Warsteiner Premium Verum - Warsteiner Brauerei

Warsteiner Brauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 07-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Warsteiner Premium Verum Alström Bros
3.67/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz brown bottle

Warsteiner Premium Verum was pale golden in color with a white head. The head was meduim in size to start with, but was soon reduced to a thin spotty layer. The aroma was noble hops and light malt. The taste was about the same as the aroma, crisp with a dry finish. The body was medium-light with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was very good. This was my first "good beer" and opened my eyes to a bigger world of beer. It is still something I purchace a couple times a year.

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a light straw color with chunky white head. No real scent to it. Not a whole lot of flavor either. Just a little bit sweet. Very creamy mouthfeel. It's drinkable, for a lot of the same reason budweiser is.. It makes no statements, so it's hard to disagree with it.

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

I filled my 1985 Munich Oktoberfest mug with this beer out of a 5 liter mini keg. I poured it into a stein. The color was a mild gold, with a good head that left heavy lacing. It both smelled and tasted sweet and biscuity, very pleasing and easy to drink. A nice mouthfeel that completes this beer as a solid all round session type beer.

3.01/5  rDev -12.2%

This is an average offering: a classic case of "I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't go out and buy it either."

It pours a clear golden colour with a fluffy white head above. The aroma is wet, grassy hops countered by a sharp, yeasty aroma. That's it. Nothing else to it.

The taste goes a little beyond the uninspired aroma, with some spiciness and a grainy finish that cuts into the grassy hops. It has a nice medium-bodied mouthfeel and the carbonation is good for the style.

There are just so many better German pilseners out there, there's absolutely no reason for me to have another one of these. It's drinkable enough, however, that I could have a few if offered. :-)

3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

In the pilsner glass, the Warsteiner produces a pale, straw-colored color that seems to be the standard image in our American macro-brew advertising i.e. looks just as it should.

Definitely some hay/grass odors, making for a very fresh smelling beer. Not a lot going on with the smell but this is a style for which I've always found accompanying smells to be only bad signs of things to come. So in this case its limitations in this area would appear to be a strength.

Much maltier/creamier than I remember. Perfect carbonation for the genre which serves to accentuate the main flavors. Faint hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

I've had this beer so many times without thinking about it that it's strange to actually be sitting down & analyzing it for the first time. Totally drinkable & for a style that I almost never go for I find it to be utterly enjoyable. Nothing complex here, just well-crafted, consistent goodness.

3.82/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a clear, straw/yellow, with a white head that falls away. Not much effervescence.
Noble hop-filled aroma, some grassiness, some hay, and malty grain. Hint of sulfur. Very rural...
The malt starts at the front of the mouth, with some sweet cara/crystally notes in the middle, with the hop flavours bringing up the rear. it is rounded off with a good bitterness at the back.
A good lingering aftertaste that matches the aroma.
It has a good malt body, but a crisp finish, which makes this an excellent warm-day drink.

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz bottle poured into tall tumbler.

Large white frothy head with medium retention. Only mild lacing. Very clear yellow color with lots of carbonation. Smell is very grainy, lots of adjuncts. Maybe a little grassy, but mostly grain. Taste is very grainy, a little bit of biscuity yeast, and slightly metalic. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is an OK beer, not my favorite style, and not my favorite Pilsner. But I won't say no if someone offered me one.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Cost: medium priced

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: adjusts

Taste: Buddy of mine uses this as his octoberfest barell. First time I tried it fell in love...Fine Beer!

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- y (session)

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%

I drank this from my big ass mug, and it looked very Biergarten-esque with it's three finger fluffy short-lived head. Some whisps of sticky lacing coated the sides on the way down to about 1/4 finger. Later, nothing but a collar remained.

This has a very clean and clear malt nose that IMO is very typical of German pilseners. I also get a whiff of lagery funk smells (I don't know if everyone feels this way, but with alot of light colored lagers I get a very stale beer smell that reminds me of the way my fraternity smelled after a big kegger).

Tastes very clean, sweet, and malty. A big fat wad of hops catches up with the sweetness at the end, and the finish is quite bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is crisp and highly carbonated.

This is decently enjoyable, but it lacks a little in complexity. To me, this tates like a souped up (and more highly hopped) version of an American macro lager. I think this would be a good table beer to have with food.

This is a nice pils to sip out on my balcony and enjoy the end of summer.

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

I got a six pack of this stuff last summer going to a party. I figured I was in the mood for a nice german beer that I'd never had before.

Now I've read other reviews which makes me think that the beer I drank was old or something because this was very pungent and skunky tasting. At first I thought that it was maybe just a very hoppy beer but I gave my friend a try and he replied "hmm, no, this just tastes skunk to me...".

But that bias being said, the color was light. It was very perky on the tongue with an easy to drink feel to it. I think I might have to give it another try soon and review again.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Cant believe I havent reviewed this one before. Used to drink it often years and years ago. Served from a 500ml bottle. In appearance its just your typical run of the mill pilsner, pale golden with a thickish pure white head. Aroma is mainlly of grassy hops but its compartivlly weak. Nice enough taste, this has good malt but the grassy/spicy hop is more dominant. I really liked the mouthfeel on this one, quite smooth and no problem at all to gag one down. An average beer, good in hot weather

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle poured into a Glass. 355 ml

This would be my first review. I am trying my best to give a honest, untainted, unbiased opinion.

Nice 1cm Head of light fluff. Golden colour, Much lighter than I had expected. Smelled like a very beautifuly brewed Pils.

As I poured it, the carbonation bubbles danced for a short period afterwards. Then died down to a calm. The bubbles still danced like Champagne bubbles. Really nice.

The smell was strong like a lager. It was a definite Euro type smell.
Not your typical american style beer smell. It was skunky. Not in a bad way. Strong is what I mean. 4.8%

The taste is definitly the same as how it looks. Its a nice bite. The best for a Summer day break. Or good anytime. The taste wasnt OVER bearing. Just right. Didnt haunt me afterwards. Or make me burp like crazy.

Im sure I covered the bases on this one. Over all its a beer worthy of trying. For me, Its a beer I can drink everyday, no matter what else was around. High ranking for me.

And most importantly. The price (Which not too many seem to do) For a 12 pack of 12 oz bottles was on sale for $10.99.
I recommend drinking in a nice glass or stein. Not from the can.

Thanks
Clockwork

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

The fact that I can't find the style and it says premium already has me worried. Ingredients listed in English and German, interesting. Well it looks like a pils, and tastes like a pils, so that's what I'm going with. Poured a giant fluffy white head that was fed by clouds of bubbles from the clear golden (probably closer to clear then golden) beer below. Specs of lace are left as the head slowly fades. Light grassy hop aroma is not very interesting. The same grassy hops are in the flavor an touch of bite in the end. There isn't really a whole lot of flavor, just the fizzy carbonation on your cheeks and a kind of watery mouthfeel. A decent pils, but nothing to write home about.

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance-Golden and crystal clear. 1cm head. Looks pretty appetizing.

Taste-Nice, sharp and crisp.

Mouthfeel-good carbonation, a bit of bite.

Drinkability--Very easy to have a few of these.

Notes--very good drinkable pilsner.

4.7/5  rDev +37%

A VERY GOOD BEER WITH AN EXCEPTIONAL DRINKABILITY; THE MOUTHFEEL IS ALSO EXCEPTIONAL. THE SMELL IS GOOD. A BEER FOR ALL SEASON BUT GREAT IN SUMMER.
THE BEST GERMAN PILS I HAVE DRANK. I ADVISE TO TASTE IT AT LEAST A TIME IN YOUR LIFE. VERY GOOD IN BOTTLE BUT EXCEPTIONAL IN GROWLER

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Pale gold color, with good head and some lacing. Not much in the way of smell, just some random hints of malt and hops. Taste is pretty nondescript. Nothing at all objecitonable. Slightly grassy and citrusy hops on a malt base. Mouthfeel is fairly light, with pretty good carbonation. Drinkability is moderate. I'd take it over an AML any day, but probably not something I would pick up in the store.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Apparently this is the official beer of Lufthansa, it was all they were serving on our way to Munich. Served to me in a bottle, it had a strong hoppy smell. It tasted exactly as it smelt. It had a loose, wet mouthfeel. It was quite drinkable, but left a slight film on my tongue. Average, but I had another, and another. It was a long flight.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Warsteiner Premium Verum
12 oz brown bottle
Freshness date on the back label - 08 MAR 07 16:05
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a bubbly golden straw yellow with a mini white head on top. Nice trails of mini carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Whiffs of sweet grains, spicy hops and apple sauce.

Honey sweetness on the malt side with flavors of rich grains. A grassy herbal quality takes over with an enjoyable baby hop snap on the finish. I like how soft and smooth the mouthfeel is for a German Pilsner.

Nothing spectular, but a rather solid beer overall for the style.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

500ml can poured in a pilsner glass.

Clear, golden in colour. White head is one inch on the pour and settles to a solid 1/8 inch cap. Nice lacing.

Grassy, noble, herbal hops with a light bready background makes for an enticing aroma.

Light malt sweetness and the noble hops balance out nicely at the start. In the middle the hops start to out pace the malt leading to a mildly bitter noble hop finish. Aftertaste is mild noble hops, but not bitter, just flavour.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Crisp and clean.

Much better in a can than in a bottle. A genuine pleasure on a hot summer day.

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Man, this is the best-looking pilsner I've seen in forever. Bright new brass color is crystal clear and the head on this beer is huge. It stays for the entire time I drink my massive 22oz serving and leaves a great lacing. I couldn't really smell (smokey bar) but I'll assume it was a nice puchy noble hop smell based on the taste. Speaking of which, very simple but bold and balanced. Rather on the sweet side for a pilsner, but balanced by the drying power of a very forceful hop bitter. Has that Hienekin/ Grolsch kind of crisp, snappy finish. Mouthfeel is a little stingy. Forgot how good this stuff is. I drank quite a bit.

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Drank this in 'Cochem -on-the -Mosel' at an outside table, people watching, a great hobbie of mine!

Sunny, warm and calm. A half litre handled glass is brought over to me, full of foaming beer, it looks good, no great smell, but it is a lager (sorry, pilsner).

As others have said, it is fairly dry to the taste and has a touch of flavour compared to some German beers. I have drank it many times in the past, draught, bottled and canned, it is a fine example of a better German Pilsner in my opinion.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pale yellow color with a nice creamy head. Aroma is the typical lager smell with grain, grass, and a slightly spicey hop aroma. Taste is actually pretty flavorful for a lager. This is one of the best hopped lagers I have tried. Overall this is a decent brew that ranks towards the top of my favorite lagers.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Someone gave me tis beer for free to see what I thought.
Drank out of the bottle, but was able to see nice head retention and form head.
Sweet malty aroma.
Tastes like a typical german lager. A little more flavor than american beers, but still a sort of thirst quencher, not a lot of flavors that get in the way.
Crisp carbonation, goes down very smooth.
While this beer was alright, I was offered another one and declined.

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

I actually got the first few pints of a mini-keg.

Emence 3" and bright white foamy head. Pale gold, pretty active.

Smells mostly wheaty and yiesty. Slight maltyness, slight hop.

Taste like an average German Pils to me, Wheaty and bready mild hop but sorta watered-down, so to speak.

Feels very clean and crisp but really light.

Not bad.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

16 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear, pale yellow with some bubbles that continue to rise to the surface for a while. Head is fairly frothy and airy, but not very thick.

Smell: This beer smells of light grains with slightly sweet malts. A bit of spicy hops are present as well.

Taste: Light, sweet malts, grains, and fresh grasses. A rather crisp and fresh taste. The spicy hops come out a bit later. Well balanced, though sometimes the aftertaste is a bit skewed with a weird bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied, and fairly smooth (with a slight bit of grainyness). A noticable amount of crisp carbonation as well.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer with a fairly low abv. Carbonation can sometimes be a bit distracting, however.

Overall, a very good German Pilsner. Nice taste, feel, smell, etc. Widely available and beats all of those other things at the store that claim to be German Pilsners. Give it a try, and don't be surprised if you end up getting it again!

Warsteiner Premium Verum from Warsteiner Brauerei