Warsteiner Premium Verum - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Verum Alström Bros
3.42/5  rDev -0.3%

A: very yellow pale, traslucent with a lot of carbonatation which generates a rich, cloudy, persistent, white head

S: nice bready aroma, some floral sweetness

T: at the beggining some sweetness is percieved, crispy on tongue, refreshing, light body, a bready after taste with a tiny bitter finish, it is not as long as i would like, a chewy end remains over there

Good enough for the style, nice option for a bbq afternoon

4.15/5  rDev +21%

A: Straw yellow with a finger of forthy head, dissipating into a decent lace. Some lacing throughout.

S: Floral hops, fresh, corn, mealy.

T: Nice light biscuity malt up front. Small amount of hops and a nice clean finish.

M: Not as thin as expected, kinda clings to the mouth - in a good way.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with a half finger high, off-white head. The head dissipated rapidly to nothing remaining. The initial smell of the beer is that of wheat. The initial taste of the beer is that of light wheat with hints of sweetness. There is a light bitterness to the beer, as well as a light body with medium carbonation. The carbonation seems a bit high for the beer initially, but mellows out with time.

Overall, this beer is ok. I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but this one doesn't really bother me. This isn't a beer that I go out and buy, but my father always seem to have it.

2.78/5  rDev -19%

11.2 bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Straw yellow colored, about a fingers worth of head that disappeared quickly, with no lacing.

S: Smells like lemon water to me... Not much here.

T: There is a hop bitterness right up front that is splashed over with lemon water and finishes with a slight hoppy bitterness.

M: Pretty sharp carbonation, yet mid-bodied... Strange.. The smell and taste don't match mouthfeel.

D: This is a German Pilsener ??? Not like any I've had... Not one for me.

3.84/5  rDev +12%

Highly Drinkable reasonably priced Pilsner.
Im not a huge fan of this stlye but the warsteiner verum has a decent flavor.
I imagine this is how the original Budweiser/Miller tasted when the owners first emigrated to the US. Before they started watering it down adding rice and whatever the
#@%! beechwood is.
Pours a very light yellow, almost looks like a bud light or bud until you taste it. Has a bit of a bitter taste and finish but its not overpowering. Lots of grain flavor. Good stuff.

1.49/5  rDev -56.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Actually SuperNova777 (Josh) and I ordered these and I think they might have been bad. You'll see what I mean.

A- We drank these from the bottle but I poured a little into my wifes glass when she wasn't looking. It was a straw yellow color. There wasn't a head on the beer of course and no lacing when I drank it quickly. Because I didn't pour the whole thing in the glass I'm going to rate it a little above average.

S- This is where I think the beer might have been bad. Light malts in the background. Not bad right?? Well the dominate aroma was grape...yea grape. Interesting cause it was like a deep artifical grape..almost like Kool-Aid.

T- Grape, grape, and more grape. This really is like drinking a grape drink. I don't know how old this is but it went south fast...real fast. I asked Josh if he thought the same thing and we both agreed it was grape that we in fact were tasting.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little on the flat side. Grape left on the palte and long into the aftertaste. The flavors were actually one sided and that was grape. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This tasted like I was drinking a Boones Farm. I didn't tell Josh I didn't finish mine. I will review this again once I get another bottle but for now this is where it stands.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

This is one brand that has always cheered me up. Its appearance is quite glamorous, the smell is of an imported brew that demands respect. The taste is quite palatable with a bitter aftertaste - thats its differentiation, and the mouthfeel is quite soft and silky. I would drink this after meals due to the beer's pronounced yet subtle bitterness, in addition to no acidic feel makes it worth the money.

cheers!

1.62/5  rDev -52.8%

Poured from bottle into regular glass.

A - Poured clear orange color with small head that quickly dissipated leaving almost no lacing at all.

S - Skunk grains with no other scents present.

T - Very bitter. Tastes like copper pennies mixed with cough medicine. Really bad aftertaste.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Awful, really not impressed with it overall. It could have been very possible that it was tainted.

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%

A beautifully labeled bottle of nothing. Poured a 1" head which faded almost immediately. Straw yellow. Smelled moderately skunky. Still tasted OK but was really just a simple forgettable Pilsner style. Were it not skunked and poured into an anonymous glass I'd have guessed it was any generic American Pilsner.

But I love the black and gold label and even the brand name is cool. It's all look, no substance.

3.31/5  rDev -3.5%

This is a pretty average german pils, crystal clear yellow amber, good foam stand and sharp hops. I have this occasionally as it is often served at work functions. The hop and malt contributions are noticeable, but nothing outstanding. It definitely beats the domestic offerings by a mile, but I don't think I'd ever go out of my way for this, even if I had a hankering for a pilsner. In Easter PA, we just have far better alternatives.

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a light gold with a full white head that quickly dissipated into a small ring.
Aroma of grainy malt very earthy.
Smell was grassy with light malt and some pepper.
Mouthfeel was very light body, moderate carbonation, very light and crisp.
This is a very refreshing light beer, a good pilsener on a hot day.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

This was my previous review of the bottle version:

Had this at a german bar in Key West with my dinner. It was pretty good but not one of my favorite pilsners. However, it is a decent german pils and it's always good to see a beer of this caliber in a restaurant in the U.S.

This is a good one to get at any restaurant or bar.

Reviewed on: 02-19-2010 22:00:22

---

I think I liked the draft even better, which I drank a lot of during the Las Vegas Hilton's Octoberfest special ($3.25 for 16 ounces). Very refreshing, great malt and hops character, definitely a great alternative to the lighter heinekens and buds or the ubiquitous bottled fat tire and Sam Adams. Worth getting any time.

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance - Very clear white gold color with a super white head that wasn't too thick and didn't stick around too long. Few bubbles coming up from the bottom. Minimal lacing.

Smell - Very clean grassy or grain aromas. A minimal floral hop note that seems well balanced with the other aromas.

Taste - In the taste I'm experiencing some hop bite, a "wheaty", "grassy" malt and hints of corn. I have trouble detecting all of the flavors of German brews. I haven't experienced enough of them to pick out all the subtleties. Forgive my ignorance.

Mouthfeel - Medium to thin mouthfeel. Rather refreshing and smooth. Crisp and somewhat dry. Flavor hangs on the palate for a split second.

Drinkability - This is an easily drinkable brew. Would be nice for Spring and early Summer in my opinion. I just need more exposure to German beers to truly appreciate them. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a mild straw color with plenty of visible carbonation and a nice-forming white head without too much retention. The nose brings some Noble hops as well as a bit of grain. The taste is slightly earthy and floral, with a good deal of grass and grain. Feel is slightly bitter and somewhat dry, with fairly large amounts of carbonation. Drinks okay and is certainly preferable to Heineken and the like, although I think I prefer Pilsner Urquell.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a straw yellow colour with thin white head. Small amount of lacing, but head retention was pretty poor. Smells of some mild grassy hops with lots of grain malt. Flavour is just a hint of bitterness, with some mild sweetness. Really not that much flavour, though nothing off about it either. Carbonation was a bit too high for the style. Ok beer to get if there is nothing better around, but won't seek this out again.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from Bottle to Pint Glass

A - Clear Golden, very thin lace, Head poured white and dispersed within minutes.
S - Earthy aroma, slight maltiness.
T - Nobel hops are present, grassy, and the pils taste. Slight hop.
M - light, crisp, and refreshing; I like the carbonation because it adds a sharpness to the crispness.
D - the best pils that I've had thus far. could drink it all day

3.1/5  rDev -9.6%

It has just a small, fast-dropping head, which reduces to nearly nothing then absolutely gone within minutes. The lacing is just the odd bubble spot. The colour is a crystal clear pale yellow.

In the smell is bread, a tad of that "Euro-lager skunky smell" just when I opened the can, and a bit of corn, I think.

The taste is a bit of honey and grain at first. I seem to get some corn or rice out of it... it tastes a bit flat and cheap as the glass wears on.

I find the carbonation a bit sharp / aggressive. It's still refreshing and crisp, and not too watery. The finish is dry.

Overall, it's an average beer that would best suit a hot day, when you're just looking for something to wet your whistle.

4.85/5  rDev +41.4%

A - A light sparkling gold with a thin lace.

S - Earthy armoa with a subtle undertone of maltiness

T - Earthy hop character with a hint of lemon.

M - Light, Crisp, and refreshing.

D - Could drink this all day and all night.

This is one of my favorites. A great session beer that I come back to quite often.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

a- bottle poured into a tasting glass, very clear muted yellow coloring, one finger fades somewhat quickly to some lacing.

s- pils-y, grass, noble hopping, average pils nose, some pepper.

t- grainy, light, grain and grass, very light noble hops, enjoyable but very light.

m- very light, refreshing.

d- okay, i have had better pils, but this is refreshing and goes down very easily. although i think this is a one and done beer.

4.32/5  rDev +25.9%

Aroma is of wet grain...hay....barley. A very distinctive smell to it.

The taste is again one that sets it apart from all other beers I've sampled. The body of the beer has a definitive barley taste to it....it's definitely one that I have not had in another beer. Some may refer to it as grain or hay, but it's quite a sharp and distinctive taste. There's a good pils hop bitterness on the back end as well from the Noble hops, which helps finish the beer out on a clean note. However, the barley does stick around on the aftertaste somewhat.

This, in my opinion, is a good go-to beer for sessions. It's tasty, it's clean, and goes down smooth. I enjoy it.

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt. Extremely pale and clear gold with a small white head that recedes quickly. Doesn't smell like much, faint pils malt and lager yeast, a hint of grassy hops. Tastes clean and light, mildly malty, suggests some hoppiness. Finish might taste bitter if you've never had beer before. This is like the Bud of Germany, completely bland and boring but not outright terrible, I guess.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Pours to a clear, light yellow with a small, fizzy white head.

Smell: Smells grainy with some earthy malts.

Taste: Starts out like a typical pils, then I'm not entirely sure what happens. There is an odd, dry taste that comes out that is actually quite nice. Finishes with some nice grain and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down well, I wouldn't mind polishing off a few of these every now and then.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

Ahh, the first after a long day. Originally poured myself a homebrewed weizenbock from my backpack that'd been traveling with me all day after my 11.5 hour work day. Was not cutting it. Recapped the bomber and set the beer aside, maybe with the eggs in the morning before we start again in earnest. Couldn't believe this was in my fridge. I didn't buy it. But there it was. Maybe a homebrew? We shall let the pour decide. Ahhh, gloriously pilsnery with crystal clarity. Not my beer. Someone else must've made this. Someone, perhaps, who does this for a living? Toasty malt aromas dominate with a plague of earthy, slightly musty hops. She's a bit sticky going down and the flavor is perfect.. never have I been more pleased with a pilsner. A bit grainy but altogether very delicious and well-balanced.

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

Pretty much an average German Pils but a few things should be noted....

taste; starts with a blunt, typical pilsner flavor but then something interesting happens. A kind of strange barley chunky flavor comes out but it's not sweet and almost bad but it quickly grows on me and I start to like it. The hop after taste is very strange too. The flavor is more herbal than bitter, not what I like best but really curious. I think the balance of the hops and barley is on a separate, but not necessarily better level compared to other German brews of this style. I almost want to put it with the export style and not a pilsner, I'm a little confused on the mixed characters.

drinkability; this is a very drinkable beer and I always like to fall back on it on the long Lufthansa flights. Drink to your fill, better than Becks for sure.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Pale yellow with stark white head that mostly dissipates.

Smell: Very grassy with a spicy noble hop kick. Not too much aroma.

Taste: Same as the smell - very grassy, with a nice spicy and bitter hop finish. Very light apple and citrus, but this is a very simple Pilsner.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, light body, dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite good for a mass produced German Pilsner, but the smaller German brewers and US craft brewers make better.

Warsteiner Premium Verum from Warsteiner Brauerei