felt good to drink. The only thing is it was vicously bland with a light bread/grape aroma, and moderately sweet flavor. Not a beer I am all that eager to drink ever again.

2.11/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - 2 fingers of of smooth off-white head. Extremely clear yellow colour, I could read a book looking through it. Carbonation holds well, it's still bubbling strongly after nearly eight minutes out of the can. Head dissipated quickly though, leaving a splatter of grey-white foam.

Smell - It has a crisp, bitter smell to it. Definitely high hops quality, as is traditional in German beers.

Taste - It somewhat lacks in flavour right away, but gets stronger the more you drink. The bite of bitter hops is replaced with an almost tangy sweetness on the edge of your tongue. There are hints of fruit in there as well, though the flavour is so subtle and disppears so quickly I can't put my finger on what it is.

Mouthfeel - Light and fairly watery. Almost feels a luke-warm breeze caught in your throat.

Overview - While it definitely gets points for it's presentation, it's lack of any substantial flavouring is it's downfall. Remember kids, just because it looks good doesn't mean it is good. However as is the case with most import beers, you're not getting the best product; if I wanted to do a truely fair review, I'd have to go to the Warsteiner Braeuerei itself and try a batch. As it stands however, I'm giving the Premium Verum One and a Half Stars out of Five.

2.16/5  rDev -37%

12oz. Bottle served into a pint glass.

Pours a light, fizzy yellow. Pretty much indistinguishable from an American industrial lager. A finger and a half of white head. Meh.

Aromas of biscuit malt, pear skin, and common clover are about all that I can pull out of this beer. A bit of a skunky hop thing going on, even though this beer is packaged in a brown bottle. The taste follows the nose. This is not a very hoppy pilsner. It lacks crispness. The soft fruit skin and biscuit flavors are fine, but the tightness that makes a good pilsner is not evident. A lingering note of solvent alcohol on the finish; not good.

The mouthfeel is fine. It has plenty of carbonation to carry home those biscuity flavors. A light body too, which sort of works. Overall, I am not impressed with this beer. There are plenty of better pilsner options out there. Considering the price, I would rather drink American industrial lager. Seriously.

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%

A beautifully labeled bottle of nothing. Poured a 1" head which faded almost immediately. Straw yellow. Smelled moderately skunky. Still tasted OK but was really just a simple forgettable Pilsner style. Were it not skunked and poured into an anonymous glass I'd have guessed it was any generic American Pilsner.

But I love the black and gold label and even the brand name is cool. It's all look, no substance.

2.23/5  rDev -35%

Clear light yellow color, poured out of a bottle and into a pint glass. Average head retention and carbonation.

No smell to speak of, except for a vague skunky odor.

Bitter flavored water. Not enough depth. Thin and inconsequential.

This could be passable if I was really thirsty and wanted a beer, but I usually love pilsners and expect better.

2.26/5  rDev -34.1%

Very light yellow color with slight traces of a pure white foam, but no head to speak of. Faint aroma of yeast and butter, some corn. Carbonation explodes from the bottom to the top, fueling a thin white low head. Flavor is consistent from start to finish from the front of the palate all the way to the back, mostly corn. Perhaps a hint of citrus and grass, but too faint to be sure. No hop flavor to speak of. Not impressed with this selection.

2.35/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

*transferred from previous notes 1/22/2014*
12 oz bottle poured into a 6oz english tulip. Yeast is the primary aroma emanating from this one. Some minor floral and grassy notes appear faintly along with (maybe) some black pepper traces - but the yeast dominates. It pours a straw bubbly yellow with a soft whipped-egg-white foamy head. The taste is mellow sweet with some very light, light souring. Not much bitterness, although what’s there does come through at the finish. It’s a light bodied, dry, thin beer with active carbonation. On the tongue, some lemon citrus comes through initially which slips into a weak floral hoppy finish which then disappears quickly - mostly a clean finish.

2.37/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

it has a light skunky taste but it's not overwhelming like say heineken is, and because of that it is also smoother which was probably the best thing about this beer.

2.39/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Delicate and light base. Would be refreshing but the predominate flavour, to me, is that of tabanone (a grassy burned cigarette flavour) which just takes over the appreciation of this lager. This one is going down the sink as I find it too horrible to consume.

2.4/5  rDev -30%

A: 11.2 oz bottle. litle to nil head, no lacing, very clear, see thru yellow in color

S: small amount of wheat aroma,

T/M: very watery, smooth going down with strong carbonation.barely had any taste or flavor

D: not the greatest, might have been better with some lemon or lime or some form of citrus to add a flavor, very blah

2.41/5  rDev -29.7%

#30. Warsteiner Premium Verum. Part of a build your own six pack. Haven't seen it elsewhere, so I'm game to see how German Import adds up to the other competition.

Poured from a 11.2 fl oz bottle to a mug at room temperature.

(Appearance) Overdid the pour! Yields a 2 finger depth head that is foamy but retains pretty average. Color is a light amber, almost golden yellow. Carbonation is active and creates larger than average bubbles. Nothing amazing, but this beer doesn't look too bad. 3

(Smell) A very clean, grainy macro-esque smell, not super pleasing. High tones smell like grapes or sweet apples in their most minute form. Some very faint malts and hops are here. Smell is not pungent nor is it unique nor is it complex. It's not repulsive, but it is disappointing. 2

(Taste) A slight improvement over the smell, this beer has better flavor. I pick up on some sweet flavors that may come from some light grapes and some faintly malty grains. A slight edge of hops brace the finish. Nothing groundbreaking, but the sub-par smell is complemented with the average, rather boring taste I get from this beer. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Modest levels of carbonation make this beer slightly more crisp than anything else. Beer is thin and light bodied, watery. Finish isn't great, some hoppy flavors, but they're either not fresh or they aren't in their purest form. Nothing here blows me away. 2.5

(Drinkability) Drinkable due to it being light bodied but a two dimensional cheap clean taste makes this beer not enjoyable as something to drink in multiple amounts. I wouldn't go for a second one unless it was given to me charge free. 2.5

Verdict: Nothing too exciting about this beer. It tastes like a run-of-the-mill beer for people looking for something cheap to drink while touring Europe. I wasn't a big fan of this beer and will more than likely not try it again. D+ (2.5)

2.43/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a light golden color with a thin white foamy head. The head disappeared quickly with no lace left. The smell was sweet, and slightly skunky. The taste was unnaturally sweet up front, like rice, with a hint of bitterness at the end, with a good amount of skunkyness. Very thin body, and highly carbonated. Not very drinkable to me. I will pass on another one.

Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener from Warsteiner Brauerei