Warsteiner Premium Verum - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Premium VerumWarsteiner Premium Verum

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Verum Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -9.6%

It has just a small, fast-dropping head, which reduces to nearly nothing then absolutely gone within minutes. The lacing is just the odd bubble spot. The colour is a crystal clear pale yellow.

In the smell is bread, a tad of that "Euro-lager skunky smell" just when I opened the can, and a bit of corn, I think.

The taste is a bit of honey and grain at first. I seem to get some corn or rice out of it... it tastes a bit flat and cheap as the glass wears on.

I find the carbonation a bit sharp / aggressive. It's still refreshing and crisp, and not too watery. The finish is dry.

Overall, it's an average beer that would best suit a hot day, when you're just looking for something to wet your whistle.

4.88/5  rDev +42.3%

A - A light sparkling gold with a thin lace.

S - Earthy armoa with a subtle undertone of maltiness

T - Earthy hop character with a hint of lemon.

M - Light, Crisp, and refreshing.

D - Could drink this all day and all night.

This is one of my favorites. A great session beer that I come back to quite often.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

a- bottle poured into a tasting glass, very clear muted yellow coloring, one finger fades somewhat quickly to some lacing.

s- pils-y, grass, noble hopping, average pils nose, some pepper.

t- grainy, light, grain and grass, very light noble hops, enjoyable but very light.

m- very light, refreshing.

d- okay, i have had better pils, but this is refreshing and goes down very easily. although i think this is a one and done beer.

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

Aroma is of wet grain...hay....barley. A very distinctive smell to it.

The taste is again one that sets it apart from all other beers I've sampled. The body of the beer has a definitive barley taste to it....it's definitely one that I have not had in another beer. Some may refer to it as grain or hay, but it's quite a sharp and distinctive taste. There's a good pils hop bitterness on the back end as well from the Noble hops, which helps finish the beer out on a clean note. However, the barley does stick around on the aftertaste somewhat.

This, in my opinion, is a good go-to beer for sessions. It's tasty, it's clean, and goes down smooth. I enjoy it.

Draft at Gourmet Haus Staudt. Extremely pale and clear gold with a small white head that recedes quickly. Doesn't smell like much, faint pils malt and lager yeast, a hint of grassy hops. Tastes clean and light, mildly malty, suggests some hoppiness. Finish might taste bitter if you've never had beer before. This is like the Bud of Germany, completely bland and boring but not outright terrible, I guess.

3.6/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Pours to a clear, light yellow with a small, fizzy white head.

Smell: Smells grainy with some earthy malts.

Taste: Starts out like a typical pils, then I'm not entirely sure what happens. There is an odd, dry taste that comes out that is actually quite nice. Finishes with some nice grain and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied with quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down well, I wouldn't mind polishing off a few of these every now and then.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

Ahh, the first after a long day. Originally poured myself a homebrewed weizenbock from my backpack that'd been traveling with me all day after my 11.5 hour work day. Was not cutting it. Recapped the bomber and set the beer aside, maybe with the eggs in the morning before we start again in earnest. Couldn't believe this was in my fridge. I didn't buy it. But there it was. Maybe a homebrew? We shall let the pour decide. Ahhh, gloriously pilsnery with crystal clarity. Not my beer. Someone else must've made this. Someone, perhaps, who does this for a living? Toasty malt aromas dominate with a plague of earthy, slightly musty hops. She's a bit sticky going down and the flavor is perfect.. never have I been more pleased with a pilsner. A bit grainy but altogether very delicious and well-balanced.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Pretty much an average German Pils but a few things should be noted....

taste; starts with a blunt, typical pilsner flavor but then something interesting happens. A kind of strange barley chunky flavor comes out but it's not sweet and almost bad but it quickly grows on me and I start to like it. The hop after taste is very strange too. The flavor is more herbal than bitter, not what I like best but really curious. I think the balance of the hops and barley is on a separate, but not necessarily better level compared to other German brews of this style. I almost want to put it with the export style and not a pilsner, I'm a little confused on the mixed characters.

drinkability; this is a very drinkable beer and I always like to fall back on it on the long Lufthansa flights. Drink to your fill, better than Becks for sure.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Pale yellow with stark white head that mostly dissipates.

Smell: Very grassy with a spicy noble hop kick. Not too much aroma.

Taste: Same as the smell - very grassy, with a nice spicy and bitter hop finish. Very light apple and citrus, but this is a very simple Pilsner.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, light body, dry finish.

Drinkability: Quite good for a mass produced German Pilsner, but the smaller German brewers and US craft brewers make better.

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

A-Poured into my Oktoberfest mug. It pours a straw yellow with a thick white head that dissipates rather quickly. There was no lacing.

S-Not a very strong nose to say the least. It consists of some Noble hop notes and some malt. It was actually very generic smelling.

T-About the same as the nose. The Noble hops stick out, but they aren't overpowering. It has a nice malt balance. The flavor is kind of spicy/herbal. There is also a lingering bitter aftertaste.

M-Thin and oily.

D-Its very easy to drink due to the fact it doesn't have much flavor and what flavor does exist is actually very balanced. Its low alcohol content make it a true session beer.

Overall, I was wanting something easy to drink that would be better than American macro swill, but not really test my palate and this beer did actually fulfill those needs. However, I was expecting a little more. It says on the bottle its made from hop extract, maybe that was one of the problems.

3.14/5  rDev -8.5%

Super clarity, lots of carbonation but a miniscule amount of head on this one, not much to retain, if at all. Aroma was inconsequential.

Taste, super dry, lots of carbonation, very light. Seems like a summer beer with just a smidge of Nobles. Don't look for this when you want a big beer.

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a light straw gold into a pilsener glass. Two-finger head died back to a thin cap that stayed on for a while but not til the finish. Looks fine but not remarkable.
Smell is nice. Grainy with some earthy and biscuity thrown in but not as grassy as one might expect.
Tastes immediately citrusy and mildly sweet. Pilsy but with understated bitterness and moderate dryness. I like it, but I've tasted better. Nice drink for a hot day, regardless.
Mouthfeel is decent, with some creaminess, moderate carbonation and fullness.
Drinkability is okay, but it was distinctly better cold. As it warmed, the wheels came off a bit and what there was of crisp dryness was mostly lost.

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

I had never tried this before, and I didn't know what to expect. Usually I only drink German wheat beers, so this was a nice surprise.

Admittedly, I didn't get a lot out of the appearance, because I never got around to pouring it into a glass -- I'm terrible, I know! The bottle itself was rather nice, although the label had been badly destroyed during shipping.

The smell was pretty decent, I was instantly reminded of Heineken's sort of skunky note, but the resemblance ended there. I detected a nice biscuity malt scent through the opening in the bottle, with relatively little hop.

The same could be said for the taste. This is a malty pilsner, best served relatively cold, and consumed before it can warm. Mine never got a chance to warm significantly.

The mouthfeel was fairly average, nothing especially amazing. It had a bit of a sting after swallowing, I guess.

The drinkability is perhaps the best part. There's nothing offensive about this beer that a typical American adjunct macro-swiller would complain about, but it still has marks of quality in every regard. Basically, this is the style of beer I would use to graduate a macro drinker to the next level.

Here's a beer I would gladly purchase again. The price was even quite decent - $2.49 for the 22.3 ounce bottle. Next time I will pour it into proper glassware.

4.28/5  rDev +24.8%

I first has this beer at an authentic German restaurant. Served in a mug with a one finger head. Appearance was a very light straw color yellow. Nothing impressive with its appearance. The smell was a grassy smell. Typical German lager smell. Taste was quite nice. Grassy/earth taste. This beer has a nice after taste that kept me craving for more. I could drink a good bit of this beer. After trying this beer on tap, I bought a 6 pack. Same quality and taste. I was impressed with Warsteiner Verum. Will try the dunkel soon.

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a bud lite yellow color with a small white head that's very tame abd a bit bland. Nose is slightly wheaty and a bit grainy.

Taste is very crisp an surprisingly creamy and smooth. It's not bad but it doesn't have mch flavor at all. Better than a by any day but not great.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

330ml bottle served in an ordinary glass.

A: Pours the traditional clear golden yellow color with a big fluffy and aired white head. Low retention and few lacings

S: Grains and hops, basically

T: Again, grains and hops backbone. Nice balanced bitterness. Metallic end

M: Light body. Refreshing. High carbonation

D: Good drinkability. A simple and refreshing beer, that's all

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

poured a medium yellow color with a white head that dissipated quickly..the smell was malt and grain with hops ..taste was simple pils it was sweet malt with floral noble pils with a bready finish ,,it had a light/medium mouth feel was easy to drink on the crisp refreshing side ..neither bad nor good..not my first choice fr a euro pils

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A very drinkable beer that is found in most good supermarkets in Singapore.

A: Pours a straw gold colour with a very bubbly head that dissipates quickly. The carbonation is heavy in this beer.

S: Smells of grass and some hint of hoppy smell that is quite pleasant.

T: A crisp, dry beer that tastes like a very well brewed lager.

D: this is easily the best part of this beer as it tastes strong enough to be interesting but doesn't weigh you down.

Overall a perfect lager for a hot day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Clear straw gold with a soapy head that recedes quickly but manages to retain a thin cap.

Pretty much right on par for a true German Pils. Bone-dry, pleasantly crisp, smoothly bitter, with a flair of floral hoppiness.

For $2 a pop as McNellie's monthly special I'll gladly have a few, but at the usual $5-6 per I'll pass.

A German Macro some say...it sure as hell beats an American Macro any day.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Clear, bright golden, many carbonation bubbles. Thick heads gently subsides into a thin ring.
S- A bit of malt, and some tea and grassy hops on the nose. Understated, yet refined.
T- A bit sweet, with some light malt and grass flavors kicking in through the finish with a light hop twinge.
M- Smooth, with a crisp dry finish.
D- Thoroughly drinkable and a good dinner beer. Nothing exactly unique, but it is a good standard for the style.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

I have tried just about every beer at Publix and this is the best. I was looking for beer the wife could pick up during a routine shopping trip that satisfied and this does the trick. Considering the price and the availability this is a good beer on a hot day. Only drawback for me is the lack of carbonation; otherwise, very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured into a stemless 8 oz. flute from a 11.2 oz bottle.

A - Has a bright golden color to it that, is clear. Head pours about 2 fingers worth and, disappears about a minute after. No lacing.

S - Smells of hops and barley. Kind of sweet with a bitterness to it. Smells like a pilsner should.

T - Hop bitterness with a sweet character that follows. It lingers on the back palate for a little while.

M - Mild carbonation. Doesn't really hit you with a pow but, the hop bitterness give a little kick.

D - I could drink this beer again. Goes down very smooth and is a great thirst quencher on a hot St. Louis August night.

This is a very good example of a German Pilsner. Not the best but, a good starter beer for those who are just starting to explore into the world of craft and import brews

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Beer poured with a slight head which quickly disappeared leaving little lace along the sides. The beer was yellow colored straw with little carbonation. Not only did the beer look watery I felt that sensation when I drank it. Very light on the palate but also crisp and refreshing. The aroma matched the taste well and to me I got a lemony, slightly buttery taste. I seem like I am bashing the beer but I did like it. Very refreshing when it is over 100 degrees in Texas.

Photo of
2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

Overall not really impressed or really put off by this beer. It's a decent pilsner. I could have a few of these and not be too upset.

Appearance is reasonable. Head disipated immediately.
Smell - is mildly hoppy. definitely German.
Taste is kind of mundane. This was the lowest point for me.

Overall just kind of boring. But sometimes that's okay.

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Best before January 11, 2011.

Pours a straw color with hardly any head, what head there is of fades very fast, no lacing of any kind.

Smell has mostly a grassy aroma with some sweet malt thrown in, for some odd reason the grassiness isn't very appealing.

Taste is light and crisp with good carbonation, unfortunately that's all that I can say works for this beer, it tastes of straw that which doesn't sit well in the aftertaste at all.

Warsteiner Premium Verum from Warsteiner Brauerei