Warsteiner Premium Verum - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Premium VerumWarsteiner Premium Verum

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Verum Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

I thought this beer was a pretty decent European-style lager.

Poured a fairly handsome golden color with abundant white head with limited staying power.

Aroma smelled a bit like corn, but I believe this beer is in accordance with Reinheitsgabot (sic?), so I don't think that's what I was getting.

Flavor was slght malt flavor, but still tasted like a German-style pilsner and was fairly crisp, refreshing, and drinkable.

BeerBelcher, Jan 07, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly goldish straw color with a dense foamy head two inches thick. Carbonation streams up evenly and constantly.

Grassy, floral and slightly earthy notes in the nose, along with a touch of grain. Pleasant bite in the mouth, with grassy aromas moving quickly into lemony zest. Carbonation provides a nice mouthfeel with a little bit of a mineral-water zing. Maybe a little more malt sweetness than I'd like in the finish; it interacts a little strangely with that lemon-zest hoppiness. Some yeast shows through as well, though it's pretty subdued. A little fruit-skin crispness and some puckering dryness in the very end.

This is nice stuff. Fairly middle-of-the-road as a German pilsner, but never a bad idea for a grab off the supermarket beer shelf.

Melchizedek, Jan 06, 2007

This is a traditional German Pilsener. It is everything I expect a German Pilsener to be but it is a style that simply does not WOW me. Still I find this one good and a great example of the style, IMO.

Appearance: Pours a Clear pale yellow with big bubbles slowly rising through the body and vividly displaying in my Pilsner Glass. The big white head has a decent retention. Spotty lacing at a few places.
Smell: Dry Saaz hops & malts. Crisp clean. It is the smell of a Pils.
Taste Mouthfeel Drinkability: This beer is exceptionally easy to drink and quite quenching. I found that the flavor is straightforward pilsner malts and hops in a crisp nicely carbonation body, but something about each sip simply lends right into the next. And though there is nothing extreme or outstanding about this beer it is a perfect session beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 02, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a straw color with a nice foamy white head that dissipated fairly quick and left no lacing, very similar to Bud. Not much on the nose, a bit of hop smell. The lager has a bit of malty sweetness to it and a light hop taste. Its has a light and almost watery mouthfeel. This is the beer that the American macro lagers should be striving for. It is very easy to drink but doesn't use any adjuncts to fudge up the flavor. This is the ultimate beer to get people off of the American macro brew.

Gmann, Dec 31, 2006

This beer was a nice clear yellow with a one and a half finger head that subsided quickly to almost nothing.

Aroma was slightly sweet and grassy, with light malts and some grain thrown in.

Taste was clean malt, lightly bitter, a little grainy but not bad.

Mouthfeel was crisp and OK overall.

Drinkability was all right. I wouldn't go crazy for this one, but it is middle of the road.

connecticutpoet, Dec 28, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +23%

Quite possibly my favourite German beer.
My first choice beer when I'm back home. I still get a lot of this in the states but it's mostly in a can over here. The tin does not do it justice at all and makes you cringe after the first sip. It also leaves a tinny after-taste.
When it comes to the bottle however it can't be beat. There's not much about this beer I don't like, it's no-frills, good pils which you can drink at any time of the year. It has a nice golden colour, not too pale, and when poured into a "Tulpe" glass it has a medium-sized head which doesn't last too long. It smells comforting and warm. Doesn't go down as smoothly at first but that gives it more character. Tastes great warm as well as cold and is good on tap (but I prefer the bottle).

d07c0m, Dec 22, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

16.9 oz brown bottle.

Pours a nice pils gold with a solid head and excellent lacing.

Smells a little skunked, oddly enough, along with some fresh pils weeds and a very nice, solid background of dry hops.

Tastes exactly like it smells, only with the skunk relegated to the background, where it lingers at the end as a pleasant little whisp. Nice.

A solid and highly quaffable German pils.

mynie, Dec 21, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured pale gold with a tall thin white head that disappered after a little while, leaving slight lacing. Aroma was pilsner: crisp hops and malt. Taste was smooth at first, then a sharp bitter hop finish. A clean-tasting German pilsner with a little twang at the end. Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice, drinkable beer.

alexskovan, Dec 04, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This was properly chilled. It was placed in the proper glass and was consumed during a bizarre Bears whooping of the Giants. Both were almost a waste of time. But as time progressed the Bears and the beer came into their own.

The appearance of this beer is typical--light straw. Also, it contained almost no foam whatsoever. The beer is visually boring on all accounts.

The smell was truly unfortunate as it carried the dreaded skunk spoiled smell. It definitely reminded me of a Heineken or Becks. However, the smell did dissipate as time progressed.

The taste was typical of a pills but sub par. It starts somewhat sweet and quickly finishes bitterly and sour. Honestly, I do not understand why people rate this higher. There are so many better beers in this category. To its credit, as time progressed it did improve, but barely.

Its mouthfeel is fine with a pure tightly carbonated bite that is enjoyable. Someone here said that it would be good to enjoy while mowing the law. That just about says it all.

surcorx, Nov 13, 2006
3.43/5  rDev 0%

Presentation was a brown 12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
Appearance is a bright golden yellow color with a thin bright white head. A average looking beer right here.

Smell is very clean with a light malt crispyness, with a very small wiff of hops inbeded within.

Taste is like the smell, very clean crisp taste which is very refreshing after a long day of work. This is def. a session beer with a very high drinkability.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and the beer goes down very smooth, a lot nicer then a lot of the American swill that is around here.

MrHolland, Oct 31, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +2%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color that is lighter than you'd expect. There is a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is hoppy, a tad bitter, with slight nodes of malt. Grass/leaves in there as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It is not your run-of-the-mill pilsner, as it is much less bitter and has more of a malt overtone to it than one would expected. The big noble hops are still there, but much more reserved. There is a nice balance here. Mouthfeel is crisp and the beer finishes ok.

This is a drinkable beer for all intent and purposes, and I would reccommend if you're looking for something on the light side that's not overly bitter. A solid beer.

BBM, Oct 30, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

Got a 12 pack of this from the local store, still on the look out for the dunkel lager but I wanted to see what Warsteiner has to offer.

Appearance- Thin head the dissolves quickly, has a very light color, almost like a white wine. has a steady flow of carbonation.

Smell- Very subtle smell, what you would expect from a pilsner.

Taste- Smooth taste, very light and a good example of a tried and true pilsner. I'd say this is the way to go if your buddy wants a light beer and you don't want to see him settle for a macro.

mouthfeel- nicely carbonated, smooth and thin consistency. Right where it should be.

Drinkability- I probably won't pick this guy up again only cause I'm a Lager kinda guy. this is a great choice for a hot day when your not up for a wheat beer.

Notes- Give this one a try when the weather is warmer. Really showed me that Warsteiner is a good company that has alot to offer. I wasn't disappointed, but I'll keep on the look out for some dunkel lager.

torchedpunk, Oct 27, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz brown bottle

Warsteiner Premium Verum was pale golden in color with a white head. The head was meduim in size to start with, but was soon reduced to a thin spotty layer. The aroma was noble hops and light malt. The taste was about the same as the aroma, crisp with a dry finish. The body was medium-light with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was very good. This was my first "good beer" and opened my eyes to a bigger world of beer. It is still something I purchace a couple times a year.

afinepilsner, Oct 23, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a light straw color with chunky white head. No real scent to it. Not a whole lot of flavor either. Just a little bit sweet. Very creamy mouthfeel. It's drinkable, for a lot of the same reason budweiser is.. It makes no statements, so it's hard to disagree with it.

Kulrak, Oct 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

I filled my 1985 Munich Oktoberfest mug with this beer out of a 5 liter mini keg. I poured it into a stein. The color was a mild gold, with a good head that left heavy lacing. It both smelled and tasted sweet and biscuity, very pleasing and easy to drink. A nice mouthfeel that completes this beer as a solid all round session type beer.

adammills, Oct 02, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

This is an average offering: a classic case of "I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't go out and buy it either."

It pours a clear golden colour with a fluffy white head above. The aroma is wet, grassy hops countered by a sharp, yeasty aroma. That's it. Nothing else to it.

The taste goes a little beyond the uninspired aroma, with some spiciness and a grainy finish that cuts into the grassy hops. It has a nice medium-bodied mouthfeel and the carbonation is good for the style.

There are just so many better German pilseners out there, there's absolutely no reason for me to have another one of these. It's drinkable enough, however, that I could have a few if offered. :-)

vanrassel, Sep 26, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

In the pilsner glass, the Warsteiner produces a pale, straw-colored color that seems to be the standard image in our American macro-brew advertising i.e. looks just as it should.

Definitely some hay/grass odors, making for a very fresh smelling beer. Not a lot going on with the smell but this is a style for which I've always found accompanying smells to be only bad signs of things to come. So in this case its limitations in this area would appear to be a strength.

Much maltier/creamier than I remember. Perfect carbonation for the genre which serves to accentuate the main flavors. Faint hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

I've had this beer so many times without thinking about it that it's strange to actually be sitting down & analyzing it for the first time. Totally drinkable & for a style that I almost never go for I find it to be utterly enjoyable. Nothing complex here, just well-crafted, consistent goodness.

malcontent, Sep 21, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a clear, straw/yellow, with a white head that falls away. Not much effervescence.
Noble hop-filled aroma, some grassiness, some hay, and malty grain. Hint of sulfur. Very rural...
The malt starts at the front of the mouth, with some sweet cara/crystally notes in the middle, with the hop flavours bringing up the rear. it is rounded off with a good bitterness at the back.
A good lingering aftertaste that matches the aroma.
It has a good malt body, but a crisp finish, which makes this an excellent warm-day drink.

vancurly, Sep 18, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into tall tumbler.

Large white frothy head with medium retention. Only mild lacing. Very clear yellow color with lots of carbonation. Smell is very grainy, lots of adjuncts. Maybe a little grassy, but mostly grain. Taste is very grainy, a little bit of biscuity yeast, and slightly metalic. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is an OK beer, not my favorite style, and not my favorite Pilsner. But I won't say no if someone offered me one.

bort11, Sep 12, 2006

Cost: medium priced

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: adjusts

Taste: Buddy of mine uses this as his octoberfest barell. First time I tried it fell in love...Fine Beer!

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- y (session)

TechMyst, Sep 12, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

I drank this from my big ass mug, and it looked very Biergarten-esque with it's three finger fluffy short-lived head. Some whisps of sticky lacing coated the sides on the way down to about 1/4 finger. Later, nothing but a collar remained.

This has a very clean and clear malt nose that IMO is very typical of German pilseners. I also get a whiff of lagery funk smells (I don't know if everyone feels this way, but with alot of light colored lagers I get a very stale beer smell that reminds me of the way my fraternity smelled after a big kegger).

Tastes very clean, sweet, and malty. A big fat wad of hops catches up with the sweetness at the end, and the finish is quite bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is crisp and highly carbonated.

This is decently enjoyable, but it lacks a little in complexity. To me, this tates like a souped up (and more highly hopped) version of an American macro lager. I think this would be a good table beer to have with food.

This is a nice pils to sip out on my balcony and enjoy the end of summer.

pmcadamis, Sep 07, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -25.7%

I got a six pack of this stuff last summer going to a party. I figured I was in the mood for a nice german beer that I'd never had before.

Now I've read other reviews which makes me think that the beer I drank was old or something because this was very pungent and skunky tasting. At first I thought that it was maybe just a very hoppy beer but I gave my friend a try and he replied "hmm, no, this just tastes skunk to me...".

But that bias being said, the color was light. It was very perky on the tongue with an easy to drink feel to it. I think I might have to give it another try soon and review again.

Rudgers73, Sep 03, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Cant believe I havent reviewed this one before. Used to drink it often years and years ago. Served from a 500ml bottle. In appearance its just your typical run of the mill pilsner, pale golden with a thickish pure white head. Aroma is mainlly of grassy hops but its compartivlly weak. Nice enough taste, this has good malt but the grassy/spicy hop is more dominant. I really liked the mouthfeel on this one, quite smooth and no problem at all to gag one down. An average beer, good in hot weather

Reidrover, Aug 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle poured into a Glass. 355 ml

This would be my first review. I am trying my best to give a honest, untainted, unbiased opinion.

Nice 1cm Head of light fluff. Golden colour, Much lighter than I had expected. Smelled like a very beautifuly brewed Pils.

As I poured it, the carbonation bubbles danced for a short period afterwards. Then died down to a calm. The bubbles still danced like Champagne bubbles. Really nice.

The smell was strong like a lager. It was a definite Euro type smell.
Not your typical american style beer smell. It was skunky. Not in a bad way. Strong is what I mean. 4.8%

The taste is definitly the same as how it looks. Its a nice bite. The best for a Summer day break. Or good anytime. The taste wasnt OVER bearing. Just right. Didnt haunt me afterwards. Or make me burp like crazy.

Im sure I covered the bases on this one. Over all its a beer worthy of trying. For me, Its a beer I can drink everyday, no matter what else was around. High ranking for me.

And most importantly. The price (Which not too many seem to do) For a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles was on sale for $10.99.
I recommend drinking in a nice glass or stein. Not from the can.

Thanks
Clockwork

Clockwork420, Aug 29, 2006
3.43/5  rDev 0%

The fact that I can't find the style and it says premium already has me worried. Ingredients listed in English and German, interesting. Well it looks like a pils, and tastes like a pils, so that's what I'm going with. Poured a giant fluffy white head that was fed by clouds of bubbles from the clear golden (probably closer to clear then golden) beer below. Specs of lace are left as the head slowly fades. Light grassy hop aroma is not very interesting. The same grassy hops are in the flavor an touch of bite in the end. There isn't really a whole lot of flavor, just the fizzy carbonation on your cheeks and a kind of watery mouthfeel. A decent pils, but nothing to write home about.

HappyHourHero, Aug 27, 2006